Thais spend more time reading

webfact

Thais spend more time reading

17-10-2557-14-58-03-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Statistical Office said Thai people spent 37 minutes on reading in one day.

The latest finding conducted from the population of over six years old in 2013 revealed that reading time has increased 13% from the last survey two years ago to 81.8%.

If taken into consideration the reading of the people in the country, Bangkok recorded the highest reading of 94.6%, followed by central and southern regions.

The reading time was 37 minutes a day or two minutes higher than the last survey.

On the survey of sources of reading, it was revealed that books and journals remain the top source, though it was 0.1% lower than the last survey.

However Internet remained the second source and increased 6% from last survey, followed by tablets and smart phones which also rose 0.3% and 1.8% respectively.

The largest group of readers is children, followed by youths and adults.

Home remains the place where the people have chosen to read, followed by private business places (coffee houses, restaurants), working places and educational places.

It was strange to find that educational places are less attractive for reading than private business places because private business places have better environmental atmosphere for reading.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais-spend-time-reading/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-17

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a joke. I have introduced Thais to the book store (apparently, they don't frequent them) and offered to buy some/any books and the reaction was like I was going to pull their teeth. Lead a horse to the pond...but this headline is complete BS.

Read it again,it means people are reading web pages on their phone, not reading books. I can't remember the last time I saw a Thai reading a novel. Even at school. A teacher once saw Germinal by Zola on my desk and asked to borrow it. I few days later he came back and asked me if I had something which was more 'fun'.

• Like 1

"It was strange to find that educational places are less attractive for reading than private business places because private business places have better environmental atmosphere for reading."

In other words, people are not working but they read books during their working hours.

Charming...................

• Like 2

This must be a joke. I have introduced Thais to the book store (apparently, they don't frequent them) and offered to buy some/any books and the reaction was like I was going to pull their teeth. Lead a horse to the pond...but this headline is complete BS.

How many bookstores in Thailand? Do you think they sell any books?

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/bookstores.asp

• Like 1

Hmm Interesting!!!!

168 hours in a week divide that by 3 =56 hours. that spreads over a week / 8 hours for sleeping, 8hours for working 8hours for personal (Grooming, Reading, movies, etc) If the statistics show .35mins reading per day. I mean reading a book or Newspaper, not the cartoons or text messages on a phone. They would be conscious of the world around them. which is roughly / 4 hours a week, which is rougly 16 hours a month. That is not a record! So no pat on the shoulder, rather a warning to educationist that what you are teaching is not sinking in or habits of playing with the phone on text messages is stunting ones growth in vocabulary and makes the socially unable to integrate!

Sorry to dampen the hype.... but some attention should be made on the educational level.

It was strange to find that educational places are less attractive for reading than private business places because private business places have better environmental atmosphere for reading.

Why read something educational and enlightening at school, when you can get paid to read Facebook at work?

Pure BS.

Read it again,it means people are reading web pages on their phone, not reading books. I can't remember the last time I saw a Thai reading a novel. Even at school. A teacher once saw Germinal by Zola on my desk and asked to borrow it. I few days later he came back and asked me if I had something which was more 'fun'.

...give him Nana.

The only time my maid involves herself with reading material is when she collects my old newspapers so she can sell them by the kilo.

But on the other hand, it was just last week that I saw a local reading an actual book (not a comic) on the Skytrain. She must've belonged to those 81.8% who allegedly do read on a daily. The other 50 people in the car - many of whom played silly games on their smartphones or checked their FB messages - must've belonged to those 18.2% who don't.

Edited by Misterwhisper

It's all very well to read, but understanding what is read is more important. Sadly, those Thais who read but don't understand rarely ask for help. To do so would be a 'loss of face', which is something to be avoided at all costs. As a result educational standards never improve.

• Like 1

The only time my maid involves herself with reading material is when she collects my old newspapers so she can sell them by the kilo.

But on the other hand, it was just last week that I saw a local reading an actual book (not a comic) on the Skytrain. She must've belonged to those 81.8% who allegedly do read on a daily. The other 50 people in the car - many of whom played silly games on their smartphones or checked their FB messages - must've belonged to those 18.2% who don't.

I can't read in a moving vehicle as it makes me nauseous. Maybe you were lucky they weren't reading.

...give him Nana.

.........what a naughty girl she was. I nearly gave him de Sade's Justine.

You must live in an odd place as whenever I go into a bookshop there are usually only Thais reading and looking for books.

• Like 2