Manchester City

mrbojangles

Recently I came in for some stick from our recently departed 'it's my ball and I'm going home' spurs fan and Alfredo when I described Fernandinho as a box-to-box player. Anybody who reads the Guardian and ESPN will know football brain Michael Cox of zonalmarking. Decent article today "Guardiola's use of Silva and De Bruyne is revolutionising English football"

"...Guardiola's Manchester City will win the Premier League with a three-man midfield featuring a box-to-box player and two natural No. 10s, something no one would have dreamt of before his arrival in England in 2016..."

"...Guardiola, though, wasn't having any of that. To play one as a No. 8 would have been a relatively solid strategy; you'd surely need a proper box-to-box midfielder like Fernandinho alongside him, and a solid defensive midfielder behind. But Guardiola's decision to play them both as No. 8s was remarkable, and the fact they worked so effectively in those positions is a testament to his organisational skills.."

"But even their midfield colleague, Fernandinho, is not a proper defensive midfielder. With Shakhtar Donetsk, he was a box-to-box player, attracting attention with his storming runs into the opposition penalty area..."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-carabao-cup/41/blog/post/3395051/guardiolas-use-of-silva-and-de-bruyne-is-revolutionising-english-football

50 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

If he's in breach of a regulation, then he should get punished but I don't know why UEFA have a different rule/law on it that means he's ok to wear it during CL games.

Interesting thing is I don't think Guardiola will go down without a fight - if he just stops wearing it, that doesn't say much for his 'cause', considering there are people are currently imprisoned.

If they fine him, will he continue to wear it? Personally I think he will carry on wearing it until they threaten a touchline ban. 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Recently I came in for some stick from our recently departed 'it's my ball and I'm going home' spurs fan and Alfredo when I described Fernandinho as a box-to-box player. Anybody who reads the Guardian and ESPN will know football brain Michael Cox of zonalmarking. Decent article today "Guardiola's use of Silva and De Bruyne is revolutionising English football"

"...Guardiola's Manchester City will win the Premier League with a three-man midfield featuring a box-to-box player and two natural No. 10s, something no one would have dreamt of before his arrival in England in 2016..."

"...Guardiola, though, wasn't having any of that. To play one as a No. 8 would have been a relatively solid strategy; you'd surely need a proper box-to-box midfielder like Fernandinho alongside him, and a solid defensive midfielder behind. But Guardiola's decision to play them both as No. 8s was remarkable, and the fact they worked so effectively in those positions is a testament to his organisational skills.."

"But even their midfield colleague, Fernandinho, is not a proper defensive midfielder. With Shakhtar Donetsk, he was a box-to-box player, attracting attention with his storming runs into the opposition penalty area..."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-carabao-cup/41/blog/post/3395051/guardiolas-use-of-silva-and-de-bruyne-is-revolutionising-english-football

I always thought that City would come apart at some stage during the season (they still might) and the main reason would be that they overplayed Fernandinho. I think he has been superb but does not get the plaudits like Silva or De Bruyne. However, there does not seem to be an even passable alternative for him should he get injured. Delph looks like the best bet to me but he has made the left back slot his own. Danillo doesn't look comfortable enough unless he is playing at right back. Yaya is completely out of the picture and I imagine he is miles away from being match fit. Stones or Kompany could maybe slot in.

With the World Cup getting nearer, Ferdandinho may feel he needs a reduction in playing time to be ready for that. Perhaps City will wrap up the Premiership early enough to give him; and others; a bit of downtime before they join up with their national sides.

• Like 1

Champers "I think he has been superb but does not get the plaudits like Silva or De Bruyne."

Good post and fair comment. A lot of players have upped their game and had a great season. Some like Delph and Otamendi we'd happily have written off preseason but have been great. But I think after KdB then I'd have to pick Fernandinho as our best / most consistent player this season. He's incredibly fit, strong and has great endurance for his age, he certainly supports our fragile defence well while getting forward when it suits. Very brave of Pep to go with 2 creators and a box-to-boxer; don't think we've been 'found' out by any team playing such an attacking midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Champers "I think he has been superb but does not get the plaudits like Silva or De Bruyne."

Good post and fair comment. A lot of players have upped their game and had a great season. Some like Delph and Otamendi we'd happily have written off preseason but have been great. But I think after KdB then I'd have to pick Fernandinho as our best / most consistent player this season. He's incredibly fit, strong and has great endurance for his age, he certainly supports our fragile defence well while getting forward when it suits. Very brave of Pep to go with 2 creators and a box-to-boxer; don't think we've been 'found' out by any team playing such an attacking midfield.

I'm getting confused now as back in Jan you said 

^Unbelievable! Keep watching us my son. But I will concede that in a midfield with Silva and KDB, that Fernandinho currently does take the role of defensive midfielder

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Interesting thing is I don't think Guardiola will go down without a fight - if he just stops wearing it, that doesn't say much for his 'cause', considering there are people are currently imprisoned.

If they fine him, will he continue to wear it? Personally I think he will carry on wearing it until they threaten a touchline ban. 

You'd think the FA would have better things to do...like cleaning up their shit reputation.

20 minutes ago, jellydog said:

You'd think the FA would have better things to do...like cleaning up their shit reputation.

Bearing in mind they told FIFA to shove it over wearing Poppy's when England played Scotland. They also allow rainbow laces in players boots, which is also political.

8 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Bearing in mind they told FIFA to shove it over wearing Poppy's when England played Scotland. They also allow rainbow laces in players boots, which is also political.

Indeed. I was going to bring up the Poppy situation, but my knowledge of that history is pretty skimpy.

16 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

He's certainly done the most of all in bringing the catalan protest to the eyes of all uk football fans and probably done enough. Just hope he doesn't want to be a martyr to the cause.

I've just written to the FA demanding a 20 pts deduction for Citeh.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Really? Don't think we've been at our best but not any worse than Arsenal

Surely not hitting on all cylinders. Not playing out of the back without Ederson in goal seems to have put the attack out of synch.