Going to Vietnam with family for a week any helpful advice

WilliamCave

I want to go to Hanoi French quarters for a week wi the family .

I haven't been to Vietnam for 10 years so I am sure many things have changed in Hanoi

I am looking for a good guest house in Hanoi cost is not really a issues , we're it has other westerners and restaurant , not looking for he big hotel .

I went to haLong bay before on a nice converted old wooden boat was very nice with bathrooms in all the suits non the boat is was a 2 night 3 days thing . We went to markets on the water and some very nice places

The reason I am asking is because I have not been there for 10'years and am sure nothing is the same meaning the tour companies or guest houses

Thanks in advance

I will defer to the opinion of other TVers who know what old Saigon used to be like but I think the new HCMC sucks as compared with how it used to be. I worked there from 1967-1969 so I know what the old city was like. I recently had lunch at Pho Nguyen Hue in Westminister, CA. It's light years better than the Pho Nguyen Hue in HCMC. I recommend visiting Hanoi for the beautiful sights and detlicious food.

I go to Vietnam annually now and the past 2 years have been in Hanoi for Tet. And I will be going back next year for 3 months.

In Hanoi, I stay at the Especen Hotel (ww.especen.vn) and definitely recommend it. I would not describe it as a guesthouse but it is a small, quaint hotel. I like it because it is on a small, quiet street with no car traffic and little motorbike traffic. The rooms are clean, furnished well-enough and some have mini balconies…and the staff is polite and helpful. Plus the price is right for me. They will provide a breakfast on request but there is not restaurant in the hotel. The hotel is also near Ly Quoc Su and Nha Tho streets which have lots of great restaurants, bakeries, and coffee shops…and only a 10-minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake. So basically you're in the middle of the Old Quarter.

If the Especen does not look right for you, there are a number of good, small hotels with restaurants on Hang Hanh Street which is only 3 minutes walking from Hoan Kiem Lake. Artisan Lakeview Hotel (http://artisanlakeviewhotel.com) might be a good option. This small street is also nice because it is not does not have much car and motorbike traffic, plus there are restaurants, etc on this street too. Also, my favorite pub, the Polite Pub, is on Hang Hanh St if you are looking for a great place for a drink and to relax.

And don't forget to eat bun cha (a local Hanoi dish) at on Hang Manh Street…the best bun cha anywhere!

I also haven't been to Halong Bay for a long time…plan to go back in March. But plenty of boats running 2 day, 1 night or 3 day, 2 night trips. Can just book a boat through the hotel of travel agency nearby.

Not sure if you plan to visit other areas, but my favorites are Quy Nhon and Dalat.

If you have further questions or need more help, feel free to PM me.

Edited by morpho
  • Like 1

remember the taxi drivers are ruthless,they make thai taxi drivers seem honest....ask the rates from a trusted person first...get an idea how much to pay...xin chao..i stayed in the french quarter last year and the exhaust fumes where so bad even in my room with all the windows shut i left the next day for hue...hue is beautyful..again beware the cyclo drivers..

Edited by mok199

Be very careful when crossing the road and pray!

i have a scar on my leg 17 stiches from getting hit crossing the road in mui ne,.he no lights and texting i sober and lucky to be alive..look both ways then look both ways again...then pray...

As with Pearl Harbour, keep an eye on all those zeroes on the currency! wink.png

When I was in Vietnam a few years back I tipped a waitress the equivalent of $10 instead of $1. The meal only cost around $5. But at least I made someone happy for the day!

been to "cozy hotel" a couple of years ago, nice and not expensive. located in the center of the town, very close to the lake and the market.

funny thing is that I didn't found anyone around speaking french! not even english! but at least, everyone is very good at using calculators!

Hanoi is lovely and if you can go the later part of this month for the best weather. I found a nice guest house with breakfast included not fast from the lake and not far from the old quarter.

WWW.HANOIOLDCENTRE HOTEL.COM. The room runaround 23 to 28 dollars a night and a lot of things are within a short walk and the hotel arranges very cheap tours. contact me if you have more questions

My wife and I began traveling to Hanoi a few years back for my visa run since Vientiane's Thai Embassy was always a mad house and I found Hanoi's Thai Embassy to be always empty, which meant that we could enjoy ourselves around town without having to sit at the Embassy in long lines for my visa. Anyway, we always stayed around the Hoan Kiem Lake area. I honestly believe this is the best area to stay since you will find everything you need within walking distance. As for a hotel, your best bet is to look at www.agoda.com and look at their recommended hotels.

To name a few:

Gia Bao Palace Hotel - Junior suite with terrace / 65 sq. meters / with breakfast for about 1,800 THB and the rates get cheaper if you don't need the big space, but for that price, it's not bad.

Gia Bao Grand Hotel - Premier Executive City View / 50 sq. meters / with breakfast for about 1,800. They also have cheaper rates for smaller rooms.

Tirant Hotel - We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was comfortable, clean and from what I can remember, it was quite big, but it didn't have a window, which would have been a problem, but it was raining upon arrival and it was late and we were tired, so we took the room with the thought of checking out the following day, but the staff were very nice and the room was really comfortable and a good size and we were mainly outside of the hotel at cafe's, shopping etc...that the window wasn't a biggie since we would arrive in time to watch a bit of tv and sleep. But they do have rooms with a window...if you stay here, it's a great location but be sure to ask for a room with a window to start because they don't have many.

Well, you get the gist...but take a look at agoda and on their map and find a hotel around the lake area. You have everything you will need in that general area.

Restaurant...you have got to try: Quan An Ngon - Great Vietnamese food, great atmosphere and CHEAP! The restaurant looks very, very nice and is our favorite place to eat in Hanoi. Now, there's a restaurant bar that looks chic across from the lake called Inbox...it's good, but pricey. They tend to have good live music, but like I said, it's expensive. I found the Sofitel's chic bar/restaurant is much nicer and much cheaper than Inbox. And of course for a GREAT STEAK, there's my buddy's restaurant, which is "El Gaucho's Argentinian Steakhouse".

Good luck on your travels to Hanoi and if you and your family decide on going somewhere else in Vietnam, I will suggest Hue. We really love this place and the restaurants and bars close later than in Hanoi...Midnight in Hanoi...you'll begin to see the police sweep the streets to make sure people are going indoors to their home or hotel.

OH...I almost forgot to mention the traffic at intersections around the lake...WOW!!!! I used to love and sit at a cafe and have my breakfast while I watched the traffic...it's incredible. The smart thing to do when crossing the road, is to just walk and DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON. Don't try and avoid motorbikes and cars by stopping and going and stopping and going...you'll only get hit. The reason they usually never have accidents at those intersections is because even though it looks disorganized, there's a constant flow and if you disrupt it by stopping and going and stopping and going, you'll disrupt the flow and you'll get hit. Just hold your breathe and hold on to your loved one and walk slowly without stopping. Motorbikes and cars will see you and will not hit you as they already adjusted their thoughts to adjust their speed as to not hit you and continue with the flow of traffic.

Edited by OPG

On our first trip, 8 years ago, we stayed at Hanoi GH on 44 Bat Su ( i think ) .. Along with the rooms booked a tour to Ha Long and train tickets to Sapa through them.

We were so pleased with the whole process, we took my father and mother a few years ago. We were told that the old place had closed, and that they had moved their operation to http://www.hanoioldcentrehotel.com another location, near the lake. If you google hanoi guest house, it comes to the same website - someone else mentioned it here.

We got the same excellent service - Breakfast was pretty bland - bread and eggs but rooms great all with balconies - they have an elevator which is a major + in these 6 floor colonial houses.

When we booked the tours / train tickets through them on both occasions - we were offered a choice of levels, and on both visits we found out that we didn't pay the most for the same experience as our colleagues, neither did we pay the least - but we found the pricing to be fair to a bargain.

The Ha Long experience was good - which is a well known minefield.

They had a top car / van service that we used to get to/from the train station so we didn't have to deal with the taxi drivers. There were a couple of other things they did that were well above and beyond and service here in Thailand, that made the whole experience of taking the old folks on holiday such an effortless experience. So much so, they wanted to go back next year. Great communication, Thoroughly recommended.

I don't think you will find it has changed that much - although there is now a big luxury mall there now.

Edited by recom273

We went last last new years eve and froze out butts off and both ended up with wicked colds and fevers! Make sure you check the season.

Cat Ba Island is a beautiful place, just don't go in Dec/Jan!!

Oh and in Hanoi the pollution is extremely bad.

It wasn't all bad though - we certainly enjoyed a lot about Hanoi - we just clearly didn't plan it or research it well enough!

P.S. How many street doughnuts can you eat? Be prepared to be pestered endlessly....

Vietnam is great. The one big piece of advice I give to anyone going to Nam is to always be on your guard for scams and rip offs. In Hanoi it seems like a national sport. But don't kick yourself when you fall for one. Think about the money you were scammed out of, and if that 100 baht really matters in the overall vacation. It most likely will not.

Otherwise, if your wife "needs" any special food, you may need to bring some of that. You may need to bring warm clothes depending which month you are coming and where you are from. You may need a visa for yourself and others in your group (I dont know who you are, OP).

Have fun. Relax. Enjoy the sites, enjoy the beer, enjoy the low low prices.