Manchester City

mrbojangles

4 hours ago, carmine said:

Goalkeeper dodgy at best, fullbacks too slow and center backs rocky.  

Sure replace Hart with a world class keeper but what on earth was he thinking of bringing Bravo?

Only a manager, who's brain is addled, would consider a couple of tortoises like Zabaleta and Toure in the holding midfield role. Surely there must be other options at City?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm flying back to Saudi today smokes, so got to set for Heathrow in a couple of hours.

As for the match. It's blatantly obvious as to where our problems are and have been all season. A goalkeeper is supposed to save you points, not cost you them. Bravo is useless, our defenders are getting caught ball watching too often and as Carms says, they are too slow.

Could have been a different story if Clattenburg had given the Sterling penalty or if we had put away our early chances.

Never mind...at least you are at home next weekend. 

Edit: safe flight and hope you have found the biz class section on the booking form this time. 

Edited by smokie36

"Only a manager, who's brain is addled, would consider a couple of tortoises like Zabaleta and Toure in the holding midfield role. Surely there must be other options at City?"

To be honest, central midfield and Yaya and Zaba wasn't were we lost the game or battle as we had most of the ball most of the time and were going forwards. We lost the game, and this is a constant theme we don't seem able to address, because we didn't take our chances (as stated above, 'could' have been a different story if the definite pen had been given), we got caught on the counter, johnny bravo seem to go through games without making a save, and consequently everton scored 4 out of 4 chances.

As to central holding midfield, Fernandinho is banned, Fernando is injured, Delph is coming back from injury, and we have a youngster being brought through slowly, so Yaya and Zaba were first choice and I had no complaints about them.

4 hours ago, oldgit said:

Only a manager, who's brain is addled, would consider a couple of tortoises like Zabaleta and Toure in the holding midfield role. Surely there must be other options at City?

Its bizarre. So many questions unanswered. Why is Zabaleta in midfield instead of Delph ?

I get the impression Pep is trying to prove something by losing, as crazy as that sounds.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Its bizarre. So many questions unanswered. Why is Zabaleta in midfield instead of Delph ?

I get the impression Pep is trying to prove something by losing, as crazy as that sounds.

What, that he's worth a 20 million pound pay off?

:smile:

I would guess Pep played Zaba over Delph as Delph has just returned to the squad from injury, he's barely played for Pep so trust him less, Zaba does a job, he started his career as a midfield player so knows the job and was excellent vs whu so deserved to keep his place. Not sure why the posts on central midfield as that area wasn't a problem. 

Here's our problem. Take 3 shots, Bravo will concede 2!

Bravo has conceded 14 goals from the last 22 shots he has faced. Bravo has the worst shot to goal ratio in the Premier League. Bravo has faced 54 shots on target in the Premier League and saved 31, meaning he has conceded 42.59 per cent of the shots on his goal.

34 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I would guess Pep played Zaba over Delph as Delph has just returned to the squad from injury, he's barely played for Pep so trust him less, Zaba does a job, he started his career as a midfield player so knows the job and was excellent vs whu so deserved to keep his place. Not sure why the posts on central midfield as that area wasn't a problem. 

I love Zabs but he's not a midfielder. Delph was on the bench so he must be ready to play. He was bought as a box to box midfielder.

I'm so disappointed in Pep and not any less so in City management. Tons and tons of money thrown at players who are not performing as was expected. And this is nothing new.  Glaring problems with the defense from last season and either not addressed or poorly so.  Too many slow and aging footballers in it for the $. Questionable team spirit and cohesiveness.

Pep is puzzling. I posted a while back that he looks like a technocrat with a bad idea. Little to no emotion on the bench save for some sulky moments and a bit of animation directing players on the pitch. And the worst has been his recent interviews. Any manager talking about disappearing, and indicating he won't be found, either can't be taken seriously or is hip deep in feeling sorry for himself.

Hey, I'll take it all back if Pep leads a resurgence this year or it all gets straightened out next season. But at the moment the first act of this play is bombing.

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Only a manager, who's brain is addled, would consider a couple of tortoises like Zabaleta and Toure in the holding midfield role. Surely there must be other options at City?"

To be honest, central midfield and Yaya and Zaba wasn't were we lost the game or battle as we had most of the ball most of the time and were going forwards. We lost the game, and this is a constant theme we don't seem able to address, because we didn't take our chances (as stated above, 'could' have been a different story if the definite pen had been given), we got caught on the counter, johnny bravo seem to go through games without making a save, and consequently everton scored 4 out of 4 chances.

As to central holding midfield, Fernandinho is banned, Fernando is injured, Delph is coming back from injury, and we have a youngster being brought through slowly, so Yaya and Zaba were first choice and I had no complaints about them.

The fact that you"had most of the ball most of the time and were going forward" might be the crux of the problem. You're passing the ball around probing for an opening, little intricate passes when....wallop...you lose the ball and Zabaleta and Toure, a couple of 30 + year olds, are left toiling on the counter, leaving a central defence, low on confidence, and a goalkeeper who's scared of his own shadow, quaking in their boots. 

Guardiola is an excellent coach and manager but new to English football aka the Premier League where games come thick and fast, the difference between clubs at the top and bottom is not the same as in other countries,there are no easy games in the premiership,its the most competitive and physically demanding league in world football (technically we may lag some other countries) and he will take time to adapt as any manager will (OK Conte is doing well in his first season and good luck to him) he will have learnt much from his first season I,m sure and come back stronger for it.

There now a Red asking for patience and understanding for our "noisy neighbours" manager...whatever next :cheesy:

Sometimes when I read some of the comments on these  football forums I wonder actually have the contributors ever actually played the game competitively at any level or does their knowledge and expertise come from sitting in front of the TV screen  :sad:

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Guardiola is an excellent coach and manager but new to English football aka the Premier League where games come thick and fast, the difference between clubs at the top and bottom is not the same as in other countries,there are no easy games in the premiership,its the most competitive and physically demanding league in world football (technically we may lag some other countries) and he will take time to adapt as any manager will (OK Conte is doing well in his first season and good luck to him) he will have learnt much from his first season I,m sure and come back stronger for it.

There now a Red asking for patience and understanding for our "noisy neighbours" manager...whatever next :cheesy:

Sometimes when I read some of the comments on these  football forums I wonder actually have the contributors ever actually played the game competitively at any level or does their knowledge and expertise come from sitting in front of the TV screen  :sad:

I think the EPL is putting a big question mark over that comment, "excellent coach".

Plenty of managers have done well in their first season, Pellers won it for City, Mourinho at Chelsea, Poch led Southampton to the highest league position in 20 odd years in his first season half season, likewise Mancini at City etc etc.

Edited by BangrakBob

Bravo needs to be replaced Pronto and PG needs to take responsibility and make amends immediately. If he does not recognise that mistake the owners should be wondering. He replaced proven experience in the PL with unproven and most likely due to nothing more than a personality clash. Akin to moyes replacing  the back room at UTD.

2 hours ago, petermik said:

To be fair his first mistake was not recognizing that they needed some new defenders and cover for def mid, now that's got nothing to do with being his first season !

38 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I think the EPL is putting a big question mark over that comment, "excellent coach".

Plenty of managers have done well in their first season, Pellers won it for City, Mourinho at Chelsea, Poch led Southampton to the highest league position in 20 odd years in his first season half season, likewise Mancini at City etc etc.

Fark me Bob you've changed your tune about City, what was you saying after about 6 games ?  and having a pop at me when i said that they ain't played anyone decent yet :passifier: :biggrin:

• Like 1

^"
Plenty of managers have done well in their first season, Pellers won it for City, Mourinho at Chelsea, Poch led Southampton to the highest league position in 20 odd years in his first season half season, likewise Mancini at City etc etc."

Confused Bob, are you saying Guardiola and the 4 you mention aren't excellent coach and manager?

good point made on the irish times second captains podcast - if claudio bravo was signed because he's very good with his feet but apparently can't save any shots, has guardiola considered looking into whether john stones is any good with his hands?

^"Bravo needs to be replaced Pronto and PG needs to take responsibility and make amends immediately. If he does not recognise that mistake the owners should be wondering. He replaced proven experience in the PL with unproven and most likely due to nothing more than a personality clash."

Finally we agree on something.

My take on Pep vs Hart is Pep targetted the 2 biggest characters in Hart and Yaya in order to show you do things my way.

25 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^"Bravo needs to be replaced Pronto and PG needs to take responsibility and make amends immediately. If he does not recognise that mistake the owners should be wondering. He replaced proven experience in the PL with unproven and most likely due to nothing more than a personality clash."

Finally we agree on something.

My take on Pep vs Hart is Pep targetted the 2 biggest characters in Hart and Yaya in order to show you do things my way.

Reminds me of some Utd keeper decisions. Fortunately for Utd fans, Fergie had the balls to get rid very quickly.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^"
Plenty of managers have done well in their first season, Pellers won it for City, Mourinho at Chelsea, Poch led Southampton to the highest league position in 20 odd years in his first season half season, likewise Mancini at City etc etc."

Confused Bob, are you saying Guardiola and the 4 you mention aren't excellent coach and manager?

Petermik was using the first season as an excuse for PG, i'm saying plenty of coaches succeeded in their first season and used those 4 as an example.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Fark me Bob you've changed your tune about City, what was you saying after about 6 games ?  and having a pop at me when i said that they ain't played anyone decent yet :passifier: :biggrin:

I only said he is being questioned now, not that he was rubbish. Other than that I have no idea what you are taking about :whistling: :biggrin:

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Guardiola has never actually had to build a team.  His efforts so far suggest he isn't as good at it at people think.

The only question is will Shiekh Rattle and Roll give him time? Bear in mind he'd already organised this manager before he told the previous one.

Pep will probably already be planning what he's going to spend his redundancy money on.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Guardiola has never actually had to build a team.  His efforts so far suggest he isn't as good at it at people think.

possibly not---but if you had to build a team...having hold of  Sheikh Mansour cheque book, would not be a disadvantage.........:coffee1:

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

possibly not---but if you had to build a team...having hold of  Sheikh Mansour cheque book, would not be a disadvantage.........:coffee1:

Yes, but how big a cheque is he allowed to write between now and the end of the window?

Perhaps if one is not forthcoming it could be a sign of things to come...

7 hours ago, Chicog said:

The only question is will Shiekh Rattle and Roll give him time? Bear in mind he'd already organised this manager before he told the previous one.

Pep will probably already be planning what he's going to spend his redundancy money on.

Spot on post.

Truth is City are doomed this season.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

The sheik will give him time I think but if he is given time so will the other catalan contingent they brought on for leadership. It would need to be a shocking season for all those changes to occur.