Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sour grapes mrboj. laugh.png

Sour grapes over what smokes? We won yesterday and are through to the next round. Happy about that.

If this guy came on the Spurs thread cracking jokes (loose term) that weren't anywhere near factually correct, what would you lot do? Actually, don't answer that cos I know already. You jump on him like a pack of wolf hounds. It would have been funny had we won the FA Cup and then the ash cloud appeared but as the ash cloud came first by a year, the material just ain't funny. Well MrRed thought it was, which ain't a surprise but you!! Mmm, it's now open season in my book biggrin.png

Can't believe City's loaned striker Roque Santa Cruz is through to the Quarters of the Champs League and he scored last night for Malaga against Porto. Maybe we should offer him a new contract cos his expires at the end of this season laugh.png

Have United got any players in the Quarters tongue.png

Can't believe City's loaned striker Roque Santa Cruz is through to the Quarters of the Champs League and he scored last night for Malaga against Porto. Maybe we should offer him a new contract cos his expires at the end of this season laugh.png

I forgot all about that dismal failure......where have all the millions gone, long time passing? wink.png

I forgot all about that dismal failure......where have all the millions gone, long time passing? wink.png

Mark Hughes as manager seems such a distant memory

As will Henry soon. tongue.png

As will Henry soon. tongue.png

IF we win the FA Cup, it may be enough for us to keep him a bit longer. There is no doubt that we haven't performed well in this years Prem campaign and although we had an extremely tough group in the Champs League, not progressing through to the knockout stages will be seen by our owners as not being up to scratch.

Mark Hughes as a distant memory? I can remember many more John Bond/John Benson/Peter Reid/Tony Book/Alan Ball/Kevin Keegan my god the list of City failures is endless-32 years of abject misery while down the road the honours have been rolling in season after season- its been heartbreaking for the blue mo(a)oners all these dark years, and now that you have finally had some success SAF decides "our noisy neighbours" must be put in their place again.clap2.gif

Mark Hughes as a distant memory? I can remember many more John Bond/John Benson/Peter Reid/Tony Book/Alan Ball/Kevin Keegan my god the list of City failures is endless-32 years of abject misery while down the road the honours have been rolling in season after season- its been heartbreaking for the blue mo(a)oners all these dark years, and now that you have finally had some success SAF decides "our noisy neighbours" must be put in their place again.clap2.gif

Nothing new city out spending united and some of those managers was to blame for city going down and getting into a finacial mess, for the 1st 5 years of the premier league city out spent united, while we was buying Cantona for 1.2 mil city was buying Terry phelan for 2.5 mil just look at this listbiggrin.png

http://redarmy.co.uk/red-army-mythbusters-busting-the-myth-manchester-united-have-always-outspent-city/2012/02/03/

In 1992/3 we bought Eric Cantona for £1.2m they bought Terry Phelan for £2.5m

In 1993/4 we spent nearly our entire budget on Roy Keane £3.75m they bought Nicky Summerbee £1,5m, Peter Beagrie £1,1m, Paul Walsh £750,000, Uwe Rosler £750,000, David Rocastle £2m, Carl Griffiths £500,000, Alan Kernaghan £1,6, Total £8,2m

In 1994/5 we bought andy cole & David May for a combined £8.25m but we sold 6 players including Mark hughes & Paul Ince for £12.2m making a profit of £4m

Nothing new city out spending united and some of those managers was to blame for city going down and getting into a finacial mess, for the 1st 5 years of the premier league city out spent united, while we was buying Cantona for 1.2 mil city was buying Terry phelan for 2.5 mil just look at this listbiggrin.png

http://redarmy.co.uk/red-army-mythbusters-busting-the-myth-manchester-united-have-always-outspent-city/2012/02/03/

In 1993/4 we spent nearly our entire budget on Roy Keane £3.75m they bought Nicky Summerbee £1,5m, Peter Beagrie £1,1m, Paul Walsh £750,000, Uwe Rosler £750,000, David Rocastle £2m, Carl Griffiths £500,000, Alan Kernaghan £1,6, Total £8,2m

In 1994/5 we bought andy cole & David May for a combined £8.25m but we sold 6 players including Mark hughes & Paul Ince for £12.2m making a profit of £4m

You'll have to be smarter than that nev. That link was written by a RAG so I was instantly suspicious. Now try a better unbiased source here:- http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/statistiken/wettbewerbe/transfers_GB1_1996.html

I decided to check just one of the figures your RAG mate quoted but couldn't get any of his figures to stack up. I therefore decided to treat the article with the contempt it deserves and the pack of lies that it is. Search yourself on that site andf you'll instantly see what I mean.

You'll have to be smarter than that nev. That link was written by a RAG so I was instantly suspicious. Now try a better unbiased source here:- http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/statistiken/wettbewerbe/transfers_GB1_1996.html

I decided to check just one of the figures your RAG mate quoted but couldn't get any of his figures to stack up. I therefore decided to treat the article with the contempt it deserves and the pack of lies that it is. Search yourself on that site andf you'll instantly see what I mean.

Roy Keane 7.48 milcheesy.gif what a crock of shit that site is he cost 3.75mil.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/statistiken/wettbewerbe/transfers_GB1_1993.html

So you are denying you bought those players listed above clap2.gif

www.transferleague.co.uk is more accurate and not doubling Roy Keane's price to suit an agenda.cheesy.gif

Anyway. That last post got me thinking and so I've done a quick search and found this article by a John McDougall (who is a Man United fan BTW). Here's his link:- http://footballspeak.com/author/256.aspx

And here is his article in football speak:- http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/10/City-bought-the-title.aspx

I won't copy and paste the full article but here is a snippet where he goes on to talk about Man United and don't forget this only covers the Premiership years. To be fair to the RAG, he ain't a bad RAG wink.png

Manchester City bought the Premier League title, but who hasn’t?

Manchester United: 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2010-11

If we look at City’s fierce local rivals, Manchester United, the idea that the Red Devils have not spent large sums of money to acquire players is simply ludicrous. If we look at the United line-up for the last Manchester derby, we see a team that is not exactly built on poverty or austerity. David De Gea, the most expensive goalkeeper in British transfer history at £17 million, started inbetween the sticks, just behind Rio Ferdinand, the most expensive ever English centre-half at £29.1 million. Up front, the most expensive teenager in history in the form of £27 million Wayne Rooney played as a lone striker whilst Dimitar Berbatov, the most expensive player Sir Alex Ferguson has ever signed at £30.75 million, was an unused substitute and will most likely depart Old Trafford this summer for a fraction of the fee he was purchased for. In fact, if the cost of the two starting-11 line-ups from last Monday are worked out, it is United’s that actually comes out as being the marginally more expensive. So much for City buying the league then.

Indeed, United have consistently spent the big bucks throughout the entire history of the Premier League over the past 20 years and before. They have broken the British record transfer fee on three occasions in the past 20 years, spending £7 million on Andy Cole in 1995, £28.1 million on Juan Sebastian Veron in 2001 and £29.1 million on Ferdinand in 2002. The bedrock of United’s first Premier League success was built on spending big, having spent a combined fee of £6.75 million on Danny Wallace, Gary Pallister, Paul Ince, Mike Phelan and Neil Webb, with a £1.5 million captain in Bryan Robson at the helm of the first Manchester United title winning side for 26 years. Perhaps these aren’t fees which are that high nowadays, but in the early to mid nineties, this represented serious money.

Fast forward to the present day, and although City have invested hugely in their squad recently, United have done precisely the same over the past decade. Of those who are no longer there who were bought for substantial fees – besides Veron, Cole, Dwight Yorke, Fabian Barthez, and Henning Berg - £19 million was spent on Dutch striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy, £13 million on French forward Louis Saha and £17 million on injury plagued central midfielder Owen Hargreaves. In the present day squad, there are plenty of acquisitions in and around the £15 million - £20 million price range, including Michael Carrick, Nani, Phil Jones, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia and Anderson amongst others.

Of course, it must be said that United has a proud history of producing its own players from the youth system. From the Cliff, Fergie’s Fledgling’s – or the class of ’92, as some call them – truly memorable players were produced and nurtured, including Gary Neville, Philip Neville, Nicky Butt, David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, the latter duo of which are still on the books at United. After that came players like Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Darren Fletcher, and Jonny Evans, whilst just this season has seen Tom Cleverley and the promising Danny Welbeck make the step-up to the senior United squad. Whilst it must be said that United have used their youth set-up to great effect, they have still spent money in the transfer window when needed to, and have certainly not been afraid to part with large sums of money to get the players they have wanted. They may not have spent the same amount of money City have in the past few seasons, but United have certainly spent not inconsiderable sums on players over the past 20 years.

• Like 1

Roy Keane 7.48 milcheesy.gif what a crock of shit that site is he cost 3.75mil.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/statistiken/wettbewerbe/transfers_GB1_1993.html

So you are denying you bought those players listed above clap2.gif

www.transferleague.co.uk is more accurate and not doubling Roy Keane's price to suit an agenda.cheesy.gif

I'm not gonna look into every player you have bought and sold and double check every last signing. There is so much smoke and mirrors around transfer fees that much is down to speculation anyway. But I have no affiliation to that site and I'm not gonna verify any errors they may or may not have made. Will you verify every single figure that your RAG buddy on "redarmy" ? One thing is for sure, Roy Keane was a record transfer fee at the time wink.png

Edit. P.S. And no, I'm not going to deny we bought those players above, I didn't deny it earlier. But what has the transfers over that single season got to do with the price of Fish.

think that transfermkt.co.uk is run by some kid in a bedroom in germany. its transfer fees cited are always wildly inconsistent, even with those that were widely reported in the media or in club official accounts.

think that transfermkt.co.uk is run by some kid in a bedroom in germany. its transfer fees cited are always wildly inconsistent, even with those that were widely reported in the media or in club official accounts.

As I said stevie, I'm not verifying anything. It's just another source (of many) that shows a different view to the RAG (also unverified) source. Thought that article was a good one written by the United fan though.

nev's silence on that one is deafening.

Last summer, Mancini identified Robin van Persie, Eden Hazard, Daniele De Rossi, Javi Martínez and Daniel Agger as his prime choices but City missed out on all of them. While they would have cost around £138m, Mancini had to settle for Jack Rodwell, Javi García, Matija Nastasic, Sinclair and Maicon who – Rodwell apart – were all signed on the final day of the August window for just £38m.laugh.png

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/13/carlos-tevez-samir-nasri-city-clearout

Buying a title is not about how much money you spend, it's about where the money comes from. If Millwall win the FA Cup this year, they'll get a large injection of cash and with that money, be able to buy more expensive players - quite possibly more expensive players than their immediate rivals. If Millwall then go on to have greater success than their immediate rivals because of those players they bought with that money, nobody can accuse them of having bought success, because they haven't, they have earned it. The club generated its increased resources by itself. Somebody didn't walk through the door and simply give it to them.

Last summer, Mancini identified Robin van Persie, Eden Hazard, Daniele De Rossi, Javi Martínez and Daniel Agger as his prime choices but City missed out on all of them. While they would have cost around £138m, Mancini had to settle for Jack Rodwell, Javi García, Matija Nastasic, Sinclair and Maicon who – Rodwell apart – were all signed on the final day of the August window for just £38m.laugh.png

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/13/carlos-tevez-samir-nasri-city-clearout

I know what you are intimating Ups. But to be fair, our owners stated that we would not see spending of the likes we did the previous season again. There was no way on earth we were about to spend that kind of money without first selling, no matter who Mancini had identified (whether fiction or not). Lets be honest, players get linked to all and sundry and with us having the dosh, we get linked with them all.

P.S. Out of that lot, Nastasic has turned out to be a great buy and (for a change) we got him cheap. Garcia is getting better with more game time and Rodwell was an up and coming but has had a bad season due to injuries. Sinclair and Maicon are both bad business IMO.

• Like 1

P.P.S. I'm bemused at the lengths the RAGs go to, to try and deny they have spent more than us on players. What does it matter, they had the money and spent it on players. Nobody is knocking that (well I'm not) but trying to give us grief because we now have enough to compete with them is just pure jealousy and a sign that they are worried.........very worried. wink.png

P.P.S. I'm bemused at the lengths the RAGs go to, to try and deny they have spent more than us on players. What does it matter, they had the money and spent it on players. Nobody is knocking that (well I'm not) but trying to give us grief because we now have enough to compete with them is just pure jealousy and a sign that they are worried.........very worried. wink.png

Worried what about you lot over taking our soon to be 20 league titles or our 3 european cups or 11 Fa cups, not in my lifetimebiggrin.png

You will end up the same as Blackburn in a few years time.tongue.png

Worried what about you lot over taking our soon to be 20 league titles or our 3 european cups or 11 Fa cups, not in my lifetimebiggrin.png

Nope, obviously not about overtaking your history, in our time at least. Afterall, it took you about 120 years to do that. I'm talking about the future and the fact that you are scared of being knocked off your perch.

P.S. Out of that lot, Nastasic has turned out to be a great buy and (for a change) we got him cheap. Garcia is getting better with more game time and Rodwell was an up and coming but has had a bad season due to injuries. Sinclair and Maicon are both bad business IMO.

Any Everton fan will tell you that Rodwell has allways been a sicknote whistling.gif

Any Everton fan will tell you that Rodwell has allways been a sicknote whistling.gif

i thought Maicon was a peculiar bit of transfer busines.

No doubting your league title credentials, but don't you think your cup run is relatively poor. Yes you have the record for most FA cup wins, but not by the margin that perhaps you would expect. Same goes with European cups. Your league cup victories are less than Villa!

No doubting your league title credentials, but don't you think your cup run is relatively poor. Yes you have the record for most FA cup wins, but not by the margin that perhaps you would expect. Same goes with European cups. Your league cup victories are less than Villa!

Is it any wonder with stupid <deleted> statements like this why we now have a siege mentality against other supposedly massive English clubs and there followers!! w00t.gif deary me.

Peter

Any United fan will tell you Owen Hargreaves was toast!.........even are specialist physio team told the World when we did not give him a new contract.

City and there team did not see this valuable and open information and thought they can rebuild him(you tube video) laugh.png bionic man style........very strange signings and truly bad decisions by the management team!!clap2.gif

Is it any wonder with stupid <deleted> statements like this why we now have a siege mentality against other supposedly massive English clubs and there followers!! w00t.gif deary me.

That nerve is a bit tender isn't it. 55555

The fact is that all man u supporters are glory hunters. The difference between us and you is that we see a victory as something to be savoured, you guys see it as a right and when it doesnt go your way the dummies come out. It was observed that man u 'fans' were leaving the game early v Chelsea last week. Why? it was 2-2 and all to play for!!! The reason they were leaving is because man u weren't winning and it looked more likely Chelsea would nick it.

Man U fans, when the going gets tough they go home. 55555

Peter

Any United fan will tell you Owen Hargreaves was toast!.........even are specialist physio team told the World when we did not give him a new contract.

City and there team did not see this valuable and open information and thought they can rebuild him(you tube video) laugh.png bionic man style........very strange signings and truly bad decisions by the management team!!clap2.gif

You paid what, somewhere between 17-22m for Hargreaves and then let him come to us for free. And you are laughing at us. Those glasses are better than I give them credit for.