Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sven: Mills decision not easy

Sven Goran Eriksson admits it was 'not easy' to put Manchester City defender Danny Mills on the transfer list.

Mills is one of three players, along with Paul Dickov and Ousmane Dabo, to be informed he has no future under Eriksson.

The full-back was given his chance at international level by the Swede, who enjoyed working with Mills with the England squad.

Eriksson concedes it was a tough decision to make, but believes the former Leeds United stopper's career will be best served elsewhere.

"It's never easy," Eriksson told the club's official website.

"I have known Danny Mills a long, long time. He played a whole World Cup for England in Japan and did very well.

"Danny Mills is a super professional football player and is probably one of the fittest we have here. But sometimes maybe it's time to move on and I'm sorry about that.

"He is a nice man, a good lad to have around and gives everything out there, you always know what you get from Danny and that's 100%.

"He doesn't have any other gear other than 100%

three out, and you now have three Thai players coming in. They certainly believe that they have a good chance of getting in the first tem if you read the comments made by the Thai coach, who is also going over there for a couple of weeks.

I'm slightly confused however, if City do try to sign them will they be eligable for a work permit? Becasue Thailand are so lowly ranked in the FIFA rankings, and that does have affect WP applications for footballers. They certainly won't be able to do visa runs to Scotland every 30 days, and work without a permit. The idiot Wanchai in the Bagkok Post thinks City should sign them, as they can afford to put a couple of Thai players on the books. I think this shows the level of knowledge some so called football experts have. Just wandering if Man Utd, might sign me on as I am anice person and I come from Cornwall, people from the north like holidaying there, I met Beckham a few times and it might get a few mnore people in Cornwall supporting United.

The other thing is, are they really good enough? My opininon is that they are not up to playing either in the EPL or the championship. Judging from what I saw during the Asian cup, and although they had a good game against Australia, which is why people are talking about them, so did Exeter City, when they played Man Utd in the FA cup a few seasons back, but no one was deluded enough to suggest they were good enough to play in the EPL.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with that angle, and wether it's just a bit of Thaksin PR.

What do you blues think?

Edited by mrtoad

and wether it's just a bit of Thaksin PR.

I think it's a bit of that. Thaksin wants us to be big in Asia especially Thailand, so it fits that angle. He wants Thailand national team to progress, so if they can learn over here, it fits that angle too.

Apparently they are good (i posted about them and their form a couple of weeks ago) wether they are good enough for the prem is a different matter. But we haven't signed them yet, they have come on trial.

As for the work permit, in the main it never seems to be an issue with footballers. JiHai Sun (China i would rate the same as Thailand near enough) has got one and so have many other players in other teams. But our very own Scouser might be able to clarify the situation on that (and even offer his services to City) :o

and wether it's just a bit of Thaksin PR.

I think it's a bit of that. Thaksin wants us to be big in Asia especially Thailand, so it fits that angle. He wants Thailand national team to progress, so if they can learn over here, it fits that angle too.

Apparently they are good (i posted about them and their form a couple of weeks ago) wether they are good enough for the prem is a different matter. But we haven't signed them yet, they have come on trial.

As for the work permit, in the main it never seems to be an issue with footballers. JiHai Sun (China i would rate the same as Thailand near enough) has got one and so have many other players in other teams. But our very own Scouser might be able to clarify the situation on that (and even offer his services to City) :o

Agreed, although China are ranked a lot higher than Thailand in the FIFA rankings. 73 as opposed to 107, and I believe that when he received his original WP they were a top 40 ranked nation 9Hard to beleive).

The marketing certainly fits more, as there is a big fan base, and it can be benefical to all concerned - financially and politically.

I don't think City's Thai players will get work permits. They have to have played in at least 75% of their country's "A" team matches for which they've been available for selection and that country needs to have averaged 70 or above in the FIFA rankings for the previous two years.

Scouse.

As for the work permit, in the main it never seems to be an issue with footballers. JiHai Sun (China i would rate the same as Thailand near enough) has got one and so have many other players in other teams. But our very own Scouser might be able to clarify the situation on that (and even offer his services to City) :D

I don't think City's Thai players will get work permits. They have to have played in at least 75% of their country's "A" team matches for which they've been available for selection and that country needs to have averaged 70 or above in the FIFA rankings for the previous two years.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse :D

Well that has puoured water on the fire. If that's the case, what on earth are the advisor's at city's playing at.

Is there another type of visa available? Cos i can't think of one :o

There is a panel that they can plead their case to, but you do have to show that the player is top-notch and can't help that he comes from a lowly-ranked footballing country.

Failing that, and this is stretching it a bit, they could apply as students and they could work up to 20 hours per week, but they would otherwise have to attend at least 15 hours of classroom study per week. Failing, failing that, there's no objection to them coming over as visitors and training with the squad, but they wouldn't be able to sign a contract, couldn't be paid in the U.K., and would not be available for selection. They'd also have to go home after 6 months.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse :D

Well that has puoured water on the fire. If that's the case, what on earth are the advisor's at city's playing at.

Is there another type of visa available? Cos i can't think of one :o

Yeah, thank's scouse for confirming my original statement. To be honest mrbojangles as the lkelyhood that the advisors don't know what they are up to, then it's unlikely that anyone else will. :D Just a bit cynical with football directors, agents and administrators.

The 3 thais are going for experience, and a good relations exercise. Remember about 5 years ago or more the thai U18 (or U21) went to England and one of the 3 teams they played was City's youth team. These 3 will not be good enough for the Premier and physically not capable.

So you don't but into Wanchai (Bangkok Post) view that they should sign them because they can afford to do it? :o

I'm not sure what Wanchai has to offer the readers, he just plays safe writing about the top 4 teams, or is it lack of indepth knowledge of the english game.

By the way, when did Crutchley cease being Sport Editor of the BKK Post?

So you don't but into Wanchai (Bangkok Post) view that they should sign them because they can afford to do it? :o

I'm not sure what Wanchai has to offer the readers, he just plays safe writing about the top 4 teams, or is it lack of indepth knowledge of the english game.

By the way, when did Crutchley cease being Sport Editor of the BKK Post?

Yeah, I noticed that he is no longer the editor. So expect the quality to further slide.

Wanchai has about as much knowledge as my 8 year old son (Sorry, thats unfair on my lad -my lad knows more) when it comes to football. It' embarrasing that this guy has a job commentating on football for a national newspaper.

From city's web site

Sven reflects on a hectic few weeks

Just over a month into his first club managerial role since leaving Lazio, Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed, despite a ‘hectic few weeks,’ it’s good to be back.

“I feel fine,” said Sven. “I like it here very much and I hope I will like it even more in May. It’s good and for me personally coming back to football it’s great. Great stuff.”

It was a fairly late start for the new era at City with the former England head coach taking charge of the Blues on July 6, but things have moved along very quickly.

He admitted: “Especially in July and August, everything is quick, if you talk about transfers we have done a lot of deals now and I suppose we haven’t finished yet.

“It’s good to be back even if it has been a hectic few weeks, but that’s good, I like it.

“The preparation we’ve done has been very good. We’ve been very lucky with very few injuries, even if now Isaksson has a long-term injury.”

Another injury line from the Manager was that Emile Mpenza’s leg muscle trouble seems to have got the better of him as the Manager added: “Emile will start training with us on Sunday and hopefully be ready for the Wednesday game.

“He will not take part in Saturday’s game.”

Good Luck for the forthcoming season to all City supporters.

You deserve a better season than the one they gave you last year.

I luv your sense of humour mate, :o , SHUUUURRRUP, they deserve all they get....! :D

redrus

Very droll Jockstar, very droll :o

From the bbc:-

Man City pair gain work permits

Manchester City new signings Vedran Corluka and Valeri Bojinov have both been granted work permits.

Neither Bulgarian striker Bojinov, 21, or Croatian defender Corluka, 21, met the strict criteria required.

But City's former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson made a personal appearance at the pair's appeal hearing in Sheffield.

Both are now eligible to feature in City's Premier League opener against West Ham at Upton Park.

But neither striker Bojinov or defender Corluka has played a pre-season match so far, which makes their selection less likely.

Corluka was also forced to board a flight back to Zagreb in order to get an official passport stamp allowing him to work in the UK.

It means Corluka may not even be able to feature in City's final training session before they head to London.

Again from the bbc:-

Man City falter in Bresciano bid

Manchester City's bid to sign Mark Bresciano from Palermo has ground to a halt over the way the Premier League club wants to pay the £5m transfer fee.

Palermo have requested an up-front payment for the 27-year-old Bresciano, while City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh wants to split the payments.

"I think the problem is to do with the dates of payment," said City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"Hopefully he'll be back soon because we know he's a very good player."

The Australia midfielder spent most of the week at City's Carrington training ground.

Since taking over as City boss, Eriksson has invested £40m on eight players.

Some interesting facts:-

Last season: 14th 42 points

1. Been crowned champions of England twice (1936-37 and 1967-68).

2. One of 10 founder members of the Premier League competing this season.

3. Lost their Premier League status in 1995-96 after competing in the first four seasons, and returned after a four-year exile, during which time they dipped into the third tier. A one-season stay in 2000-01, was followed by a one-season absence. They achieved their highest Premier League placing of eighth in 2004-05 - the central season of the last five years residence.

4. Scored only 29 Premier League goals last season; the same number as rock bottom Watford.

5. Lost only two points from winning positions, but gained only one point when losing.

6. Failed to score in an unequalled 19 Premier League games last term, but only one of two clubs who never lost a league match in which they opened the scoring; Arsenal were the other club.

7. Although making his Premier League managerial debut, former England coach Eriksson has guided IFK Gothenburg to the Swedish league title twice and Benfica to the Portuguese league title three times, while masterminding Lazio to the Italian championship once.

8. A 0-3 victory at Charlton on 17 August 2003 is their only opening day victory in 10 attempts in the Premier League.

9. Failed to score in five of the last eight Premier League seasonal debut fixtures.

10. Ended last season without a win in six league games, losing the last three. Their last league win was also in London; 1-3 at Fulham on 9 April.

Some player facts:-

Richard DUNNE was one of four outfield players to have been involved in every minute of every one of his clubs' Premier League matches last season. The others were Ivar Ingimarsson (Reading), Phil Jagielka (Sheffield United, now Everton) and Yobo (Everton).

Bernardo CORRADI was one of three players to be sent off twice in last season's Premier League. The others were George BOATENG (Middlesbrough) and Phillippe SENDEROS (Arsenal).

Manchester City fielded the youngest player in the Premier League last season in Daniel STURRIDGE, who was 17 years 155 days old, when he came on as a substitute in the 0-2 home defeat by Reading on 3 February.