Manchester City

mrbojangles

• Replies 28.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
City win 1 game BIG DEAL!!!-I still maintain we need to get rid of the clown that is SP.....

Calm down Tot, i agree about SP but at the moment a win is a BIG DEAL. Or would you prefer us to get relegated just to get rid of him. Personally i want him to go BUT us still to stay up.

What do you think about the latest rumour? From skysports:-

Big Sam brushes off City link

Sam Allardyce is taking rumours linking him to the Manchester City job with 'a pinch of salt'.

The Bolton Wanderers manager has been put forward as a leading contender to take over at The City of Manchester Stadium should Stuart Pearce leave.

Pearce's position has reportedly been under threat in recent weeks, although Saturday's 2-0 win at Middlesbrough has lifted some of the pressure.

It has not stopped the speculation regarding his future, however, and Allardyce is aware his name has been linked with the post.

While he would not rule out accepting any offer from City, he feels it is unfair to be discussing the role while Pearce still holds the position.

"If Stuart Pearce was to leave and Manchester City were to make an official approach, who knows?" Allardyce told Zoo magazine.

"I see I've been linked with the job, but I take all that with a pinch of a salt.

"The only time I really believe anyone wants me is when my chairman rings to say a club has asked for permission to speak to me.

"But I don't like speculating when someone else is still in a job. It's personal and it's unprofessional, but it's a fact of life these days.

"Someone will be linked to my job when we next go through a rough spell. It comes to us all."

I think Big Sam would be a great choice for City...

(if possible could you ship him in before we play you in a few weeks..after all.. he always lets us score four... :D)

:o:D

I'm not sure about Sam. No doubt he can work with a tight budget though.

In all seriousness I think he can work wonders.. of a type.. but how good is he at building a young side for the future?

He's proven that he can take players on arguably the downside of their careers and get results.. but I imagine you want the security season in, and season out, that the right balance between youth and experience brings.. Aidy Boothroyd perhaps?

(if possible could you ship him in before we play you in a few weeks..after all.. he always lets us score four... :D)

I agree. Managing City is a total different ball game than managing Bolton.

Interesting though that a couple of years ago he was linked with the job and he categorically denied it and went on record as saying he wasnt interested as he was under contract at Bolton.

His latest statement seems to suggest that he would be interested.

The thing that worries me are the names being linked with City are unproven at a high level, eg Paul Jewell, Paul Simpson, so by sacking Pearce and replacing with someone like this would be a step backwards in my opinion.

But there again what big name would come to City?

The one interesting name linked with them was Peter Reid. I thought he was unlucky to be sacked several years ago, he did a decent job then.

I agree. Managing City is a total different ball game than managing Bolton.

Interesting though that a couple of years ago he was linked with the job and he categorically denied it and went on record as saying he wasnt interested as he was under contract at Bolton.

His latest statement seems to suggest that he would be interested.

The thing that worries me are the names being linked with City are unproven at a high level, eg Paul Jewell, Paul Simpson, so by sacking Pearce and replacing with someone like this would be a step backwards in my opinion.

But there again what big name would come to City?

The one interesting name linked with them was Peter Reid. I thought he was unlucky to be sacked several years ago, he did a decent job then.

Sorry but can’t agree with your comments with Paul Jewell, in fact probably his managerial achievements are better than Fat Sam’s – have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Jewell & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Athletic_F.C. - i also prefer his style of football over Sam’s.

Also agree that Reidy was unlucky to get sacked – his was the last time we had a team near the top of the league table – but again, his style of football wasn’t the best.

Coppell would be a good bet – but would he stay this time?

See Souness is being talked about.

And before anybody says do I want stylish football over successful football – can’t you have both alla Wenger’s Arsenal teams.

PS. Have you seen Corradi’s girlfriend – no wonder he wants to get back to Italy - Elena Santarelli - http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=2

Steve Coppell might be a decent choice..if he fancied it.. -What for 5 days again like last time he was at the healm!!Would,nt touch him with a barge pole!!!I see Peter Reid has been linked to us now there is someone i would welcome back,i would go as far as saying that if we had,nt got rid of him to begin with perhaps City would not be in the pathetic state they are in now!!!

Mr Bo of course i want City to win and stay up it just annoys me that as soon as City win a game everything is rosy again in the eyes of some supporters and this is lets face it just NOT THE CASE!!!!!

PS. Have you seen Corradi’s girlfriend – no wonder he wants to get back to Italy - Elena Santarelli - http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=2

Oh my giddy aunt, she is stunning. Why oh why did i not become a footballer :o

Mr Bo of course i want City to win and stay up it just annoys me that as soon as City win a game everything is rosy again in the eyes of some supporters and this is lets face it just NOT THE CASE!!!!!

Yeah i know what your saying Tot but i think (hope) that the board are well aware of the situation. They are the "Bean counters" and they will not have missed the fact of dropping attendancies this year.

Pearce: Warnock very, very wrong

Stuart Pearce has hit back at Neil Warnock after the Sheffield United boss criticised Gareth Southgate for fielding a weakened team against Manchester City, claiming Warnock's remarks were 'very, very wrong'.

Manchester City had not won any of their Premiership games since New Year's Day prior to their 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Southgate rested Mark Viduka, Julio Arca and Jonathan Woodgate for the game as his side prepared for their FA Cup quarter-final replay against Manchester United on Monday night, leading Blades boss Warnock to describe the situation as a 'disgrace'.

But Pearce has defended Southgate's decision, saying he did not do anything out of the ordinary.

"What you find is that any manager in the country has the whole of his squad at his disposal and he uses it as best he can," he told the club's official website.

"Middlesbrough wanted to win against us on Saturday - they didn't lie down. Arsenal change their team on a weekly basis, Chelsea and one or two others do. I did against Wigan last year."

For Pearce, Warnock spoke out because of the pressures of Sheffield United's relegation battle, but he does not believe any manager has the right to comment on anyone else's team selection.

"I think from Neil's point of view, if you look directly at them, probably two weeks ago they felt as though the points tally they had was reasonably comfortable maybe to stay out of any problems.

"Now, all of a sudden, over the weekend, they've lost Hulse - one of their mainline strikers - and also they're the next team that Charlton have got in their sights at this moment in time, so that's obviously frustrated him a touch, I would suspect.

"It's very difficult and very hard to look into other clubs and turn around and say what team they should or shouldn't select.

"I think it's very unfair and very, very wrong of anyone to do that

From skysports

Onuoha ready to return

Manchester City youngster Nedum Onuoha has admitted his injury problems have proved frustrating, but he is now ready to return and 'make a difference'.

The 20-year-old defender has not played since January, and in that time saw his side go on a winless streak in the Premiership that did not end until Saturday's 2-0 win over Middlesbrough.

But while it was a difficult time for the England Under 21 international, he has now overcome his knee injury and is itching to return to help his team-mates.

"I'm fine. Everything to do with the knee's fine, so I'm just waiting to see when I'm available again," he told the club's official website.

"I'm doing a lot of rehab work, but I should be training again during the international break. I did all my gym work a few weeks ago, so I've been back doing ball and general fitness work since.

"Now that I'm coming back, it's not so frustrating for me, but it was back in January when the injury happened.

"The first few weeks were hard because the team lost a few, but now I just want to try my best to get back in and see if I can make a difference."

Onuoha had hoped to play in his side's reserve clash with Middlesbrough on Tuesday, but the game was called off due to heavy snowfall.

From skysports

Corradi future doubt

Bernardo Corradi is rumoured to be unsettled at Manchester City and could well consider a return to Italy this summer.

Corradi has made little impact following his move to Eastlands from Valencia last year, scoring just three times in 19 Premiership appearances.

He has struggled in front of goal all season and his agent has suggested a return to Rome and former club Lazio is an option.

"In the future, it would appeal to me to discuss a return to Rome for Corradi," Corradi's agent Moreno Roggi is quoted as saying in the Manchester Evening News.

"Bernardo remains a favourite due to his time in the Biancocelesti colours."

City skipper Richard Dunne has questioned the commitment of a number of players in the squad and Roggi has suggested there is tension in the dressing room.

He added: "In Manchester the climate isn't the best - and I'm not just talking about the weather."

Arrivederci, Ciao, non m'importa :o

From skysports

Mpenza blow for Belgium

Manchester City striker Emile Mpenza has been forced to pull out of the Belgium squad to face Portugal this weekend.

Mpenza, who scored his first goal for City last weekend against Middlesbrough, picked up a thigh problem in the same game.

Belgium coach Rene Vandereycken admitted it was a major blow to lose Mpenza for the game with Portugal.

"It is disappointing. He would have started," said Vandereycken.

"He is one of our best strikers."

City will be hoping the injury is not too serious and that Mpenza will be fit for their next game against Newcastle on 31st March.

From skysports

McClaren hopeful over injuries

Micah Richards and Jonathan Woodgate will travel to Israel with the rest of the England squad despite picking up slight injuries.

Steve McClaren is 'hopeful' the defenders can overcome their respective calf and knee problems and has decided to take both players as England also face Andorra four days after Saturday's game.

"We are assessing them both and hopefully they will be okay," he said.

"At this present moment, our intention is for them to travel. We want them with us for next week."

Gary Neville has already been ruled out of the England squad after suffering damage to his ankle ligaments, and Richards was expected to deputise for the Manchester United captain.

From Man City's web-site

Open and honest Pearce reflects on his time in charge 22/03/2007 06:00

With Stuart Pearce celebrating his second anniversary in charge of City this week, he has reflected on his tenure with an honesty that has become his trademark as mcfc.co.uk bring you the first of today’s two-part feature with the Blues boss.

In a frank and open interview at Carrington earlier this week, Pearce gave us an insight to life as Manager of Manchester City Football Club.

He opened his assessment by saying: “Like everything in management, you have highs and lows, that’s Manchester City as they say and that’s been the case over the last two years.

“In some ways it has been a baptism of fire when I look back and view one or two of the problems that the Club and I have had to deal with.

“Form wise we’ve had some highs, we’ve had some lows, we’ve won a couple of Manchester derbies and had a couple of decent runs in the FA Cup that have ended with major disappointment in the quarter finals. We still feel that we have more to achieve here."

But getting deeper into the Manager’s thoughts about his stewardship at City, Pearce reveals a self-assessment many of those unfamiliar with the man would be surprised at the honesty of the delivery.

“I know that I feel as though I should have done better, if I’m being honest, in respect to our league finish over the last two years,” admitted Pearce.

“I still feel as though we should be in the top half of the league. I think that, the coaching staff and the players think that and the supporters think that as well. We need to make sure we learn the lessons we’ve had over the last couple of years.

“As every season goes by, you do learn those valuable lessons. I’m a stronger and more balanced manager than two years ago. If I hadn’t have picked up on my experience I’d be an absolute nugget in respect to what I’ve done and what’s been thrown in front of me.

“I’m still of the opinion that the Club needs a touch more investment to push it forward again, I think everyone’s aware of that and trying to make that happen.

“The Academy’s part in the whole scenario has been fantastic. They’ve supplied young players and we’ve had the balls to put them in, give them a chance and they’ve flourished.

“There’s a nucleus of a hel_l of a good squad here, but my words are the same as two years ago, we just need three or four top line players to come back in and give the supporters and the football club a big push and let’s see where it takes us from there. Then any criticism that is levelled will be a lot easier to take because you know you’ve done everything to push the Club in the right direction.”

Well done Stephen

Ireland too strong for Wales

Republic of Ireland marked the first ever football match at Croke Park with a 1-0 win over Wales in Euro 2008 qualifying Group D.

Stephen Ireland scored the only goal of the game on 39 minutes to boost Steve Staunton's prospects of leading his country to the finals in Austria and Switzerland.

The goal maintained Ireland's record of scoring in all three of the qualifiers in which he has featured and condemned Wales to a third defeat in four matches.

Damien Duff's floating presence was an early menace for Ireland, although there was a lack of end product from the home side.

Robbie Keane was twice found in good positions, but his first attempt was to drag wide after he intercepted Simon Davies' poor clearance from a corner.

On 21 minutes, Keane was then released by Ireland, but after steadying himself in the box, he screwed his shot wide of the target.

Wales' focus appeared on trying to contain their opponents and the visitors threatened only once in the first half when Craig Bellamy pinched the ball off a hesitant Richard Dunne.

He surged ominously towards the area, but after twisting Paul McShane inside out, a slightly heavy touch allowed Shay Given out to make a brave block.

Ireland's response was to crank up the tempo and Keane, after pouncing on a slack Sam Ricketts pass, sent Duff clear, only for Danny Coyne to make a smart stop with his legs.

The reprieve was only fleeting however, as Keane's next pass sent Ireland scampering clear and he rounded Coyne before slotting in from an acute angle.

Carl Fletcher was introduced for Joe Ledley at half-time to add more bite into the Wales midfield, while Ireland sought to pick up where they left off.

A neat move involving Duff, Ireland and John O'Shea created a chance for Lee Carsley 25 yards from goal, but the tireless midfielder's shot deflected straight to Coyne.

Duff then shot equally tamely at Coyne before Wales started to get hold of possession, although there was still a lack of thrust about their play, with captain Ryan Giggs a largely anonymous figure.

Carl Robinson's gentle header from Fletcher's cross crept straight to Given before Keane was booked for fouling the substitute - a yellow card which rules him out of Wednesday's qualifier with Slovakia.

Ireland almost scored a fortuitous second goal 10 minutes from time when Keane cleverly headed the ball on to Kevin Doyle and the substitute's sliced volley bounced back off the post.

Wales threw James Collins up front, but found themselves increasingly exposed to the counter-attack and Kevin Kilbane broke from midfield, but Keane was unable to convert his cross under pressure from Robinson.

Giggs struck a powder-puff free-kick into the arms of Given late on, but Wales never looked likely to ruin Ireland's celebrations on such a historic day.

Instead, the result surely consigns Wales to missing out on another major tournament, while Ireland will watch Saturday evening's meeting between Czech Republic and Germany with great interest.

From sky sports

Pearce doing best to keep Distin

Stuart Pearce will do everything he can to keep Sylvain Distin at Manchester City next season.

Distin is out of contract in the summer and rejected a move to Middlesbrough during the early weeks of this campaign.

He scored in last week's 2-0 win at Boro and Pearce feels the Frenchman's reaction to the goal proved his commitment to the club.

Pearce is aware there will be further interest in the centre-half come the summer, but he remains optimistic of extending Distin's time at City.

"I passionately hope that he will be here longer than the summer," Pearce told the club's official website.

"Only time will tell, but we will do everything we can to keep him here.

"People only have to look at his reaction to scoring a goal both at Aston Villa earlier in the season and at Middlesbrough last Saturday to know he is a player fully committed to this club.

"I have always known that even if his contract negotiations go right to the wire that he would be fully committed because that is the type of man he is.

"There is no doubt we will face a lot of competition to keep him because Sylvain is a good player.

"We will have to endeavour to do the best we can to persuade him to stay."

From sky sports

Pearce craves new faces

Stuart Pearce admits he has not made the best start to his career as manager of Manchester City, but has called on the Eastlands board to back him in the transfer market this summer.

City have been sucked towards the drop zone by a poor run of results this year and Pearce has come under pressure as a consequence.

Pearce has been at the helm for two years and is aware the club are not where he would like them to be, but feels some quality signings in the summer will leave them in a far better position.

"I know I should have done better, if I'm being honest, in respect to our league finish the last two years," he told The Sun.

"I still feel as though we should be in the top half of the league.

"The coaching staff and the players think that and the supporters think that as well.

"As every season goes by, you do learn valuable lessons. I'm a stronger and more balanced manager than two years ago.

"We just need three or four top players. Then, criticism will be easier to take because you know you've done everything to push the club in the right direction."

Corradi reveals City 'nightmare'

Manchester City's Bernardo Corradi has slammed the club.

The Italian international is currently on a season-long from Valencia, but he seems highly unlikely to remain at the club.

His agent Moreno Roggi revealed earlier this week his charge was unsettled.

Now Corradi has admitted that his stay in Manchester has been a 'nightmare' and he claimed the club are not prepared properly for games.

"The manager is typically English," Corradi is quoted as saying by the Daily Star on Sunday.

"He expects you to go out and beat the other team without knowing how they play.

"There's no preparation. It has been a nightmare."

Corradi also revealed his discontent at the criticism handed out by captain Richard Dunne.

"Then I woke up on the morning of the FA Cup quarter-final to read that the captain (Richard Dunne) had criticised all the foreign players," he said.

From the Manchester Evening News

CITY are bracing themselves for a £20m summer bid from rivals United for Micah Richards.

Sir Alex Ferguson, well aware that mega-bucks Chelsea have identified Richards as a potential target, will not want soccer's hottest property slipping from under his nose.

But the Blues are ready to offer the 18-year-old defender a pay rise to try to keep him - even though he's only 12 months into a four-year contract.

But any issues, including ongoing takeover talks, are firmly on the backburner at City as boss Stuart Pearce, who was earlier this month on the brink of the sack, and his under-achieving squad concentrate on winning the six points that are likely to ensure Premiership survival.

The club will have a traumatic close season with the potential takeover saga likely to be resolved and Pearce's long-term future sorted out.

If the mystery American consortium, which remains in prime position in a four-way battle, does buy a majority shareholding at Eastlands they have promised to hand the manager, be it Pearce or his replacement, £10m to rebuild the squad - a factor that could remove the need to sell Richards, pictured above playing for England on Saturday.

An offer close to the £21m received from Chelsea for Shaun Wright-Phillips - also a product of the Blues' academy - would give the City board another headache with a fans' backlash certain should they allow the supremely versatile Richards, the highest paid teenager in the club's history, to follow Wyn Davies and Tony Cotton across the great divide.

United, who remain in the driving seat to land Owen Hargreaves this summer, are playing their cards close to their chest but Fergie will be looking long term to find a challenger for long-serving Gary Neville.

Peter Barnes, who moved from City to United via Coventry, today urged Richards to stay at City, saying: "When I went to United it was from Coventry and a long time after I had been at City. Reds boss Dave Sexton, who was my England under-21 manager, would have liked to buy me but City would never have sold me directly to United.

"If I was Micah I would just sit tight at City no matter who said they wanted me and keep on learning my trade. He is liked by the fans and playing for the Blues has not done him any harm or stopped him winning England caps and I am sure City will still be in the Premiership next season.

"Anyone who left City for United would probably get stick for the rest of his life. But if the Reds do make an enquiry then City should quote a ridiculous price!"

KEEP YOUR GRUBBY MITTS OFF UNITED :o

From City's web site

City v Newcastle down the years

City travel to St James’ Park looking for their first win there since 2001, but the Blues will be buoyed by their successful visit to the north-east two weeks ago.

Goals from Distin and Mpenza ensured that City had their first win at either of Boro’s two homes since 1977, and this weekend’s squad will boast two players who featured in the last win at St James’ in Nick Weaver and Richard Dunne.

A second half goal from Shaun Goater was the difference six years ago, and City’s last win over the Magpies came in what turned out to be Graeme Souness’ final game in charge, a 3-0 defeat in February last year.

But looking further back there are two wins over Newcastle that are defining moments in City history. Dennis Tueart’s overhead kick regained the lead in the 1976 League Cup final, with the Blues holding out for a famous 2-1 win, but eight years before that City secured the Championship at St James’ Park in dramatic style.

The Blues had gone into the final game of the season level on points with Manchester United, but goals from Neil Young (2), Mike Summerbee and Francis Lee saw City 4-2 up on 63 minutes. A late Newcastle goal set the nerves jangling, but as City held on the news filtered through that United had lost at home to Sunderland, and the title was on it’s way to Maine Road.

From City's web site

Newcastle in City's sights

City are fully focussed on Saturday’s visit to Newcastle and not on any games beyond that, insists Stuart Pearce.

The Blues face three games in just over a week, all against sides currently in the lower reaches of the Barclays Premiership table, but the Manager says that the prime objective is picking up where the team left off at Middlesbrough.

“The next three games are all big games for us and the clubs we are playing,” Pearce says. “There are three from eight teams that could be relegated, and there are one or two clubs that could do their cause a great turn by getting good results against teams from that eight.

“There's focus on Newcastle but not beyond that, our scouts have looked at it but from our point of view we can only look at Newcastle. We know it's going to be a tough game up there for us.

"If we get a result at St James', we could look over a two-week period where we had two tough games but got two good results away from home and be pleased with that. But we know we'll still have to win the next game after that.”

With no more international breaks or cup weekends for City, the team have nine games left in a period that Pearce says was always going to shape how the season was going to be perceived.

He adds: “Our season will be viewed on where we finish. I said some months ago that it's all about where you finish.

“We're really at the business end of the season now. If we don't pick up a victory between now and the summer, the chances are we're going to have big, big problems with regard to not being in this league.

“But you know full well that if you can get some decent results between now and the summer, it can push you up the league, can give you that feelgood factor and change how you're viewed.”

From sky sports

City wait on Richards scan

Stuart Pearce hopes to learn the full extent of Micah Richards' calf injury on Thursday.

Richards was forced off just past the hour mark of England's 3-0 win over Andorra on Wednesday night and was replaced by Kieron Dyer.

The teenage defender has been struggling with the problem for some time and suffered a recurrence of the complaint in Manchester City's last game against Middlesbrough.

He is due back at City on Thursday morning and Pearce is keeping his fingers crossed that it is not a major setback.

"Like every club manager this week you hope all the boys return back fully fit," said Pearce on Sky Sports News.

"But first thing Thursday morning you've no idea on how any of your international players are and you just hope they're okay.

"We will have a look this morning when he (Richards) comes in and see what he's like, and he will have a scan."

Pearce had no complaints with Richards playing for England, but reiterated it is an injury which could require surgery in the summer.

The City boss added: "Obviously we have concerns about him and this calf problem, but the bottom line is it is a great honour for him and this football club that he represents his country.

"We are monitoring his situation up to the summer. He's had an ongoing problem for a number of months to be quite honest with you, with cramping in the calves.

"If our medical people feel we have to address that in the summer we will do so."

Pearce backing for Corradi :o

Stuart Pearce has jumped to the defence of striker Bernardo Corradi.

The Italian has struggled to make an impact since his arrival from Valencia and was left on the bench in Manchester City's 2-0 win at Middlesbrough.

Last week, the striker was reportedly quoted on Italian TV saying he was unhappy at Eastlands and was considering a move.

But the Manchester City boss says he has spoken to the 31-year-old and says the matter is now closed.

"I actually don't know what he has said. Someone mentioned to me that he had said something, but he came to me on Tuesday and told me that there had been things quoted to him that he hadn't said and were not true," Pearce told the club's official website.

"I told him that I don't take too much notice of what goes into newspapers, normally I only take heed of what players say face-to-face.

"That's the case here, he told me there was no truth in it, and I said that was not a problem to me.

"If a player's not in the team I don't expect them to be particularly happy, I understand that and that is the way it should be in this squad."

CITY are bracing themselves for a £20m summer bid from rivals United for Micah Richards.

Us, grubby, you're the ones that play at Wastelands....! :D

Oh, Micahs on his way, he's coming to play today, he saw the light, it was f**ckin bright at Ciddy he could not stay....!

(I only had 3 minutes) :D

redrus

Us, grubby, you're the ones that play at Wastelands....! :D

Oh, Micahs on his way, he's coming to play today, he saw the light, it was f**ckin bright at Ciddy he could not stay....!

(I only had 3 minutes) :D

Not bad Red :D

Archived