Still Possible To Change A Tourist Visa To An O Visa

I was under the impression that is was possible and not particularly uncommon to change a tourist visa to an O visa in Thailand, for the purpose of a one year retirement extension. I mean a real tourist visa, not a 30 day entry stamp.

Any current information about this? I think this was done in Bangkok, but is it possible to do that in Pattaya now?

This is kind of a big deal to me. I don't want to deal with the extra hassle of getting an O-A visa in the US, and it is my understanding it is difficult to get a 90 day O visa in the US if you don't have the more traditional justifications. Also, if you tell the embassy or consulate you are going for a retirement extension in Thailand, they would likely not accept that and suggest applying for the O-A, correct?

So, could I get a tourist visa in the US and then change it to an O in Thailand, before applying for the retirement extension? Failing that, would Penang be amenable to asking for a 3 month 0 for that purpose?

Any advise with this much appreciated (even by PM). Currently in the US.

Edited by Thaiquila

Believe the extra hassle has been well worthwhile for many in the USA who obtained the multi entry type as they have been able to use that for almost 2 years by playing the exit time right.

You should be able to change a tourist visa if you have at least 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp and am quite sure that this is done in Pattaya now. Being over 50 and with a show of your money in a bank account here in Thailand there is no problem getting a non immigrant visa from Penang from reports.

Believe the extra hassle has been well worthwhile for many in the USA who obtained the multi entry type as they have been able to use that for almost 2 years by playing the exit time right.

You should be able to change a tourist visa if you have at least 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay stamp and am quite sure that this is done in Pattaya now. Being over 50 and with a show of your money in a bank account here in Thailand there is no problem getting a non immigrant visa from Penang from reports.

Thanks Lopburi. So it sounds like if I got a tourist visa, there would be no need to go to Penang to get an O visa.

As far as the advantages of the O-A, I understand you don't have to move any money to a Thai bank account until your first extension, so that is an advantage. And making it last two years would mean 2 years without having to import money into a Thai bank account and avoid the hassle of an extension application after one year.

To make the visa last 2 years before needed an extension, what exactly is the trick to make it last two years?

Each entry has been getting a one year permitted to stay stamp so you make your final entry a few days before the O-A visa expiration date to receive another years stay. You do need to obtain a re entry permit if you travel during that second year however.

When I changed my tourist visa to 'O' a little over a year ago, money had to be transfered. 400,000 I believe. Had to do all the paperwork same as applying for retirement. Not just a matter of going for a new stamp. Then you must do it all again for the extension. If you do this to avoid hassle, just get the 'O' in your own country.

You have to have the money here (or proof of pension) to obtain a retirement extension of stay here and to change visa class will also require this. The advantage of doing it here is the procedures are well documented and forms are easy to obtain. In your home country Consulates seem to require odd items and methods at times so it can be confusing - especially the medical and police reports as western doctors may assume they want a complete medical (not the case) and law enforcement may give you a run around. The copy certification in Thailand is you sign each page. Consulates may require other methods.

The official change of visa procedure for retirement is below from Immigration web site:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O) FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

A bank statement from a bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 bath. Or

A guarantor-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month.Or

Evidence proving that the total amount of money from the pension and bank account amounts to the sum stated above.(800,000 baht)

Remarks

The applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 for details.