Manchester City

mrbojangles

Championship here we come.Its a fxxking joke!!!!!!!

Blimey Tot, we haven't even started the season yet. At the moment we are on the same points as United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. Glass half full and all that :D

Perhaps a tad melo dramatic :o ,however,you have to conceed it aint looking good.No manager,2 of our best players sold,no money,need i go on ...................

Not only is it breaking my heart that Thaksin is potentially buying the club, but we are now being linked with a FRENCH manager. Sacre Bleu, what next??????????

I only hope that Thaksins past history of doing the opposite to what he says, comes to fruition in relation to City and he f###s right off.

Jean Tigana has been linked as manager!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can say on that, is that if Thaksin does take over, then its virtually guaranteed that Tigana wont come,having had a major fall out with Fayed, who is Thaksins best friend and footballing advisor.

My short list for managers, from what I have read and my gut feelings

1)Paul Jewell

2)Aidy Boothroyd

3Didier Deschamps

I just hope they get it sorted soon, otherwise I can see us panic buying and overpaying for past it primadonnas :D

If some one was going to buy your business and they were in the paper on a daily basis accussed of all sorts of dodgy dealings, would you take the money and let them buy and own your company or would you think maybe this blokes a bit shady and lets move on? Come on City, move on!

If some one was going to buy your business and they were in the paper on a daily basis accussed of all sorts of dodgy dealings, would you take the money and let them buy and own your company or would you think maybe this blokes a bit shady and lets move on? Come on City, move on!

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Thaksin will be a foolish choice for city. He is more trouble than he is worth guys.

Have a look at this from Reuters,

Ousted PM identifies Eriksson as next Man City's manager

Manchester City's search for a manager has been further disrupted by an instruction from Thaksin Shinawatra, the club's prospective owner, to explore the possibility of tempting Sven-Goran Eriksson back into English football, the Guardian online reported on Tuesday.

The deposed Thai prime minister wants a high-profile appointment and has preferred Eriksson despite strong reservations within the club and in his own team of headhunters.

In the kind of confused plot that perhaps only City could be capable of, Eriksson is now among the leading candidates to be offered the job if Thaksin's takeover goes through, notwithstanding the misgivings of everyone in the recruitment process bar Thaksin himself.

Chaps. Thai people who are high up the ladder use a dictatorial style of management!

You'll get your fingers burned. You have been warned!!!

Edited by markg

Laughing Stock!!!!!

MANCHESTER CITY fear they will be a “laughing stock” if Sven Goran Eriksson is appointed boss.

Ex-Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to clinch a £108million takeover today.

But the major shareholders handing over power fear it could be a disaster if former England chief Eriksson is named boss.

A substantial shareholder said: “We cannot believe they would appoint Eriksson after his failure with England.

“The club could become a circus, a laughing stock. There is so much baggage on and off the pitch that comes with him. Eriksson is simply not the man to push the club forward.”

Eriksson’s agent Athole Still last night described any approach as “nonsense”.

City’s search for a new boss is fast becoming a joke and legend Peter Barnes said: “If I’d a choice between Sven and Mark Hughes, I know who I’d go for.”

Eriksson waits for Thaksin to seal City deal

Daniel Taylor

Thursday June 21, 2007

The Guardian

Thaksin Shinawatra's lawyers were last night putting the finishing touches to the takeover bid for Manchester City that will see Sven-Goran Eriksson offered the chance to resurrect his career.

While Eriksson was mulling over whether to accept the opportunity to return to English football, Thaksin and his London-based representatives were preparing their formal takeover offer. The former Thai prime minister has provided evidence to City that he has the funds in place and the club have been led to believe that his position has not changed despite another £310m of his personal fortune being frozen yesterday.

An anti-corruption committee investigating his time in the Thai government has now frozen around £1.3bn worth of his money, as well as ordering him to return to his homeland to answer changes of concealing money. However, Thaksin is understood to have around the same amount in European accounts. City have not been deterred by Thaksin's past and the process of accepting the takeover bid and concluding all the legalities is not expected to take long.

If everything goes according to plan, Thaksin and his representatives hope to be able to announce the appointment of Eriksson simultaneously. Keith Harris, the former Football League chairman, has taken on the role of Thaksin's chief head-hunter and, despite a strong denial last night from Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, there was confirmation from the Thai's officials that there had been two meetings in London over the last five days.

Eriksson, out of work since leaving the England's coach job after the World Cup, is the favourite for the job - his discussions with Harris are said to have progressed encouragingly - and the bookmakers last night slashed the odds on him succeeding Stuart Pearce from 5-1 to 6-4. A poll on the Manchester Evening News website had 71% backing his appointment.

Article Ends

I'm not alone I know, but I find the fact that whoever these headhunters are that want Thaksin despite his track-record extremely dusturbing. Even Liverpool with that utter scumbag Parry wouldn't touch him with a bargepole because of his human rights record. It'll be a sad day indeed (not to mention a highly risky one) if Thaksin is handed your Club despite everything known about him.

Cheers

even as a red this is a sad affair

just hope the missus doesn't start supporting City :o

The Manchester City board has accepted an £81.6million takeover bid by former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin has confirmed to the Stock Exchange his intention to take over the Eastlands club, a move unanimously backed by the City board.

The move will now be put to the club's shareholders.

Current City chairman John Wardle is to remain on the board under the new regime.

Announcing the takevoer deal, Wardle said: “Following our significant progress over the last few years, this offer provides an exciting opportunity to take Manchester City forward to the next stage of our development and to deliver the on-field success we’ve all been striving for.

“I’m delighted to have been asked to remain on the board together with our chief executive Alistair McIntosh. I’m equally pleased that the management team who have worked relentlessly during my time as chairman will also remain.”

Thaksin was also delighted to confirm his takeover of the club. He said: "

The move comes after the protracted takeover at City took another twist after Thai prosecutors filed corruption charges against the ousted Prime Minister.

These are the first formal charges lodged against the exiled former premier and involve allegations of wrongdoing in a land deal.

The Thai Supreme Court will decide on 10th July if they will hear the case.

Thaksin has been living overseas since he was overthrown in a military coup in September while he was abroad.

0,,2006400924,00.gif

By NEIL CUSTIS

June 22, 2007

ALEX FERGUSON has been told: Sven is coming to get you.

New Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra wants to unveil Sven Goran Eriksson as his manager next week.

And the Thai insisted: "We will take this club back up the league. We will market it to make it as big in Asia as Manchester United or Liverpool. And I'm dreaming of a trophy in my first season here."

Shinawatra promised former England chief Eriksson will get all the cash backing he needs to transform the club into serious rivals to Fergie's Red Devils.

Former Thai Premier Shinawatra vowed: "We will get new players if it takes £20million, £30m or £50m."

Shinawatra's £81.6m takeover yesterday cleared the Eastlands of £60m worth of debts and saw him secure 55.9 per cent of its shares.

He is aiming to eventually gain 75 per cent of the shares and put in an immediate £50m for players.

Shinawatra believes that City are now in an even better position than United who are saddled with debts of around £500m following the unpopular takeover by the Glazer family in June 2005.

Shinawatra said: "In business if you have too much debt, you have to fund it with the operating income.

"That is not good for a club. To rid yourself of the debt is much better."

On Wednesday Swede Eriksson's agent Athole Still described claims of a meeting between Shinawatra or any of his advisors with the former England boss as 'nonsense'.

Yet last night Shinawatra said: "I met him last week.

"He has a good reputation and is capable.

"Nobody is perfect. But as long as the new manager can do the job, likes it and is fit for it — and my advisors say he is the man — then I will support him."

Eriksson, 59, has been out of football since leaving the England job after Germany 2006.

Edited by colino

to all you cithai fans :D

it's rumoured that thaksin has already been found guilty of corruption, his punishment was either 5 years in a thai jail or 3 years at man cithai :o

it is 4-5 on that cithai will sign a chinese player soon either how long since or wee won won :D:D

His overseas assets are now under investigation by the Thai govt, as no one apparently knew that he had any overseas accounts. Which comes as a bit of a suprise as every corporate crook in living memory has off-shore bank accounts (if that's what they are). At least everyone else seems to have guessed as much.

From skysports:-

Thais to investigate City deal

Thai authorities are to examine the funds Thaksin Shinawatra is using to buy Manchester City.

The former Thailand Prime Minister has agreed an £81.6million deal to buy City even though concerns have been raised about the takeover.

Earlier this month Shinawatra's bank accounts in Thailand were frozen following an investigation into corruption, and the powers-that-be in his homeland are now keen to learn the source of the money he will draw on.

Shinawatra was required by law to declare all his assets during his time as Prime Minister, and none of the declarations disclosed any foreign assets.

Thai Finance Minister Chalongphob Sussangkarn admits he is mystified by Thaksin's latest venture, but has promised to uncover the truth.

"This money which would be used for Manchester City is still a mystery to Thailand, so I cannot tell where the money will be coming from," he said on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum on East Asia conference in Singapore.

"I am sure the Asset Examination Commission will look at the source of these funds and try to see whether they are legal funds that were taken out or by other means.

"If the deal goes ahead and the money is paid they will try to look at it.

"We don't know yet how he is going to finance it. We won't know until the deal is finalised."

City close on Eriksson

The man brokering Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover of Manchester City believes there is a 'fair chance' that Sven Goran Eriksson will be installed as the club's new manager.

The former England boss will reportedly fly into the country on Monday to hold a final round of talks, and could theoretically be confirmed in the role in the coming hours.

Keith Harris, the intermediary for the former Thai prime minister's £81.6million takeover, believes the Swede could well take the job - even if City are still talking to other candidates.

"There is a fair chance that Eriksson will take the job and the important thing is that Eriksson is highly respected by England's players," Harris told the BBC.

"They all hold him in high regard. Manchester City's academy has been successful in bringing through young England players, so it would knit well in that respect.

"Manchester City want to attract a high-quality manager who can in turn attract high quality players.

"Sven Goran Eriksson is on the list of candidates but we don't know if he will accept, so it behoves anyone to think of alternatives.

"The good news is the alternatives have not been in the gush of publicity and there are talks going on with those others as well.

"But the important thing is that a good-quality manager is chosen and that a manager who wants the job takes it in the next couple of days."

Shinawatra's takeover has been shrouded in controversy as the former Thai prime minister has had his assets frozen by the country's new regime and been ordered home to face criminal charges.

Fears have been raised that the financial sanctions could have an adverse impact on Shinawatra's bid to buy City, but Harris is confident the takeover will go through in the next three weeks.

"A number of his bank accounts have been frozen. Some of them are personal and some corporate," Harris added.

"But the money used to finance the takeover and used to invest in the club are in bank accounts in England and beyond their (the Thai government's) reach.

"An offer document for the takeover bid will come out in the next couple of days.

"The takeover could be completed three days after that, or as long as 21 days after that

Another from Skysports:-

Warnock: I'd do better than Sven

Neil Warnock claims he would be a better choice than Sven Goran Eriksson to be Manchester City's new manager.

Eriksson is tipped to be Stuart Pearce's successor at the City of Manchester Stadium once Thaksin Shinawatra completes his takeover of the club.

There has been a mixed reaction to the impending appointment of the former England coach, who boasts a club CV few can match.

But Warnock, who left relegated Sheffield United at the end of last season, feels he would be capable of performing a better job at City than the Swede.

"That's a little bit of a pointed question - the answer's yes," Warnock told Sky Sports News when asked if he would do better than Eriksson.

Warnock also feels the increasing number of foreign owners in the Premier League counts against him when it comes to securing another top-flight position.

He added: "Unfortunately, it's got to be someone who runs or owns a club who wants that type of manager.

"I'm sure, somewhere, there will be one."

Though Warnock is keen to manage in the Premier League again, he admits he would be willing to accept a job in any division in order to return to the game.

"As long as there is a club, I'm not bothered where it is or what division it is," continued Warnock.

"It's just a challenge that I want to get a club back up."

I say, well <deleted> off Eriksson, we don't want you anyway :o

Eriksson considers other offers

Roland Andersson, tipped to become Sven Goran Eriksson's new assistant, claims the Swede has more offers than just Manchester City.

Eriksson is the favourite to take on the City job after holding talks with the club's prospective new owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

The former England coach has asked Andersson, who is Sweden's assistant manager, to become his No.2 in the event of him taking over City.

But Andersson also revealed that Eriksson has not yet decided on the Eastlands post as there is interest from other clubs.

"He has to make a decision regarding the job at Manchester City and he has more jobs (offers) than that," said Andersson in the Guardian.

"We have been in contact over the past couple of days. It is correct that we spoke about a potential job for me at Manchester City.

"But for us to take that further, Sven first has to decide whether he is going to take the job or not."

Regarding when Eriksson would be in a position to make a decision, Andersson added: "I don't know.

"We will have to wait and see whether he takes the job, but I am flattered that he considers me good enough to come with him and do a good job for him."

The Swedish Football Association has confirmed that Andersson would not be prevented from linking up with Eriksson.

FA chairman Lars-Ake Lagrell said: "If he wants to go there is nothing we can do to stop him.

"We can't have a coach here who is not happy with his situation

Good news, me thinks :o

City starlet signs new deal

Manchester City have secured young defender Nedum Onuoha to a new four-year deal.

Onuoha performed with distinction during the recent European Under 21 Championship for England, and upon his return has chosen to commit his long-term future to the club that handed him his chance in professional football.

The 20-year-old joined City as a schoolboy a decade ago, and is keen to continue his upwards curve at Eastlands over the coming years.

"I'm delighted that the contract is all sorted out now, I just want to get back to working hard and playing well when pre-season training starts again next week," Onuoha told the club's official website.

"I like to think that I have been improving game-on-game and season-on-season recently, when I compare myself from now to two years ago I think there is a massive difference in my performances."

Onuoha showed great maturity during the youth tournament as he rose above racist abuse in the game against Serbia to perform a key role for former City boss Stuart Pearce.

Following Onuoha's return from Holland, club chief executive Alistair Mackintosh was delighted to extend the contract of the highly-rated defender.

"We opened talks with Nedum a couple of months ago and naturally had to wait until the Under 21s tournament was over before the deal could be concluded," said Mackintosh.

"Nedum's contract extension re-affirms Manchester City's commitment to having a first-team squad with the very best young, home-grown, talent and securing their long-term futures at the football club."

The City starlet was forced off during England's semi-final defeat to eventual winners Holland, but Onuoha insists he will be ready for the start of next season.

"I just have a slight groin tear," Onuoha added. "I think it's only a two-week injury but I should be back in training next week.

"I may have had my own separate regime when I was going back to Carrington anyway, because my last game with England was only two weeks before pre-season resumed

Benayoun still waiting

Yossi Benayoun is still hoping he can secure a move to Liverpool.

The West Ham midfielder has agreed a new deal with the club, but Liverpool have mounted a bid for his services.

Because of Liverpool's interest, Benayoun's new contract remains unsigned.

The player's agent Ronen Katzav admits that Benayoun's future is still not decided.

"We are still waiting," Katzav told skysports.com.

"The deal is still in place with West Ham. We are waiting to see if the two clubs can come to an agreement.

"I am not going to say Yossi is desperate for a move at all, but it is only natural - any player in the world would be attracted by Liverpool."

Reports have also suggested that Sven Goran Eriksson could make a move for Benayoun, if he takes charge at Manchester City.

The West Ham midfielder has agreed a new deal with the club, but Liverpool have mounted a bid for his services.

The most likely scenario will be Benayoun to Liverpool with Bellamy (gawd 'elp us) coming the other way.

BTW

Just heard that Sven has taken the job @ £3mill per season. Hmm. Let's see that's £5.71 per minute Nice work if you can get it :o

Edited by Happy Hammer

The most likely scenario will be Benayoun to Liverpool with Bellamy (gawd 'elp us) coming the other way.

BTW

Just heard that Sven has taken the job @ £3mill per season. Hmm. Let's see that's £5.71 per minute Nice work if you can get it :D

Bellamy? I'd rather have David Bellamy but we've had a few from the awkward squad before Paulo, Carlos, Julian who have been a success but others like Don Hutchinson, Lee Bowyer (so far) and further back David Speedie who turned out to be something not quite there. As this is a MCFC site good luck but expect a hands on, hands in and his face to be everywhere, chairman. I agree with you HH nice work if you can get it, indeed. That's a lot of baht or Bath as I once saw it written up on Chiang Mai the Immigration office window. Perhaps it it is bath, ie the money is laundered. :o

That's a lot of baht or Bath as I once saw it written up on Chiang Mai the Immigration office window. Perhaps it it is bath, ie the money is laundered. :D

:D:D

Allegedly Keddy, allegedly. Why is it only Man City, that this sort of drama happens to :o

My old man must have known how miserable my life was going to be, when he took me to my first game as a nipper :D

Bellamy? I'd rather have David Bellamy but we've had a few from the awkward squad before Paulo, Carlos, Julian who have been a success but others like Don Hutchinson, Lee Bowyer (so far) and further back David Speedie who turned out to be something not quite there.

To be honest the only one that had a proven track record of being very naughty on the pitch in that list was PDC, but Harry had a knack.

Then of course there was Super Tom. I wonder where David Cross would fit into that list ?

Thank gawd that we never got Barton. :o

The full story from the BBC:-

Eriksson set to take Man City job

Sven-Goran Eriksson will return to football at Manchester City

Sven-Goran Eriksson has agreed a three-year contract in principle to take over as Manchester City manager.

BBC Sport understands there are some fine details still to be ironed out, and there is unlikely to be an official announcement before the weekend.

The 59-year-old former England coach will succeed Stuart Pearce, who was sacked at the end of last season.

Eriksson has been out of football since leaving the England job after the World Cup in summer 2006.

City's players report back for training on Wednesday week, and club officials are confident Eriksson will be in place by then.

Eriksson is not expected to be formally unveiled until City's prospective new owner, former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shiniwatra, takes his shareholding in the club past the 75% that will allow him to take it off the Stock Exchange.

Thaksin currently has 55.9% in promised pledges, and is likely to increase that to 65.8% if, as expected, he acquires Sky's shares within the next 48 hours.

He made Eriksson his top managerial target and is understood to have made a £50m transfer fund available.

City attempted to play down suggestions that an announcement on Eriksson's arrival was imminent.

A statement on the club website said: "The board notes the media speculation concerning the managerial position at the club.

"Earlier today (Tuesday), UK Sports Investments Limited announced that the offer document in respect of its offer for the club was posted to shareholders.

"Discussions are on-going with managerial candidates and once the offer becomes or is declared unconditional in all respects, the club expects to announce the appointment of a new manager."

Eriksson has already sounded out Roland Andersson about becoming his assistant at Eastlands.

Currently Sweden's assistant coach, Andersson said he was "flattered" to be offered the role

Taylor: Sven's 'brave or daft'

Graham Taylor has spoken of how he believes that Sven Goran Eriksson is on a 'nice little earner' at Manchester City, while at the same time warning the former England coach that making the transition back to club management is not easy.

It has been widely reported that Eriksson has concurred on personal terms at City that will net him in the region of £7.5million over three years and Taylor, another ex-England incumbent, accepts such a financial package would be difficult to resist.

Taylor, who during his own spell at the helm of the national side endured similar vilification to that which Eriksson had to put up with, believes the Swede is either 'brave or daft' in agreeing to take charge at Eastlands.

"Even if it goes wrong, he is on a nice little earner for three years," Taylor told the Daily Telegraph.

"Eriksson is no fool and, having sat on an astronomical weekly compensation salary from the Football Association since his exit from the England job a year ago, he has bided his time until a club with money to spend on himself and players has come along.

"The problem with Manchester City is that, irrespective of who the manager is, they continually shoot themselves in the foot.

"Being a City supporter just cannot be good for your health. (your telling me) Like Newcastle fans, they deserve more than they have been given over the years.

"So Sven, I think you are either brave or daft. Whether you are one or both, you are not going to be short of cash, but I hope that is not the main reason you decided to go for the job."

Having experienced first-hand the difficulties of leaving the international arena to return to the domestic game, Taylor hopes Eriksson has not underestimated the extent of the task.

"It could easily take the same time to grow back into club football, renewing those day-to-day contacts which went cold at international level

Also from Skysports:-

Eriksson 'out to defy critics'

David Davies does not think money is as important to Sven Goran Eriksson as the desire to prove his critics wrong.

Eriksson had a lucrative contract as England manager and earlier this week agreed a deal with Manchester City that will see him earn in the region of £7.5million over three years.

Graham Taylor believes Eriksson is on 'a nice little earner' at Man City and reckons he must be either 'brave or daft' to take the job.

But former Football Association executive director Davies does not think Eriksson deserves a bad reputation.

"As I understand it, it isn't necessarily the best-paid option," he said.

"He would like to prove something to those people who have been quite cruel over the past year."

Davies feels Eriksson's record speaks for itself but accepts that the Swede would have been disappointed by England's World Cup campaign last summer.

"He's been a success wherever he's been," said Davies.

"It's the main reason he was hired by the FA, by England in the first place. And that record is recognised all over the world.

"Having said that, what happened last year was a huge disappointment in the World Cup. He felt that more than anyone.

"The impact of that cruel disappointment was felt by the players, was felt by the staff, was felt by everyone around the team, was felt of course by the fans.

"But he himself, Sven Eriksson, felt it in a huge way."

This is a pity, as i would have loved to have had Freddie.

From the BBC:-

Ljungberg wants to stay a Gunner

Freddie Ljungberg wants to stay at Arsenal for the rest of his career and has dismissed speculation linking him with a move away from the Emirates.

Midfielder Ljungberg, 30, is said to have been interesting Manchester City, with West Ham and Portsmouth also keen.

But his agent Claes Elefalk told BBC Sport: "Freddie wants to stay at Arsenal until he stops playing and there is a good chance that'll happen.

"This is just speculation. Freddie is most certainly not leaving Arsenal."

Sweden international Ljungberg endured an injury-hit season last time around, making just 26 appearances for the Gunners.

But in January, boss Arsene Wenger said he wanted to keep Ljungberg and Elefalk says the player is used to his name being linked with other clubs.

Elefalk added: "Freddie has a contract with the club that goes until 2009 and he has no thoughts at all of leaving the team.

"There has not been any contact with any other club, it is nonsense to suggest otherwise.

"All this is is just normal, traditional transfer rumours that for players of Freddie's calibre occurs each transfer window and has done so for the last four years.

"Football is football, but Freddie wants to and will stay at Arsenal and that is what we are dealing in."

The Gunners are preparing for life without Thierry Henry after his £16.1m move to Barcelona, but Ljungberg believes the future is bright for the club.

"Freddie is very confident about what the future holds at Arsenal, despite Thierry leaving," said Elefalk.

"He is very confident in the team and the club and in Mr Wenger, so it is a very good situation to be in.

Well peeps, we have reached a milestone of 1,000 posts in this thread. Quite an achievement for a small club :o:D

Thaksin edges closer

Thaksin Shinawatra is edging closer to completing a takeover at Manchester City having purchased a further 9.88 per cent stake in the club.

The former Thai Prime Minister now has a 65.78 per cent interest in City and needs to reach the 75 per cent mark before he can de-list the company and take them into private ownership.

It is believed that this latest lot of shares have been purchased from broadcasting group Sky, who are now the only major shareholder remaining.

Thaksin had already acquired a 55.9 per cent stake after being backed by board members and former chairman Francis Lee.

With City currently without a manager, and Sven Eriksson poised to take over pending Thaksin's takeover, everyone connected to the club will be hoping matters are concluded quickly.