EC's Somchai says polls likely in Jan 2016

Lite Beer

EC's Somchai says polls likely in Jan 2016
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The next general election could take place in January 2016, though it could be deferred by two or three months if there is a referendum on the new Constitution, Election Commission member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said yesterday.

Somchai made this prediction in Pattaya, where the Election Commission (EC) held its first annual seminar with all provincial electoral officials.

He said the timing was later than he initially expected, which was by the end of 2015. However, he said, this was due to the several tasks set by the National Council for Peace and Order, including a new electoral law that will need to be written once a new Constitution is in place.

"It's up to those in power to decide," Somchai said, adding that for the meantime provincial election officials had to find a way to improve elections to prevent corrupt politicians from cheating their way into power. Somchai has called on provincial EC officials to stand united and prove to the public that they're competent and impartial.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen, meanwhile, acknowledged yesterday that it was a tough time for the agency as some people have been floating the idea of dissolving the commission altogether. He told the provincial EC officials not to lose heart, adding that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has told him that the EC was doing an excellent job.

Supachai also admitted that some people have been faulting the EC for being unable to eradicate vote buying.

"The EC needs to coexist in a democratic system. If we are disunited, we shall be dissolved."

The chairman said the commission was legally bound by Article 35 of the interim charter to seek a way to tackle vote buying. He stressed that provincial EC officials have a prominent role to play in solving the problem, and that he was ready for suggestions, including ways of improving the investigation system on alleged electoral fraud.

Prawit Rattanapian, an EC commissioner in charge of public participation, said if Thai democracy could be likened to a tree, then the Kingdom was at a stage where the soil was being prepared for planting the tree.

He said schools should educate students about citizen's duty and this must be not based on learning by rote, but by enabling students to understand and analyse the issue. Prawit also asked provincial EC staff to look into ways of achieving this by discussing the matter with students so Thailand can eventual develop into a democracy like other civilised nations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/ECs-Somchai-says-polls-likely-in-Jan-2016-30245736.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-18

A referendum and an election. Surely an election would be an endorsement or otherswise.

That said I don't see any way that those who have been put in to prime positions will want to relinquish them any time soon. Watch this one drag out and perhaps somebody else emerging from the ranks to take over.

• Like 1

Still waiting for Somchai's report on his 14 day beeno to Scotland....

Maybe classified as a ' dirty little ' State Secret ! There are somethings the public are best not to know about giggle.gif

Wonder if he learned the words of ' I belong to Glasgow ' or ' Flower of Scotland ' ?

Essential wi' a good few haufs on board !

A referendum and an election. Surely an election would be an endorsement or otherswise.

That said I don't see any way that those who have been put in to prime positions will want to relinquish them any time soon. Watch this one drag out and perhaps somebody else emerging from the ranks to take over.

An election would not necessarily be an endorsement for every thing. When Yingluck was elected I don't think it was an endorsement for her to single mindedly mount an over riding drive for Thaksin's return. Yet that is what they got.

I for one believe the Constitution and the EC deserve to be presented to the citizens of Thailand with out any strings attached.

I have to admit that predicting a 2016 election does not bode well. How ever as you say some one new may emerge from the ranks. I have no proof of it just a feeling that they would be welcome with open arms.

An election would not necessarily be an endorsement for every thing. When Yingluck was elected I don't think it was an endorsement for her to single mindedly mount an over riding drive for Thaksin's return. Yet that is what they got.

I for one believe the Constitution and the EC deserve to be presented to the citizens of Thailand with out any strings attached.

I have to admit that predicting a 2016 election does not bode well. How ever as you say some one new may emerge from the ranks. I have no proof of it just a feeling that they would be welcome with open arms.

The problem is that that person will be from the current "leadership" and may be even worse and bring in even further restrictions. But just speculation at this point.

What they got, when Yingluck was elected, was a government chosen by and answerable to the people.

Remember, when the opposition took to the streets, Yingluck dissolved parliament and called elections.

She returned power to the people to let them decide who should be running the country.

Elections are democracies self-correcting mechanism.

Democratic elections do not automatically give you democracy/good governance. AS WAS PROVED.......do you honestly think PTP should have been given another 3 years --another chance without some form of intervention/reform/stability ??

• Like 2

Really, is it just me? This constant talk of 'elections' and when they are likely to take place is beyond bloody bizarre in a country where NO ONE is even allowed to discuss politics. How in the name of sanity are political parties able to form and thence present their policies to any 'electorate'! Absurd blink.png

• Like 1

Really, is it just me? This constant talk of 'elections' and when they are likely to take place is beyond bloody bizarre in a country where NO ONE is even allowed to discuss politics. How in the name of sanity are political parties able to form and thence present their policies to any 'electorate'! Absurd blink.png

Just be patient, it takes time to load the bases to ensure the "right" result.............................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What they got, when Yingluck was elected, was a government chosen by and answerable to the people.

Remember, when the opposition took to the streets, Yingluck dissolved parliament and called elections.

She returned power to the people to let them decide who should be running the country.

Democratic elections do not automatically give you democracy/good governance. AS WAS PROVED.......do you honestly think PTP should have been given another 3 years --another chance without some form of intervention/reform/stability ??

What are you afraid of?

Dusit surveys say that 90+% of people think General Prayut and the Junta are doing a good job and would elect him as PM if given the chance.

The problem the military seems to always have with democracy is that the military it loses its political power over Thai citizens rather quickly in a free society and has to repeatedly step in to reset its absolute power and assert its brand of dictatorial leadership - the very powers not allowed to a democratic elected government.

• Like 2

Just replying to jinjag.

1. Yes they do.

2. Yes and no.

3. No it wasn't

4. Yes they should have.

5. Yes it should have

6. Yes, the Parliament purpose is this.

7. Yes.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 2

Still waiting for Somchai's report on his 14 day beeno to Scotland....

Why?

Did you wait for the reports all the trips that Yingluck went on, or all the trips that the PTP MPs went on to see Thaksin or how about when the PTP Foreign Minister took Thaksin his restored passport.

The Ombudsman is still waiting for the report on that one and they are entitled to know.

• Like 2

Why does the EC still exist?

It couldn't meet its constitutional responsibilities under the 2007 Constitution to hold elections with 60 days of the dissolution of the parliament that would have been in December 2013, finally held elections in February 2015, and then was unable to provide secure polling places so that ALL eligible Thais could vote, causing the Constitutional Court to invalidate the entire election, Even then when the interim government tried to reschedule elections in May 2014 the EC continued to stumble and delay until the military coup gladly relieved the EC of its electoral responsibilities by abolishing the constitution.

And of course as a consequence of the substantial delays caused by the EC, the interim government was not able under the 2007 Constitution to borrow funds to pay the rice farmers for their pledged rice to the government. With the coup and abolishment of the constitution the NCPO did borrow the funds to payoff the farmers.

So again why does the EC still exist? One can only believe because it was a loyal creation of the previous Junta, obediant to the interests of retaining military power, and continues to serve the agenda of the Junta. If this was not true, I'd expect out of a sense of ethics and loyalty to a democratic government that its members would voluntarily resign in a sign of protest to the coup's abolishment of the Constitution and its legal electoral authority. But instead it's as if the coup never happened and somehow the coup leaders simply replaced the Yingluck government leaders. For the EC it seems life goes on uninterrupted as it should for the priviledged class.

• Like 2

Why does the EC still exist?

It couldn't meet its constitutional responsibilities under the 2007 Constitution to hold elections with 60 days of the dissolution of the parliament that would have been in December 2013, finally held elections in February 2015, and then was unable to provide secure polling places so that ALL eligible Thais could vote, causing the Constitutional Court to invalidate the entire election, Even then when the interim government tried to reschedule elections in May 2014 the EC continued to stumble and delay until the military coup gladly relieved the EC of its electoral responsibilities by abolishing the constitution.

And of course as a consequence of the substantial delays caused by the EC, the interim government was not able under the 2007 Constitution to borrow funds to pay the rice farmers for their pledged rice to the government. With the coup and abolishment of the constitution the NCPO did borrow the funds to payoff the farmers.

So again why does the EC still exist? One can only believe because it was a loyal creation of the previous Junta, obediant to the interests of retaining military power, and continues to serve the agenda of the Junta. If this was not true, I'd expect out of a sense of ethics and loyalty to a democratic government that its members would voluntarily resign in a sign of protest to the coup's abolishment of the Constitution and its legal electoral authority. But instead it's as if the coup never happened and somehow the coup leaders simply replaced the Yingluck government leaders. For the EC it seems life goes on uninterrupted as it should for the priviledged class.

Let me start with the time line of this universe first. PM Yingluck dissolved the House on the 9th of December 2013. The new elections were set for the 2nd of February 2014.

Next what with anti-government protests the E.C. asked the police to help secure polling stations, but the police failed miserably. One may even say things got worse. Even the Emergency Decree didn't help (being prohibited to gather with more than four voters at a time and so). Etc., etc.

Now as for the E.C. well reforms may be on the way, but discussions didn't really start yet. Once they do a lot of academics will surely offer their valueble advise on what a E.C. should do and how to ensure it can do that. Without being pressured by politicians or governments on how to do that.

Just replying to jinjag.

1. Yes they do.

2. Yes and no.

3. No it wasn't

4. Yes they should have.

5. Yes it should have

7. Yes.

Think there were only 3 to sort of answer.---------------------1 your totally wrong

Just replying to jinjag.

1. Yes they do.

2. Yes and no.

3. No it wasn't

4. Yes they should have.

5. Yes it should have

7. Yes.

Think there were only 3 to sort of answer.---------------------1 your totally wrong

Let me help you a little bit.

Democratic elections do not automatically give you democracy(1)/good governance(2). AS WAS PROVED(3).......do you honestly think PTP should have been given another 3 years(4) --another chance without some form of intervention(5)/reform(6)/stability(7) ??

• Like 1

Yesterday Ginjag insisted that there would definitely be elections next year and called me a propaganda tool for informing him otherwise. I look forward to your apology Ginjag !

Since we didn't have this news yesterday, it would suggest you asking for an apology suggest you might see him as "propaganda" tool. It would seem you should shake hands thumbsup.gif

Why bother with an election? ''Guys, you can vote, but only for these friends of mine.''

Pointless. Voting isn't compulsory in Thailand, but I can see that changing before the next 'election'. A bit like N.Korea's leaders saying ''Hey, look. I've got 100% of the vote.''

As for the muppet on page one saying a survey showed 90% of Thais are happy with Prayeth, does he realise that to say 'no' could land you in jail? If someone came up to me in Bangers with a clipboard (and perhaps a soldier next to them...I wouldn't put it past them) and asked me that question, I know what my answer would be. I'm daft, not stupid. Neither ar the Thais, despite what a few of you may think.

Like I said, there is no point in an election (the way it's being set out for 2016). Just put the uniforms back on and run the country.

Just replying to jinjag.

1. Yes they do.

2. Yes and no.

3. No it wasn't

4. Yes they should have.

5. Yes it should have

7. Yes.

I am totally right. Your daily spouting here is democracy is better when looking from the end of barrel and we cannot really debate anything really because of "the fluid situation". This is why most posters do not engage you. Their other opinion could land them in trouble.

• Like 2