Phuket officials in Patong garbage beach clean-up

Lite Beer

Phuket officials in Patong garbage beach clean-up
The Phuket News

1413701325_1.jpg

Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: Governor Nisit Jansomwong led a team of Phuket officials, including Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup and other members of the media, public and private sectors to clean up Patong beach this morning.

The publicity / "awareness raising" campaign follows a large meeting of officials and public and private sector representatives from every municipality on the island on Thursday (Oct 16).

Phuket's solid waste is expected to grow by as much as 10 per cent this year.

For more on Phuket's garbage situation and drive to clean up the island, grab a copy of The Phuket News next Friday (Oct 24).

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-in-patong-garbage-beach-clean-up-49223.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-19

Wheres all the 'Is great how this has improved the beaches' brigade...? So all this garbage, all we have to do now is stop tourists from using the beaches and obviously prevent crap from washing ashore, and then the Thai people can enjoy it as it is theirs... Progress in Paradise blink.png

I never had any issues with the sunbed guys, massage women or beach vendors, just the jet Ski's that got on my T iT$ and mithering Touts around Loma Park when having a stroll..., F ookers!

• Like 1

While there was a lot wrong with the beach chair system, mostly the fact that they totally dominated the beach with no "free" beach available to those that wanted to avoid them. Also since the cleanup we have heard about the corruption and collusion associated with the assignment of areas.

However, I also agree that they provided a welcome and decent service.

They were inexpensive, provided food and drink thoughtful shade adjustment and i felt some security for my possessions when I went in the water. I also noticed that they were quite fastidious in keeping their area clean of litter.

I think the complete clearing away has been a mistake was not the correct response to problems.

There needs to be a proper licensing system and oversight that regulates their activities and limits them to no more than say 40% of the sand area.

• Like 2

While there was a lot wrong with the beach chair system, mostly the fact that they totally dominated the beach with no "free" beach available to those that wanted to avoid them. Also since the cleanup we have heard about the corruption and collusion associated with the assignment of areas.

However, I also agree that they provided a welcome and decent service.

They were inexpensive, provided food and drink thoughtful shade adjustment and i felt some security for my possessions when I went in the water. I also noticed that they were quite fastidious in keeping their area clean of litter.

I think the complete clearing away has been a mistake was not the correct response to problems.

There needs to be a proper licensing system and oversight that regulates their activities and limits them to no more than say 40% of the sand area.

Thais do not understand that there can be a limit to how much they can expand their business, and they do not care that they are infringing on the rights of others. If you give them 40%, they will immediately expand to 50%, a week later to 60%, and before you know it, 100%. In other words, it is all or nothing, and then I personally prefer nothing, and so does the general it seems.

You cannot employ officials to regulate the 40% either, due to the corruption.

It is the same problem with stalls on footpaths in Bangkok, taxi's in phuket, samui and so on. Once allowed to use part of an area, they feel they own it all. Notice how all the sailboats have left Chaweng bay on Samui (permanently, not just for the season/weather)? Yes, the jetski mafia boss told all the sailboat owners to move, as he now believes he owns not only the beach but also the water in the bay.

Edited by monkeycountry