Manchester City

mrbojangles

I thought that Joe Hart would be back in the team by Christmas if he had stayed at City. I suspect the decision to go to Torino was not entirely all his own. Since winning the first six matches, City have won 3, drawn 3 and lost 3. This sure ain't the Bundesliga. Pep's aura  of invincibility is looking a bit tarnished.

51 minutes ago, champers said:

I thought that Joe Hart would be back in the team by Christmas if he had stayed at City. I suspect the decision to go to Torino was not entirely all his own. Since winning the first six matches, City have won 3, drawn 3 and lost 3. This sure ain't the Bundesliga. Pep's aura  of invincibility is looking a bit tarnished.

Andy Gray was joking with Keys at the end of the 3pms, pointing out that all five games had the home team scoring three goals, then pointing at Leicester.

I doubt even he thought anything other than a Manchester Dhabi away banker was coming, given Leicester's pitiful recent form.

So - were Leicester suddenly that good, or were Citeh really that bad?

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

So - were Leicester suddenly that good, or were Citeh really that bad?

A bit of both.  Leicester had almost no possession but made what little they had count. City terrible in defence and struggled to get past Leicesters defence......until it was too late.

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

A bit of both.  Leicester had almost no possession but made what little they had count. City terrible in defence and struggled to get past Leicesters defence......until it was too late.

Keys and Gray, plus Bellamy and Cole all think Pep doesn't realise his style of play doesn't work in the Premier League.

8 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Keys and Gray, plus Bellamy and Cole all think Pep doesn't realise his style of play doesn't work in the Premier League.

They weren't saying that at the start of the season when we won 6 prem games on the bounce. I take them with a pinch of salt.

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Well they caught us cold with 2 decent goals in the first 5 minutes before we'd woke up and it was game over. Were they decent? Yes i reckon so, probably as good as they've played all season i would have thought (with the caveat i don't watch all the games). Were we that bad? Yes! I thought we improved after yaya and sterling came on for Nacho and Navas (useless!) though Sterling is wasted left side. But even though we improved it was a identify fit picture of last week of focusing on scoring goals but being picked off by fast breaking forwards against carthorse Kolorov (last week Otamendi was prime suspect). So Pep isn't learning. Clearly his biggest mistake all season and probably will be until the end of the season is replacing a decent goalie like Hart - who all City fans rate - with a goalie who rarely seems to make a save.

We started the season well with wins but we weren't playing well. Highs have been few but pick would be 1st half vs ManU and 2nd half vs Barca. The rest of the time we've been no better than any other team in the top 6. We've now hit the low. Chelsea was harder to take for me as i thought we going to go on and win it but we let them off the hook. Yesterday the 2 early goals killed us before we'd even started, but we were poor throughout the team.

It's hard to see how we can maintain a Premier challenge as we just don't seem to have defenders capable of defending. Fullbacks playing at CB, etc, just shows how short we are at both fullback (all 4 are now aged), Kompany permanently injured is seriously affecting us, Otamendi blows hot and cold but i don't think he will ever just blow hot, Stones is a decent defender/player who needs to learn and he'll be ok. This is where we are throwing it away to Chelsea and the rest. As the defence cant defend that means changing the system Pep to protect them; start from by not conceding and move forward on that (Mourinho philosophy). It's not too late to put it right though probably in an hour we'll be 7 points behind (i'm not following the Chelsea game that's on right now).

My tip for the season is probably Chelsea; they look like they did 2 seasons back - SOLID throughout the whole team but a TEAM.

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Andy Cole was loving it, he didn't shut up post-match.  

In recent weeks had to put up with Robbie Savage and yesterday Steve Macmanamanananan withering on and enjoying us losing. To be honest the only pundits i don't mind are Red Nev (strange that) and Davie Provan, the rest are rubbish. Oh, i quite like Lee Dixon.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/11/04/a-guide-to-english-soccer-tv-commentators-usa/

That was an obscene performance. For me the troubles start with our fullbacks. Sagna and Clichy are done and have been. Zabs, bless him, is OK at times, but lacks pace. Kolorav flat out can't defend. Our centre-backs are mistake prone. Bravo has been average at best, but he's not to blame for the avalanche of 1:1s he's had to face. Given the constant personnel changes in the back clearly there is very poor communication among all involved. Add in that Fernandinho is our only dependable DM. Fernando is a horror show.

I'm not sure what Pep can do to fix the poor defending. It would have helped if there had been more focus on shoring up an aging defense in the summer. Tons of attacking talent signed and essentially only young Stones as a defender.

It doesn't help that Pep is starting to look like an overconfident, mad scientist. Annoying some of his post game comments about tackling. I suppose he thinks he has complete safety given his relationship with management.

Piss poor all around at the moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

In recent weeks had to put up with Robbie Savage and yesterday Steve Macmanamanananan withering on and enjoying us losing. To be honest the only pundits i don't mind are Red Nev (strange that) and Davie Provan, the rest are rubbish. Oh, i quite like Lee Dixon.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/11/04/a-guide-to-english-soccer-tv-commentators-usa/

you can add me to your like list.

didnt see any footi this weekend as it was euro rugby fri sat sun.

what is happening are some players not putting it in for pepe.

relegation looming.

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Monaco.

2nd in their league, 1 point behind Mario's Nice.

Topped their Champions League group beating Spurs twice.

Should be interesting.

Many City fans were hoping for Monaco but not me. They are a well drilled, pacey bunch and likely to give City fits. Nothing so easy at this stage though.

Just been watching Peps latest press conference. I like what I hear always. It's not going great recently but we're still thereabouts. If kdb had put the 2nd in against Chelsea it be very different but he didn't. Clearly he's stuck with players he inherited and those he bought and can only changecso much. We lack physicality at the back without Kompany and it's hurting us. He's honest that he's learning and didn't appreciate facets of the English game. But come on where not in that bad a shape. We'll see the season through do what we can and I reckon 2nd season will be better. Enjoy listening to him.

Flew into Thailand last night, didn't get a wink of sleep. Landed at 7pm, got to the hotel at 9pm. Went out for a pint and then went back to the hotel. Sat in the chair waiting for kick off and woke up at 6am. Missed the bladdy match for the first time this season

How did we play lads and what's up with Gundogan?

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Flew into Thailand last night, didn't get a wink of sleep. Landed at 7pm, got to the hotel at 9pm. Went out for a pint and then went back to the hotel. Sat in the chair waiting for kick off and woke up at 6am. Missed the bladdy match for the first time this season

How did we play lads and what's up with Gundogan?

Yeah that old chestnut bj, your not talking to the wife now you know :laugh:

Just now, alfieconn said:

Yeah that old chestnut bj, your not talking to the wife now you know :laugh:

Honest Alfie. I wouldn't lie to you. My neck is killing me this morning. Can't believe it was the first match I've missed. However, me not watching seems to have brought some luck :laugh:

Just been reading the match report. Blimey, you don't see this said very often:-

After 76 minutes Etienne Capoue forced a fine save out of Claudio Bravo

Good to get a clean sheet

Interesting that with Aguero out, I thought Nacho would have been given his chance but he never even featured in the line up or as a sub