Lack of quality products and professional labor in Thailand

Sabaisabai1

The guy that built our house 12 years ago has about five houses on the go at once. He is a country builder, equally at home building houses and rice factories.The quality is obvious, sometimes the design similarities are too. Our house is large, modern, two storey Thai style that will never fall down and would probably withstand a small nuclear bomb. The builder is not the cheapest, but he delivers on time, his quotes are accurate to the last baht, and his workforce have been with him for more than 10 years. But this is country thailand - it's different here.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because i would like some better quality products once in a while instead of importing everything. I know why things are not available, I know why many Thais suck at construction (but I am the first to admit there are good guys just real hard to find).

I can remember my dad working in my shower last year and him cursing after we went to 3 shops (home pro / Thaiwatsadu / local shop) and getting connection pvc pics. Once back most sizes were not correct the threads were not good. the stuff kept leaking and breaking.

These kind of things can give a lot of frustration when doing something that should be relatively easy.

In the years I have imported many tools and stuff as it was the only way. Just some good drills for masonry were impossible to find (even in home pro) We are not talking average quality but good ones. So I let dad buy it.. up to a 1000bt per drill bit. Result, much easier work while laying tiles.. combined with some diamond hole cutters my floor looked far superior to what the Thais did before.

So good tools help you do a job easier and people who know about those tools and how to use them. Yes id pay extra for a good Thai or other products, problem is its hard to acquire.

One can complain about stuff without putting Thais down, that is exactly what I am doing.

and it wont do you a bit of good other than to type yourself as a whiner

Yep, one of the things one has to put up with living in this fair land; crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables. It was always a bit iffy but is worse today than even just a few years ago and you will never save money by buying cheap as you'll be replacing stuff every five minutes. Of course, the floodgates have opened from China, but there are different grades and much of what is sold here uses the cheapest available plastics beads and metals. What doesn't fall apart within weeks will be zapped by the frequent surges and brownouts in the lecky supply. And yes it is also exasperating trying to find a decent tradesman. They do exist, but as they are so few and far between, they are typically always busy. While paying for a tradesman back home is big bucks, there is absolutely no comparison in the quality vs choice vs cost of DIY products, also extending to foodstuffs in supermarkets. These are all very real issues for those with a discerning mind and you will always get typical, throw-away comments like 'go home if you don't like it' ... usually from people who won't have the truth revealed about their precious.

Anyway, in conclusion, crap quality products sort of goes hand-in-hand with rubbish service and general apathy, but we wouldn't have good ole Muang Thai any other way, would we? ermm.gif

If I said everything here is of great quality and good enough to build world class autos, hard drives and many other things you would say I was an apologist. On the other hand if the typical TV poster says, "crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables" he is considered accurate.

Dave I notice you have never started a topic on Thai Visa. When I have a problem I start a topic to try to solve it. I asked for help with a home grease trap once and not one of the advanced craftsmen on Thai Visa had ever heard of putting in a grease trap at home. I asked in another thread if anyone has ever had a true visions phone and if anyone has hooked up a PS3 wireless to 3bb. No luck in getting an answer but I asked. And then there is the difference in terminology that one has to wade through when discussing things like a ground wire. But I try.

A guy on Thai Visa showed me how to pause my TV during a movie so I could go to the toilet. I would never have known how to do that.

There are 4700 references to diamond tipped drill bits on AliBaba. Another guy listed a Thai source for snap on tools.

You want great clothes here find a tailor but you might have to start a topic to find one.

I have a low opinion of people who don't start topics and who don't help others looking for things. A throw away comment like, "crap quality products right across the board, from tools to homeware and consumables" Will get you comments back like go home where you know where to find stuff.

I've seen many posters on Thai Visa who have never been to Thailand blathering on about crap quality when they never ask any questions of where to find quality or the things they need and I wonder if they are astroturfers.

you dont have to rattle on about thai quality and workmanship. you know what you want. ask for it and be done

Could you direct me as to we're I can get snap on tools here or like quality ?

I know little off topic

Thanks

Snap-on (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

5th Floor, Talomsin Building

924 Rama 3 Road

Bangpongpang Yannawa

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Ph: (66/2) 294-9660

Fax: (66/2)294-9665

Thanks for the info

Because i would like some better quality products once in a while instead of importing everything. I know why things are not available, I know why many Thais suck at construction (but I am the first to admit there are good guys just real hard to find).

I can remember my dad working in my shower last year and him cursing after we went to 3 shops (home pro / Thaiwatsadu / local shop) and getting connection pvc pics. Once back most sizes were not correct the threads were not good. the stuff kept leaking and breaking.

These kind of things can give a lot of frustration when doing something that should be relatively easy.

In the years I have imported many tools and stuff as it was the only way. Just some good drills for masonry were impossible to find (even in home pro) We are not talking average quality but good ones. So I let dad buy it.. up to a 1000bt per drill bit. Result, much easier work while laying tiles.. combined with some diamond hole cutters my floor looked far superior to what the Thais did before.

So good tools help you do a job easier and people who know about those tools and how to use them. Yes id pay extra for a good Thai or other products, problem is its hard to acquire.

One can complain about stuff without putting Thais down, that is exactly what I am doing.

That is your opinion but not many here have a high opinion of you anyway. So it does not really impress me.

That is your opinion but not many here have a high opinion of you anyway. So it does not really impress me.

lol! the old 5 th grade "nobody likes you" gambit!! well played little fella!!!

lol! the old 5 th grade "nobody likes you" gambit!! well played little fella!!!

Not really things like that have a cause.. your just an unpleasant person. Old probably too from your postings with your daughters going to uni. So why would I care what some old unfriendly expat thinks. I seen your post its rare for you to say or do something positive unlike many of the other posters. Back in the 5th grade you probably did not know any better but right now you should. As you don't its probably some kind of anti social disorder.

Not really things like that have a cause.. your just an unpleasant person. Old probably too from your postings with your daughters going to uni. So why would I care what some old unfriendly expat thinks. I seen your post its rare for you to say or do something positive unlike many of the other posters. Back in the 5th grade you probably did not know any better but right now you should. As you don't its probably some kind of anti social disorder.

yes really pal. but it was usually the little girls that used that line! lol

You can get all the quality tools from Europe and USA in Thailand. They have their dealers here and cost twice or triple the price from what they are sold in Europe or USA.

So I mostly import from Germany.

You can get all the quality tools from Europe and USA in Thailand. They have their dealers here and cost twice or triple the price from what they are sold in Europe or USA.

Tools aren't really the problem you can import those, but when you have to start to import stuff like pipes and so on because the threads are not good or the sizes vary too much ect that is a bigger problem.

Most of my tools I bought here.

So back then the girls also did not like you..so you moved to Thailand.. that figures. Thanks for clearing that up.

So back then the girls also did not like you..so you moved to Thailand.. that figures. Thanks for clearing that up.

not much as a fairy tale writer, you better keep your day job

not much as a fairy tale writer, you better keep your day job

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree with the OP for that quality products in Thailand are very hard to find. I want to add to that that also quality brands from the USA (Calphalon, Lazyboy, and some more) are crap as well. They don't last long enough for what they cost.

Truevalue has many shops in BKK, they have all american products which are not bad but also are not German or Japanese quality. Their service is bad though and they can't speak english.

Why should they? They're in Thailand. The overwhelming majority of their customers are Thai. Do you expect BMW salesmen in Bangkok to speak German? Ferrari salesmen to speak Italian?

Well maybe because Bangkok is also a hub for many things? That Truevalue could sell a lot more if the personell spoke english. Up to them. Also all the manuals for their products are in english.

And yes i expected the sales from BMW to speak english on the BKK motor show in Impact, they immediatly offered me a testride in their topmodel as well. But a Toyotasalesman in the biggest Toyotadealer of Bangkok can't speak a word english. Been there done that.

Why do you expect them to speak English? Is it because you speak English? Why not Mandarin? Do you speak Mandarin? Why do you expect a Toyota salesman to speak English in Thailand? Shouldn't they be speaking Japanese?

How many languages do you speak? What languages do you speak apart from English?

topee_zpsa370a4c7.jpg

I speak 5 languages, and you?

For the rest i 'm not going to reply to your nonsense, since when is mandarin a worldlanguage?

Tools aren't really the problem you can import those, but when you have to start to import stuff like pipes and so on because the threads are not good or the sizes vary too much ect that is a bigger problem.

Most of my tools I bought here.

In Chinatown they sell the copper pipes and fittings, same as in europe.

You can buy high grade materials here if you are willing to pay the money. Similarly if you get 3 quotes from workmen and the highest also has the longest waiting list then you should hire that one if you want the job done properly. Much like "back home". Wherever that is in the world!

• Like 1

Oh dear

Who on earth needs snap on tools?

Anyone in Europe would never ever consider buying American appliances - engineering from the fifties.

This is just yet another Thai bashing post- maybe you set up Thai bashing . Com.

So good luck with your container

• Like 1

Every manufacturing country have 2 kind of products. One for the internal mass market, and another one for export, usually a lot more expensive. Those just for export products factories do special trainning and pay good wages to select the best people for the job, use the best material, and have a very high quality control

You can complaint about China too, but all the "original" Aple products are made in China, and can be made in Thailand too. Needs a lot of research to find where to buy here, or in China,Taiwan, Korea, and other Asian countries, the products of high quality made just for export...and you will get a big surprise. Even in the US, products of very high quality and design only sells by mail order, or in few special stores. Only millionaires are part of its mailing list.

Tipical labor and products in Brazil for internal mass market are worst than in Thailand, but...all the "Italian" fashion leather shoes and bags are made in Brazil for the last 20 years. Very soon you will buy an IPhone 7 made in Thailand by Apple Computers...Just wait....or pay attention when you buy MADE IN USA....MADE IN FRANCE...MADE IN ITALY.... MADE IN THE UK....a very expensive "originaL" item. Some countries allows its products's buyer's company to stamp MADE IN.......WHERE EVER on some of their products from a long time now.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Oh dear

Who on earth needs snap on tools?

Anyone in Europe would never ever consider buying American appliances - engineering from the fifties.

This is just yet another Thai bashing post- maybe you set up Thai bashing . Com.

So good luck with your container

When I was a mechanic I could only dream of buying Snap On tools ( too expensive ), instead I had to put up with poorer quality Britool and rubbish Sidchrome.

My prize socket set was made by Koken though- excellent quality.

Re Snap On tools when i brought some here, Dead Blow hammer cover disintegrated left with a rather puny hammercrying.gif , tool for removing door panels handle broke offw00t.gif perhaps Snap On know what happens in this environmentwink.png I also brought a cheap Draper Dead Blow no problems as good as new.

Edited by kartman

Re Snap On tools when i brought some here, Dead Blow hammer cover disintegrated left with a rather puny hammercrying.gif , tool for removing door panels handle broke offw00t.gif perhaps Snap On know what happens in this environmentwink.png I also brought a cheap Draper Dead Blow no problems as good as new.

In 2003, the Dr. Martens company came close to bankruptcy. On 1 April that year, under pressure from declining sales, the company ceased making shoes in the United Kingdom, and moved all production to China and Thailand. Five factories and two shops were closed in the UK as a result of this decision, and more than 1000 of the firm's employees lost their jobs.

Now I only buy Thai shoes.

In 2003, the Dr. Martens company came close to bankruptcy. On 1 April that year, under pressure from declining sales, the company ceased making shoes in the United Kingdom, and moved all production to China and Thailand. Five factories and two shops were closed in the UK as a result of this decision, and more than 1000 of the firm's employees lost their jobs.

Now I only buy Thai shoes.

I once bought some Dr Martens boots. They were rubbish. Some companies deserve to go out of business.