Manchester City

mrbojangles

Here's your big signing....!

Hughes targets South American Player of the Year – Veron

Author: Nigel Brown

Posted on: 23 January 2009 - 16:13

Former Manchester United and Chelsea midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron is reportedly a target for Manchester City boss Mark Hughes, according to reports in Argentina.

Hughes is desperate to bolster his squad with experience and talent in his quest to avoid relegation, and raise the status of Manchester City. Reports in South America suggest Hughes has made contact with Estudiantes de la Plata to enquire about the availability of Veron. A short term loan move is rumoured to be Hughed favoured option.

The Estudiantes de la Plata captain was crowned the South American footballer of the year, beating off Boca Juniors midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme by three votes, and the former Lazio great declared he still has a big future in football.

He said: "I have lots of projects and objectives at the moment. This prize is a great honour, I'm very proud, because it is a recognition for all the dedication and love that I put into what I do."

"I want to win an international title with Estudiantes and to return to the Argentine national team."

Commenting on the Argentine World Cup qualification campaign he said:

“Paraguay are doing things very well, and they will surely be in the World Cup. Brazil and Argentina will follow them.”

“Then it is difficult, but I think Uruguay can earn fourth spot and qualify directly to South Africa 2010, and Chile in fifth place, and they will take part in the playoff,”

redrus

January 21, 2009

Garry Cook extravaganza

post-16343-1232733350_thumb.jpg

Garry_cook_and_mark_hughes

Gabriele Marcotti-The Times Online

4. So, according to Garry Cook, chief executive of Manchester City, Kaka did not move to Eastlands primarily for two reasons: AC Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father, Bosco, "failed to grasp" the complexity of the "project" Cook laid out for him.

Let's take closer look, shall we?

Milan gave City permission to speak to Kaka. They agreed a deal for the player with the club. They were ready to let Kaka go if he reached a deal with City. That's a fact which no amount of spin and historical revisionism is going to change. All that was left was for Cook to convince Kaka.

As for Bosco, according to Cook, the negotiation was just "too sophisticated" for him. Cook outlined his project, which apparently involved three lawyers poring over Kaka's numerous endorsement contracts (most of whom would be voided or renegotiated if he left Milan) and explaining to Bosco how he could earn many times that amount if Kaka embraced City's "project". Bosco, apparently, wasn't interested in all that. He wanted a simple answer: if my son joins your club, how much will he earn and what will you do with him? Cook says he tried to answer those questions but Bosco simply failed to understand him.

Maybe it's just me, but it strikes me that if you're going to go out and break a world transfer record, you had better come prepared. You had better know who you're dealing with, how they think and what they're likely to ask for. Maybe Mr Cook isn't aware of them, but there are a number of useful books he can read to learn how to cut a deal. I would recommend Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher. Or he can ask any first-year MBA candidate.

Either way, blinding your counterpart with science is not a good idea.

Still, Cook says: "My frustration with the world of football is people's understanding of this level of negotiation." Evidently Cook is so clever and sophisticated that the world of football is just too basic and too Neanderthal for him. Evidently, a small, pitiful club like AC Milan, with a limited fan base, no global appeal and zero business nous and a dunce like Kaka's dad (who, after all, is just a lowly civil engineer and not a highly sophisticated shoe salesman) could never comprehend the wisdom of Cook's "project".

Hopefully, the rest of football, especially clubs like AC Milan, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona, who simply haven't a clue about global branding and exploiting the sport commercially, will be enlightened by the shining example Cook will set at Manchester City over the next few years.

3. Cook's undoubted expertise in buying and selling players comes from his time at Nike, where, as he tells us, he managed the Jordan brand. Impressive, right? After all, Michael Jordan wasn't just arguably (better say "arguably", otherwise the ghost of Wilt Chamberlain will come and torment me) the greatest basketball player of all time, he was a commercial juggernaut, who, in that respect, makes Tiger Woods look like Tiger Lily (well, almost).

And clearly Jordan must owe his commercial success to Cook, right? David Falk, Jordan's agent, the guy who negotiated the original Nike deal back in 1985 and came up with the "Air Jordan" concept, was clearly a marginal figure in the success of the "Jordan Brand".

I was curious to see just how much Cook was involved in Jordan's reign as undisputed commercial champion of the universe so I did a bit of (admittedly unscientific) googling. Cook joined Nike in 1996 where he held a number of jobs, most of them entirely unrelated to the Jordan Brand (country sales manager for the UK, regional apparel sales director for Europe, Middle East and Africa, and general manager for Nike Team Sports in the United States) before becoming international general manager of the Jordan Brand and then, in 2008 (five years after Jordan's retirement), president of the Jordan Brand. Assuming he spent at least two years in each of his previous roles within Nike, he wouldn't have been involved with the Jordan Brand until the very tail end of Jordan's career at the earliest.

2. But maybe there are a few things Cook doesn't fully grasp, like, say, loyalty to a club or an employer. On January 18, 2008, Nike named him president of the Jordan Brand. By May of that very same year, LESS THAN FOUR MONTHS LATER, he dumped Nike to go work for Thaksin Shinawatra, a guy who, at the time, was facing trial on corruption charges (but, somehow, was a more attractive employer than Nike and offered a more rewarding job than being responsible for the much-vaunted Jordan Brand).

Maybe that's why he was so befuddled by Kaka's decision to stay loyal to the club who made him the highest paid player in the game, a club where is adored and appreciated, a club which, in terms of prestige, is matched by very few others in the world. Maybe the loyalty-to-those-who-showed-faith-in-you bit escaped Cook.

1. Am I being hard on him? Probably. The fact is, I haven't met the guy personally, though I've spoken to people who have, both here and in Oregon, and most describe him as a pretty decent guy. In fact, if he ever wants to grab a pint or a cup of coffee, I'm game anytime. I'm not judging him, I'm judging his specific actions in this specific instance.

And the fact is, it's frustrating to witness such a colossal screw-up. Frustrating for City and for Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen, who are decent, talented people who deserved better. No, I'm not talking about missing out on Kaka. Ultimately, it was the player's choice. I'm talking about the absurd statements Cook made yesterday, perhaps in an attempt to save face, perhaps as a way of justifying himself to Sheikh Mansour.

Fact is, he didn't need to do any of that. Fact is, rather than making Bosco out to be some kind of bumpkin and Milan out to be "bottlers" all he had to say was this: "We tried our best to sign Kaka, we worked out a deal with Milan and he was very close to joining us. Ultimately, he decided to stay loyal to the club he loves and to the supporters. We respect that, because he showed great integrity, loyalty and leadership. Which is precisely why we tried to buy him in the first place, because we too cherish those qualities. We wish him good luck and, as for City, we'll continue our ambitious plans to become a global force. And soon we'll find our own version of Kaka, either on the transfer market or among the many talented local boys who have come through our excellent academy."

That's it. That's all he had to do to come out of this with his head held high. He already proved that he could take one of the world's biggest clubs and persuade them to sell their most prized asset, something few thought he could do, even a few weeks ago.

In Columnists, Gabriele Marcotti

redrus

From skysports:-

Berlusconi - City will be great

City have the right backing to go far, says Milan supremo

Manchester City have the potential to become a genuine footballing superpower in Europe, according to AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.

The Italian prime minister backed the club to find rich success domestically and on a wider scale in the near future, despite having missed out on luring Kaka away from the San Siro.

"The new owner of Manchester City (Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nayan) is doing a great job in constructing a competitive team that will have a starring role in the Premier League and at European level," he told Italian sports newspaper Quotidiano Sportivo.

"They are investing generously and he will make Manchester City, a team currently not well known in Italy but with strong traditions, one of the starring teams in European football in the coming years.

"I hope he succeeds because he deserves it."

Berlusconi admitted his club were surprised by the offer from City for their top player.

"Certainly Milan would not spend that sum of money, and would neither pay those kind of salaries. I realise that people could be bewildered hearing about certain sums of money considering the difficult financial situation," he said.

"Had Kaka felt that his professional and financial future would be in Manchester, we would have respected his decision. But we are all happy that it has not turned out like this.

"We allowed Kaka freedom to decide his future as we are accustomed to do. Milan does not hold a player against his will and proof of this is Andriy Shevchenko's departure two years ago."

City have the right backing to go far, says Milan supremo

Manchester City have the potential to become a genuine footballing superpower in Europe, according to AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.

The Italian prime minister backed the club to find rich success domestically and on a wider scale in the near future, despite having missed out on luring Kaka away from the San Siro.

"The new owner of Manchester City (Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nayan) is doing a great job in constructing a competitive team that will have a starring role in the Premier League and at European level," he told Italian sports newspaper Quotidiano Sportivo.

"They are investing generously and he will make Manchester City, a team currently not well known in Italy but with strong traditions, one of the starring teams in European football in the coming years.

"I hope he succeeds because he deserves it."

Berlusconi admitted his club were surprised by the offer from City for their top player.

"Certainly Milan would not spend that sum of money, and would neither pay those kind of salaries. I realise that people could be bewildered hearing about certain sums of money considering the difficult financial situation," he said.

"Had Kaka felt that his professional and financial future would be in Manchester, we would have respected his decision. But we are all happy that it has not turned out like this.

"We allowed Kaka freedom to decide his future as we are accustomed to do. Milan does not hold a player against his will and proof of this is Andriy Shevchenko's departure two years ago."

What does he know ?? :o

He couldn't even understand........................Ok i won't go there... :D

What does he know ?? :o

He couldn't even understand........................Ok i won't go there... :D

It wasn't Berlusconi who didn't understand. It was Kaka's agent (his dad) :D

Kaka's Dad isn't " Milan " as Mr Cooke said, Berlusconi's the Owner of Milan... :D

Maybe one of these days Gary Cooke will get quoted correctly & we'd know what he really meant but i won't live in hope considering the mess & contadictions of this week.. :D

Kaka's Dad isn't " Milan " as Mr Cooke said, Berlusconi's the Owner of Milan... :D

Bl00dy he_ll Singhy. Read the report correctly will ya.

Cook never said Milan didn't understand it. He said Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father Bosco "failed to grasp the complexity".

This is from the article:- Please read it, inwardly digest it and make no misquotes again, please :o

4. So, according to Garry Cook, chief executive of Manchester City, Kaka did not move to Eastlands primarily for two reasons: AC Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father, Bosco, "failed to grasp" the complexity of the "project" Cook laid out for him.

Milan gave City permission to speak to Kaka. They agreed a deal for the player with the club. They were ready to let Kaka go if he reached a deal with City. That's a fact which no amount of spin and historical revisionism is going to change. All that was left was for Cook to convince Kaka.

As for Bosco, according to Cook, the negotiation was just "too sophisticated" for him.

Cook never said Milan didn't understand it. He said Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father Bosco "failed to grasp the complexity".

This is from the article:- Please read it, inwardly digest it and make no misquotes again, please :o

As for Bosco, according to Cook, the negotiation was just "too sophisticated" for him.

Ok, i've re read it like you asked me to & my conclusion is................still the same & i'll explain how, in fact have a look at the below & i don't even think i need to explain, do you ?? :D

Unless Cooke switched from " they ", " their ", & " They " to immediately mean Kaka's Dad as " them " without saying it in the below Interview, then i think he mant Milan Mr Bangles, wouldn't you ??

But, like Mr Danny trhinks that i invent stories yet when confronted with the truth, doesn't seem to acknowledge my posts, maybe Mr Cooke thinks we're all psychic when he switches from talking about " Milan " to " Kaka's Dad " ?? :D

What the City executive said:

'We think they bottled it. They lost their nerve. They had agreed to sell their prize possession and we had agreed to buy him. We had decided to build a business model around it which was a little sophisticated for them to understand.'

PS : You're not getting me opn this one Mangle, cos i'm 100% right about it Mate..

Look, ii'm honestly not being cocky here, just pointing out what this Idiot you have at your Club, who is well out of his depth, has been saying, that's all..

& in my opinion, he's made your Club look stupid..

We have one at our Gaff too, called Scott Duxbury, a massive C*ck of the highest order who i'd like to knock out if i ever met him, West Ham or not West Ham..

Some of the sh*t he says embaresses me & my Club on a regular basis & i don't like him in the slightest..

As for Cooke, he won't be there for much longer if these Arabs have a brain aswell as money, mark my words... :D

Edited by MSingh

Ok, i've re read it like you asked me to & my conclusion is................still the same & i'll explain how, in fact have a look at the below & i don't even think i need to explain, do you ?? :D

Unless Cooke switched from " they ", " their ", & " They " to immediately mean Kaka's Dad as " them " without saying it in the below Interview, then i think he mant Milan Mr Bangles, wouldn't you ??

But, like Mr Danny trhinks that i invent stories yet when confronted with the truth, doesn't seem to acknowledge my posts, maybe Mr Cooke thinks we're all psychic when he switches from talking about " Milan " to " Kaka's Dad " ?? :D

'We think they bottled it. They lost their nerve. They had agreed to sell their prize possession and we had agreed to buy him. We had decided to build a business model around it which was a little sophisticated for them to understand.'

PS : You're not getting me opn this one Mangle, cos i'm 100% right about it Mate..

Singhy, i'm sorry, i now realise you are not a native English speaker. That is the only excuse for mixing up quotations in the way you have done. Nowhere has it been written in the order you have quoted (in Red)

I repeat for the last time, as you are starting to make a fool of yourself. From the article above, this is the actual words that Garry Cook said:- "Kaka did not move to Eastlands primarily for two reasons: AC Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father, Bosco, "failed to grasp" the complexity of the "project" Cook laid out for him."

Here is the official version from the City website. The one I would trust over any BTW http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=1...amp;toyear=2009

Edited by mrbojangles

This is from the article:- Please read it, inwardly digest it and make no misquotes again, please :D

But, like Mr Danny trhinks that i invent stories yet when confronted with the truth, doesn't seem to acknowledge my posts, maybe Mr Cooke thinks we're all psychic when he switches from talking about " Milan " to " Kaka's Dad " ?? :wai:

Singhy, i'm sorry, i now realise you are not a native English speaker. That is the only excuse for mixing up quotations in the way you have done. Nowhere has it been written in the order you have quoted (in Red)

I repeat for the last time, as you are starting to make a fool of yourself. From the article above, this is the actual words that Garry Cook said:- "Kaka did not move to Eastlands primarily for two reasons: AC Milan "bottled it" and Kaka's father, Bosco, "failed to grasp" the complexity of the "project" Cook laid out for him."

Here is the official version from the City website. The one I would trust over any BTW http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=1...amp;toyear=2009

Thanks for finding and posting that article Mr Boj :D

I had the same arguement with him a couple of pages back :o

It just got silly.

The pair of you look like the same that Fella Cooke has made your Club look over the past week or 10 days, 2 bob... :o

Both thick as sh&t too...

Chavchester City..

& for the people that aren't very clever IE the Man City people on this Forum , here's link 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...rns-bitter.html

& here's link 2, not sure after your recent posts if you'll understand though cos you're a lot thicker than Milan are, for sure..

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/200...-cook-extr.html

What is it about all this that the pair of you don't understand ?????????????????????

Edit : Chavchester City until, at least, that 2 bob Cooke gets sacked from your Club, which will be soon. :D

PSS : Mixing up quotes ???????

Joe Mangle, do me a favour Sweetcheeks, you aint gonna get me on something as silly as that Mate,,, :D I'm just quoting as i read it from the Press..

Edited by MSingh

Apologies, link 2 ( above ) doesn't actually use the same quotes as link 1 ( the Daily Mail one ) clearly does above, the quote's that you two are blatantly ignoring i mean..... :D

Do i get an apolgy for being accused of inventing things & not having English as my native tongue, or should we just brush it under the Carpet or ignore ??

Just wondering... :D

& if you think we should all be beliveing the version on City's Website & ignore the rest......................... :o

I tell you what though, i've just actually read the City version..

“They live in a different space than we do as a football club and it’s been interesting to watch their behaviour.”

<deleted> is that meant to mean ????

Singhy, you believe which version you want to. I will trust the official Man City version and the one Redrus posted above.

P.S. Why on earth would you call me "Sweetcheeks". You've never met me. This is a football forum, if you want to talk like that i suggest you start posting in the Gay forum but i would guess they wouldn't condone that either.

Edited by mrbojangles

sorry bojangles, i'm not in the slightest anti-city but gary cook is making a wally of himself and a pisspoor example of the club in all this.

Stevie I'm not for, or against him. He tried to buy a player, it didn't happen. End of IMO.

Tell me, was the arguments with Benetiz and your owners last year a "benchmark" example of how to run a club and conduct themselves in the public arena?

Singhy, you believe which version you want to. I will trust the official Man City version and the one Redrus posted above.

P.S. Why on earth would you call me "Sweetcheeks". You've never met me. This is a football forum, if you want to talk like that i suggest you start posting in the Gay forum but i would guess they wouldn't condone that either.

:D

Sorry, i called you it because i honestly thought that you were a Woman, but you're not i don't think now... :o

No apology either ??

I'm only quoting what the Daily Mail wrote so don't have a beef with me, have it with them...

Enjoy your Sunday Honey... :D

Stevie I'm not for, or against him. He tried to buy a player, it didn't happen. End of IMO.

Tell me, was the arguments with Benetiz and your owners last year a "benchmark" example of how to run a club and conduct themselves in the public arena?

i don't think it is 'end of', mrbj. this could've been handled much better without cook insulting one of the biggest clubs in europe.

rafa's spat with hicks and gillett last season was embarrassing but unfortunately necessary. cook's comments weren't.

this could've been handled much better without cook insulting one of the biggest clubs in europe.

Yes, i concur.

rafa's spat with hicks and gillett last season was embarrassing but unfortunately necessary.

I don't think it was necessary to do it in public. It could have been kept in the boardroom.

I don't think it was necessary to do it in public. It could have been kept in the boardroom.

that'd been tried and all avenues exhausted. our two fraudster owners both live across the atlantic and our CEO is a clown without makeup. rafa had been pushed into a corner and took the only option open to him in the end.

this could've been handled much better without cook insulting one of the biggest clubs in europe.

Yes, i concur.

rafa's spat with hicks and gillett last season was embarrassing but unfortunately necessary.

Excellent, finally admitance that Cooke insulted Milan, hopefully through the links i've provided... :o

i don't think it is 'end of', mrbj. this could've been handled much better without cook insulting one of the biggest clubs in europe.

rafa's spat with hicks and gillett last season was embarrassing but unfortunately necessary. cook's comments weren't.

I think Cook could have handled it better, but I dont think he insulted Milan. After all, their owner Berlosconi came out afterwards and wished City all the best, saying he believed that over the next few years City would become one of Europes giants :o

There was a very good article in yesterdays paper (I think Mail) of a lengthy interview with Mark Hughes. He says, of the failed attempt to sign Kaka...."There are lessons to be learned from this. A lot of people at this club are new to the football business and maybe we need greater knowledge of what makes deals happen"

He also said earlier in the interview.." So we tried to buy Kaka? he asks, I couldnt see a downside because I didnt realise how badly we were going to get hammered if we failed to bring it off. Yet what were we meant to do?. When the opportunity to bring in one of the top players in the world comes along, you cannot fail to pursue it out of fear that it has come too soon. It might not happen again and you will always be wondering what if? So, no, it would not put me off trying again.

We were right to do it and we got closer than people expected"

A very good interview and one in which Hughes comes across very well :D

Yes, i concur.

Excellent, finally admitance that Cooke insulted Milan, hopefully through the links i've provided... :o

Never said he didn't insult them. I agree that he said they "bottled it". No way, no how do i agree with your version. I agree with the wording on the City website and the other one quoted in this thread by Redrus. As i said before, you believe your version and i will believe the official man city version. I mean, it's not as if the press have got things wrong before is it.

Yes, i concur.

Never said he didn't insult them. I agree that he said they "bottled it". No way, no how do i agree with your version. I agree with the wording on the City website and the other one quoted in this thread by Redrus. As i said before, you believe your version and i will believe the official man city version. I mean, it's not as if the press have got things wrong before is it.

Yes, i concur.

Excellent, finally admitance that Cooke insulted Milan, hopefully through the links i've provided... :D

Just do like I've done, put him on Ignore :D

Some people are distinctly lacking in class :o

Yes, i concur.

Excellent, finally admitance that Cooke insulted Milan, hopefully through the links i've provided... :D

Just do like I've done, put him on Ignore :D

Some people are distinctly lacking in class :o

Gary Cooke for starters... :D

& yep, great philosophy, when someone's right & you're not, just ignore them & hope they just go away, bravo, what a way to live your life !!!

]

& yep, great philosophy, when someone's right & you're not, just ignore them & hope they just go away, bravo, what a way to live your life !!!

What is your problem Singh ?

You seem intent in causing problems on many threads. Mr Bo Jangles is a well RESPECTED member of TV and in the football forum especially. He also leads the prediction thread where there are many knowledgeable football members.

He has tried several times to answer your questions and draw a line under this so gives us all a break and drop the sarcasim please. :o

I hope all members have a good day. :D

BT

What is your problem Singh ?

You seem intent in causing problems on many threads. Mr Bo Jangles is a well RESPECTED member of TV and in the football forum especially. He also leads the prediction thread where there are many knowledgeable football members.

He has tried several times to answer your questions and draw a line under this so gives us all a break and drop the sarcasim please. :D

I hope all members have a good day. :D

BT

Cheers BT :o

Thank you mate. :o

sorry bojangles, i'm not in the slightest anti-city but gary cook is making a wally of himself and a pisspoor example of the club in all this.

Agreed.

redrus