Manchester City

mrbojangles

I tried to multi quote but it went tits up.

Seems a lot of money for an understudy, surely he was bought to integrate in to a starting line up?

At the same time I can understand BB's point with Kun being so injury prone Bony will see enough game time anyway.

I'm like Jelly, I would like to see him start and what he can do in this team.

I was happy to see him on the bench at the weekend though wink.png

I hope Bony proves me wrong, but I don't think he's a topnotch player who improves a team like Silva, Aguero and Yaya (all Mancini-era buys) and that is part of our problem in recent years.

i agree, bony's not a genuine top class striker. he's very good but not a european elite level one. he wouldn't play at barca, madrid, bayern. or even that small club that won the pools chelsea for that matter.

My two bobs worth is that he brings more to the table than either Dzeko or Jovetic, therefore he is an upgrade, that has cost us 25 million quid.

We couldnt afford a 'top notch' striker, which on todays prices would be 60 or 70 million at a minimum, significantly more if you are looking at the likes of Messi/Ronaldo.

I think, had Dzeko NOT scored against Newcastle, then Bony would have started V Barcelona.

• Like 2

I hope Bony proves me wrong, but I don't think he's a topnotch player who improves a team like Silva, Aguero and Yaya (all Mancini-era buys) and that is part of our problem in recent years.

i agree, bony's not a genuine top class striker. he's very good but not a european elite level one. he wouldn't play at barca, madrid, bayern. or even that small club that won the pools chelsea for that matter.

When we were crap, I used to gauge our team by calculating (in my opinion) who would get in to manu's team - some seasons that might even be zero (now I do the same for manu to get in to the City team). These days I gauge against a nominal European top team; this season I would assume the following would be in the team or squad of a Bayern, Barca or Real: Aguero, Silva, Yaya, Hart, Zaba and Kompany (recent slump noted), and that there indicates why we are not progressing in Europe and in the Premier, not enough topnotch players and none post-Mancini!

• Like 1

I think the problem started in the Mancini era, immediately after we won our first title, Mancini was not backed in the transfer market. He openly criticised Marwood and we ended up panic buying at the end of the transfer window with the likes of injury prone Rodwell and Sinclair. We didnt improve our team.

And then this past summer due to FFP we were not able to splash the cash and in reality the money we did spend has not been spent wisely. We look to have overpaid for Mangala and he has taken a lot longer to adapt to the Premier League. Negredo looked good for a while but then because of our punishment we had to reduce our squad size for CL and Negredo had to be let go. Another wasted summer IMO.

Compare what we did, transfer wise to what Chelsea did........... Chelsea were prudent, spent very little in net spend and significantly improved their squad. That is the difference. Whether its Pellegrini or Tixi or whoever, they aint improving the team and havennt for a couple of years.

My main gripe with Pellegrini is that he is not giving any of our homegrown younger players any sort of chance. Compare that with Mancini. At least Roberto gave the young boys a run out every now and again.

• Like 1

I think the problem started in the Mancini era, immediately after we won our first title, Mancini was not backed in the transfer market. He openly criticised Marwood and we ended up panic buying at the end of the transfer window with the likes of injury prone Rodwell and Sinclair. We didnt improve our team.

And then this past summer due to FFP we were not able to splash the cash and in reality the money we did spend has not been spent wisely. We look to have overpaid for Mangala and he has taken a lot longer to adapt to the Premier League. Negredo looked good for a while but then because of our punishment we had to reduce our squad size for CL and Negredo had to be let go. Another wasted summer IMO.

Compare what we did, transfer wise to what Chelsea did........... Chelsea were prudent, spent very little in net spend and significantly improved their squad. That is the difference. Whether its Pellegrini or Tixi or whoever, they aint improving the team and havennt for a couple of years.

My main gripe with Pellegrini is that he is not giving any of our homegrown younger players any sort of chance. Compare that with Mancini. At least Roberto gave the young boys a run out every now and again.

All good points...lets hope we have a profitable summer for a change. When you look at our best 5 or 6 players, none of them were particularly expensive, Silva, Zaba, Kompany and Hart were absolute bargains and Aguero and Yaya were good buys for the price, so why have failed to pick up any other bargains and good investments...obviously Marwood and/or the 2 Barca boys have a lot to answer for!

All good points...lets hope we have a profitable summer for a change. When you look at our best 5 or 6 players, none of them were particularly expensive, Silva, Zaba, Kompany and Hart were absolute bargains and Aguero and Yaya were good buys for the price, so why have failed to pick up any other bargains and good investments...obviously Marwood and/or the 2 Barca boys have a lot to answer for!

I dont know if their scouting system has changed. But if you look at Arsenal.... over the years the have consistently brought in cheap French imports, most of whom have been successful. Of late we seem to leave it to the last minute and then panic buy, often over paying. Even Bony, though I think the price was OK, was not a player we had been courting. He performed in the premiership, everybody was aware of him, we could afford his wages, so we got him. We need to find these lesser known players from somewhere. Its going to take 3 yrs before our investment in youth starts to come to fruition. Hopefully by then, we have a manager who believes in giving youth a chance

I dont know if their scouting system has changed. But if you look at Arsenal.... over the years the have consistently brought in cheap French imports, most of whom have been successful. Of late we seem to leave it to the last minute and then panic buy, often over paying. Even Bony, though I think the price was OK, was not a player we had been courting. He performed in the premiership, everybody was aware of him, we could afford his wages, so we got him. We need to find these lesser known players from somewhere. Its going to take 3 yrs before our investment in youth starts to come to fruition. Hopefully by then, we have a manager who believes in giving youth a chance

What do you base that on ?

My two bobs worth is that he brings more to the table than either Dzeko or Jovetic, therefore he is an upgrade, that has cost us 25 million quid.

We couldnt afford a 'top notch' striker, which on todays prices would be 60 or 70 million at a minimum, significantly more if you are looking at the likes of Messi/Ronaldo.

I think, had Dzeko NOT scored against Newcastle, then Bony would have started V Barcelona.

I'll throw an equal two bob in with that jack

Well, Bony gets his first start, so lets see what he can offer. Vinny Kompany dropped to the bench, which is pretty reasonable after his recent performances. Also on the bench is Zabba, Milner, Dzecko, Frank and Clichy

Starting 11:- Hart, Sagna, Demichelis, Mangala, Kolarov, Yaya Toure, Fernando, Navas, Bony, Aguero, Silva

Totally agree BB. It's our job to break down teams who come and put 11 men behind the ball.

Did you see Aguero's frustration just before the goal? Toure should have threaded a ball through to him first time but delayed it and Aguero was not happy

Rumours today that we might be raiding our feeder club again, in the summer.

I hope not. I dont like Wilshire. I dont think our fans like him. Smoking Midget.

To be fair, I don't think Wiltshire is a mercenary like the others you signed from there !

I hope not. I dont like Wilshire. I dont think our fans like him. Smoking Midget.

A rumor that I saw once before months ago. Beggars belief. Why on earth City would be interested in an oft injured, mentally challenged clod is beyond me. Were that to happen it would lead me to believe the City braintrust is out to lunch.

To be fair, I don't think Wiltshire is a mercenary like the others you signed from there !

Clearly Alfie has lost his bearings recently. Alfie, this is the City thread, not the Liverpool thread. I thought your chronic hard on was for the Scousers !

Clearly Alfie has lost his bearings recently. Alfie, this is the City thread, not the Liverpool thread. I thought your chronic hard on was for the Scousers !

Just voicing my opinion jd ! biggrin.png

Totally agree! Don't rate him, he doesn't have the physicality or athleticism to be a top player (my main complaint also about Nasri...an arsenal thing maybe).

Hope we go for Cresswell though.

According to some Sunday papers in the UK, City are worried about the lack of homegrown players in their team. So with Lampard off to NY & Milner rumoured to be off to Roma, City are considering not just Wilshere but Barkley & Ings too. More English players sitting on the bench a la Rodwell & Sinclair. Not to mention keeping them out of the competition's teams.

Ok Alfie. Let's pretend we are on the Liverpool thread:

Alfie ! You ignorant slut ! You braindead Totteringham loser !

I do not get this 'mercenary' thing you quote. They are professional footballers. It's their job. Many of them are playing in a foreign land so they have no real ties to ant team in that country. They will move to another club to better their lot and why shouldn't they.

• Like 1

According to some Sunday papers in the UK, City are worried about the lack of homegrown players in their team. So with Lampard off to NY & Milner rumoured to be off to Roma, City are considering not just Wilshere but Barkley & Ings too. More English players sitting on the bench a la Rodwell & Sinclair. Not to mention keeping them out of the competition's teams.

Barkley and Wilshere ? Certainly City could do better, though Barkley has a ton of talent. But Wilshere ? Never !

Can see the concern. I'd go for Cresswell and I'd really test the scousers for Sterling who always impresses me and will only getter better with experience.

Ok Alfie. Let's pretend we are on the Liverpool thread:

Alfie ! You ignorant slut ! You braindead Totteringham loser !

Bore off you scouse <deleted>.

Oops sorry jellybean! :D

• Like 1