Manchester City

mrbojangles

^Wish I could read it but the Daily Mail is still on the naughty step here in Thailand.

A little bird told me that there is a DM App ... Edited by JAS21

BIG game tonight boys! I wonder you really must be looking over thy shoulder....even if you win i see you have a very difficult last away game which you will have to win

#twitchy biggrin.png

You are spot on with your comments. We've been looking over our shoulder most the season so no change today, we traditionally struggle against Arsenal (hand on heart, I'm not confident tonight; hope our boys surprise me) so I reckon it will go down to the last game I'm sure.

^Wish I could read it but the Daily Mail is still on the naughty step here in Thailand.

A little bird told me that there is a DM App ...

I thought the blacklisting of the Mail was over as I was able to read it the other day when I was in a Chanthaburi hotel; truth is I can't be arsed turning my VPN on to read it.

That we, along with Arsenal are the great underachievers this year.Sure, Pellegrini's dignified. He is not a ranter or a raver. He does not hurl insults or poke opposing managers in the eye. He does not throw balls on to the pitch to try to impede the opposition.

He didn't even throw his toys out of the pram when City offered Pep Guardiola his job midway through the season. He was awfully grown-up about it all.

So, yes, he's charming and dignified. He's also, if we're being told to judge him on his character, desperately dull. In a charisma contest between Pellegrini and Jurgen Klopp's spectacles, Klopp's glasses win hands down.

There's less spark in the guy than there was in City's performance at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night. And that's really saying something.

City did well to get to the semi-finals of the Champions League this season. It represented a step forward for them in the competition after previous failings. But the manner of their exit undid much of that good work. Insipid doesn't tell half the story. City looked scared to death of Real Madrid. They hardly went out there fired up by their manager.

They didn't play on Wednesday night as if it were the most important game of their season. They played like a team who wanted the season to be over. They played like a team who didn't believe.

They played like a team who thought they had reached their ceiling and were ready to bow to their superiors.

And Jesus Navas. Please, somebody explain Jesus Navas to me. Someone explain why Pellegrini keeps putting him in the starting line-up. The closest City fans get to chanting his name is when they see it on the team sheet. Stick a comma between Jesus and Navas and you start to get the idea.

He works hard, apparently. Well, forgive me, but I thought right-wingers were supposed to have a bit more about them than tracking back to mark Marcelo. If Navas had a football brain, he'd be dangerous. But he doesn't. I know this is stretching credulity but his end product is worse than Aaron Lennon's.

Maybe you think this is harsh on Pellegrini. The Chilean won the title in his first season at the Etihad. He was second — a distant second — to Chelsea last season. But has he made the best of the lavish resources City have given him? Sorry, but the answer is that he has not even got close.

Pellegrini has spent more than £340million on new players since he arrived at the Etihad. Last summer, City blew every other club out of the water in terms of the money that they spent.

Over the last five years, City are the highest net spenders in the Premier League. Whatever way you stack it up, City have backed Pellegrini to the hilt. They should be the dominant force in the English game. They should have a stranglehold on the Premier League. The fact that they don't damns Pellegrini.

With that kind of recruitment budget, that kind of pulling power, they should be away and clear at the top of the table as we go into the final week of the season. Instead, as the country glories in the triumph of Leicester City, Pellegrini and his side are locked in a grim struggle just to attain Champions League football next season

The news that Guardiola was taking over did Pellegrini a favour. If City fans had thought there was a chance of him staying, they probably would have made their displeasure clear by now. As it is, they have acted with great class towards a manager who promised so much in his first year but failed to deliver beyond that.

On the weekend when all England sat back, watched Leicester's coronation and gloried in the revelation that a good manager, unsung players and a fierce team spirit can still mean more than throwing tens of millions of pounds at hollow men, it must be particularly hard for City's hierarchy to accept that they should be fighting over consolation prizes with Arsenal at the Etihad.

City and Arsenal are the two great underachievers of this season, the teams who should have been jousting for the title today. Instead, they are both looking nervously over their shoulders. City should win today but if they don't, all bets are off. Manchester United are well placed to overtake them after their victory at Norwich. City may even be vulnerable to West Ham.

That's the measure of what Pellegrini has done this season. The Arsenal boss, Arsene Wenger, and the United manager, Louis van Gaal, have been ridiculed for their failures while Pellegrini has escaped scot-free. A cursory glance at the table shows he is sandwiched between the two of them.

There is only one conclusion: any lingering sympathy for Pellegrini is misplaced. City got it absolutely right when they decided to dispense with his services. They probably should have done it earlier. They almost certainly would have done it earlier if Guardiola had been available.

The current Bayern Munich boss cannot get to Manchester soon enough. City are a side in dire need of a shot of his energy and manic intensity, never mind his tactical acumen. The fact that City are not even sure they will be able to present their new manager with a chance to challenge for the Champions League at all next season is the most damning indictment of the current regime.

City ought to be better than this. An awful lot better. The club deserve more but when it came to the crunch, Pellegrini wasn't up to it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3578900/Manuel-Pellegrini-blew-chance-Manchester-City-don-t-feel-sorry-him.html#ixzz484AgNHRv

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3578900/Manuel-Pellegrini-blew-chance-Manchester-City-don-t-feel-sorry-him.html#ixzz484AMx7jI

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3578900/Manuel-Pellegrini-blew-chance-Manchester-City-don-t-feel-sorry-him.html#ixzz484A8Cw4G

^Thanks for posting the Mail article (who wrote it?). Can't say there's much, if anything I disagree with in it.

As a footballing team I think we have regressed since Mancini left and Pellegrini took over; Pellegrini's lucky to have the spine of Mancini's side to use these past 3 years. As a comparison between the two manager's teams, Mancini's team defended better (without checking, I'm pretty sure we had the best goals against record each of his seasons), we played more as a team, attacked better, kept possession better, whereas under Pellegrini he's kept us ticking over, seems this season to have instilled European tactical nous in us (defend first as a team and wait for a goal chance). Both manager's used to infuriate me with their use of substitutes, Pellegrini took a long time - too long - to drop 442 every game, and how the hell did we go in to this season we just Aguero as a recognized top striker. As a club, I'm sure Pellegrini has helped us move forward but I'm definitively happy to move forward, see him move on, and I'm looking forward to seeing Pep sort out some of the prima donnas and get us challenging again.

It hasn't been a good season, if we get top 4 i'll be happy but if we don't then i'll accept we didn't deserve it and very quickly move on, enjoy the summer break and expect us to come back better next season.

^Thanks for posting the Mail article (who wrote it?). Can't say there's much, if anything I disagree with in it.

As a footballing team I think we have regressed since Mancini left and Pellegrini took over; Pellegrini's lucky to have the spine of Mancini's side to use these past 3 years. As a comparison between the two manager's teams, Mancini's team defended better (without checking, I'm pretty sure we had the best goals against record each of his seasons), we played more as a team, attacked better, kept possession better, whereas under Pellegrini he's kept us ticking over, seems this season to have instilled European tactical nous in us (defend first as a team and wait for a goal chance). Both manager's used to infuriate me with their use of substitutes, Pellegrini took a long time - too long - to drop 442 every game, and how the hell did we go in to this season we just Aguero as a recognized top striker. As a club, I'm sure Pellegrini has helped us move forward but I'm definitively happy to move forward, see him move on, and I'm looking forward to seeing Pep sort out some of the prima donnas and get us challenging again.

It hasn't been a good season, if we get top 4 i'll be happy but if we don't then i'll accept we didn't deserve it and very quickly move on, enjoy the summer break and expect us to come back better next season.

Oliver Holt wrote it. He is a Manc who writes for the Mail (his mother is Emily Bishop!!LOL (true))

Personally I think it would be a disaster if we dont finish 4th. We have to get into CL next year. We will have a great manager but in order to get the best players you need CL as well.

Our 2 shoe ins are now badly injured(Gundogan and LaPorte)

Made me laugh I read an article where Pellegrini said our squad doesnt need an overhaul!! Deluded!!

Toure/Bony/Navas/Kolarov/Demichelis/Zabaleta/Caballero.... thats just for starters. You then look at Sagna/Clichy/Delph/Fernando.Are they good enough? Silva is not getting any younger and is forever injured, Vinny looks done(even though I would persevere)

Pep has a big job on!!

• Like 1

3rd place not 4th was always going to be sufficient incentive Bo, though effectively we only need one point for that (surely Villa can't take points off us on the last day?!).

Despite the hoohah over Spurs dismal showing tonight I doubt we can nick 2nd - can't see any way that Newcastle will play out of their skin and get points out of Spurs, even if they are still in with a shout of staying up by then (I reckon the Makems have their traditional last gasp momentum and will beat Everton on Wednesday and delight in demoting them - forget the Spurs v Arsenal rivalry, there's is war). No quality consistently all season (Newcastle).

No idea what happens tonight now, but overall the positions are going to be the deserved ones. The delightful Leicester get the title. The dire Villa, striker-less Norwich and rubbish Newcastle get demoted and Man U miss out on the CL!

Put it this way - if we are drawing in the 80th minute I hope Arsene does not 'go for it' just to (have a still outisde chamce of) do one on Spurs. I'd rather see him protect the rights to 3rd and avoid the extra CL match.

Edited by SantiSuk

Ps. When Walcott came on at 60minutes City were really struggling for a period and looked very leggy. I was screaming at the tv for Pellegrini to bring on Yaya or Delph for an ineffective Nacho. Pellegrini did nothing and we paid the penalty. THAT is an aspect Pellegrini is poor at - too trusting of his players - and I expect Pep to offer an improvement

In the UK City are 6/4 to win the Premiership next season.

Can anyone explain the logic of this to me please?

Probably the same reason Leicester are 25/1 to be relegated and 33/1 to win the 2016/17 title.

It must feel awful for the team and manager doing a lap of honour to an empty stadium,very embarrasing after what the charming man has done for you.

Loyal fans my arse!

I actually felt really sorry for him after all he has done for city, last game of the season at home and they have to run off to the satellite town outside Manchester rather than staying behind and thanking the manager and the team for winning another trophy and getting to the champions league semi final.

• Like 2

"squeaky bums" time now chaps gigglem.gif

how the hell has your season turned into this shambles whistling.gif

simple really,brash statement about a new manager coming in thumbsup.gif

shooting yourselves in the foot clap2.gif

• Like 1

guardiola bump and the likelihood that he'll have £150m+ to lash about.

It must feel awful for the team and manager doing a lap of honour to an empty stadium,very embarrasing after what the charming man has done for you.

Loyal fans my arse!

I actually felt really sorry for him after all he has done for city, last game of the season at home and they have to run off to the satellite town outside Manchester rather than staying behind and thanking the manager and the team for winning another trophy and getting to the champions league semi final.

Because many of City,s fans only started following them when the big money came in in 2008,and they don,t know about the many dark times at Maine road.

Glory hunters springs to mind thumbsup.gif

oops sorry about referring to the past sad.png

guardiola bump and the likelihood that he'll have £150m+ to lash about.

guardiola took over at Bayern Munich when they European champions..............in his three seasons there they have failed to achieve that again.

successful or not whistling.gif ........... the head groundsman was quite capable of managing the side to winning the domestic (bundesliga) title cheesy.gif

Beggars belief what the bookies think...............I,m putting ten bob on Burnley for next seasons prem thumbsup.gif

Loyal fans my arse!

absolutely pathetic and embarrassing that. 3/4 empty stadium when your about to depart premier league-winning manager gives his speech.

How many attended Rafa Benitez's speech? How many attended Roy Hodgsons speech? How many attended Kenny Dalglish speech? How many attended Brendan Rodgers speech? Glass houses boys

Pelle's recent team choices for important games have let us down and I think if we hadn't already got our new manager lined up we would be screaming for Pelle's head. Would I have stayed if I'd have been at the match, doubt it very much.