Manchester City

mrbojangles

From skysports

Bojinov thanks Eriksson

Valeri Bojinov has thanked Sven Goran Eriksson for taking him to Manchester City.

The Bulgarian is putting the finishing touches to his £7.5million switch from Fiorentina to The City of Manchester Stadium.

City completed deals for Javi Garrido, Vedran Corluka and Elano on Thursday, but with seven new faces signed - Eriksson is far from done and Bojinov is set to join the influx.

"I would like to thank Mr Eriksson for giving me the possibility of this transfer," Bojinov told La Repubblica.

"I have spent eight years in Italy but now is the right time for me to change country."

Bojinov is set to be confirmed as another new City signing over the coming days.

Bojinov is already believed to have agreed terms on a four-year contract with City

From skysports

Garrido checks in at City

Spanish ace Javi Garrido has passed his medical with Manchester City.

Skysports.com revealed on Wednesday that City had moved for Garrido and now the Real Sociedad defender is set to pen a four-year deal at The City of Manchester Stadium.

City struck a deal, which could be worth up to £2million, with Sociedad earlier this week.

Real boss Chris Coleman was loath to let Garrido go as he rates him very highly, but he admitted he could not stand in the player's way.

The 22-year-old has admitted that the chance to play in England was too good an opportunity to turn down.

"A chance to play in the Premier League does not come every day and it is very difficult to reject," Garrido told the Spanish press.

A busy day for city on skysports:-

Corluka happy with City move

Dream come true for Corluka

Vedran Corluka admits it is 'a dream come true' to clinch a move to the Premier League with Manchester City.

The defender could have played UEFA Champions League football with Dinamo Zagreb this season, but has opted for a switch to City.

He has joined for an undisclosed fee, believed to be in the region of £8million, and is one of three new signings for Sven Goran Eriksson on Thursday.

Though he accepts he could have played in Europe's elite club competition with Dinamo, he feels the Premier League offers a comparable standard

"It has all happened very quickly," he told the club's official website.

"I was preparing to play for Dinamo in the Champions League, but since then things have happened very fast and I'm very happy to be here.

"Every boy in Croatia dreams of playing in the Premier League and my dream has come true.

"Dinamo Zagreb are a great club, but I have come to a really big club in Manchester City.

"I think the Premier League is in some ways better than the Champions League at times."

From city's web site:-

Ricky Hatton dropping in at Saturday's ONE CITY event

Ricky Hatton will be dropping in at this Saturday's ONE CITY street party, to be held in Manchester's Albert Square following the end of City's friendly against Valencia.

The world light-welterweight champion and devout City fan said: "I can't wait for the new season to start and Saturday night is going to be a great way to kick off the new era."

New City Chairman Dr Thaksin Shinawatra is inviting people from all over the city to the free concert, which is being staged after the Thomas Cook Trophy match, and there will be some free transport available to take supporters from the stadium to the event once the game has finished.

Mai Charoenpura, one of Thailand’s most popular entertainers, will be singing live at the event, part of the ONE CITY initiative – MCFC’s commitment to celebrating the cultures and diversity of our city.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, several of the Blues’ first team squad and other special guests will drop in, delicious FREE Thai food will be cooked up on the spot and drinks will also be available.

The evening follows in the footsteps of previous ONE CITY events, which have celebrated and embraced Manchester’s cultures and diversity.The event kicks off at 6.00pm, following the end of the Thomas Cook Trophy match against Valencia, and will finish at approximately 8.30pm.

A limited number of shuttle buses will be available to take supporters from the Stadium to Albert Square, after the end of the game against Valencia. The buses will be available on Ashton New Road, outside the Stadium main gate (by the Visitor Centre) from 5pm. Buses will then return to the Stadium once the event has closed at around 9pm

So after a busy week, here are the transfer "in's" and "out's" during the closed season:-

IN: Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk, £8m), Vedran Corluka (Dinamo Zagreb, £4m), Javier Garrido (Real Sociedad, £1.5m), Geovanni (Cruzeiro, free), Rolando Bianchi (Reggina, £8.8m), Gelson Fernandes (FC Sion, undisclosed), Martin Petrov (Atletico Madrid, £4.7m)

OUT: Joey Barton (Newcastle, £5.8m), Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth, free), Trevor Sinclair (Cardiff, free), Nicky Weaver (Charlton, free), Stephen Jordan (Burnley, free), Hatem Trabelsi (released)

Tots, where have you been mate?

Yeah where you been Tots? You don't seem to have been around much since the close of last season. Same same with JackNDanny.

I tend to agree about SGE.

Seconded :o

I can't wait for him to prove the critics wrong but we might have to wait a while.

Ive just got back from Vietnam/Thailand and the only thing that is keeping my spirits up is this great news .Just see now MCFC.CO.UK are reporting we have signed Valeri Bojinov ,happy days this guy is just superb!!!

see the press are now are naming sven,,,spend goran ericson :o:D

also he was asked by italian news crew,to welcome one of his new signings at a press confrence,,,, he should of asked him what does it feal like to be joining man city'

what he actually said was

so what does it feal like to sign for manchester united :D:D:bah::bah:

you could not make it up, even sven knows manchester is red.

good luck for the season lads. :D

Edited by nev

Good luck from me also you Blues.. Whatever happens I don't think life will be dull at City this season. :o

Interesting article in "The Times" that touches on Nev's comments...

New signings? I’ve only seen them on video, says Eriksson

Oliver Kay

Sven-Göran Eriksson suffered an embarrassing slip of the tongue yesterday when, live on television, he welcomed one of his new players to “Manchester United”, but the greater long-term issue for Manchester City supporters surrounds his £38 million outlay on eight players - many of whom, he admitted, he has not seen play.

Out of work for 12 months after last summer’s World Cup finals in Germany, the former England head coach said that he did not attend many matches last season and, having been appointed manager at City in early July, after the takeover by Thaksin Shinawatra, he feels that he had little choice but to base his recruitment drive on video evidence offered by trusted advisers, chief among them Pini Zahavi, the Israeli “super-agent”.

Zahavi has been involved not only in brokering the deals, but, in many cases, in identifying the players concerned, such as Vedran Corluka and Elano Blumer, who should be among the new faces appearing in today’s final warm-up match against Valencia at the City of Manchester Stadium. It represents a high-risk strategy on the part of Eriksson, but he claimed that he had no alternative, given the urgent need to strengthen his squad and the nature of the domestic transfer market, in which he quickly discovered that the handful of English players he desired were off-limits.

“Most of the new players I have never seen in action live,” Eriksson said yesterday after introducing Corluka, Javier Garrido, Elano and Valeri Bojinov, the Bulgaria forward, who has joined from Fiorentina for £5.5 million. “It’s just not possible because the season has not even started. But I have seen videos of them and I have checked them out with friends who have seen them play. A lot of them the club scouts had seen before. I saw a lot of football during my break, but I saw less live football than I did in the previous five years, much less. I sat at home and watched four or five games during the week, though. I came to Manchester City very late and it came very quickly two months ago. That was the first time anyone spoke to me about City, so I can’t say that I had in my mind which kind of players would be suitable. I had to work quickly and find what we thought were the right players.

“If you try to go for the best players, such as the players in the England squad, it’s very difficult to get them. I tried for four, and two of the clubs would not even discuss a price to sell. The other ones were very expensive.”

Bojinov, having completed his move from Fiorentina subject to a work permit, was being introduced to the media at City’s training ground yesterday when Eriksson, acting as interpreter, asked the young striker what excited him about “playing for Manchester United”. The Swede blushed, saying “oops”, to the apparent amusement of some of his new signings.

City’s outlay on eight players with no experience of English football — Rolando Bianchi, Gelson Fernandes, Martin Petrov, Garrido, Geovanni, Corluka, Elano and Bojinov — has attracted excitement and criticism in almost equal measure, but Eriksson insists that the only gamble concerns the number of new arrivals, rather than their nationality.

“I don’t think the strategy of buying foreign players is a risk,” he said. “Maybe so many players at once is a risk. But if we want to do well, I can’t see an alternative. If we have ambitions to go up the table, something had to be done.”

Having spent heavily, though, Eriksson admitted that he will be under pressure when his team kick off their Barclays Premier League campaign away to West Ham United a week to-day. “Pressure is always important and, for as long as I have been in football, there has always been pressure,” he said. “That’s what you want. The more the pressure, the better it is.”

THAI FEVER HITS CITY

Thaksin throws huge party for his team's fans, despite 1-0 loss

Published on August 6, 2007

Thaksin Shinawatra made his presence felt by throwing a big Thai-theme party at the Albert Square here following Manchester City's final pre-season friendly match against Valencia.

It was an appearance to introduce himself as a new force in British football.

Undaunted by the 0-1 loss to the Spaniards, manager Sven-Goran Eriksson and the players joined thousands at Saturday night's One City party.

It featured Frank Sinatra-tribute singer Cole Page. Thaksin has been dubbed Sinatra because of the similarity of their family names.

This is one of several video clips of Thaksin on stage from our special corrsespondent's blog. Visit her blog to watch more.

Tim Oscroft of the club's official web site wrote that more than 5,000 people enjoyed free Thai food.

Thaksin and Eriksson spoke and the club's new signings were introduced.

Fans chanted "Blue Moon", the 1934 Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart ballad adopted by fans in the 1980s, to welcome their new owner.

Fans have high hopes Thaksin is willing to pay big money to rescue the club.

Thousands came to celebrate despite the Thomas Cook Trophy loss. "We lost today but it was a good match. Overall we are satisfied with the new players. As long as we can beat Man U, it's okay," one City fan said.

Thai restaurants from Manchester and London catered the event and partygoers queued for between 30 minutes and 45 minutes to be fed.

On the menu were chicken red curry, fried spicy chicken, prawn fried rice, fried noodles, barbecued chicken and duck and sticky rice with papaya salad.

There was plenty of fruit.

The show started at 6pm. Suttipong "Heart" Tadpitakkul was master of ceremonies and the evening commenced with His Majesty the King's anthem. Dancers and singers including the now-controversial Lydia, Saowalak "Am" Leelabutr and Mai Charoenpura.

To the strains of "It's Now or Never" Thaksin appeared with team members and Eriksson and British boxing sensation and City fan Ricky "Hitman" Hatton.

Thaksin thanked fans for their support and said he hoped to become a part of the Manchester community.

"We are pleased with the new owner. It's what we really need right now," said one.

Fans called for a top-10 finish to the season and Thaksin was encouraged to join in a chorus of "Blue Moon".

"Hey, we look on the sunny side. There are not many clubs that can get money to buy big players. We should be better this year," another fan said.

Thai expatriates joined in the fun and some wore shirts proclaiming they "Miss Thaksin".

Special Correspondent

MANCHESTER

The Nation

Tots or Jockstar.

Could you merge this thread with the man city thread please. I went to the party on saturday and will be posting some piccies ( i was about 10 feet away from Thaksin). I don't think we need 2 City threads going.......even though we are a massive club :o:D

Tots or Jockstar.

Could you merge this thread with the man city thread please. I went to the party on saturday and will be posting some piccies ( i was about 10 feet away from Thaksin). I don't think we need 2 City threads going.......even though we are a massive club :o:D

Done! :D

Tots or Jockstar.

Could you merge this thread with the man city thread please. I went to the party on saturday and will be posting some piccies ( i was about 10 feet away from Thaksin). I don't think we need 2 City threads going.......even though we are a massive club :D:D

Done! :D

Oh, your'e getting the hang of it now aint you buddy :o

From the BBC:-

Man City hit by Isaksson injury

Manchester City are set to bring in another keeper after discovering that first-choice Andreas Isaksson is likely to miss the first month of the season.

The Swede has a hairline fracture of a thumb and, with Joe Hart, 20, also injured, it leaves inexperienced Kasper Schmeichel, 20, in the frame.

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson told the club website: "Joe should be back training on Tuesday or Wednesday.

"It is more or less a must that we must bring in another keeper."

The former England manager added: "It is not the best way to start the Premier League, starting with two very young goalkeepers."

Isaksson, who missed Saturday's friendly with Valencia because of the injury, may also be sidelined for Sweden's Euro 2008 qualifier with Denmark on 8 September.

Meanwhile, Hearts revealed last week that they were interested in Schmeichel, who was on loan at Falkirk last season

From skysports:-

Sven: No excuses

Eriksson confident

Sven Goran Eriksson says he will have no excuses for failing to transform Manchester City's fortunes.

The former England boss has been handed the task of re-shaping the Eastlands outfit following a below-par campaign under Stuart Pearce.

Eriksson has been handed almost £50million by new owner Thaksin Shinawatra and the Swede will not be ducking for cover should his buys fail to shine.

"I won't be looking for any excuses," Eriksson is quoted in the Daily Mirror.

"We have to do better than last season and I'm quite confident we will do."

Eriksson has urged fans to be patient to allow his imports to gel and adapt to English football.

"The fans will be patient if they see we can play good football," he continued.

"If you know football, you know things will not happen overnight when you've bought at least eight new players

From skysports:-

Richards: Fresh start a must

Micah Richards believes Manchester City needed a fresh start following a desperately disappointing 2006/07 Premier League season.

The Eastlands side finished four points clear of the drop zone last term under Stuart Pearce, although the side managed only 29 goals - including just two at home this year.

City have now brought in former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson and Richards believes there are exciting times ahead under new owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

Eriksson has been busy in the transfer market bringing in no less than eight foreign stars and Richards thinks a top ten finish is not beyond the realms of fantasy.

"We need a fresh start and to get a winning mentality in the side so we can really push on and have an enjoyable season," Richards stated.

"We want to have a real go at it. We've got a new manager, new players and staff and new ideas.

"It's a really exciting period for everyone connected with the club. We took a lot of stick last season.

"Sven's got the money and he's certainly got the knowledge - it's all about fighting the right blend now.

"With the new squad members and management in place, there's no reason why we can't finish in the top ten or eight."

What do you think about this then boys. Just in from the BBC, i'll try and find out some more:-

City to sell Mills, Dabo & Dickov

Manchester City are set to listen to offers for Danny Mills, Ousmane Dabo and Paul Dickov.

City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has signed eight players since taking over in July and several squad members have become surplus to requirements.

Defender Mills, 30, midfielder Dabo, 30 and striker Dickov, 34, could all be set to leave Eastlands.

BBC Five Live understands Georgios Samaras, Darius Vassell, Ishmael Miller and Kasper Schmeichel may also leave.

Eriksson has added Geovanni, Rolando Bianchi, Gelson Fernandes, Martin Petrov, Javier Garrido, Vedran Corluka, Elano and Valeri Bojinov to his options at the club in his first month in charge.

Joey Barton, Sylvain Distin, Nicky Weaver, Trevor Sinclair, Hatem Trabelsi and Stephen Jordan have left the club in the close season.

City are reported to be closing in on a £4m deal for Palermo's Australian winger Mark Bresciano.

Boss Eriksson is also keen to sign a keeper after injury to Andreas Isaksson, with Liverpool's Scott Carson and Lazio's Marco Amelia said to be interesting the Swede.

More from skysports:-

City transfer list trio

Manchester City have revealed they have made Ousmane Dabo, Danny Mills and Paul Dickov available for transfer.

The trio struggled to secure regular first-team football last season and, following the arrival of new manager Sven Goran Eriksson, City have admitted they are ready to listen to offers.

Eriksson has spent big since his arrival at the City of Manchester Stadium and has brought in a number of new signings, which has deemed Dabo, Mills and Dickov surplus to requirements.

French midfielder Dabo is perhaps best known for his training ground bust up with former city player Joey Barton, while Mills enjoyed a successful time at Leeds before moving to Manchester in 2004.

Dickov is currently in his second spell at City having previously played for the club between 1996 and 2002.

The Scottish striker, who has 10 international caps, then had stints at Blackburn and Leicester before returning to City in 2006

Just don't send any of them our way please !!!!

Gonna be a job for you guys recognising all the new faces, I remeber when Kenny Dalgliesh got his management job at Liverpool and told the team that they were gonna be a lot of new faces at Liverpool....Peter Beardsley asked if he could have one!!

Good Luck for the forthcoming season to all City supporters.

You deserve a better season than the one they gave you last year.

Gonna be a job for you guys recognising all the new faces, I remeber when Kenny Dalgliesh got his management job at Liverpool and told the team that they were gonna be a lot of new faces at Liverpool....Peter Beardsley asked if he could have one!!

Nice one :o

You deserve a better season than the one they gave you last year.

When was the last decent top flight season we had, i know it was the one we came 2nd to Liverpool, i went to all the home games, reckon it was '72 (?), we had Dave Watson and Mike Doyle and Booky was manager - what was that season?

When was the last decent top flight season we had, i know it was the one we came 2nd to Liverpool, i went to all the home games, reckon it was '72 (?), we had Dave Watson and Mike Doyle and Booky was manager - what was that season?

It was a lot later than i thought, it was 1976-77.

It was a lot later than i thought, it was 1976-77.

joe corrigan kenny clements willie donachie mike doyle tommy booth dave watson paul power gary owen peter barnes brain kidd joe royle asa hartford denis tueart ged keegan ? conway tony henry - not a bad squad - c/o http://www.mcfcstats.co.uk/

City deal for Bresciano stalls

Palermo have told midfielder Mark Bresciano to return to the club as his move to Manchester City looks set to collapse.

The Italians had agreed terms over the Australian international - who looked se to become Sven Goran Eriksson's ninth signing of the summer at a coast of just over £5million.

However, Palermo have now stated that City have changed their stance and that they are not willing to accept the new terms.

"City are not respecting the initial terms of our agreement," explained Palermo's director of sport Rino Foschi.

"The economic plan they proposed today is not the same we had dictated and if the club does not make a step backwards before this evening [Tuesday] is over, I will no longer give my blessing to the transfer. We are not willing to wait any longer. Rules must be respected.

"Manchester City really want Bresciano, but the more time goes on, the more convinced I am nothing will come of it.

"These are not the right conditions to reach an agreement, even if we tried to make the player happy. It's difficult to see another ending to this, so the player should meet us at training from Wednesday."

Foschi insisted there were no problems with keeping Bresciano at the club.

"Bresciano had asked us a while back for this experience in England, but he is nonetheless content at Palermo and is more ready than ever to work with Coach Stefano Colantuono, even if he may be a little bitter," he continued.

"Bresciano should be grateful to the club, because they gave him the opportunity to follow this dream. It was not our fault it didn't come true. I am sure Mark will work hard like the professional he is."

Edited by mrbojangles

Whichever moron allowed Weaver to move on should be shot! Prefer him to the Swede as well.

Hi Bred,

Totally agree with your sentiments there and to be honest what i have seen thus far of isakson(or however the hel_l you spell his name)i have not been overly impressed and i think Nicky was very unlucky to lose his position.A decission now City may well rue....