Manchester City

mrbojangles

Richards undergoes calf op

Stuart Pearce has confirmed Micah Richards will not play for Manchester City again this season after undergoing a calf operation.

Richards had been booked in for surgery at the end of the campaign and, last week, was ruled out of England's Euro 2008 qualifier with Estonia in June.

But, with an ankle injury also troubling the teenager, City opted to bring forward surgery on the calf problem.

"Micah had his operation yesterday," Pearce told the club's official website. "All appears to have gone well.

"The rehabilitation will take a number of weeks and the aim is to get him back for pre-season training.

"He won't play until pre-season now, whatever games are coming up, whether they be the full England squad or the Under 21 tournament, he won't be available for those."

Richards has missed City's last six Premiership games and will now sit out the closing three matches against Aston Villa, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur.

Meanwhile, Pearce is confident City are close to finalising long-term contracts for Emile Mpenza and Michael Ball.

He added: "I think we are pretty close with both of them.

"In this day and age negotiations tend to be protracted, but hopefully they can reach a positive conclusion."

I am not able to comprehend why chelsea would be fashionable, for having an owner that robbed his people blind to f u c k off and buy a club in England!

Is bought success fashionable? Pretty f u c k i n w a nk in my opinion!

Blue Army!

Since the introduction of club only forums on here, it's been pretty pleasant banter with fellow club supporters. I just don't get why someone who doesn't support a team would want to go on that website with the intention of TRYING to wind them up. As i've said before, must be very lonely on the ManUre forum! And he says we are jealous of them, doh!

Well said Bred. In approx 800 posts in here and in United's thread, there hasn't really been any unpleasantness, just good banter with Red, Nev, Mucky and the rest of the crew.

Markg, let's keep it that way eh :o

I have re-read my posts and i dont think i said anything bad against city at all.

My inidial point was to come on here and try to urge city fans to NOT take Thaksins money.

And i would do the same for the fans of ANY footie club. So you can see, this isnt a city/United thing - though someone on here suggested i was doing it because United were scared of the competition.

So, it's not me having a go at you really is it?

I personally dislike any one individual coming in with a huge wad of money. I think its unfair.

The success of a footie team is based on many things, from good luck, the rub of the green, to great management and in my view, the most important, is a great youth academy. Something which i think United have, and something which city have addressed pretty well in recent years too.

I know its a bit naive of me to suggest that we all stand up against individuals coming in with a huge pile of cash, but i think the FA should put a cap on it. Really, i do.

How would week-in-week-out grafting teams, like city (and i'm not having a go here) feel if similar clubs, and i'm thinking spurs, everton, newcastle etc suddenly got a MASSIVE cash injection. It just wouldnt be fair to city. They couldnt compete in the salary and transfer markets on a level playing field.

If city complained to the FA about that - i would support them! Really, i would.

As i said, it's naive of me, and the business has moved on. But i still implore city fans to think long and hard about Thaksins motives and his long term future plans for mcfc.

City have had enough financial problems in the past without taking this guys dirty money.

Dont sell your souls for a few quid is all i'm saying.

And to Bredbury Blue - being a city fan isnt genetic you know! It can be bred out of ya. My DAD is a blue !!

I understand your point mark but i fear it's too late for that. The only way it could be fair for everyone, is to have caps on wages and transfer fees, so that the richest clubs don't have an unfair advantage. That won't happen, me thinks.

• Like 1

I understand your point mark but i fear it's too late for that. The only way it could be fair for everyone, is to have caps on wages and transfer fees, so that the richest clubs don't have an unfair advantage. That won't happen, me thinks.

Yes. I absolutely couldnt agree more.

A quick example of how players have changed. (All paid for by us, the fans, dont forget)

In about 1976 our family went on holiday with Tony Dunnes family. (most capped United player of all time, winner of a '68 European cup medal) We went to Pontins at Prestatyn Sands for a fortnight. (North Wales). He drove his Ford Capri 1.6 and we went in our car. We all stayed in standard chalets.

The Dunnes still live in the same house opposite me Mum in sale. (one of the reasons i'm a red)

In about 1978 (?) Paul Power, the then captain of city, came to view our house as we were thinking of selling it at the time. BUT he couldnt afford it !!!!!!! (Secretly i think it was all the Man United posters i had up in me bedroom)

I cannot imagine either of the two examples happening today. Salary and transfer caps really do have to be looked at. I'm not saying go back to the days when they got paid 2 and 6, (and caused Bally to sell his world cup medals) but who could really complain about earning (say) only 15 k a week!

You're right tho Mr B. It's probably too late. And some of that is the fans fault too i guess.

Do you ever think it will come about, or will wages and transfers keep spiralling out of control?

You remember the first million pound signing.? A million pounds.......ehhhh who'd have thought it.

I reckon we will see the first billion pound signing in our lifetime.

Good luck for next season.

Big Sam for City then ?? :o:D ?? . And what does the good half of Manchester think about the boy Ranson taking over if he gets the chance ?? , are you of ther opinion that the more money you bring the better ??????

Ranson or Taxsin :D:D:D

I think Big Sam would be an excellent choice for city, i really do.

As you probably gather, i dont agree that more money brings you better results. A LOT MORE money does. But there are only so many Abramocrooks in the world.

Players to go:

Vassell - No

Corradi - Definately

Dickov - Yes

Hamman - Yes

Sinclair - Yes

Mills - ??

Sun -No

Dabo - Yes

Beasley - No

Give Samaras a chance, No, get rid he's had a chance and at best i think he will be mediocre

My view in red above

As for SP, i just don't like the fact he's doing the England U21's as well. It's time for 100% commitment me thinks.

• Like 1

Allardyce: It was time to go

Sam Allardyce admits he wanted to stay at Bolton Wanderers until the end of the season and has played down speculation he could become Manchester City manager.

After a weekend of rumours, Allardyce quit as Bolton boss on Sunday and plans to take a break from football after almost eight years in charge of The Trotters.

He revealed he came close to quitting the job last year and accepts the timing of his departure is best for the club.

"It was a very difficult decision, of course, and one which was come to with an amicable agreement between me and Phil (Gartside, Bolton chairman)," Allardyce told Sky Sports News.

"I would have liked it to be at the end of the season, but unfortunately some of these things don't stay private.

"Two weeks, or two-and-a-half weeks, it's been since it was discussed - perhaps that's a long time anyway.

"It wasn't to be. With all the speculation that's carried on, we decided yesterday was a good time to get all the press out of the way, and let the team and Sammy (Lee) focus on the last two games without any more speculation that's flying around.

"It's time for Sam Allardyce to take a break. I make big decisions every day in life as a manager and once I've made it I stick to it.

"I've always been my own man and I made those feelings with Phil clear over long, long discussions, who fought extremely hard to make me change that decision.

"I nearly did it (resigned) last year to be fair. I spoke to Alan Curbishley at great length about him taking a break after 14 years at Charlton. Of course, that's been in my mind since then and I think it's the right time for me."

Allardyce has been linked with replacing Stuart Pearce as manager at The City of Manchester Stadium as part of Ray Ranson's bid to take over the club.

But he moved to cool those rumours, saying: "I'm not a good friend of Ray Ranson's. I played against Ray.

"That's been speculation for weeks and weeks now and it was bound to happen more when I've made a decision like this."

Pearce curses home jinx

Stuart Pearce admits Manchester City are struggling for form at home, but believes he knows what he needs to do to turn things around in the summer.

City have not won a game at home in the league since New Year's Day, and lost again on Saturday, going down 2-0 to Aston Villa.

However, Pearce believes his side could have gone on to win the game had Joey Barton converted his penalty or Emile Mpenza tucked away his chance when he went through on goal.

"We're disappointed," he told Sky Sports. "We had opportunities certainly and I thought for the first 25 minutes we were on top of the opposition, but we failed to take our chances and their keeper made a couple of good saves.

"Then we went a goal down and it affected our confidence a little bit, but we've struggled a little bit at home.

"Maybe missing a penalty just before half-time's sealed our fate in the second-half, but then Emile's gone through and could have evened things up.

"We missed chances today and maybe it was costly."

Pearce does not agree with the idea that playing at home is always an advantage and feels that, for now at least, it is actually a problem for his side.

"Sometimes, as I've found out in my career, it's more difficult at home. The expectation of the fans is on you and one thing and another, but, as I said, I'm just disappointed we've not taken our chances.

"It's been a strange season for us - we started the season extremely well in the home matches and then we've gone off the boil a little bit and then picked up the reins away from home.

"When things are going against you at home, they go against you."

However, he is confident he can turn things around for next season.

"I think you look at your squad throughout the season. We know what we need to improve us as a squad and we'll endeavour to do that in the summer."

• Like 1

Villa edge out dour City

Aston Villa took advantage of a lacklustre Manchester City side to record a 2-0 win at Eastlands, leaving Martin O'Neill's men unbeaten in seven games.

Joey Barton's missed penalty on the stroke of half-time proved costly as goals from John Carew and substitute Shaun Maloney secured a Villa win.

However, there was a silver lining for City, as Charlton's failure to beat Blackburn guaranteed they will be playing Premiership football next season.

Although there were few other positives for City in the game, they did begin the stronger, with Dietmar Hamann firing well wide in the first minute before Barton struck a better effort from distance three minutes later.

In these early stages, Stuart Pearce's men were using possession well, keeping their passing short and carving out openings from time to time, while Villa looked short of creativity.

However, there were warning signs for City: Gabriel Agbonlahor should have done better when he latched onto the ball between two defenders, but he failed to get any power into the shot and City were spared.

And, after 19 minutes, a great chest-trap and volley from Craig Gardner sailed just wide of Andreas Isaksson's right post.

At this point, gaps were appearing again and again and Villa looked to be in the ascendancy.

They made that superiority count in the 24th minute when Ashley Young's skill down the left created enough space for him to swing in a right-foot cross - Carew was never likely to miss a header from that range with that much time.

Unfortunately for the home fans, City had not learnt their lesson. Agbonlahor was given a free header from a free-kick five minutes later, but steered it just inches wide to hand City a reprieve.

But City could still find no penetration. Where Villa had looked one-dimensional in the early phases, the pace of Young and Agbonlahor had now started to open City up; City, by contrast, looked neutered by Villa's sudden improvement.

As ever, they looked to Barton to find a response, and his fine shot handed the hosts a corner on the stroke of half-time.

As the ball came in, Sorensen charged into the back of Vassell and referee Mark Halsey pointed to the spot, provoking concerted protestations from the Villa defence.

They had no need for concern, however, as Barton ballooned the ball meekly over the bar - perhaps inevitably, given that his side is still on course to record the worst goals haul in their history.

In the second half, neither side began with much gusto. Sun Jihai had been brought on for Nedum Onuoha, but that move was never likely to generate many more chances.

Georgios Samaras' missed header from a Stephen Ireland cross 10 minutes in was about as dramatic as it got for a while, although Sylvain Distin, too, failed to head City level a few minutes later when Hamann swung a free-kick in.

Villa were guilty of missing chances as well - Wilfred Bouma looped the ball over the bar when Agbonlahor played him in.

The best chance, though, fell to Emile Mpenza who, clean through and with only Sorensen to beat, managed to fire directly at the advancing goalkeeper's legs.

Both sides looked to be lacking any sort of clinical edge and perhaps it was too much to expect further goals from two sides with fewer goals between them this season than league leaders Manchester United.

City made another change with Trevor Sinclair coming on for Hamann, but then any hopes for further goals took a knock when the one man who could score was substituted - Carew limped out of the action on 71 minutes to be replaced by Maloney.

However, shortly after his arrival, Maloney provided just the spark the game needed. He lined up a free-kick outside and curled it over the wall, dispatching it neatly into the corner of Isaksson's goal after 75 minutes.

With the score at 2-0, there was little of note to report in the closing minutes, with a Samaras header across the goal on 83 minutes the closest anyone came to adding to the scoreline.

Pearce wants quick business

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce is hoping for a swift transfer window after having his fingers burnt in the past.

Pearce, who tried to sign Tottenham striker Mido in the January transfer window but failed due to lack of funds available, says moves must be made quicker if he is to secure the players he wants.

The City boss is determined not to miss out again in the summer and is eager to get all his transfer business done swiftly.

"In an ideal world, any manager would prefer to sit down over the next couple of weeks, decide what targets they are going to go for and then get them tied up in the first week of the summer," said Pearce.

"That is the plan for us too, although, as I have found out over the last two years, those plans don't always work out as easily as that.

"But that is what I will endeavour to do, so we will see where it takes us."

There is still some uncertainty as to the club's ownership and to Pearce's commitment to The Blues as he remains in charge of the England Under 21 squad.

His international coaching role will see Pearce travel to Holland in mid-June for the Uefa European Championship.

The City boss though has the support of chairman John Wardle who says cash will be made available to bolster the Blues squad.

Pearce admits goals have been massively lacking in his side's performances, adding: "Over the whole season we have struggled to score goals. We have just not taken the chances we have created.

"The important thing is to try and do something about it this summer."

Georgios Samaras and former Italian international Bernardo Corradi have been branded expensive flops by fans this season, making the signing of additional forwards an absolute must.

Pearce concluded: "There won't be too many sides, outside the top two, that won't sit back and analyse their season and say they need to address a few weaknesses. That is certainly what we will be doing."

• Like 1

Wardle reassures supporters

Manchester City chairman John Wardle has reassured the club's supporters that funds will be released for squad strengthening in the summer, irrespective of whether a takeover materialises.

A consortium headed by former player Ray Ranson (pictured) is bidding to take control at Eastlands, with another 'indicative proposal' having been put to City's board on Thursday morning.

However, while Wardle is willing to sell the 29 per cent stake he holds in the club with former business partner David Makin, Ranson's proposals have thus far been given short shrift.

It has been suggested in some quarters that Ranson not does have the necessary funds to fulfil all the proposals he has put forward, although any such accusation has been rebuffed by parties close to the consortium figurehead.

As yet City have refused to engage in dialogue with Ranson but while City supporters may be sceptical as to whether the existing board would back manager Stuart Pearce financially in the summer, Wardle has moved to allay any such fears.

"Plans are being made for the new season," Wardle said.

"It is important that our supporters know that, whatever happens with regard to potential new investment, the board will support the manager in the transfer market.

"Funds were made available by the board for squad strengthening in the winter window, although we were unsuccessful in bringing in all the players we targeted.

"We will provide significant support again this summer."

• Like 1

For all those lonely ManU fans who insist on coming on here , there's a very good article in the current fourfourtwo mag on sale in thailand about ManU and Liverpool - who's the biggest and best [for my tenpenth - ManU are the biggest with out a doubt, as for who'd the best i couldn't careless] - City and Everton get a measly mention each in the article.

Also checkout the current 'Lonely Planet guide to England' on Manchester and see what it says about City and ManU!

So what's going to happen in the Derby?

Obviously form can go out of the window but i think there's too much at stake for ManU plus we can't score so it should probably be 0 v 2 or something similar. Our best bet is to play that 4-5-1 formation and bore the pants off everybody as we've been doing and hope to get a goal on the break (which we are ok at) or from a set piece, but i reckon Pearce will gamble and go for broke as he can see his days are almost up having failed to impress since his opening 13 game run two seasons back and his failure to score at home since new years day and our almost relegation run in. Hope i'm so f*cking wrong, about the game that is, not pearce.

Please speak to city fans back home and tell them about Taksin.

He'll be a problem maker for you, not a problem solver.

You could end up selling your souls for 50 mill in transfer fees and a legacy of future problems.

Suddenly the Glazers seem like choir boys in comparison.

At least both parties have something in common. Neither know anything about Europe!

Some comments off the Manchester Evening News online site

1. They are calling him Dr. Shinawatra.

2. One of the American syndicates courting city, own 35 donkey sanctuaries in Arkansas. (Make your own jokes here)

3. None of the city fans living in Mancheser seem to like stuart pierce !

Have a look for yourselves

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...y_proposal.html

Mr. Barton at it again :o:D

Last Updated: Tuesday, 1 May 2007, 15:44 GMT 16:44 UK o.gifdot_629.gif<A onclick="popUpPage('http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/email/news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/6612933.stm','status=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=370,height=445','Mailer')" href="http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/email/news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/6612933.stm" target=Mailer>email.gif E-mail this to a friend print.gif Printable version Man City ban Barton after bust-up _42871235_barton203.jpg Barton's agent claims the player was defending himselfManchester City have suspended Joey Barton for the rest of the season after he hit team-mate Ousmane Dabo in training, BBC Sport understands.

Dabo had to go to hospital after suffering injuries to his mouth during the incident at Carrington on Tuesday.

Barton's agent, Willie McKay, was responsible for bringing Dabo to City from Lazio in June 2006.

He told BBC Sport: "As far as I've heard, Joey was defending himself. But because it is Joey it makes headlines."

McKay added: "It happens on training grounds all over the country, from Chelsea to Yeovil."

City are currently refusing to confirm the identity of the player who has been suspended.

A club statement read: "We can confirm that a player has been suspended pending an internal investigation."

Former France international Dabo, 30, signed a three-year deal with City last year.

Midfielder Barton, 24, won his first England cap in the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford in February.

Yet his early career as a first-team player at City was blighted by controversy.

In 2004, Barton was fined a club record six weeks' wages after stubbing out a cigar in team-mate Jamie Tandy's eye during City's Christmas party.

Barton ended up in more trouble during City's pre-season tour of Thailand in 2005, when he physically attacked a schoolboy Everton fan and had to be restrained by team-mate Richard Dunne.

Barton was subsequently sent home in disgrace and fined eight weeks' wages.

Well deserved Dunney :o

Dunnie's best is yet to come

Player of the year and City’s captain fantastic Richard Dunne has won more praise from Blues boss Stuart Pearce.

Dunne has won the Official Supporters Club City Player of the Season award for the third straight year, but the Manager thinks that there is even better to come from the Irish international.

“Stand alongside Richard Dunne and you have a good man alongside you, not just a good footballer,” says Pearce. “I’m very pleased for him winning this award, the respect he has from the rest of the squad is immense and that can only grow. The beauty of the situation is that we have not seen the best of Richard Dunne yet.

“Add to all this that he has not missed one minute of one game this season, that shows his consistency and his discipline in an age where it so easy to get five bookings. He’s avoided injuries and played for Ireland when others have had a rest, he’s had a fantastic season for the club and we are very proud of him.”

Pearce handed Dunne the captain’s armband last summer, and he thinks the responsibility has only added to his rapid improvement over the last few seasons.

“He’s maturing at a hel_l of a rate as a player, and his general all-round play over the last three years has been outstanding. He’s embraced the captaincy fantastically well, and I think he can only get better.

“It’s not just down to physical attributes, knowledge of the game and how you mature as a person come into it. There are a lot of good centre halves that, physically, are near the end of their careers.

“Richard is 27 and has played a phenomenal amount of games, but if we can build on his leadership qualities and my relationship with him, in some ways we can give him more responsibility as captain.”

• Like 1

Players to go:

Vassell-YES

Corradi-YES!!

DickovYES

Hamman:YES

Sinclair:NO

Mills:NO

Sun:NO

Dabo:YES

Beasley:NO

Is it me or is anyone else dreading the Derby on Saturday?I really think we are going to get a hammering,i just cannot see how we can

get a result.If United are on there game they will walk straight through our flimsy Midfield especially as Barton is suspended.I agree

with you Mr Bo what a tragic waste of talent but i think he will be shown the door.I think the end of the season cannot come quick

enough and we have to thank our lucky stars that we have stayed up because lets be honest we should,nt have.Further more if the clown,

sorry SP,stays at the helm we are going to be in BIG trouble again and as the list at the beginning shows we need new blood brought in

but PLEASE LORD not by SO or he will waste further money on the likes of Corradi,Samaras,Dabo etc.His potenially on good addition to the squad

is Beesley and i still dont believe we have seen anywhere near his best and deserves/requires an extended run in the side.

Is it me or is anyone else dreading the Derby on Saturday?I really think we are going to get a hammering,i just cannot see how we can

get a result.

Yep, me too Tot. The way are playing compared to them, makes me fear for the worst this weekend :o

• Like 1

Barton certainly seems to have a problem.. wasn't he the guy that got in a punch up in Thailand a couple of years ago when City were on a pre-season tour?

As for the derby match.. well, that's what can make the difference; a derby. We'll have little rest between the Milan game tonight and the City game Saturday.. should we lose the Semi then I wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to get a result against you.. But then again... I might be wrong... :o

Barton certainly seems to have a problem.. wasn't he the guy that got in a punch up in Thailand a couple of years ago when City were on a pre-season tour?

Yep mucky, that was him

As for the derby match.. well, that's what can make the difference; a derby.

Under normal circumstances i would agree but at the moment we're very poor

• Like 1

Ok people , I have decided that if you want to have a pop at your least favourite teams you can now do so using a new thread thread

Those of you that continue to slag off other teams on their dedicated thread will be treated in a vulgar fashion..

You are still welcome to add sensible critique but try to be intelligient in your chocie of words.

Chon

PFA offer Barton help

The PFA has vowed to offer assistance to Joey Barton following the training ground incident with Ousmane Dabo.

Manchester City have suspended the midfielder until the end of the season after Dabo was left needing hospital treatment.

The club will now make inquiries into what happened and, while the PFA has no objection to Barton's immediate suspension, deputy chief executive Mick McGuire has promised to help the player if Manchester City's final decision is deemed unfair.

"We will offer Joey help and, if there is a requirement for mediation, we will be there," he said.

"We have spoken to the club and are in the process of speaking to Joey as well to get the full facts.

"Once City have made their judgement, we will be in a position to decide whether in our opinion it was the right one or not, but for now we have followed regulations because they are allowed to suspend for a couple of weeks pending inquiries."

Meanwhile, Stuart Pearce has told fans to stop singling out Georgios Samaras for criticism.

The Greece international has become a target for the boo boys at The City of Manchester Stadium and Pearce believes he has become a scapegoat.

"If there are any misgivings at the club then people always throw Georgios into the mix," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"He is 22 years old and it is drastically unfair to name him after every defeat. It is very unfair to pick one individual out and blame it on him.

"If people want to say player A had not done well, player B had not done well and player C had not done well and, by the way, the manager had done badly as well, then that's fine, but I find it quite sad that one person is being picked on as a scapegoat.

"It is important that when you win, you win together - and when you lose, you lose together."