Visa Exempt

Can someone please give me a quick answer ? Can I change my tourist exempt 30 day to a Tourist Visa (60 - 90 day ) or to a Non Immigrant O , IN THAILAND . I am travelling very soon on a NZ passport . If yes , can I do it in Chiang Mai ? Thanks

At the immigration office.

Before someone jumps on me, let me add that you could convert a visa exempt entry to a non-imm 'O' visa is you were married or having a Thai child, or over 50 with proof of funds.

Edited by paz

No, you can not. However you can extend for 30 days more, cost Bt 1,900 no documents are required.

I keep reading where this isn't true. Is it?

Of course it is true. See the announcement on the immigration website, http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

There are many people that have gotten them.

There are people from certain countries that cannot get one though. New Zealand is not one of them.

No, you can not. However you can extend for 30 days more, cost Bt 1,900 no documents are required.

I keep reading where this isn't true. Is it?

Of course it is true. See the announcement on the immigration website, http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

There are many people that have gotten them.

There are people from certain countries that cannot get one though. New Zealand is not one of them.

I'm from the US. Ok, good to hear all the other folks saying they can't an extension at their local immigration office are wrong! Guess they are lying. Edited by burkmere

Ok...appreciate the info. I'm going to so that in a month then after I arrive!

Just for you to know, if you want to stay longer than 30 days the best is to get a tourist visa, as it is cheaper and saves you a visit and waiting at immigration. I suppose you can obtain it by post.