Manchester City

mrbojangles

• Replies 28.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the game for an hour at 5 am this morning in fast forward - i'll watch in full tonight - before leaving for work and it was a lot better.

We had lots of possession, it was us who did most the pressing, showed far better passion and were passing to teammates (most the time) but they had a couple of chances while we had NONE (the only possible one i remember was Ireland putting Barton through central and he had runners free right and left, two men closing in on him, and he chose to blast wide from the edge of the box - Samaras on the edge of the box right side was THE option). Their penalty was iffy but i think i would have given it.

If we keep at that level of performance till the end of the season we'll finish 15th regardless of our toothless attack.

Noticeable absent were Corradi and Beasly Street, and Weaver wasn't on the bench?

Better City, better!

Better City, better!

Yep. If we'd have played and lost like that against Blackburn i wouldn't have been so p155ed off. They showed alot more passion last night.

Penalty iffy, the ball was going away from him and he wouldn't have got to it. But some you get some you don't. Can't complain too much.

Still worried about us actually being able to put one in the net though.

Weaver close to new deal

Nicky Weaver is close to agreeing a new contract at Manchester City, despite him being axed on Wednesday against Chelsea.

The former England Under 21 international has re-established himself as Stuart Pearce's first choice this season, but in midweek had to settle for a place on the bench as Andreas Isaksson was preferred.

Despite Pearce's decision to omit the 28-year-old, he insists it is not a reflection of Weaver's recent form and on the contrary, the under-fire City chief is eager to tie him down to a long-term deal.

Weaver's existing contract expires in the summer and Pearce feels a new deal is well deserved, given the player's successful battle against injury, having had a revolutionary cartilage operation.

"We are close," Pearce told the club's official website.

"Nick has been here for nine years. He is a great kid and he has proved the injury problems he had in the past are over.

"We want to reward him and show our faith in him."

Didi pleased with Chelsea display

After making just his sixth Barclays Premiership start for City on Wednesday night, Didi Hamann has reflected on his performance against Chelsea and looked ahead to tomorrow’s clash with Middlesbrough.

It has taken Hamann slightly longer to settle than expected at SportCity with a few niggling injuries preventing him from having a run in the side, but with a second successive start on Wednesday, came his best performance in a City shirt.

He admitted afterwards: “I haven’t played too many games lately, I’ve had a few problems with injuries, so obviously games help.

“I like to have a rhythm and the quicker the games come the better. Playing three or four games quickly, I don’t really mind that, as long as I’ve got a rhythm the games can’t come quickly enough.”

And with a trip to the Riverside coming hot on the heels of the Chelsea defeat, Hamann continued: “The team did well against Chelsea and put in a good performance but we need to make sure we pick some points up over the next few weeks.

“We showed with that performance that we can match any team on any day, even though we lost, we've got to put in the same performance in on Saturday and make sure we get something out of the game at Middlesbrough.

“We didn’t expect or want to be where we are now, but that’s the way it goes, at the same time we know if pick some points up we can climb up the league. Obviously, we need to look back as well, but if we keep performing as we did against Chelsea we should be okay.

“At the end of the day if you can’t score you can’t win games and we have to make sure that we support our front men and wingers to create chances and score goals in the next games.”

Pearce expects a strong 'Boro

Stuart Pearce is still anticipating a strong Middlesbrough side to be named for Saturday's game at the Riverside, despite the Teesiders facing an FA Cup quarter final against Manchester United on Monday night.

The City boss' old England cohort Gareth Southgate faces a similar situation to Pearce last year, when City faced Wigan two days prior to the sixth round tie against West Ham, but the bottom line for Pearce is that it is not his problem.

"I’m not sure what sort of side he will put out," Pearce says. "I put myself in Gareth’s position and if I had a replay on Monday I’d still put my strongest team on the field and try to nick points in the league.

"I’ve no idea what he will do, I can’t second-guess him. He’ll be acutely aware that they have a tough week and they might have to possibly rest some players, but that’s his problem.

"I have to make sure that all my boys are fully fit and give me selection problems for the Riverside."

The Manager has also expanded on why he picked Andreas Isaksson ahead of Nick Weaver for Wednesday's game against Chelsea.

"If you know anything about racehorses, you can look at one and know when it’s ready for a run. If you leave it another week or two they go ‘over the top’, Andreas was ready and itching for a game. I felt it was crucial to put him in for Chelsea.

"What I do for Middlesbrough is still up in the air. Nick has been outstanding, he was not left out against Chelsea because of his performances but the other side is that Isaksson’s not done anything wrong again. He’s a top goalkeeper, but so is Nick as well."

Eric Steele's recent arrival as City's goalkeeping coach may also have been an influence but Pearce accepted ultimate responsibility for making the call on Wednesday.

"Having Eric come does help but that decision was down to me. It might have been easier for Eric to say ‘stick with Weavs’, but I have a squad situation here and I have to make sure that everyone is utilised. I felt it was the right selection on Wednesday, and Andreas did not let us down."

Richards in the England squad

Micah Richards has been called up to the senior England squad by Steve McClaren for the Euro 2008 Qualifier games against Israel and Andorra.

However, Blues' top scorer, Joey Barton has been left out after being given just 15 minutes of action as a late second half substitute on debut against Spain last month.

Before the squad was announced ahead of next Saturday's clash with Israel, McClaren claimed: "It's a big game, an important one for us, and I believe it's a game for experience.

"We need to have a positive, aggressive nature going into this game. It's that 'English' aggression, backs against the wall kind of performance that we need."

England face Israel on Saturday March 24 in Tel Aviv before travelling to Barcelona to play Andorra on Wednesday March 28.

Pearce expects a strong 'Boro

"I’m not sure what sort of side he will put out," Pearce says. "I put myself in Gareth’s position and if I had a replay on Monday I’d still put my strongest team on the field and try to nick points in the league.

So what happened last year during our 'cup run'? :o:D

Anyway enough of the footballing matters of 2007, I am bored stiff.

Lets turn the clock back to the 70s and 80s

Trivia time............................ Something to bring back the memories. 4 Questions.

What was the name of the woman who used to sit in the North Stand ringing a bell

What song did the Kippax fans sing to her?

Who was her favorite player?

Two players in the late 70s had the same superstition....walking on the pitch last.

Both played for City at the same time and so used to walk onto the pitch at the end of the line side by side. Who were they???

Trivia time............................ Something to bring back the memories. 4 Questions.

What was the name of the woman who used to sit in the North Stand ringing a bell

Helen - flower seller outside st marys hospital.

helen helen ring your bell.

colin bell

Two players in the late 70s had the same superstition....walking on the pitch last.

Both played for City at the same time and so used to walk onto the pitch at the end of the line side by side. Who were they???colin bell and i think asa.

They were tough questions

I would not have been able to answer ANY of them !

I have one for you.

Who scored two of the goals in City's 3-1 win when City played Reading at the Mad Stad in April 1999?..One a sulblime free kick..as was his second (unfortunatley) ?

Helen - flower seller outside st marys hospital.

helen helen ring your bell.

colin bell

Both played for City at the same time and so used to walk onto the pitch at the end of the line side by side. Who were they???colin bell and i think asa.

Very Good...Partly right.

Helens favourite player was Joe Corrigan. Remember every game he went behind the goal at North Stand when she gave him a lucky mascot or something?

The 2 players were Asa Hartford and Dennis Tueart

They were tough questions

I would not have been able to answer ANY of them !

I have one for you.

Who scored two of the goals in City's 3-1 win when City played Reading at the Mad Stad in April 1999?..One a sulblime free kick..as was his second (unfortunatley) ?

I would take a guess and say Kevin Horlock?

Whistles just gone! Would you believe it! First win up there in 30 years. Listened to it on Radio cleveland or something like that and we sounded like we bossed it. Well well well!

Ive sussed it out.

If I bet against them they win......simple.

Good win, they battled well, but Middlesborough looked as though their mind was on the replay

think its on around 5 pm today on espn star

Hey Bredbury Blue. Are you here in Thailand?

If you are I feel bad, because we were on last night LIVE on 63 or 64.

I should have let everyone know.Sorry :o

Thats strange. I checked True's website staurday morning which said on on sunday. i also checked that 63 or 64 before i ran up stairs to listen to the computer radio and though i didn't see the pictures of the game to be featured it said that spurs i think were on next. <deleted>!

Anyway saw it yesterday - we deserved what we got. Distin was immense. Mpensa looks the real deal. But i particualrly enjoyed watching Michael Johnson's game - thought he was the best player in his debut away at Everton think it was - he looks a real prospect, very mobile, picks a pass in fact never gave the ball away all day.

think its on around 5 pm today on espn star

Hey Bredbury Blue. Are you here in Thailand?

If you are I feel bad, because we were on last night LIVE on 63 or 64.

I should have let everyone know.Sorry :o

Thats strange. I checked True's website staurday morning which said on on sunday. i also checked that 63 or 64 before i ran up stairs to listen to the computer radio and though i didn't see the pictures of the game to be featured it said that spurs i think were on next. <deleted>!

Anyway saw it yesterday - we deserved what we got. Distin was immense. Mpensa looks the real deal. But i particualrly enjoyed watching Michael Johnson's game - thought he was the best player in his debut away at Everton think it was - he looks a real prospect, very mobile, picks a pass in fact never gave the ball away all day.

Yes, True is cr#p at getting their programming right.

They did advertise the Spurs v Watford game, but showed the City game.

What happened about 10 minutes into the game, the screen went blank then for about 3 minutes showed the advert for Spurs game, then it went back to the game!!!

I agree about Ball. Very much an upgrade to Jordan.

Happy days again chaps. Happy days. :D

A few positives and negatives from saturday but just getting the points is enough for me. Apart from your comments (tot and Bred) i thought Barton had a great game. Some of his passes where top notch both long crosses and through balls weighted excellent.

Anyways, it's not the players, it's down to my new piece of string i'm wearing on my wrist. The mrs got a letter from her parents on Sat morning and inside was 2 pieces of string blessed by the Monks in the village. She said "you want wear one, dark-ling for lucky" so i thought well city need all the help they can. Low and behold we won. Now i can't take it off :o

Sure your parent's in law didn't send one to WHU by mistake - did you see the iffy penalty and the offside-and-the-ball-didn't-cross-the-line 'goal'! Didn't see the Charlton game - anybody - are they playing well?

Think i read pre-Saturday that no team had ever been relegated from the Premier with 30 points.

Sure your parent's in law didn't send one to WHU by mistake - did you see the iffy penalty and the offside-and-the-ball-didn't-cross-the-line 'goal'! Didn't see the Charlton game - anybody - are they playing well?

Think i read pre-Saturday that no team had ever been relegated from the Premier with 30 points.

I dont know what you mean by that?

Normally the 'safety' margin is considered to be 40, however West Ham got relegated a few years ago with 42/43

From City's web site

Patient Johnno seizes his chance

Michael Johnson has been savouring his first victory in a senior Manchester City shirt.

The 19-year-old came in for the injured Stephen Ireland for Saturday’s game at the Riverside, and he played a full part in the 2-0 win over Middlesbrough.

The Urmston-born midfielder’s debut came back in October when City were thumped 4-0 by Wigan, so Saturday’s victory, and the three vital points that it secured, were all the sweeter as he explained:

“It was great, because I have only played once before at Wigan when we lost heavily, so to get my first win for the first team is a great feeling.

“It felt like any other game, I didn’t have any nerves. I was confident about this game, I had a good feeling that we could do well, and that’s what we did.”

Since his debut, when he fractured a wrist, Michael has had to bide his time by impressing for the reserves and in training, but he was ready to grab his chance whenever it came along, as he continues.

“Trying to break into the first team is not easy, there are a lot of good players ahead of me so you have to just wait for your time. When it comes, you have got to try to take it.”

Michael was also delighted to repay the faith that Stuart Pearce had shown in him by helping in the win, which raised City up to 15th in the table.

“It was a win for him, but not just for him, the whole club, the players, everyone has been under pressure but winning is always a good feeling.

“I can only speak very highly of him, I think he’s a great manager but once you go out on the pitch it’s up to the players to do it, and that’s where the Boro game was won.”

Michael now joins up with the England Under 19 squad for a friendly against Turkey at Doncaster this Wednesday, which he aims to use as part of his footballing education.

“I love every game, because I just love playing football, but the international games are good because you get to see foreign players and how they go about things. You also work with different coaches and players so it’s all part of learning the game.”

From City's web site:-

Richards rated doubtful for England games

Micah Richards is rated as doubtful for the upcoming England internationals after limping off in the first half of City's win at the Riverside.

The teenager left the field in the first half with a shin injury that according to City boss Stuart Pearce has troubled him for some time.

"I think he’ll be doubtful," said Pearce after the win over Middlesbrough. "I doubt any player that has to come off in the first half of a match would be able to represent his country but we will be as helpful as we can. Micah will join them, but it will be touch and go I suspect.

"Physically and mentally he’s drained, he’s picked up a shin injury now but it was a tightness that he had played with and had acupuncture on, and he probably needs a few days break.

"He’s doing his best, but he is a young man who has played a hel_l of a lot of matches for us, and he is going to have to grit his teeth and carry on doing that."

From sky sports:-

Pearce: All about character

Stuart Pearce was delighted with Manchester City's character in earning a 2-0 win at Middlesbrough.

Goals from Sylvain Distin and Emile Mpenza provided City with three points in the Premiership for the first time since New Year's Day.

With Pearce having been under pressure of late, he was delighted that his players responded to recent setbacks with a battling display at The Riverside.

"We've gone out of the cup last weekend where certainly our supporters believed we could have a right tilt at the cup," Pearce told Sky Sports News.

"Then we played the champions and no matter how well you play against them it might not be good enough against the top four.

"So for the players to come out and pick themselves up, when they are physically and mentally very tired, credit to the players.

"We got a result here, a clean sheet and I thought we thoroughly deserved to win the game - that was the bottom line."

And though City have struggled in the league of late, Pearce admits he never doubted the character within his squad.

He added: "We went away early in the season and got beaten 4-0 by our local rivals Wigan Athletic away from home and we were absolutely awful.

"The chairman made a statement about the performance and, on the Monday at training, four come out of the treatment room and from that moment on I knew there was some character at this football club.

"I'm aware, as anybody is, at this moment results have not been as good as they should be for this football club.

"We have to make sure between now and the end of the season that we've got enough decent results to turn us round and lift us up the league, if we possibly can.

"It's all about character at this stage of the season."

Match report from City's web site:-

Boro 0-2 City

Middlesbrough v Manchester City

Saturday March 17, 2007, 3pm

Riverside Stadium - Att: 26,427

Teams:

Boro: Schwarzer, Parnaby, Taylor, Xavier, Pogatetz (Davies 9), Boateng, Euell, Cattermole, Downing, Yakubu, Lee (Morrison h-t)

unused subs: Jones, Viduka, Rochemback

City: Isaksson, Richards (Samaras 21), Dunne, Distin, Ball, Sun, Johnson, Barton, Hamann, Vassell (Beasley (84), Mpenza

unused subs:.Weaver, Dabo, Corradi

Goals: 0-1 (Distin 64), 0-2 (Mpenza 74)

Bookings:

Boro: Cattermole (55)

City: Barton (50), Mpenza (74)

Referee: K Stroud

Pre match: There is one change to the team that started against Chelsea, with Michael Johnson replacing the injured Stephen Ireland for just his second game for the senior side, his debut having been back in October at Wigan.

For the home side there’s no Arca, Woodgate or Viduka, Gareth Southgate having one eye on the cup replay at Old Trafford on Monday.

It's a clear but cold day on Teeside as we look for some vital points to keep distance between us and Charlton.

The Match

Johnson set up the first good chance of the day when his telling through ball found Barton, who ran into the area and shot, the ball rolling just a few inches wide of Schwarzer’s right post.

The home side were forced into a substitution after eight minutes when Pogatetz fell awkwardly when passing out of defence, Andrew Davies replacing him.

Mpenza found the side netting after 17 minutes with an opportunistic strike after a bad header from Parnaby.

City had to make their own replacement on 21 minutes when Micah Richards hobbled off, and with Georgios Samaras coming on a reshuffle had to take place, with Sun Jihai dropping in to right back.

The hosts nearly seized on City’s rearrangement shortly after when Stuart Downing’s long range shot was pushed behind by Isaksson. Substitute Davies headed powerfully but just wide from the corner.

Michael Ball’s excellent cross on 28 minutes found Mpenza free in the area, but the defender’s efforts deserved better than see the Belgian’s header flying a long way wide of the right hand post.

Mpenza made a better attempt five minutes later, Barton finding him after a good run through the middle, but from an angle the final shot went straight at Schwarzer, who saved easily.

Jason Euell, in his first start for Boro in four months, volleyed over from the edge of the box on 36 minutes, and that was the last real chance of a quiet first half.

James Morrison replaced Dong Gook Lee for Boro after the break.

City had the first chance of the second half when Samaras rose to Vassell’s chip from the right, Mark Schwarzer diving low to his right to keep the scores level. Joey Barton received the first booking of the match on 50 minutes for a high challenge on Downing, but he nearly made amends just after when he forced Boro’s Australian keeper to push a shot behind for a corner.

The home fans were getting on the backs of their team, and then they had real cause for complaint when City took the lead on the hour! Mpenza nodded down a Barton corner to Sylvain Distin, who took a split-second to spin around and hammer the ball high into the roof of the net. The City fans behind Schwarzer’s goal went beserk at what could be a crucial goal in our season.

Distin’s strike prompted Southgate to bring Viduka on for Euell.

It was backs-to-the-wall time for City now, with Dunne timing a challenge to perfection on 70 minutes inside the area.

But a good afternoon turned into a great one with 16 minutes left! Barton robbed Cattermole and fed Emile Mpenza, and the Belgian held off a defender to slide the ball into the net off the right hand post. The striker was booked for celebrating in the City section of the stands, but that scarcely mattered as City closed in on three vital points. Almost as pleasing was the sight of hundreds of home fans making for the exits with lots of time left to play.

The exodus from the stands continued as City continued to threaten and when they held off the home side’s attacks. Mpenza nearly got past Schwarzer as 90 minutes passed, and in stoppage time his toe-poke from close range was only just wide.

Full time went with boos echoing around the stadium from the home fans, a sweet feeling for the City side who applauded their own support and received the acclaim they deserved in return.

From sky sports:-

Distin happy with goal

Sylvain Distin was happy to score against the team he rejected last August as Manchester City beat Middlesbrough 2-0.

The French defender was given permission to discuss a move to The Riverside, but opted to remain with Stuart Pearce's side.

He showed Boro what they missed out on by scoring City's opening goal on Saturday and also produced a solid display in defence.

Distin confirmed he turned down a switch to Teesside in the early weeks of the season and was delighted to be on the scoresheet.

"They came for me, but I didn't go," Distin told Sky Sports News.

"I'm happy to score against them, or against anyone, especially with my right foot.

"It was the first time I played with white boots. I have had some stick in training, so I'm proud."

The centre-half is also hoping the win will raise morale in the City squad, particularly after last week's FA Cup exit to Blackburn Rovers.

He added: "We will have to wait and see what's going to happen. It's good to enjoy the moment and see what will happen next.

"The mood could only be better than last week, so everything is fine at the moment."

I dont know what you mean by that?

Normally the 'safety' margin is considered to be 40, however West Ham got relegated a few years ago with 42/43

No side has been relegated from the Premiership with as many points as Manchester City have at this stage of the campaign. However, if their season dribbles away as it did last year when, undermined by defeat in an FA Cup quarter-final to West Ham, they managed three points from their final 10 games, they will be prime candidates for relegation.

Of their remaining fixtures, the three critical ones are at home to Charlton and Aston Villa and away to Watford. Win them and survival is all but assured. The rest of Manchester City's games look daunting.

Daily Mail 16 Mar.

Think that Daily Mail bit might be a load of b*llocks.

Seen elsewhere:

"In the last ten years, the 18th placed side has finished on 34, 33, 33, 42, 36, 34, 33, 36, 40 and 40 points [high of 40; low of 33] - which averages out at 36 points. A win and a draw might be all it needs" - probably just a win as our goal difference is superior currently.

Archived