How can I get passed Bangkok?

geoffP

I want to drive my Phantom (200cc) from Phuket to Pattaya and I just can't see how to cross Bangkok. Can anyone guide me please?

The best I've come up with on my own is to put the bike (and me) on a train at Surat Thani and then another train out to Changchoengsao, from where the drive down should be easy????

Geoff

Could you not ride in on Rama II, take the 303, then over the Bhumibol Bridge, Rama III, then Rama IV to the end and turn onto Sukhumvit and ride out towards Chonburi?

It's not so bad. Traffic on Sukhumvit towards Bang Na is a little snarled at times, possibly because of the work they're doing on the BTS extension, which has a lane closed in some parts. I found Rama II ok, the bridge is a nice ride, Rama IV is often not too busy during the day.

(Also you'll go past K-Speed on Rama II soi 62 if you want any parts...)

• Like 1

I guess you'll be coming up Rama II. When you reach the end, I would take a right onto Suksawat Road then left over the Bhumipol Bridge, taking the Pu Chao Saming exit. Once at the lights at the bottom of the bridge, turn right and Pu Chao Saming Road will take you all the way to Sukhumvit. Turn left to Bang Na, then right onto Bang Na-Trat Rd and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks, Guys,

I have to admit the thought of driving in Bangkok petrifies me - I've only been there twice, as a tourist and, some years later, with a Thai friend. We were stuck, in a taxi, in traffic for what seemed like many hours.

I live in Sa Keow province, where the roads are open and free, they only have one name (Suwanasorn Rd.), the police venture forth on hi-days and holidays and people just get-on with one another. My Phantom 150 and I can travel about with little restraint. I drive as fast as I can, and as slow as I must.

But my son has given me his Phantom, when he returned to London, and it's in Phuket. Since I have business in Pattaya mid-November, I thought maybe I could combine the two "tasks" into one roadtrip. I.e. fly to Phuket, drive the bike up to BKK and around to Pattaya, then end up with the (relatively) easy run from Pattaya to Aranyaprathet. And thereafter being spoilt-for-choice which bike shall I use today?

II2 I think I shall be indebted to you for a long time - your google routes are splendid! I can follow the maps much easier than trying to work-out where Rama II (or was it IV) ends and (yet another) Sukhumvit begins.

Regards to all,

Geoff, the scaredy-cat non-Bangkokian.

Edited by geoffP
  • Like 2

I just drove in from Kan. pickedup the 4 highway into Bangkok and then picked up the road that will take you into Sathon and across the Taksin Bridge plenty of bikes using this route to cross the river. Take Sathon to Rama 4 then Rama 4 to Phra Kanong to Sukhumvit then right out of town. I have driven into Bangkok a few times in car and once across town on my PCX no big deal just study Google maps and there are several good Bangkok Rd. maps.

I guess you'll be coming up Rama II. When you reach the end, I would take a right onto Suksawat Road then left over the Bhumipol Bridge, taking the Pu Chao Saming exit. Once at the lights at the bottom of the bridge, turn right and Pu Chao Saming Road will take you all the way to Sukhumvit. Turn left to Bang Na, then right onto Bang Na-Trat Rd and Bob's your uncle.

This is by far the best way with little to no bkk traffic.

Put your bike on the train to Hualampong , then put it on another train to Pattaya station. Ride from there into Pattaya.

Alternatively, do what the Thais do, ride it to your local post office and post it to yourself in Pattaya ! Not as expensive as you might think when you consider petrol saved etc.

And yes ..............this is quite common !

• Like 1

Thanks, Guys,

I have to admit the thought of driving in Bangkok petrifies me - I've only been there twice, as a tourist and, some years later, with a Thai friend. We were stuck, in a taxi, in traffic for what seemed like many hours.

I live in Sa Keow province, where the roads are open and free, they only have one name (Suwanasorn Rd.), the police venture forth on hi-days and holidays and people just get-on with one another. My Phantom 150 and I can travel about with little restraint. I drive as fast as I can, and as slow as I must.

But my son has given me his Phantom, when he returned to London, and it's in Phuket. Since I have business in Pattaya mid-November, I thought maybe I could combine the two "tasks" into one roadtrip. I.e. fly to Phuket, drive the bike up to BKK and around to Pattaya, then end up with the (relatively) easy run from Pattaya to Aranyaprathet. And thereafter being spoilt-for-choice which bike shall I use today?

II2 I think I shall be indebted to you for a long time - your google routes are splendid! I can follow the maps much easier than trying to work-out where Rama II (or was it IV) ends and (yet another) Sukhumvit begins.

Regards to all,

Geoff, the scaredy-cat non-Bangkokian.

II2 is indeed the "Master of Routes", at least around Bangkok and his skill with Google Maps is unsurpassed. He is a great resource on this forum. I did Phuket to Pattaya about 3 weeks ago, and as noted came over the Taksin Bridge to Sukumvit and then through On Nut and passed the airport. It was after 9:00 at night, but traffic is not, I think, the problem. It is the limited road access for motorcycles and the lack of signs in English. If you follow the airport signs (blue sign with a plane) as I did for a while, you will be led to roads on which no bikes are allowed. I had lots of kind people that tried to help me, but language and a lack of clear directions kept me confused (and going in circles) for an hour. I finally paid a motorbike taxi B200 to guide me to Sukumvit in On Nut, and it was easy from there. Worst case, there are cheap guides at every corner who are happy to help and who are very knowledgeable.

The ride from Phuket to BKK is great. Route 4 is the perfect road for bikes. Phuket to Chumphon is an easy 1 day ride, and the rest can be done in 1 more. I would take an extra day (or 2) to see the sights, it really is a nice ride. The Phantom is a bit underpowered, but it should be fine to keep you moving at about 80 kph provided that you are riding alone. It would, I think, be a tough ride with a passenger.

Good luck!

This is by far the best way with little to no bkk traffic.

normally motorcycles are not allowed on Bhumipol Bridge tough so you pass that at your own risk. I also pas it sometime and never caught by police but nowadays police is strict so cannot direct people to that bridge.

My internet is too slow to get a good map now.

Follow Rama II (35) to 303, go south turn left at 3104. Not well marked but it is a big intersection. Then right when you get to the river. The ferry is on your left. (not far) 10 baht and you don't wait long. When you get to the other side follow that road all the way to Sukhumvit. Turn left and then right at Bang Na Trat highway. You will then be on your way to Pattaya.

I go this way regularly and traffic is minimal if you don't hit BKK before 9 am or after 4 pm.

• Like 1

Put your bike on the train to Hualampong , then put it on another train to Pattaya station. Ride from there into Pattaya.

Alternatively, do what the Thais do, ride it to your local post office and post it to yourself in Pattaya ! Not as expensive as you might think when you consider petrol saved etc.

And yes ..............this is quite common !

My brain hurts! As I said before, I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to Bangkok, and am getting more and more confused with the road names. Which bridges can I cross? Which ones are verboten? Etc. etc.

I'm getting very tempted to accept Denim's advice and use the train. And its sleeper car for me! 12-hours on the train beats risking fines and/or the hoosecow for going the wrong way in the city.

So, many thanks to all of you for your suggestions, which I'll try when I'm a bit older or feeling more daredevil.

Cheers,

Geoff

Aranyaprathet

It's either post #4 or #15. Post #4 is always possible, post #15 is not possible later in the evening. Don't know what time they stop operating but I arrived there once at around 9 pm or so (I believe) and the ferry was closed. Since then I only take the bridge.

Both options are very straightforward. No need to worry about it.

Edited by Nickymaster

Surely this is part of the fun? For me it is anyway. I love the excitement of setting off to try to get to somewhere I haven't been before, or follow a new route.

I had no idea the Bhumibol bridge was closed to motorcycles - I should probably pay more attention to the signs. I've been over it a number of times recently during the day and not been caught - I guess I've just been lucky.

So in this case the best option is the bridge at Saphan Taksin? In which case it's probably easier from here on in, since you can go straight from there to the junction with Rama IV, then turn right and keep going all the way to Sukhumvit. Unless you're completely useless at navigation, this really shouldn't be difficult...

• Like 1

Dont scare from bangkok. Drivers/riders are the most decent and best in Thailand.

Only beware of Bangkok traffic during rush hours.

So, between 07.00 to 10.00 and 16.00 to 20.00 weekdays, try not to cross Bangkok apart from these times, it should be totally fine.

Bangkok is cool study your maps and go for it. When leaving the city last week took the wrong exit and went north and west from my desired route but just figured I am going north no problem and I would eventually be given a road to the Don Mueang and that is exactly what happened no big deal by the way I am 69 years old just go for it

• Like 1