Manchester City

mrbojangles

Only just noticed that I was too excited to look at the points!

Top of the dosh league too!! :o:D

God knows what i was thinking predicting 4-0 against derby, but hey! come on you spurs!

Edited by markr

From city's website:-

Sven hails battling Blues

Sven-Goran Eriksson has hailed his battling Blues side after the held out for a memorable derby win.

Geovanni’s first half strike was the only goal of the game, so it was a brave rearguard effort from the whole team that saw City go top of the table with three wins, and still no goals conceded.

Sven said: “The team fought today, it was difficult to begin with but for a while in the first half we played really good football. We struggled in the second half but defensively we were absolutely fantastic, from the goalkeeper through the backline. The two centre halves were incredible.

“Defensively we did some great work, Bianchi came on and was running all over the place. I heard that Micah was man of the match, and you can’t argue with that.”

Of City’s flying start to the season, the Manager continued, “It’s good for the confidence, especially of the new players. There are so many new things in the club but we can only be happy with a start like this. From here we have to go on and be as good as we can be.

“We thought it would be a counter-attacking game today rather than a normal derby, we thought Bojinov has a little more pace than Bianchi. He had done well in training, it was nothing to do with Bianchi not playing so well.”

The goal scorer came into the side for his first start after Stephen Ireland reported in sick this morning, and of the Brazilian’s second goal for the Blues Sven said:

“Maybe Stephen Ireland would have scored the goal, who knows? He was ill before the game so he had to drop out, but Geovanni is a fantastic player when he has the ball, he keeps it, passes well and has a very good shot.

“Technically he is a fantastic football player, I think that he, Elano and a few others are still not quite 100% yet. It’s good to know that they can do even better in the future.”

Valeri Bojinov was unlucky to see his City debut cut short after just six minutes when he landed awkwardly, and the boss confirmed that he is waiting to hear the extent of the Bulgarian’s injury.

“Bojinov is the only one we don’t really know about now, he has had a scan at the hospital but we don’t have the result as yet. The doctor thinks it is a ligament injury, but how bad we don’t know yet.”

And Sven was also delighted with the fantastic atmosphere throughout his first Manchester derby, saying:

“The fans were fantastic, with everyone singing ‘Blue Moon’ and waving the scarves before the game the whole stadium was blue and white, that was a great sight.”

From city's web site:-

Micah savours that winning feeling

Micah Richards has been describing just how it felt to be in the winning dressing room after City’s derby win on Sunday.

The 19-year-old had a magnificent game at the heart of the Blues’ defence in the 1-0 and picked up the man of the match award for his efforts.

City’s heroic resistance earned them a third straight win and saw them go top of the Barclays Premier League table, and speaking about the atmosphere afterwards Micah said:

“It was like we had won the Champions League final! It was great, and good to see a smile back on the lads’ faces after a disappointing season last season.

“With the two wins under our belts we had the confidence, and the gaffer just told us to go out and play like we had in previous games. Once you are out there and the whistle goes, the adrenalin starts pumping and it’s a nice feeling to be out on the pitch.”

And it’s not just the win that’s pleased Micah, who is in the England squad for Wednesday’s friendly against Germany.

“It’s none conceded as well! That’s a big thing for Dunnie and me after the game, we got the goal but to keep the clean sheet was as important as well. It’s nice to be back to winning ways, but now we definitely have the players to do it.

“It’s a good time to go away on an international break, but we have Arsenal next week and I don’t want to come back too tired if I start for England. I hope we can take Sunday’s game into next week as well.”

No one inside the City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday will forget the noise generated all afternoon, and Micah saluted the Blues’ supporters.

“The only other time I’ve heard it like that was against Arsenal last season, when we won 1-0, but today was extra special because it was the derby.”

It pains me to say it, but Richards was outstanding on Sunday, and he really looks like a serious candidste for McClowns starting eleven.

Mr BJ I am pretty sure that Sven will certainly get your side into the the top eight this year. They reminded me a little bit of England under Sven tactically though, the sort of team who will just get to a certain point and not be able to push on. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but they will certainly not be able to play that way for the rest of the season and get away with it. They never really offered much attacking wise after they scored although they did not need to, as we couldn't have scored in a Soi Cowboy go-go bar on sunday. However, I would imagine that they may well add to the squad before the close of the window and also in January, so the future is looking a lot more rosey.

I'd say that you certainly need a goalkeeper, I couldn't see how people were raving about Schmeichels performance, yes he made a couple of saves, but on a number of occassions he was very lucky to get away with some mistakes. He certainly at present doesn't have the commanding prescence of his father - mentally or physically, but hey he has still managed to keep 3 clean sheets.

It's good for North West football anyway to have Man City, Liverpool, Everton and Man Utd looking strong. :D:o

MrToad,

Thanks for your comments :D and I agree with almost everything you say. But what we are all forgetting is that this isn't the end product. Sven has said that this side is about building for the next 2 or 3 years. We had a team last year, that was very lucky to not get relegated and so he has had to almost start from scratch.

Most teams when they bring in one player say "he needs time to adjust" jeez, we have 8 who need time to adjust (and maybe more to come). So i think that even though they have only known each other for just over a week, overall they are battling and and upto now getting the result.

As for sunday, yes Micah just gets better every day. Anyone who can't see this lads natural ability is deluded. As for Scmeichel, i agree he isn't top class yet but at the moment we have no other choice to play him and i think he is doing a great job standing in. More importantly, our defence are doing a great job of protecting him as much as they can. Sven knows he's not there yet but a very bright future. Maybe a little early to say this but i think he could also claim English citizenship, can anyone confirm? If he can claim citizenship and he progresses like we hope, this could be a bonus for the england side. Just a thought for the future, maybe 4 or 5 years ahead.

As for the tactics on sunday, what people forget is that one of our key players (Bojinov) got badly injured (out for 5 months) :o after only 12 minutes. In a hastily put together team that is bound to have a great effect on the tactics. Believe me, we would have played differently had he still been on the park.

And yes, there is only one team letting the northwest sides down at the moment :D:D You'll gain momentum i have no doubt about that :D

• Like 1

More on th Bojinov injury from the BBC:-

Man City rocked by Bojinov injury

Manchester City striker Valeri Bojinov will be out for at least five months after suffering a knee ligament injury.

The 21-year-old made his first start for City in the Manchester derby on Sunday but had to be replaced after just six minutes.

A City statement said Bojinov sustained damage to the lateral and anterior cruciate ligaments of his left knee.

Bojinov signed a four-year contract with City on 3 August after leaving Fiorentina for a reported £6m.

He had made two other substitute appearances for Sven-Goran Erikkson's side before he was picked to start against United.

Here you go MrToad, more about our hunt for a keeper :o

From skysports:-

City in Amelia talks

Livorno have confirmed negotiations are underway with Manchester City for goalkeeper Marco Amelia.

Sven Goran Eriksson is in the market for a new keeper after losing his experienced No.1 Andreas Isaksson to injury.

In the Swede's absence, Kasper Schmeichel has kept three clean sheets for City and has earned the praise of Eriksson.

"Finding a keeper that is better than the ones I have is not easy," said Eriksson after Sunday's 1-0 win over Manchester United.

"Kasper is very good in training. He is quick and you don't find many keepers better than him on the line.

"He takes everything and he almost destroys the confidence of our strikers in shooting practice."

Amelia has been mooted as a City target in recent weeks, with Eriksson hinting he could sign more players from Serie A.

Lazio have expressed an interest in Amelia, but Livorno president Aldo Spinelli confirmed City are favourites to sign the keeper.

Spinelli told the Italian media: "The negotiations with the English club are open. By the 22nd August, Eriksson's scouts will arrive.

"There is nothing defined yet, but certianly Lazio moved for Amelia too late, and he is worth more than the 7.5million euros (£5million) offered by Lazio."

Miller targets City impact

Ishmael Miller insists his loan move to West Brom does not mean he has been rejected by Manchester City.

The young striker has headed to The Hawthorns on a season-long loan deal after recently signing a new three-year contract at City.

He marked his Baggies debut by making a swift impact from the bench on Saturday when scoring the second goal in the 2-0 win over Preston.

With Sven Goran Eriksson having made a wealth of changes since taking over as City boss, it has led to suggestions that Miller has no future with the club.

But the 20-year-old has bristled at such a notion and insists he can forge a career with the early Premier League leaders.

Wanting impact

"Why else would I have signed a three-year contract with City just before I joined on loan with West Brom?" said Miller in the Daily Star.

"I am a Manchester lad and I have come through the ranks at City.

"I want to go back there when the loan is up because I want to make an impact.

"Suggestions that I have been rejected by City are not right. I have come to Albion to broaden my horizons and learn my trade."

Ishmael Miller insists his loan move to West Brom does not mean he has been rejected by Manchester City.

The young striker has headed to The Hawthorns on a season-long loan deal after recently signing a new three-year contract at City.

He marked his Baggies debut by making a swift impact from the bench on Saturday when scoring the second goal in the 2-0 win over Preston.

With Sven Goran Eriksson having made a wealth of changes since taking over as City boss, it has led to suggestions that Miller has no future with the club.

But the 20-year-old has bristled at such a notion and insists he can forge a career with the early Premier League leaders.

Wanting impact

"Why else would I have signed a three-year contract with City just before I joined on loan with West Brom?" said Miller in the Daily Star.

"Suggestions that I have been rejected by City are not right. I have come to Albion to broaden my horizons and learn my trade."

in other words he's not good enough.....

Wanting impact

in other words he's not good enough.....

At the moment but he's come through the academy and is gaining experience elsewhere. He's bl00dy good BTW, a good prospect indeed.

I watched the U21 last night with our 3 playing (goalie, Nedum and Johnson). Very entertaining game, far better than watching the england team. Thought our boys did well, Goalie was unlucky with their goal - hit his back and went in, Nedum was captain and Johnson did well after a slow start.

I watched the U21 last night with our 3 playing (goalie, Nedum and Johnson).

Bred,

Do you know if young Kasper eligible (or could be eligible) to play for England? Been here for a while now and should be entitled to british citizenship (if he wanted)!!

Doncaster sign Man City's Mills

Doncaster boss Sean O'Driscoll has signed Manchester City defender Matthew Mills on a six-month loan deal.

The 20-year-old is expected to go straight into O'Driscoll's squad for the visit of Bournemouth on Saturday.

Former Southampton trainee Mills spent an impressive loan spell at Bournemouth in 2005 when O'Driscoll was manager at Dean Court.

O'Driscoll has been keen to boost his defence after Graeme Lee and Steve Roberts both sustained injuries.

Bred,

Do you know if young Kasper eligible (or could be eligible) to play for England? Been here for a while now and should be entitled to british citizenship (if he wanted)!!

Today's news: The FA are checking out a shock move to persuade Manchester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel to ditch his dad's Danish roots and play for England.

Bred,

Today's news: The FA are checking out a shock move to persuade Manchester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel to ditch his dad's Danish roots and play for England.

Cheers Bred :o

Come on you blues, keep up the winning run today at the Ar5e :D

some credit where its due....

Arsène Wenger has paid tribute to Sven-Goran Eriksson’s survival instincts ahead of Manchester City’s trip to Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

The Swede was left battered and bruised by his five years in charge of England so eyebrows were raised after he took over at Eastlands in the summer. Most expected that resilience would be needed early in the campaign as Eriksson’s numerous new arrivals attempted to pull the Citizens away from their perennial flirtation with the Premier League drop zone.

However, in the words of Wenger, Manchester City have ‘super-clicked, super-quickly’. They arrive in North London as League leaders and only the 11th team in the history of the English top-flight to win their first three games without conceding a goal.

UNQUOTE

but we will win :o

go gunners :D see u tonight Mr BoJ

I can see the bubble bursting tonight :o

City 0-2 Gooners :D .

Well you were almost correct, but what a great "footballing" game, i really enjoyed it, and our performance yet again was excellent. We won't play a better football side all season and they will be gald we don't come to their ground every week.

Kasper had a cracker - the penalty save and the header were brilliant. Dunney held us together and Micah had a bit of an off day. Petrov flatters to deceive. Why we don't use bianchi more is the biggest mystery, he looks excellent, is robust and his link up player excellent.

Well done Blues, keep on like that i we will be a top 6 challenger!

I can see the bubble bursting tonight :o

City 0-2 Gooners :D .

Well you were almost correct, but what a great "footballing" game, i really enjoyed it, and our performance yet again was excellent. We won't play a better football side all season and they will be gald we don't come to their ground every week.

Kasper had a cracker - the penalty save and the header were brilliant. Dunney held us together and Micah had a bit of an off day. Petrov flatters to deceive. Why we don't use bianchi more is the biggest mystery, he looks excellent, is robust and his link up player excellent.

Well done Blues, keep on like that i we will be a top 6 challenger!

City played really well and were unlucky not to get something from the game.

You've got a good season to look forward to if you keep playing like that and top 6 is not out of the question :D .

It was a gReat match City will have to win the next match to get the momentum rite:) The thai Man City fans watch the match together at the Novotel Srinakarin everyweek Any City fans in Thailand are welcome to join in, Remember to put on your Man City footie kits :o

Chinedum:

An outstanding junior sprinter, he finished in second place in the final of the 2001 English School's Athletics Association Junior 100 metres contest, clocking an astonishing 11.09 seconds as a 14 year old.

He is also currently the national record holder for boys under 15 standing triple jump, in the Sports:hall events held annually throughout the UK. The distance of over 9 meters was achieved at Wigan in 2002.