Manchester City

mrbojangles

I'm sorry, i've got a very bitter outlook to modern day Footballers & think you're in Cuckoo Land for thinking they should show some loyalty to be honest Rix as it very, very rarely exists in this " Business "..

My point was that i fully accept that players, when it comes down to it, put themselves, their career and their families before any allegiance or loyalty to a club. I'm not naive about that, and i don't have a problem with it. Most of us would probably do the same.

The problem i do have is with players verbalising and publicizing thoughts they might be having of going to another club. It's completely unnecessary, and as i said, only leads to tension and instability within the club.

And i do think they owe the club something. The fact that they could easily go elsewhere and pick up the same pay packet is irrelevant. Robinho chose to go to Man City, just as Ronaldo chose to go to Man United - nobody forced them. They made that choice. They willing agreed to becoming an employee of that club, and get richly rewarded for what they do. In my book, it's therefore reasonable to expect of them a little respect be paid, all the time they are a player for that club. That's what i'm talking about. Not loyalty, but respect.

Come to think of it Singhy, maybe you are right - maybe i am living in Cuckoo Land! :D

I think we're both right to be honest Mate, or we're both certainly not wrong, that's for sure... :)

I thought Robinho chose to go to Chelsea :)

He did but his head was turned. He turned it. :D

Not sure what you mean here but obviously the argument about Robinho showing loyalty falls flat on his face when you consider that he thought he was signing for Chelsea :D

How much loyalty do any of Citey's really have since all the cash started pouring in?

The answer is probably not much but a trophy starved club will take success at any means. To be honest I think it's a bit rich (excuse the pun) to expect loyalty and trophies! I'm sure most fans would agree just the latter will do!

How much loyalty do any of Citey's really have since all the cash started pouring in?

Not sure how closely you've been following the last page of this thread, but the point that was being made by myself and others was that in reality there is rarely any loyalty in all the players at all the clubs - not only City.

Players have to take care of their own interests first. That bit i understand. What i don't agree with is players talking to the media and in public about desires they may or may not have to play for another club - not because it shows lack of loyalty but because it shows lack of respect to the club and the fans that they currently play for.

Not sure how closely you've been following the last page of this thread, but the point that was being made by myself and others was that in reality there is rarely any loyalty in all the players at all the clubs - not only City.

Players have to take care of their own interests first. That bit i understand. What i don't agree with is players talking to the media and in public about desires they may or may not have to play for another club - not because it shows lack of loyalty but because it shows lack of respect to the club and the fans that they currently play for.

Spot on post IMHO :)

BT

It works both ways look how City treated Dunne - 9 years loyal service - club captain - through thick and thick - still able to play for a Premier side - Treated like Sxxt by his " LOYAL CLUB" that paid his wages - kept him in the datk etc etc. - Its a business - now wake up and smell the coffee and enjoy what you can when you can. :)

I think i'm repeating the above :D Has Mr Dunne give 9 years of loyal service because he loves the club or because no one has come in for him and offered to double his money, the club could also say that they were just as loyal to him for keeping him there for that long and probaly at good money, so it works both ways imho.

Lets face it the only loyal people to the football clubs in all of this are us the supporters.

The players are only in it for the money of which i don't blame them due to short careers etc, any player that ses otherwise is a liar.

The chairman are only it for there own self satisfaction and in some cases to make money, not because they love the football club.

Edited by alfieconn

Has Mr Dunne give 9 years of loyal service because he loves the club or because no one has come in for him and offered to double his money

That's a good point.

Whether or not he would have given 9 years of loyal service had a "big" club come in for him with big money is extremely questionable, but what can't be questioned about him is the way he conducted himself as a professional at the club. He has been respectful. It seems the club haven't returned the gesture. That's a shame.

It works both ways look how City treated Dunne - 9 years loyal service - club captain - through thick and thick - still able to play for a Premier side - Treated like Sxxt by his " LOYAL CLUB" that paid his wages - kept him in the datk etc etc. - Its a business - now wake up and smell the coffee and enjoy what you can when you can. :D

I think i'm repeating the above :D Has Mr Dunne give 9 years of loyal service because he loves the club or because no one has come in for him and offered to double his money, the club could also say that they were just as loyal to him for keeping him there for that long and probaly at good money, so it works both ways imho.

Lets face it the only loyal people to the football clubs in all of this are us the supporters.

The players are only in it for the money of which i don't blame them due to short careers etc, any player that ses otherwise is a liar.

The chairman are only it for there own self satisfaction and in some cases to make money, not because they love the football club.

With a name like " Alfieconn" you would know about loyalty having crossed the great divide in Glasgow :D But you make valid comments and we will never know the answers to your questions until he writes his book :)

BT

Match report from the City website:-

Man City 4 V 2 Arsenal

Nobody was singing "And now you're gonna believe us" - they were too busy celebrating quite the most exhilarating City win of Mark Hughes' reign - but the manager's smile of triumph spoke volumes.

For all those who had pointed to City's "soft" start as the reason for a perfect three-match opening to the League campaign, here was a compelling riposte as sweet as summer wine to thrill the majority of a Stadium record 47,339 crowd.

Four goals against Arsenal, three of them in a stupendous 11-minute second-half spell that had even the previously-animated Arsene Wenger slumped on the bench, easily outweighed the two goals that Shay Given conceded, his first of the season.

But if a day that started without injured South American duo Robinho and Carlos Tevez was a notable triumph for manager Hughes and his super-charged Blues, then the 90 minutes belonged to Emmanuel Adebayor, who was a man on a mission.

Cruelly abused in relentless fashion by the Arsenal fans whose feelings had switched from love to hate for their one-time Togolese hero, he took some physical punishment too from his erstwhile Arsenal team-mates.

So when he magnificently headed City's third goal after 73 minutes from Shaun Wright-Phillips' cross, Adebayor's only regret was that it was not at the end housing the travelling army. No matter. He raced the length of the field to mock them with his celebration.

Referee Mark Clattenburg had no option but to book him, understandable as his reaction was on an afternoon that would have tried the patience of a saint. And he admitted later: "It was a moment of real joy. In those few seconds I allowed emotion to get the better of me.

"I was over the moon, but I realise now it was the wrong thing to do, and I'm sorry because I don't want it to detract from what was a fantastic performance from the team."

Adebayor, who had fully expected the vitriol from Arsenal fans, made his presence felt in the field as well as at set pieces, and Cesc Fabregas stayed down for treatment after the striker landed on his instep early on.

Arsenal were seemingly impervious to the optimism sweeping through the Stadium, and William Gallas should have headed them in front from a 13th-minute corner but the unmarked centre-back directed the ball over the bar.

Joleon Lescott was an early booking for a foul on Denilson as referee Clattenburg signalled that he would keep a firm grip. Gael Clichy still bodychecked Craig Bellamy soon after as the eager Welsh flyer put Arsenal's back line in jeopardy. It was superbly breached just a minute later.

Gareth Barry flighted in a deep free kick that saw Richards rise above the pack to despatch a soaring header that came off the inside of the far post and went in off fingers of the desperately stretching Manuel Almunia.

But first-half openings were rare, though Stevie Ireland stayed too cool just before the interval whistle when he allowed Clichy to recover and rob him in the penalty box.

The second half provided the magic moments that City fans will cherish and produce in pre-derby evidence that the Blues are the real deal already in a season of rich promise.

That said, it took a brilliant equaliser from Robin van Persie to shake them into action, the Dutchman turning Lescott superbly before finding the gap between Given's dive and a post after 62 minutes.

Cue the City fightback. Barely ten minutes later, Arsenal trailed again when Richards crossed for Craig Bellamy to sweep almost nonchalantly beyond Almunia's despairing dive.

The Londoners were still recovering their bearings when Adebayor reaped his deserved reward to make it 3-1 after 79 minutes, and with 84 minutes on the clock SWP took advantage of Bellamy's swift break from well inside City's half to chip Almunia.

He celebrated on jelly legs as if drunk on the moment, and the intoxication spread throughout the Stadium, savouring a 4-1 lead over Arsenal with "We're not really here."

Lord help the rest of the division when we are, then. Sure, City relaxed to allow Van Persie to hit the post and substitute Tomaas Rosicky to nick a goal back on 87 minutes and jangle a few nerves. Hughes will work to eliminate any more such finishes.

But City, like their new super striker Ade, are really up and running. Yes, the League is a marathon, but it never hurts to come out of the blocks like Usain Bolt.

Adebayor blotted what was a great game. Shame.

He had a fantastic game!!

I dont know if you are referring to the stamp on Van Persie, which he vehemently denies as being deliberate. Having seen the incident replayed several times on TV, I really dont think anybody could say it was done deliberately, unreservedly.

If you are referring to him running upto the Arsenal fans after he scored, he apologised about that. However considering all the sh!t he took from their fans throughout the game, I dont blame him one little bit.

He was a handful throughout and he looked pure class.

Bellamy was superb also.

A great result and it sets the scene for next weeks clash with your lot :)

I dont know if you are referring to the stamp on Van Persie, which he vehemently denies as being deliberate. Having seen the incident replayed several times on TV, I really dont think anybody could say it was done deliberately, unreservedly.

Unreservedly? No, you are right Jack. There was one angle on the replay however that looked mighty suspicious. As a City supporter i guess you'll give him the benefit of the doubt. :)

If you are referring to him running upto the Arsenal fans after he scored, he apologised about that.

The apology might have meant something were his action a complete spur of the moment thing - like for example lashing out at someone in a split second. Then it could be argued that he reacted without thinking it through. What he did though seemed like something he already had in his mind to do before he scored, and the amount of time it actually took him to run the length of the pitch should have been long enough for him to think about the consequences surely. Had he actually scored in front of the Arsenal fans then i think it would have been a lot more understandable.

It's obvious that the apology is simply something he has been told to do, rather than his heart-felt feeling.

However considering all the sh!t he took from their fans throughout the game, I dont blame him one little bit.

All players who leave to play for another club get booed when they play against their old club. What else would he expect? About him being a handful and looking class, i agree.

Bellamy was superb also.

Also agree. You didn't seem to miss Tevez or Robinho at all.

A great result and it sets the scene for next weeks clash with your lot :D

Agree again. Testament to how well City are playing is that i don't think a draw would be a disasterous result for United - obviously i hope it's not though. :)

Adebayor blotted what was a great game. Shame.

He had a fantastic game!!

If you are referring to him running upto the Arsenal fans after he scored, he apologised about that. However considering all the sh!t he took from their fans throughout the game, I dont blame him one little bit.

Bellamy was superb also.

A great result and it sets the scene for next weeks clash with your lot :)

There's no denying that Adebayor had a great game both defensively as well as offensively, i can't remember how many times he headed the ball clear from corners etc...

But there were a couple of nasty things bubbling, there was the stamp of Van Persie which to me looked like he left his foot in on purpose (maybe not to do serious injury). There were also a few times were he was pretty late in the tackle and seemed like he had no intention of getting the ball just kicking the back of someones legs, and it went largely unnoticed by the ref. The kind of petty after afters stuff that you don't expect to see from a top player.

Also the celebrating in front of the Arsenal fans, really just shows how petty he is, the kind of person who can't be happy in their own success without rubbing it in someones face or saying "i told you so"...

You love him now, but i have a feeling he could be hated by the end of the season should his pettiness swing against his teammates when the chips are down.

Edited by dave111223

But there were a couple of nasty things bubbling, there was the stamp of Van Persie which to me looked like he left his foot in on purpose (maybe not to do serious injury).

If Van the man hadn't gone in behind with both feet, his head wouldn't have been on the floor in the first place. Ade was getting some stick all through the match. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Let's move on to the next match :)

I think it's ridiculous nonsense how the fans give insults and gestures to players at every Premier League match and players are not allowed to do the same with a little taunting? Who cares? It's a man's game. All he did was raise his hands in celebration to them. Poor Arsenal fans, oh boo-hoo, he deserves a yellow card. Nonsense. Oh yes, he's "petty," bla bla bla bla...I saw nothing wrong with it. Everyone's far too sensitive these days. So Arsenal fans can call him mercenary, fine, boo him slag him off whatever, but don't get all offended when he does the same sorts of things to you for goodness' sake.

Now to play devil's advocate to myself, the problem with doing that is it incites an angry mob to throw things on the pitch and want to rush on the field, so it's not a smart thing to do. Otherwise, though, who cares?

But then again, if that stamp was intentional, and it certainly looks like it could be, that's a 5 game ban in my opinion. Horrible thing to do if he said to himself, "I'm going to go head and stamp on Van Persie's face."

But really, I don't care about his celebration. Talk about the stamp is warranted, but let's not get too silly about the celebration. That's what I would have liked to say to the commentators on a highlights show I saw.

But then again, if that stamp was intentional, and it certainly looks like it could be, that's a 5 game ban in my opinion. Horrible thing to do if he said to himself, "I'm going to go head and stamp on Van Persie's face."

But really, I don't care about his celebration. Talk about the stamp is warranted, but let's not get too silly about the celebration. That's what I would have liked to say to the commentators on a highlights show I saw.

The one camera angle they showed sured look accidental, but the one from the front - wow.

The celebration, no point to make there. Seen many players do similar - perhaps a little less in your face but what the hey.

from skysports:-

Toure backing for Ade

Former Gunners ace hits out at old team-mates

Kolo Toure has rounded on his former Arsenal team-mates for the treatment of Emmanuel Adebayor.

Adebayor is expected to learn his fate on Tuesday for his alleged stamp on Robin van Persie, and his overzealous goal celebrations in the 4-2 victory on Saturday.

But Toure insists that Adebayor's treatment at the hands of his former colleagues even before the match was 'unacceptable'.

"I am astounded because he has received blows from all the Arsenal players," Toure told the Sun.

"Even though he was the first to go and salute them in the tunnel, even those who had an affinity with him didn't want to shake his hand.

"For me that is unacceptable."

Toure admitted Adebayor's confrontation with the fans was regrettable.

"There was a very difficult moment with the supporters," he said.

"At the start of the game they were whistling at him as if he never brought anything to the club. It was hard.

"I don't caution him for his gesture although I tried to stop him and I also have apologised to the fans. It's not to them that he should do this.

"I told him that this was not a good thing and he apologised. The problem is that they booed him while they applauded me.

"It was a reaction of pride. The whole world could have a reaction like that."

Toure also defended Adebayor's move insisting that it was not financially motivated.

"Certain people want others to believe he left for the money but we know he was pushed to leave. I know it because I was present," he said.

"I firmly believe he left to bring money to the club."

from skysports:-

Toure backing for Ade

Former Gunners ace hits out at old team-mates

Kolo Toure has rounded on his former Arsenal team-mates for the treatment of Emmanuel Adebayor.

Adebayor is expected to learn his fate on Tuesday for his alleged stamp on Robin van Persie, and his overzealous goal celebrations in the 4-2 victory on Saturday.

But Toure insists that Adebayor's treatment at the hands of his former colleagues even before the match was 'unacceptable'.

"I am astounded because he has received blows from all the Arsenal players," Toure told the Sun.

"Even though he was the first to go and salute them in the tunnel, even those who had an affinity with him didn't want to shake his hand.

"For me that is unacceptable."

Toure admitted Adebayor's confrontation with the fans was regrettable.

"There was a very difficult moment with the supporters," he said.

"At the start of the game they were whistling at him as if he never brought anything to the club. It was hard.

"I don't caution him for his gesture although I tried to stop him and I also have apologised to the fans. It's not to them that he should do this.

"I told him that this was not a good thing and he apologised. The problem is that they booed him while they applauded me.

"It was a reaction of pride. The whole world could have a reaction like that."

Toure also defended Adebayor's move insisting that it was not financially motivated.

"Certain people want others to believe he left for the money but we know he was pushed to leave. I know it because I was present," he said.

"I firmly believe he left to bring money to the club."

Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel so go ahead and stamp on my face. Seems logical.

Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel so go ahead and stamp on my face. Seems logical.

Correction.

"Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel and then I dived into a tackle from behind with both feet, trying to take you out. Of which you then tried to get out of the way and accidentally stood on my face cos I went into you at such pace, I was still sliding on the floor as fast as an Ice Skater falling on his ass after trying a triple back flip" :)

Correction.

"Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel and then I dived into a tackle from behind with both feet, trying to take you out. Of which you then tried to get out of the way and accidentally stood on my face cos I went into you at such pace, I was still sliding on the floor as fast as an Ice Skater falling on his ass after trying a triple back flip" :)

Well, look on the bright side Mr. Bj, if and more likely when he gets suspended today, you can use this argument in your appeal process.

Correction.

"Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel and then I dived into a tackle from behind with both feet, trying to take you out. Of which you then tried to get out of the way and accidentally stood on my face cos I went into you at such pace, I was still sliding on the floor as fast as an Ice Skater falling on his ass after trying a triple back flip" :D

Colourful and Educational as always Mr Bo :D Are you a defence Lawyer in your spare time perhaps :)

bt

Correction.

"Let's see. I didn't shake your hand in the tunnel and then I dived into a tackle from behind with both feet, trying to take you out. Of which you then tried to get out of the way and accidentally stood on my face cos I went into you at such pace, I was still sliding on the floor as fast as an Ice Skater falling on his ass after trying a triple back flip" :D

Colourful and Educational as always Mr Bo :D Are you a defence Lawyer in your spare time perhaps :)

bt

:D Cheers BT. Actually, when I did my MSc, my favourite subject and the one I got marked the highest in, was the module on Law :D

Well, look on the bright side Mr. Bj, if and more likely when he gets suspended today, you can use this argument in your appeal process.

I've already forwarded it on to City, james. :)

Congrats btw for your first place showing in the competition. Did little Mr. BJ make your pick for ya this week?

I've already forwarded it on to City, james. :D

Congrats btw for your first place showing in the competition. Did little Mr. BJ make your pick for ya this week?

Cheers :)

I put the spreadsheet in front of her and each dribble counted as a Goal. Her mouth must have been a tad dry by the time she got to City, cos she couldn't dribble 4 times :D

Edited by mrbojangles