Manchester City

mrbojangles

Paul Pogba and John Stones vital in different ways to Manchester clubs

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/aug/10/paul-pogba-john-stones-manchester-united-manchester-city

A decent appraisal of City last season and now in my opinion. From my non-ManU affiliation it looks a fair appraisal of them, but ManU fans may disagree.

18 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

For 50m I want him (and he should be) better than alright BB

Why would you buy an English centre-back when an Italian centre-back is available ? I believe Einstein addressed  this question once upon a time when discussing the definition of insanity.

16 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Why would you buy an English centre-back when an Italian centre-back is available ? I believe Einstein addressed  this question once upon a time when discussing the definition of insanity.

I suppose it may have something to do with our johnny foreigner quota, already being over subscribed. Probably not the only reason but why he is looking to offload Bony, Nasri and Mangala

• Like 2

^"Why would you buy an English centre-back when an Italian centre-back is available ?"

I guess the answer might be cost (both 50m), age (29yr old vs 22 yr old) and long-term investment
"...Juve are said to want a world record fee for a defender - valuing Bonucci in excess of £50m...His price tag could prove prohibitive - particularly given the size of the fee it is likely to take to secure the signing of Stones. At the age of 22, the Everton centre back is seen as a long-term investment - capable of operating at the heart of City's defence for years to come."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-offered-bonucci-transfer-11625037

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I suppose it may have something to do with our johnny foreigner quota, already being over subscribed. Probably not the only reason but why he is looking to offload Bony, Nasri and Mangala

I figure we ought to make, with any luck, $50mil from those three. That'll pay for Stones and we're not likely to miss any of them.:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I figure we ought to make, with any luck, $50mil from those three. That'll pay for Stones and we're not likely to miss any of them.:thumbsup:

I read yesterday that Arsenal want Bony. That'll make Chicoq's day :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/10/arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-on-wednesday--live-updates/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bony, the man who controls the ball like a table tennis bat. Wenger can't be that desperate surely.

Agreed. I would think Bony would be the very last striker on a Wenger list. Incomprehensible.

50 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Wobbly Willy doesn't fill me with confidence. If he does start, I think that's Joe out the door

Same here. Looks like Pep is exploring a number of options that would see Joe as surplus goods. But I can't see Willy being any more trustworthy at all.

Caballero |
Clichy, Kolarov, Stones, Sagna | Silva, Fernandinho, De Bruyne | Nolito, Agüero,Sterling

Substitutes from: Hart, Zabaleta, Fernando, Navas, Delph, Otamendi, Iheanacho

No Yaya.

Now that's an attacking formation. Looks like Kolorov has a fan. Read somewhere Silva is captain; really?

I'm enjoyed the new look City. Thought we were excellent for 35 minutes then we lost our way. Like the way we move the ball around, players move around and I was shocked to see Clichy and Sagna pushing in to central midfield - Clichy can do it but Sagna uncomfortable, so get Zaba on. Had +70% possession but just as in preseason we've created few chances.

49 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I'm enjoyed the new look City. Thought we were excellent for 35 minutes then we lost our way. Like the way we move the ball around, players move around and I was shocked to see Clichy and Sagna pushing in to central midfield - Clichy can do it but Sagna uncomfortable, so get Zaba on. Had +70% possession but just as in preseason we've created few chances.

Nicked a late win, thought you were boring for the most part, never stretched Sunderland at all.

I expected more for the home debut under Pep, especially against turmoiled Sunderland.

Good to get the first win out the way.

• Like 2

^Agree with your comments Bob. 2nd half we had +80% but created not alot. Seen so many games in recent seasons like that, attack vs defence. Thought Pep missed a trick not putting a better footballer on for Sagna who was often the free man - hopefully the penny will drop with Pep that Zaba is the better footballer. Fortuitous result, we'll get better the more we play under Peps system and bring on Steau.

Watched a lot of football tonight and there's a long way to go but Sunderland looked better than a handful of teams I watched.

• Like 1

Definitely getting the ball out of the back better than last season, but a major disconnect between the midfield and strikers. Created few really good chances. Early days though. Must give Sunderland credit as they pressed hard and worked their tails off.