Manchester City

mrbojangles

Nauseating to look at Ferguson and he joking with the 4th official after the winning goal. Mark Hughes quite rightly raging but still shook hands with Ferguson at the end. Interesting to speculate what would have happened if the boot was on the other foot. :)

Nauseating to look at Ferguson and he joking with the 4th official after the winning goal.

Didn't sit well with me either.

Mark Hughes quite rightly raging

Just been watching highlights show and they confirmed what some have mentioned on here already. They gave a minute for Bellamy's goal and 30 secs for the United substitution - ie 5 and a half minutes, which is almost exactly when Owen struck. So no, Hughes wasn't quite rightly raging - or if he was it should have been for his team capitulating rather than the amount of time being played.

I thought Manchester City contributed to an excellent match, a joy to watch for the neutral; but it seems to me that Manchester United were definitely the better team.

Although I too was confused by the amount of extra time played, until I read this:

* The Stoppage time alotted by the Referee is a 'minimum'. Under the laws of the game, when 4 minutes are raised anything between 4′01 and 4′59 should be played. *Bellamy scored at 89.53, after the 4 minutes had been decided. 30 seconds are generally required to be added on for goals. The referee is entitled in the rules to add on anything up to 60.

* He celebrated for an extra 25 seconds (beyond the minimum 30), Atkinson added this on.

* Substitutions require and extra 30 seconds. Disregarding the extra 25 seconds, the minimal additional time would still stand at 5 minutes. Atkinson is therefore required to play anywhere between 5′01 and 5′59.

* Including the extra 25 seconds, The time stands at 5.25 or 5.26 depending. Owen scores at 5.27. If you're a time Nazi, Atkinson should blow as Owen receives the ball, however Referees are encouraged to allow play to continue if a team are attacking.

* We can then even factor in the free kick awarded from which United score. A defending team giving away a free kick in added time can reasonably expect another few seconds to be added.

* Furthermore, the Full amount of time played was 6′47. It's therefore sane to assume that the same rules were applied to Owens goal and celebration. Fairs fair.

Owen scores at 5.27.

According to the links I posted from Skysports and the BBC, the goal was after 6 minutes. So with all them extra seconds you included and bearing in mind they are supposed to be the maximum, the ref still went past them and allowed play to continue.

Fairs fair.

With the above, I don't think it is but it's over now, I'm still seething but not much we can do except take revenge at our gaff with, hopefully, a full strike force and a squad that has had more time to gel. I for one, look forward to it.

From the City web site:-

Cruel end takes shine off Barry's strike

Gareth Barry has admitted that his super strike in his first Manchester derby 'means nothing' after a deserved draw was snatched from City's grasp at the death.

The England midfielder fired the first of three Blues equalisers at the suddenly silent Stretford End for his maiden goal since a high-profile summer move from Aston Villa.

But as he and his team-mates reflected on a valiant effort without reward, Barry said: "It's always good to score somewhere like here in a derby, and in my first taste of a Manchester derby as well, but it all means nothing because we didn't get the points.

"It always hurt to lose to a last-minute goal, especially after we looked like we would get a well-deserved point. Not many teams are going to come here and score three. We've made another statement by doing that.

"We deserve a lot of credit for that but at the same time we have to look at ourselves because we conceded four goals at the other end. We have to have a look at that, it's obviously something we have to improve on."

Carlos Tevez, who played against his former club with his right knee strapped, :) made Barry's well-struck goal out of nothing with his typical refusal to accept a lost cause.

Gareth added: "Carlos coming through was another positive for us, and he worked his socks off. It was a great atmosphere, very loud - the supporters made the game and it was a great spectacle, but sadly for our fans we got no reward."

IMO, any supporter who runs on the pitch like this should be made to spread their legs and take a kicking in the balls from a striker from each team. :)

From SKYSPORTS:-

City won't punish Bellamy

Manchester City's assistant manager Mark Bowen has confirmed the club will not punish Craig Bellamy for clashing with a fan at the end of Sunday's derby.

Bellamy confronted a supporter who had run on to the Old Trafford pitch at the end of the game and appeared to push the intruder in the face.

Greater Manchester Police are investigating the incident, while the Football Association have also confirmed they are looking into the matter.

However, Bowen has defended the Wales international, who scored twice in the 4-3 defeat, and says there will be no disciplinary action taken against the striker.

"Craig had been our talisman on the day and brought us back into the game twice," he said.

"A goal had just gone in and Craig was going to the fella to say in no uncertain terms to get off the pitch.

"Obviously I can't quote exactly what he said but it was like 'Get off the pitch'. We were still in the game and it only takes a second to score a goal.

"My take is that he thought the fella might spit in his face or something.

"He came very close and moved towards him. Craig, with an open hand, just pushed the fella away."

Asked if there would be any action taken by City against the striker, Bowen said: "No. I don't think there is any need to."

Meanwhile, police have charged a 21-year-old man - Jake Joseph Clarke - with unlawfully running on to the pitch following the incident.

IMO, any supporter who runs on the pitch like this should be made to spread their legs and take a kicking in the balls from a striker from each team. :)

From SKYSPORTS:-

City won't punish Bellamy

Manchester City's assistant manager Mark Bowen has confirmed the club will not punish Craig Bellamy for clashing with a fan at the end of Sunday's derby.

Bellamy confronted a supporter who had run on to the Old Trafford pitch at the end of the game and appeared to push the intruder in the face.

Greater Manchester Police are investigating the incident, while the Football Association have also confirmed they are looking into the matter.

However, Bowen has defended the Wales international, who scored twice in the 4-3 defeat, and says there will be no disciplinary action taken against the striker.

"Craig had been our talisman on the day and brought us back into the game twice," he said.

"A goal had just gone in and Craig was going to the fella to say in no uncertain terms to get off the pitch.

"Obviously I can't quote exactly what he said but it was like 'Get off the pitch'. We were still in the game and it only takes a second to score a goal.

"My take is that he thought the fella might spit in his face or something.

"He came very close and moved towards him. Craig, with an open hand, just pushed the fella away."

Asked if there would be any action taken by City against the striker, Bowen said: "No. I don't think there is any need to."

Meanwhile, police have charged a 21-year-old man - Jake Joseph Clarke - with unlawfully running on to the pitch following the incident.

Guess this guy's open hand is different than the guy who took this photo....

post-22903-1253601126_thumb.jpg

Guess this guy's open hand is different than the guy who took this photo....

Guess the FA's view was also different to the photographers :)

From skysports:-

Duo escape FA charges

Bellamy and Neville warned over future conduct

Craig Bellamy and Gary Neville have received warnings from the Football Association following separate incidents in the Manchester derby but they will not face charges.

The FA launched an investigation on Monday after Bellamy pushed his hand into the face of a supporter who had invaded the Old Trafford pitch.

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes defended his striker after the altercation and the FA have now decided not to take action.

Gary Neville of Manchester United, a non-playing substitute in the game, has also escaped punishment after celebrating his side's winner by running down the touchline towards the City fans.

Both players have been told to behave in future but they will not be charged with improper conduct - with referee Martin Atkinson telling FA officials that he would not have sent off Bellamy had he seen the incident.

A statement released by the FA said: "The FA has today warned both Manchester City's Craig Bellamy and Manchester United's Gary Neville following separate incidents in Sunday's fixture at Old Trafford.

"In relation to Craig Bellamy the match referee has confirmed that he would not have sent the player off had he seen the incident with the fan at the time.

"Craig Bellamy will be contacted by the FA and warned as to his future conduct.

"The FA would repeat its previous advice that players should not become involved with or approach fans in such circumstances.

"The FA would also take this opportunity to remind fans, managers and players of their joint responsibility towards the game and strongly condemns any pitch invasions by fans.

"Gary Neville has been reminded of his responsibilities following his actions after Manchester United's final goal deep into injury time."

United have also avoided any disciplinary action after City substitute Javier

Garrido was struck on the head by a coin as he walked down the tunnel at half-time.

The statement added: "The FA has also contacted Manchester United regarding a coin-throwing incident during the same fixture.

"The FA fully expects the club to use all available means to identify and deal with the culprit appropriately and, along with the fan who entered the field of play, look to issue bans on attending future matches."

Full story:- click here

Scientists to investigate rift in Old Trafford time continuum

Scientists are to investigate a potential breakdown in the laws of the Universe which appear to have centred themselves over Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United.

The move comes after a number of reports claimed that a serious manipulation of the space time continuum had been successfully attained.

One witness told us, I was watching the football, minding my own business, when this two minutes appeared from nowhere.

I don’t know if these minutes appeared in other parts of the country - or whether it just happened to us - but it made us all feel quite funny.

Professor Allbright of the Institute of Time Studies told us, For years we have had individual reports of glitches in the time continuum,

Many reports coming from men having dinner with potential in-laws on evenings that apparently stretched into weeks.

But this is the first time we’ve had a report which affected so many people in a single location, it’s a significant breakthrough!

The investigation is likely to centre on the pitch at Old Trafford, which has become something of a Bermuda triangle for space-time anomalies.

Bedroom conspiracy theorists have long held that Manchester United boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, has been born with the gift of time manipulation, a bit like that Japanese bloke in Heroes.

It's easy to spot when it’s going to happen, said keen conspiracy theorist, Dwight Fleck, 26.

He waits until the last few minutes of a game which Manchester United are not winning, then stands-up and engages his pitch-side thousand yard stare.

Whilst looking out onto the pitch, he then begins rapidly and angrily tapping his watch. Somewhat miraculously, all these extra minutes then appear from nowhere.

Professor Allbright concluded, "We need funding to investigate this further, because if could harness the time generation properties witnessed at Old Trafford, it might make long distance space travel a reality for this generation."

Edited by mrbojangles

It really hurts mr bo mate i can feal your pain.

I feel for him as well, must be awful out there in the desert all depressed after that game. :D

Don't worry guys, can still get p1shed where I am :D

The thing what really hurt was, when Bellamy equalised to 3-3, I did an "Adebayor" and run down to the opposite end of the bar where all the Reds where and slid in on my knees celebrating.

6 :) minutes later, they back in our end giving me a right load of grief :D It's all in the banter eh. :D

A reasonably interesting Q & A piece with the lesser know Gallagher brother, Paul preceding next Monday's game. Although in no way restricted to the game alone.

Good interview that HH. Cheers :D

Just a couple of the bits i liked:-

Q. Emmanuelle Adebayor – Ban for the stamp fair? And what is your view on his actions towards the Arsenal fans?

A. As a City fan you want to see your players.. play fair.. was it a stamp, a flick, an accident, only Adebayor really knows what went on.The 3 match ban was the best you could hope for.. though I didn't like the way the FA rushed thru the hearing, after all the other incidents in the past weeks have not even being heard as yet..half of me thinks it was influenced by United to rush it through..( they have people in the FA ya know)

As for Arsenal fans, they have history with the player. I didn't like the way they through bananas at Adebayor, which was an oversight in the media ( obv to protect the olympic bid), knocking out stewards, come on Arsenal fans, you're all supposed to be graphic designers who are basically the Man U of the South, when did you turn into Millwall..

Arsenal fans are obviously frustrated.. they have now become a selling team..Wenger doesn't seem to want to part with anything above £10m, and they are playing prudently, getting by, which is why Arsenal fan's are frustrated.

As for Adebayor.. yeah stupid thing to do.. but we'd all do it.. given the chance.. to score.. and then race towards the people that have been giving me hel_l for 80 mins..and say.. take that..

Q. Eastlands is like many grounds now as far as the quiet home support goes, but what is your favourite song 2 opposing fans – what is the best you’ve heard coming back at you?

A. I don't think opposing fans of the bigger clubs give their teams that much vocal support anymore.They don't get behind the side the way they used too. Society has changed so much. What was acceptable in days gone by.. is outlawed now..Even some of our songs are embarrassing.. "invisible man" song being one..

Spurs away last season..I never knew spurs fans had "humour" in them.. singing to Liam.. " yer just a shit chas and dave,, made me chuckle.. :)

Q. Tell us which of our players you most like in your squad?

A. Shay Given without doubt the best goalkeeper in the league,solid, and unbeatable most of the time.Stephen Ireland for his work rate and vision, SWP for his ability to bounce back from being attacked every game, Craig Bellamy for his sheer determination and will to win and Gareth Barry for his 100% every game.

****He misread this question and sends his apologies. The correct answer is Mark Noble****

No chance son, he's West Ham to the marrow. Not sure if that loyalty extends to his bank balance though.

From the City site:-

Bellamy itching to face the Hammers

Derby hero Craig Bellamy is desperate to face his old club West Ham tonight even though it will mean Mark Hughes suspending one of his unwritten rules to unleash the in-form striker.

Blues' boss, anxious not to put too heavy a demand on the 30-year-old Wales skipper, would prefer to give him a rest after his two-goal derby display and a full midweek shift against Fulham.

Roque Santa Cruz is now fit for his first appearance since a summer move from Blackburn Rovers, but the Paraguay striker, who had knee surgery towards the end of last season, will have to settle for a place on the bench tonight.

Hughes said: "It's been a big week for Craig and I don't like playing him three times in a week, but he's really looking forward to it.

"He loves to play against his former clubs - he had a great time at West Ham and has a lot of respect for Gianfranco Zola and everybody at the club."

Asked if far-from-shy Bellers had been offering any inside info or advice on the club he left in January, Hughes grinned: "He gives us advice all the time!"

But Hughes knows West Ham manager Zola's modus operandi well enough after their time together at Chelsea, and added: "West Ham is a difficult game and the extra days rest will have been crucial to us.

"We are up against a good West Ham side who like to get the ball down and play good football. That's how we like to play as well, and hopefully we'll have a few more options available.

"I know Gianfranco very well, having played alongside him for three years. I count him as a friend. He's done a fantastic job there in difficult circumstances.

"His mindset is that he wants his team to play attacking football. I'm of the same mind. But that's a challenge for them given how strong we are at our stadium. It's a test for them."

Captain Kolo Toure, less familiar with Zola than his boss, is more wary. Asked if he expected an open game, he shrugged and said: "I don't think so - there is an Italian manager there."

City V West Ham Match Preview

Manchester City fans could get their first glimpse of £17million summer signing Roque Santa Cruz against West Ham at Eastlands on Monday.

The former Blackburn striker has been plagued with knee problems since joining the City revolution in July.

Manager Mark Hughes had been chasing the Paraguay international for over a year before Rovers finally accepted what was rumoured to be their seventh attempt to snare the frontman away from Ewood Park.

However, City fans have had to wait longer than expected to see Santa Cruz in the flesh and his return couldn't have been better timed for the Blues.

Meanwhile, Gianfranco Zola would love just a fraction of the money his counterpart spent on Santa Cruz at Upton Park.

The Italian did a phenomenal job for the Hammers last term, leading them to an ninth-placed finish in the Premier League on a relatively small budget, but the former Chelsea star has had a sharp dose of reality in recent weeks.

The tight financial constraints currently in place at West Ham mean Zola must put his faith in the club's youngsters whether they are ready or not.

A return of just four points from their opening five games has left the Hammers in the relegation zone and, despite an improved performance against Liverpool last time out, Zola hasn't seen his side win in the league since the opening day.

City team news

The hosts look set to be without Stephen Ireland after the midfielder went down with a sickness bug.

The Irishman was expected to miss out anyway after being taken to hospital following City's Carling Cup success over Fulham in midweek after complaining of dizziness.

The 23-year-old was given the all clear but looks set to miss the Hammers clash after all having contracted the bug.

Fellow midfielder Gareth Barry is thought to have suffered from the same illness but the former Aston Villa man has recovered in time to feature.

Hughes must ponder whether to move Pablo Zabeleta into midfield to plug the gap left by Ireland and hope Micah Ricards has recovered sufficiently from a shoulder problem that forced him out of the Fulham clash to return at full-back.

Emmanuel Adebayor sits out his final game of his three-match ban for his stamp on Robin van Persie but the Togo international could face more time on the sidelines with the FA still to rule on his goal celebration against former club Arsenal, meaning Santa Cruz's recovery is timely given that Robinho (ankle) is still out injured.

City will also be without Nedum Onuoha (thigh), Vincent Kompany (ankle), Michael Johnson (abdominal) and Benjani Mwaruwari (thigh).

Hammers team news

Zola will be hoping the 3-1 extra-time defeat at Bolton in the Carling Cup will not have taken too much out of a group of players that appeared to run out of steam after 60 minutes against Liverpool in the 3-2 defeat last weekend.

The Hammers boss should have Matthew Upson available after the defender limped off against the Reds with a calf injury, but the England international should shake the problem off.

On loan forward Luis Jimenez looks to have recovered from a groin injury but midfielder Jack Collison is a slight doubt with a calf problem.

Zola could hand a debut to striker Guillermo Franco after he completed his free transfer move last week while Valon Behrami, who also limped off against Liverpool, faces a race against time to be fit.

West Ham will also be without long-term absentees Dean Ashton (ankle) and Luis Boa Morte (cruciate ligaments).

The match will throw the Hammers up against two former favourites in Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy, both of whom are set to start on Monday.

Possible starting XIs:

Man City: Given, Richards, Toure, Lescott, Bridge, Barry, De Jong, Zabaleta, Bellamy, Tevez, Santa Cruz.

West Ham: Green, Faubert, Upson, Tomkins, Ilunga, Parker, Noble, Hines, Diamanti, Franco, Cole.

Hammers fall to slick City

Tevez breaks Hammers' hearts

Carlos Tevez bagged a brace for Manchester City as they saw off his former employers West Ham 3-1 at Eastlands.

Martin Petrov was also on target for the Blues, while Carlton Cole notched for the Hammers, as Mark Hughes' side laid down an impressive marker in their pursuit of a top four finish in the Premier League.

City looked to be in imposing mood from the off and it came as no surprise when they opened the scoring inside five minutes.

The lively Petrov broke free down the left and his centre was rolled into an empty net by Tevez, who duly apologised to the away support huddled behind the goal.

City then allowed the Hammers a route back into the game after 24 minutes when, against the run of play, Cole flicked a Radoslav Kovac drive over the line from close range.

Mark Hughes' men upped the tempo again, though, and restored their advantage shortly after the half-hour mark when Petrov found the bottom corner with a well-struck free-kick which left Robert Green wrong-footed.

The Blues continued to control proceedings after the interval and Tevez duly added a third after 61 minutes when he was left all alone at the back post to plant a firm header past a stranded Green.

Mutual respect

After finding one set of former supporters no longer regard him with any affection at Old Trafford last week, Tevez knew he was on safer ground with the Hammers who, for all the controversy, will always be grateful for the goals that helped to keep them up in 2007.

The respect is mutual and as Tevez raced in front of them after scoring the opening goal, he raised an almost apologetic hand of acknowledgement before being besieged by ecstatic team-mates.

It was a pretty significant goal for Tevez given Sir Alex Ferguson's doubts over his goalscoring prowess, and Petrov's assist was arguably even more noteworthy.

Brought to the club two years ago by Sven-Goran Eriksson, the Bulgarian's direct running endeared him to the City faithful.

However, as other noteworthy Eriksson buys were doing little to impress Mark Hughes in his first season at the club, Petrov had little chance to impress once he had ruptured his cruciate on international duty.

Petrov felt he had no future at the club and made his disappointment plain when a deadline-day move to Tottenham failed to materialise.

Yet he remains a big danger and a worthwhile asset and was afforded his first start when Stephen Ireland was ruled out through illness.

He clearly intended to make the most of it and, after presenting Tevez with a tap-in following his forceful left-wing burst, was soon celebrating a goal too.

There may have been an element of good fortune about the free-kick City were awarded for Luis Jimenez's minor shove on Nigel de Jong, but the finish was pretty emphatic.

Petrov drilled it into the bottom corner before edging towards Hughes in his dug-out and pulling the back of his shirt to emphasise his name.

Had the goal been City's fourth or fifth, West Ham could not have complained.

Attack after attack washed over them, with Tevez, Petrov, strike partner Craig Bellamy and Joleon Lescott all going close.

Staggeringly though, Petrov had actually put City back in front for, on their first attack, the Hammers had equalised when Cole turned home Kovac's volley.

In fact, the Hammers would have been in front but for the generosity of referee Chris Foy, who ruled Cole had fouled Joleon Lescott before teeing up Scott Parker when contact had been very minimal.

Gianfranco Zola did not need that to prove it was going to be another bad night for his team.

A simple offside manoeuvre proved beyond the Hammers defence when Bellamy floated over a free-kick just after the hour mark.

As the visitors raced out, three City men were left to queue up to score, Tevez nodding home from six yards.

It was the end of the goals, but not the chances.

Gareth Barry went close with a thunderous effort before Roque Santa Cruz made his debut after spending all the time since his £17million summer move from Blackburn recovering from knee surgery.

It was a move West Ham could only dream of. Indeed, neither Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool nor Manchester United could presently make such a show of strength.

Forget about giving City time. Their rivals have every reason to be worried right now. :)

Forget about giving City time. Their rivals have every reason to be worried right now.

To be fair mate. It's one thing for a £200 million team to beat a struggling West Ham, quite another to beat the best and break into the top four. If I were Hughes, I'd be more worrying about his teams obvious defensive frailties , again exposed, than gloating over a cert win at home against one of the relegation mix (although I doubt if West Ham will get relegated). Those defensive weaknesses are to sure to be exploited by sides with more attacking options than West Ham, or even Owen.

But hats off to Tevez for not celebrating his first goal and in fact apologising to the travelling away fans in a hands held together gesture. It shows that even football mercenaries have a heart. :)

Forget about giving City time. Their rivals have every reason to be worried right now.

To be fair mate. It's one thing for a £200 million team to beat a struggling West Ham, quite another to beat the best and break into the top four.

I'd love to know where that figure comes from, it's been banded about quite a bit and it's just pure hype. The actual figure is about £120 mil. Yeah of course it's still alot but don't forget they are also a young team who have just been put together. Micah Richards, Adebayor, Robinho and Stevie Ireland were also missing last night. And Micheal Johnson, Santa Cruz and Petrov have only just come back from lenghty injuries.

If I were Hughes, I'd be more worrying about his teams obvious defensive frailties , again exposed,

Totally agree.

than gloating over a cert win at home against one of the relegation mix .

That wasn't me gloating, i never said a word in that post. That is all quoted directly from the skysports article. I just put in bold what the writer said at the end.