Manchester City

mrbojangles

this is good:

Stallone flattered by new Man City owner’s offer of goalkeeper position

“Escape to Victory was just a movie” he tells confused Emirati billionaire as Arab consortium continue hunt for “World’s Best XI”

http://www.london-<deleted>.com/?page_id=86

After launching an audacious £135m bid for Ronaldo yesterday, Manchester City’s new Dubai-based owners have pushed the ambition envelope with 2 new major developments on transfer deadline day.

At 2pm reports emerged from West Hollywood that potato -faced star Sylvester Stallone had been approached by City with a lucrative offer to become the club’s first choice goalkeeper. The new Emirati owners were understood to have watched and admired his Nazi-fighting goalkeeping prowess in the John Huston’s 1981 classic Escape to Victory and were keen to see him reprise the role at the City of Manchester stadium.

Having been re-buffed with Stallone citing his disdain for keeping goal and indeed “that dopey limey sport” in general, City’s new Chairmen unveiled later in the afternoon the ‘City World XI’ they were hoping to procure in the January transfer window whilst also citing their certainty that Mr Stallone would change his mind.

See below and click on the pic for the full World XI…

______

That's good, maybe they can get Mr Cane to assist Hughes with coaching it.

From the city web site:-

Shaun set for Saturday homecoming

Shaun Wright-Philips’ scriptwriter has the perfect homecoming in store for the little maestro, according to Mark Hughes.

City fans have had a long wait to see their hero back on home soil in a sky blue shirt since he returned to the Blues two weeks ago, and following his two-goal comeback at the Stadium of Light, he is now all set to play the club where he endured a frustrating three years.

Defender Tal Ben Haim also swapped London for Manchester during the summer, but Hughes does not see Saturday as an opportunity for the pair to put one over on Chelsea.

“I don’t think they have anything to prove,” he declares. “Everyone knows that Shaun is an exceptionally talented footballer, and we are delighted that he is back.

“He made a huge impact against Sunderland, and you could not have written that script any better. It was great for him, and I know that he is really excited about going up against Chelsea at the weekend, as we all are.

“He is going to get a fantastic reception, his homecoming in the media has possibly been overshadowed a little bit by the Robinho transfer, but come Saturday I think you will see Shaun get an outstanding reception. “

The 5.30pm kick off is a complete sell-out, and the world’s media have also taken a huge interest in the game, even possibly at the expense of the Liverpool-Man United game on Saturday lunchtime.

“I know that there’s huge interest in this game, and by all accounts there’s another quite large game going on the same day that this one has possibly superceded!” Hughes laughs.

“I don’t think that has happened on too many occasions, but our profile is huge at the moment and we are looking forward to it. There are stories surrounding this game from every angle for each club, but one of the main reasons I came here was that I knew that there would be that interest and anticipation leading into big games like this.”

That Hughes also had a successful stint with the London Blues in the 1990s also adds to the mix, as he acknowledges:

“It’s a great club, as a kid I was a Chelsea fan and I was so pleased to go there. I had three great years with them, it was an exciting time at Stamford Bridge and I enjoyed my stay there.”

Hughes: I'm the boss at City

Updated: September 12, 2008, 8:42 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Mark Hughes insists he will have the final say over football matters at Manchester City despite the takeover of the club by the mega-rich Abu Dhabi United group.

FriedemannVogel/GettyImages

Mark Hughes: In charge at City.

The takeover has provided Hughes with a vast transfer kitty to spend and the City manager says he controls which players are signed for the squad.

Hughes said: ''Football matters are my department, those are decisions that I make. That's what I have been told and that is what I expect.

''I have been assured that football matters are my remit and that is the way that it should be.

''From the discussions I have had with them, they would appear to regard myself and my staff as an asset.''

City come up against Chelsea tomorrow in what is being termed the ''clash of the cash'', and Brazilian superstar Robinho is expected to make his debut.

Hughes said Robinho had made a point of saying how much he was looking forward to facing the club who came close to signing him from Real Madrid - only to be gazumped by City's £32.5million bid.

''On the day I met him in London 10 days ago, one of the first things he said was that he can't wait for the game because he can't wait to play against Chelsea, so that's a good sign,'' said Hughes.

''The one impression everyone has of Robinho is that as soon as he gets the ball you sense something is going to happen and I think everyone will see that at the weekend.''

Hughes said the fixtures computer could not have thrown up a better match to set pulses racing.

He added: ''I know it's being billed as the 'clash of the cash'.

''We are really looking forward to getting back to playing football and the fixture against Chelsea is a fantastic one for us, it's the perfect game for us given the circumstances.''

Hughes will not have Martin Petrov available as the Bulgarian is out with a knee injury but Micah Richards could be available after recovering from a shoulder injury. Michael Johnson (groin) is also doubtful.

Shaun Wright-Phillips will also make his first appearance at Eastlands since returning to City from Chelsea.

Hughes said: ''Everyone knows that Shaun is an exceptionally talented footballer, and we are delighted that he is back.

''I know that he is really excited about going up against Chelsea.''

We totally dominated this game from the 1st minute, Man U, just give us the trophy back now!

Man City 1-3 Chelsea

Robinho marked his Manchester City debut with a goal - but Chelsea spoiled the party with an impressive win to stay top of the Premier League.

The £32.5m Brazilian put City ahead with a 20-yard free-kick after 13 minutes, but Ricardo Carvalho levelled for Chelsea three minutes later.

Frank Lampard's superb strike put Chelsea ahead after 53 minutes and Nicolas Anelka slid in a third.

Chelsea's only disappointment was a red card for John Terry for a foul on Jo.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side demonstrated exactly what Robinho might have missed out on by snubbing Chelsea for City, showing that they are in a different class to a side still under reconstruction by boss Mark Hughes.

But the sending off of Terry cast a real cloud over the win, ruling him out of next Sunday's game with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

Robinho was swift to demonstrate why he was at the centre of a bidding war between these two clubs when he gave City an early lead.

City were awarded a free-kick when Carvalho clipped Jo, and Robinho sent Eastlands wild with a clipped free-kick from 20 yards that beat Petr Cech via a deflection off Jon Obi Mikel.

Chelsea's response was emphatic as they drew level inside three minutes to silence the City celebrations.

Lampard's corner was met by Terry's header, and when a rebound off Joe Cole fell kindly for Carvalho, he lashed an unstoppable finish past Joe Hart.

Chelsea were then in the ascendancy, with Florent Malouda heading Joe Cole's cross against the bar and Hart saving well from Anelka after a dreadful clearance from Pablo Zabaleta.

City had moments of their own, with striker Jo seeing a shot deflected wide and Stephen Ireland shooting just over - but Chelsea were looking very impressive.

It was no surprise when they took the lead after 53 minutes as the outstanding Lampard capped a wonderful flowing move with a left-foot finish that flew low beyond Hart into the bottom corrner.

Carvalho - a goal hero at one end - then made a brilliant tackle to stop Ireland before Anelka effectively wrapped up with win after 69 minutes.

Joe Cole showed great guile to slide in a perfect pass behind City's defence and Anelka swooped to slip a cool finish beyond Hart.

Chelsea's smooth progress towards victory was interrupted when Terry received the first straight red card of his career with 13 minutes left.

He was guilty of a cynical foul on Jo, but the City striker still had a long way to go to goal and Carvalho was in close attendance, making it a contentious call by referee Mark Halsey.

City showed plenty of spirit, but it was Chelsea who had the class and fully deserved the victory.

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Michael Ball (Sturridge 84), Wright-Phillips, Hamann (Gelson 61), Kompany, Ireland, Robinho, Jo.

Subs Not Used: Schmeichel, Elano, Garrido, Evans, Ben-Haim.

Goals: Robinho 13.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Obi, Lampard, Deco, Joe Cole (Belletti 70), Anelka (Alex 79), Malouda (Drogba 70).

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Ivanovic, Bridge, Kalou.

Sent Off: Terry (77).

Booked: Obi.

Goals: Carvalho 16, Lampard 53, Anelka 69.

Att: 47,331

Ref: Mark Halsey (Lancashire).

Good win Seapok. But i'm not disheartened. To say our new boys haven't played with each other and really only met up on friday, i think alot of positives came out of that game. And if we had have been playing anyone else, i'm sure we would have beaten any team. Chelsea look a class act at the moment.

Good win Seapok. But i'm not disheartened. To say our new boys haven't played with each other and really only met up on friday, i think alot of positives came out of that game. And if we had have been playing anyone else, i'm sure we would have beaten any team. Chelsea look a class act at the moment.

Agree completely, Mr BJ. Pity it wasn't Man U they were playing yesterday.

It was a good game to watch, end to end action, funny watching Robinho kissing the city badge so soon! I must say SWP's free role seems to be benefiting his performance, he could be a better signing than the Brazilian :o

From the BEEB:-

Man City deny Ronaldo speculation

Manchester City have rejected Brazil striker Ronaldo's claims that he is on the verge of joining his compatriot Robinho at Eastlands.

The 31-year-old three-time world player of the year, currently recovering from a serious knee injury, is a free agent after leaving AC Milan in the summer.

Ronaldo was quoted as saying City had made "the best offer I've received".

However, a City spokesman said the club met Ronaldo's representatives but chose not to follow up their interest.

"We had shown a past interest in bringing the player to the football club in the right circumstances and spoke to him and his representatives," revealed the spokesman.

"However, we have chosen not to pursue the matter."

The former Barcelona, Real Madrid and AC Milan forward has been plagued by injury problems in recent seasons and has not played since he ruptured a knee ligament while turning out for Milan in February.

But the French surgeons who operated on his left knee have said Ronaldo could be fit to play after two to three months of heavy work-outs to build up the strength in his leg.

Ronaldo said he could help make City "one of the best clubs in the world" and predicted a partnership with Robinho could yield 50 goals in the Premier League.

"I like the project that City presented me," said Ronaldo, who has been training with Brazilian club Flamengo.

"It's the best offer I've received and it will be interesting to play with Robinho."

City stunned the football world with the £32.5m record signing of Robinho from Real Madrid and the club's new owners Abu Dhabi United Group have spoken about bringing several world-class players to Eastlands.

Liverpool's Fernando Torres, Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas and Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo are some of the names that City's owners have revealed they want to sign.

From the city site:-

Vincent happy in good Kompany

After turning in some quality performances already in a City shirt, Vincent Kompany believes the big results aren’t far away following Saturday’s game against Chelsea.

Despite losing the game 3-1, City more than held their own until tiredness crept in during the second half and Chelsea moved into top gear, but the 22-year-old remained upbeat in defeat.

Speaking after the game the Belgian international said: “It’s going to be difficult against every big team of the top four.

“I’m sure that we will improve through the season and we’ve shown some good things already since the beginning of the season.

“I’m looking forward to what’s going to happen and I think it’s going to be interesting to see when we play those teams again. We are definitely a team of the future.”

And as for the here and now, the recent signing from Hamburg has made three City starts and impressed with his passing, tackling and mobility around the pitch.

So how does he feel he’s settled in? “I love it. I love the Premier League and I’m happy because I had the feeling as soon as I came here that I’d made the right decision.

“If you look at the players coming in, the hard and fantastic work that Mark Hughes is doing, I’m very confident that the big results will come with time. I think we’ve shown the signs that there is something here.

“The Premier League is a long season and in the end you get judged on what you’ve done all season.

“At the moment I’ve only played three games for City and two good games for the national team as well.

“My performance depends on the performance of the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips and Robinho as well as other players and in turn theirs impact on mine.

“If the team continue to do well then we should be in for a very good season.”

From the sun:-

Upbeat Blues will challenge says Wenger

ARSENE WENGER has admitted moneybags Manchester City could gatecrash the Champions League party this season.

Arsenal have been regulars in the competition in recent years and launch their campaign with a difficult trip to Dynamo Kiev on Wednesday.

But boss Wenger is wary of the new-found wealth at Eastlands and knows players signed in the January transfer window could have a bigger impact on the season.

And that could spell bad news for the big four, who have had things virtually all their own way in the last three years.

Wenger said: “This year other surprise teams could come into it like Manchester City or Tottenham or Portsmouth. It is certainly very interesting and very tight.

“Manchester City have an advantage because they do pay a lot of money.

"This year, for the first time, the January transfer window opens when we will have only played 19 games.

"I have played seasons here when there were 24 games before then — the second part of the season is longer now.

“Teams can get that little bit more balance by buying players in the transfer window.”

Johnson pens City deal

Midfield ace gets five-year contract

Michael Johnson has ended speculation about his future by signing a new contract at Manchester City.

The England Under-21 star has been locked in talks with City for a number of weeks about a new deal.

The likes of Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool and Aston Villa had all been strongly linked with the player, but he has now decided to stay put.

With City on the brink of a new era with the Abu Dhabi-based United Group for Development and Investment set to take control of the club, Johnson has opted to commit his future to the Eastlands outfit.

City have now finalised the terms and Johnson has signed a five-year deal

Omonia Nicosia v Man City

Uefa Cup first round, first leg

Venue: GSP, Nicosia Date: Thursday, 18 September Kick-off: 1800 BST

Injured winger Martin Petrov will miss Manchester City's Uefa Cup first-leg match at Omonia Nicosia on Thursday.

The Bulgarian winger has failed to recover from a hamstring injury and is staying at home for further treatment.

Michael Johnson, who has signed a new five-year contract, remains doubtful with a groin problem but travelled to Cyprus with the rest of the squad.

Record £32.5m signing Robinho is also in the party after scoring on his debut in the defeat by Chelsea.

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes:

"The games are coming thick and fast at the moment and I have to be mindful of that.

"We will have to use the squad because it's a big ask going into European games, Carling Cup games and some very difficult Premier League games.

"If we have to use all of the squad then we will do, but that is what being a Premier League player is all about."

From skysports:-

Omonia 1 - 2 Man City

Jo at the double for City

Brazilian's brace sees Blues come from behind

Manchester City came from behind to secure a 2-1 win over Omonia Nicosia in their Uefa Cup opener.

Omonia had gone in front through Klodian Duro, but a brace from Jo ensured City will take a crucial lead into the second leg of the first round contest.

City were left cursing their luck during a lively first half as they created the best of the openings.

Brazilian striker Jo somehow failed to connect with a Stephen Ireland cross midway through the half, while he later struck the post with a low drive.

Ireland was then denied by the woodwork himself as he failed to squeeze the ball home from the tightest of angles.

The goals did arrive after the break, but it was the hosts who struck first just four minutes in when Duro powered a free-kick into the top corner.

Having endured a frustrating first half, Jo then made amends 10 minutes later when he bundled home a Shaun Wright-Phillips cross

On 72 minutes the South American forward then completed the scoring when he fired a neat left-foot effort into the bottom corner.

Duro crashed a long-range effort off the bar as Omonia looked for a reply, but none was forthcoming.

Mark Hughes was looking for his side to get a quick foothold in the tie after they struggled to beat the Danes of FC Midtjylland in the last round.

City almost made the breakthrough in the second minute when Robinho found space in the penalty area.

The £32.5million buy from Real Madrid rattled in a shot that goalkeeper Antonis Giorgallides did well to parry to safety.

City kept up the pressure and Ireland saw his effort go over the crossbar after Robinho and Pablo Zabaleta had linked up.

Omonia were again forced on the back foot in the 15th minute and Wright-Phillips' shot from the edge of the area was turned around the post by the goalkeeper.

City squandered a glorious chance of taking the lead in the 27th minute when Ireland squared the ball across the face of the area and into the path of Jo.

However, with the goal gaping, the Brazilian appeared to take his eye off the ball and he sliced his effort wide.

Elano then skipped forward in the 39th minute only for Hamad Ndikumana to block his effort.

A minute later Jo came within inches of giving City the lead when his shot beat the goalkeeper but came back off the post.

It was Ireland's turn to curse his luck in the 43rd minute after being set up by Jo, his effort also coming back off the woodwork.

But City were stunned in the 49th minute when Omonia opened the scoring.

Albania midfielder Duro sent the home fans into a frenzy with a stunning free-kick from 18 yards that whistled past Joe Hart.

City roared back, but Jo was again wasteful in the 55th minute after a one-on-one with the goalkeeper, his shot coming back off the crossbar.

City drew level four minutes later after cutting the Omonia defence apart with a swift counter-attack.

Wright-Phillips raced to the byline and released Jo, who made no mistake with his first goal for the club following his £19million move from CSKA Moscow.

That stunned the crowd and it was no more than City deserved given the amount of possession they had enjoyed with no reward.

City then went ahead in the 72nd minute thanks to Jo's second goal to put them firmly in the driving seat.

The big striker made no mistake from close range after getting on the end of a cross from Zabaleta.

Man City v Portsmouth

Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson is a doubtful starter because of a groin injury.

Manager Mark Hughes could shuffle his squad, but Martin Petrov remains sidelined with a groin problem.

Portsmouth may rest wingers Armand Traore and John Utaka, so Younes Kaboul and Papa Bouba Diop could return.

Ben Sahar has a knee injury, Niko Kranjcar (ankle) and Jerome Thomas (back) are still out so fit-again Glen Little may make the starting line-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man City (from): Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Ball, Ben Haim, Johnson, Ireland, Kompany, Wright-Phillips, Robinho, Elano, Jo, Garrido, Schmeichel, Fernandes, Hamann, Evans, Sturridge, Etuhu, Glauber.

Portsmouth (from: James, Johnson, Kaboul, Campbell, Distin, Belhadj, Little, Diop, Diarra, Davis, Hughes, Mvuemba, Defoe, Crouch, Hreidarsson, Kanu, Nugent, Lauren, A Traore, Utaka, Ashdown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man City manager Mark Hughes:

"The key message is that if you are good enough you will prosper here.

"Michael Johnson, Micah Richards and Daniel Sturridge are players who all have a real feeling for the club. I believe that is important if you want to progress."

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp:

"They will be very strong. I saw what team they put out in Cyprus and they have bags of ability.

"Last year Elano, the Brazilian, was the big arrival and now suddenly you've also got two more - you've got Robinho, you've got Jo, full of flair, and also Shaun Wright-Phillips.

"But we're in good form, three wins in a row now, and although it will be a tough game we'll have a go at them and be positive and attacking as we can."

Close game today then Mr B??? :o

Man City 6-0 Portsmouth

Swaggering Manchester City turned on the style with a devastating display of attacking football to crush Portsmouth at a buoyant Eastlands.

Jo slotted City into the lead before Richard Dunne bundled in the second.

Influential Stephen Ireland made two superb passes to set up clinical strikes for Robinho and a rejuvenated Shaun Wright-Phillips after half-time.

Substitute Ched Evans finished off a great team move for the fifth before Gelson Fernandes completed the rout.

Both clubs came into the match having won two and lost two of their first four Premier League games - but the task facing Portsmouth appeared greater as City boss Mark Hughes selected the attacking Brazilian trio of Elano, Jo and British transfer record signing Robinho.

On the day that City announced the date for the formal takeover of the club by the Abu Dhabi United Group - 23 September - the club's new chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, was

unveiled to fans just before kick-off.And he did not have to wait long to be entertained.

Within two minutes £18m Brazilian forward Jo fed £32.5m Robinho who had Pompey keeper David James stretching at full-length to push his wicked curling shot away.

Ten minutes later, the pair linked up again with Robinho cleverly switching the play to pass into the path of the onrushing Wright-Phillips only for the alert James to race out and block the little winger's shot with a smart block.

With Wright-Phillips in a rampant mood, City were attacking in vibrant waves despite the busy efforts of Lassana Diarra in protecting the visitor's defence at the base of midfield.

City were running riot and took the lead in the 13th minute when Robinho played a clever pass into space for Jo who, timing his run to perfection against Portsmouth's high back-line, rounded James on the edge of the box and rolled the ball into an empty net.

Striker Peter Crouch should have done better from a header after 20 minutes but Portsmouth were too busy trying to stem the tide to really threaten themselves.

Two minutes later City were two up.

Elano swung in a low corner and, with the near post unprotected, James had to scramble across to save only for Richard Dunne, on his 29th birthday, to scramble the ball home from three yards despite the attentions of Sol Campbell.

Portsmouth right-back Glen Johnson then put in a low cross from the right and Crouch stepped behind Richard Dunne to fire his shot inches wide of the post, but he should have tested under-worked City keeper Joe Hart.

Ireland was a growing influence in City's midfield and he fed Robinho, who was showing his full array of tricks, for the Brazilian to test James with a snap-shot.

Argentine international Pablo Zabaleta had to clear a Campbell header off the line just before half-time but that was a rare scare for City.

Their imperious swagger continued and 10 minutes after the break they put the game beyond doubt.

Ireland, a product of City's famed youth academy, lofted a clever ball over static centre-back Distin and Jo muscled his way onto the ball to feed Robinho who clinically curled the ball past James just inside the post from 15 yards.

Ten minutes later City were four up after Ireland slotted a sumptuous low pass through for Wright-Phillips to power a high shot past James' inside post for third goal in his second spell back with the club.

Ched Evans replaced Jo minutes later and was soon on the scoresheet as City's confidence soared.

Elano sent a pass out wide for Robinho to spin onto and the Brazilian attacked the byline to pass into the box for Wright-Phillips.

His audacious back-heel totally flummoxed Pompey's defence and Evans was able to finish with ease from 10 yards.

The rout was completed late on when Javier Garrido's cross from the left was fumbled by James as Wright-Phillips pressured and Fernandes bundled home the loose ball into an empty net.

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Richards, Dunne, Garrido, Kompany, Wright-Phillips, Ireland (Gelson 77), Elano, Robinho (Sturridge 85), Jo (Evans 71).

Subs Not Used: Schmeichel, Michael Ball, Hamann, Ben-Haim.

Goals: Jo 13, Dunne 20, Robinho 57, Wright-Phillips 68, Evans 78, Gelson 83.

Portsmouth: James, Johnson (Pamarot 82), Distin, Campbell, Belhadj, Diarra, Davis (Diop 33), Kaboul (Utaka 46), Armand Traore, Crouch, Defoe.

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Hreidarsson, Mvuemba, Kanu.

Booked: Diarra.

Att: 40,238

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

Happy days are back!!!What a superb all round performance from City.Honestly,i cant see a weak link in the team and the balance/set up is just right.I honestly cant remeber a better performance.Stevie iRELAND WAS EXCEPTIONAL,a truly world class performance.SWP,and Rob were also superb.Question for you Mr Bo,where do you see Martin Petrov slotting back into the team if indeed he does!!Personally i think Robs best position is on the left and with SWP down the right i thought the balance of the team was spot on.

Happy days are back!!!What a superb all round performance from City.Honestly,i cant see a weak link in the team and the balance/set up is just right.I honestly cant remeber a better performance.Stevie iRELAND WAS EXCEPTIONAL,a truly world class performance.SWP,and Rob were also superb.Question for you Mr Bo,where do you see Martin Petrov slotting back into the team if indeed he does!!Personally i think Robs best position is on the left and with SWP down the right i thought the balance of the team was spot on.

they were only playing pompey ,lets see what they do against liverpool man u and the likes

they were only playing pompey ,lets see what they do against liverpool man u and the likes

Yes we will see lazeeboy but we can only play the team we are playing andf Liverpool only managed to draw against Stoke after beating United, that's what makes the game so good. The fact you say " only playing Pompey" shows how little you know about football. Pompey are a VERY difficult team to get points from.

Question for you Mr Bo,where do you see Martin Petrov slotting back into the team if indeed he does!!Personally i think Robs best position is on the left and with SWP down the right i thought the balance of the team was spot on.

I still think Petrov has a very important place tot, especially with the amount of games coming up. To have depth in the squad is nice but to have quality in depth is something we haven't seen for years. It's a nice headache for Hughes to have and i'm sure he'll try his best to keep all the players happy. I thought the sacrificial lamb would have been Elano, but Hughes'y played him yesterday. The good thing about some of the players we have now, is their versatility.

City owner backing Hughes

Sheikh Mansour gives manager full support

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has insisted that Mark Hughes is 'integral' to his plans for Manchester City.

The Abu Dhabi United Group will officially complete their takeover of the Premier League club on Tuesday after a deal was agreed at the start of the month.

There has been speculation about what the future will hold for City but Sheikh Mansour has assured Hughes that he has the Abu Dhabi United Group's full support.

"Mark Hughes is absolutely integral to our plans," he said in a statement.

"We're lucky to have someone who we believe is the best young British manager.

"He's been successful on the global stage, the Premier League and, of course, as a player."

Hughes is happy that his new bosses have realistic expectations for what can be achieved and Sheikh Mansour has backed up such a view.

Sheikh Mansour is prepared to give Hughes time and has promised the manager that he will have the final say in which players he wants to try and sign.

He explained: "We're ambitious for the club but understand it takes time to build a team capable of sustaining a presence in the top four of the Premier League and winning European honours.

"We consider Mark to be one of the prime assets of the club. We will back his judgement in what players to bring in and we look forward to working more closely with him in the future.

"We are building a structure for the club, not just a team of all-stars.

"We hope the securing of Robinho as a Manchester City player during the transfer window is seen as a signal of our very real intent."

From the city website. I think a good, honest interview with the new chairman and personally, i'm really happy that they're going to invest in the Academy.

Exciting future for City eyed by new owners

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the Chairman (designate) of Manchester City, has outlined an exciting vision for the future of the Club with Manager Mark Hughes and the Youth Academy at the heart of his plans.

Mr Mubarak will become Chairman of the Club later on today (Tuesday 23rd September) when the takeover of Manchester City Football Club Ltd by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan and his group, announced on Sunday, will be completed.

Speaking of the takeover of the Club, Mr Mubarak says:

“We’re extremely happy, we’re delighted that we are now part of Manchester City. We think that this is a wonderful club with a tremendous history and heritage. Our investment is one for the future.

“I spent a couple of days visiting Carrington and going to the Academy, I was there all of Sunday morning and I watched the under 14, under 12 and under 9 sides. One thing that I think is important and that I want to emphasise straight away, is that the Academy is a priority. We need to invest in the Academy and we will continue to develop it. It makes business sense and from a community perspective there is no question about the impact it has on the community. From the business perspective, the future of this Club is to continue to produce talents like Micah Richards, Michael Johnson and Shaun Wright-Phillips. This is very important to us, and we are really going to commit to the Academy.”

The new owners have pledged their full support for Executive Chairman Garry Cook and Mark Hughes, as Mr Mubarak continues:

“I can’t say enough about Garry Cook, he’s a wonderful chap, we are committed to him and we are going to support him fully. Mark Hughes is as good as they get and we are backing him all the way. He makes the football decisions and we are here to learn, and we want to hear from the fans and the community. We want to bring this Club back to the community and to the fans.

“A lot has happened over the last couple of weeks, we are genuine people, and we want to develop this Club in a sustainable manner. Nothing rash is going to happen, we are not going to do crazy stuff! We will work with Gary and Mark, they call the shots and we are here to support to help build a sustainable Club. We are here as long-term investors, and it makes sense for us to build a dynasty. Between Mark and Garry, I think we have a dynasty in the making. With our backing, with the commitment we are going to make to the Academy in the next 10 years there is going to be a tremendous period for Manchester City and for us. And I think we are going to have a blast doing it!”

Mr Mubarak will head a new board of directors at the Club, which he explains will be formally announced soon.

“I will be Chairman, and over the next days and weeks we will come out with an announcement about how the board will be structured. We will bring top-notch individuals to the board. To run a good company you need a strong board.

“Sheikh Mansour is absolutely delighted, he is a huge fan of football and of Manchester City and he asked me to take on this role on his behalf. I’m a big football fan myself and when he asked it took me about a second to decide! He will come to games and I will as often as I can. This Club will be run professionally and we want to sit & support from the side.”

Reiterating that Mark Hughes will call the shots on the football side of things, Mr Mubarak continues:

“One thing I have made very clear to Mark is that any player he wants comes from him. It comes from his requirements, his plan for the Club. I’m a fan, but I am not an expert. It is Mark who runs the Club and Mark who makes the football decisions. We are here to support and make financial decisions, but we are not here to teach Mark or Garry what to do! They are the professionals, we trust them, we have confidence in them and we are going to support them.

“Mark is an honest man, he’s a leader , he’s tough and he is everything you would want in a head coach. We trust him, he’s one of the gems we saw in this Club once we came here.

“We are reasonable and pragmatic, we are looking 10 years ahead starting today and I think all our decisions will be with a long term perspective. We trust Mark, we trust his judgement, we are patient and we understand this Club needs to develop. We obviously want City to be a top club and to win trophies, that’s our objective. If it takes ‘x’ amount of years, I don’t know. Mark will put a plan together to win trophies, but we will be patient. As long as it is being managed properly and the players are doing what they need to do, then it will take whatever it takes.

“We are sensible people, and when it comes to a lot of the talk that has been around recently, forget everything that has been said in the past. We are sensible people and we are investors who have invested in this Club and will continue to do so, as long as it has the right pay-off for us and as long as it delivers results. For us to be happy, this Club has to be successful, and within a period of time competing at the highest level and hopefully winning trophies. At the same time, we will bring in the talent from the Academy and that talent has a value. We’re convinced of the business case here that in the long-term will pay off. That’s the bottom line.

As well as meeting Mark Hughes and his staff at Carrington, Mr Mubarak has also spent time at Platt Lane with Academy Manager Jim Cassell as he explains:

“That was one of my most enjoyable experiences. Sitting with Jim, seeing his passion, seeing how proud he is of every player that has come out of the Academy. I have the highest confidence in him, we’ll be working a lot with him.

“We want to learn from the model that has been so successful here. My mandate from Sheikh Mansour was to spend as much time as I could with the Academy, and I have promised him that’s what I am going to do. I have promised him that I’ll do what I can to ensure that this Academy is the best not just in England, but in Europe.”

And Mr Mubarak concluded by saying:

“The watchwords are patient, committed, and long term. If you look at Sheikh Mansour’s track record and Abu Dhabi’s track record in general, they are always sensible investors, well regarded by everyone.”

Brighton v Man City preview

Seagulls take on billionaire-backed Eastlands outfit

League One side Brighton & Hove Albion take on Premier League club Manchester City in the second round of the Carling Cup.

The round two tie takes place on Wednesday at Withdean Stadium after it was initially delayed due to City's Uefa Cup commitments last month.

The home side have struggled for form in recent weeks and will be looking for a positive display when they lock horns with Mark Hughes' outfit.

Brighton faired poorly in the competition last season after they were knocked out in the first round.

City, meanwhile, reached the quarter-finals only to lose to eventual winners Tottenham Hotspur.

Seagulls boss Micky Adams is sweating over the fitness of captain Nicky Forster, who is struggling to shake off a dead leg.

Winger Kevin McLeod and defender Colin Hawkins are both unavailable with knee and hernia injuries respectively.

Defender Joel Lynch, who handed in a transfer request for the second time this season on Monday, has also been ruled out after being deemed in the wrong frame of mind.

Adams is, however, boosted by the return of on-loan winger Joe Anyinsah from suspension while striker Jake Robinson (concussion) is likely to again take a place on the bench with midfielder Adam Virgo set to play in attack for a second successive game.

City, boosted by the completion of their takeover on Wednesday, are without British record signing Robinho as he is currently involved in settling his family in England.

Michael Johnson is back in the squad following a groin injury, however midfielder Martin Petrov remains sidelined with a similar problem.

Nedum Onuoha has resumed training after a knee injury but the game on the South Coast will come too soon for him.

'

Nothing about the result yet Mr BJ. :o

(I know, Iknow. Yeah something similar happened to United against Coventry last year. so I'll tiptoe quietly out of here.....)

I think the problem was they were watching their backs.......there's something about Brighton that keeps you on your toes :D

'

Nothing about the result yet Mr BJ. :o

(I know, Iknow. Yeah something similar happened to United against Coventry last year. so I'll tiptoe quietly out of here.....)

I think the problem was they were watching their backs.......there's something about Brighton that keeps you on your toes :D

With all that money as well, and we still do you!!!! :D