Manchester City

mrbojangles

Yeah i heard that too. Suppose we'll just have to wait for the full story to come out. He should be fined a months wages though, purely for wanting to go to Leeds on a night out. :o

it was from popbitch:

Robinho went out to Space nightclub in Leeds this week. The bouncers didn't recognise the 160-grand-a-week star and turned him away for wearing a tracksuit. Rather than throw his weight around with a "don't you know who I am?" Robinho went back to his hotel and got changed. He then went back to Space with his agent and a couple of other players. The manager cordoned off an area of the club for them. The group then ordered up a load of champagne, happily dishing it out to everyone around them in the club. Robinho left a 400 quid tip for his waiter, and promised to come back as he said he found it difficult to go out in Manchester.

Staff said he was "very down to earth. Friendly but tiny."

Anyway, we shouldn't have any banter in here from Fans of other teams. :o Uncle Jim has already complained in the Liverpond thread.

As the OP of this thread. I declare this thread an "Open House" Toady :D

Thank you sir, just like other threads generally are.

Maybe I'll set up a Victor Meldrew football thread, where only facts and no fun is had. :D

Now the similarities of this Article with Mr Cooke, i can understand... :o

http

://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/20...e_week_18.html

As the fall-out from the Kaka deal continued, Manchester City's executive chairman was portrayed as football's answer to David Brent.

Garry Cook, barely a household name in his own household a fortnight ago, was ridiculed by respected scribes like Patrick Collins, who opined in his column for the Mail: "He is a comic treasure. His quixotic pursuit of the Brazilian footballer Kaka has put a smile on the face of the nation."

The Sunday Mirror and News of the World also jumped on the Brent bandwagon, and with comments from Cook like "the speculative circus has taken us on a journey that we didn't want to go on", you could see where they were coming from.

City fans are understandably upset about their club being labelled a joke and as a QPR supporter (only the country's second-richest outfit) I'm certainly in no position to put the boot in.

But if Cook wants to get this monkey off his back, he could do worse than adopt the following Brentism - 'When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"'

Meanwhile in Milan, Kaka rubbed salt in City's wounds with a brace against Bologna, and David Beckham notched his first goal in a 4-1 win. The LA Galaxy star appeared dead-set on making the move permanent, even adopting a comedy Italian lilt in his post-match interview as he declared: "It's more important that di team won." He's obviously been taking tips from his former boss Schteve McClaren.

Given to City ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ted/7856463.stm

Given 'ready for Man City talks'

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has revealed that goalkeeper Shay Given wants "a new challenge" and wishes to talk to Manchester City over a possible move.

The Republic of Ireland keeper, 32, was said to be considering his future at the club following the Magpies' 5-1 defeat by Liverpool in December.

"I have bent over backwards to keep him - I've tried to make him stay," Kinnear told the Evening Chronicle.

"He wants a new challenge and he wants to speak to Manchester City." Newcastle are set to play City at Eastlands on Wednesday.

From skysports:-

Debut delight for Bellamy

Craig Bellamy scored on his league debut for the first time in eight attempts as Manchester City defeated Newcastle United at Eastlands.

The former Magpies and West Ham striker produced a superb turn and finish into the bottom corner 13 minutes from time after Shaun Wright-Phillips and Pablo Zabaleta had combined to create the opportunity.

Bellamy's goal looked to have sealed victory for City after Wright-Phillips had been teed-up by Robinho to open the scoring before the interval following Wayne Bridge's low cross in from the left.

Newcastle responded immediately through Andy Carroll after Bridge's defensive lapse allowed David Edgar to cross and set up a tense finale, but there was no way back for the Magpies.

To add to Joe Kinnear's woes, Michael Owen limped out of the action before the break with an ankle ligament injury which left him on crutches and Joey Barton hobbled out of the game during the second period.

Shay Given's knee injury was hardly a surprise as it would allow any discussions that take place between Newcastle - whose owner Mike Ashley was at the game - and City to continue without the inconvenience of the Irishman playing for his current team against the one who want him.

For Mark Hughes, the decision to select Robinho, his best player, was straightforward, despite worrying off-field headlines and his recent exit from the club's training camp in Tenerife.

Having apparently made peace with Hughes, he then got any remaining waverers in the City support back onside with a deft through-ball which allowed Wright-Phillips to drive a shot through Steve Harper's legs and put the hosts in front.

In truth, it was by far the best moment of a tepid opening period in which City debutants Bellamy and Nigel de Jong buzzed about effectively without being able to assist their team-mates in making the most of their dominance.

Lacklustre as City were, they were a cut above Newcastle, who were truly awful.

The loss of Owen just after Wright-Phillips' goal when he jarred his leg after leaping for an aerial collision with Nedum Onuoha hardly helped.

But Kinnear does not have much time to build a team capable of escaping relegation trouble and this one might not.

They did at least force Joe Hart into a save in the opening minutes of the second half, although Damien Duff's long-range shot was ambitious at best.

Newcastle were cursing when rookie referee Mike Jones failed to rule Micah Richards' challenge on Steven Taylor a foul even though the City defender had been caught badly out of position when Duff floated over the cross which was about to be powered home until Taylor hit the deck.

But Bellamy and Wright-Phillips felt they should have been similarly rewarded at the other end by Jones, a veteran of only five previous top flight games.

And there was no need for debate 13 minutes from time when Zabaleta strode onto Wright-Phillips' pass and then found Bellamy.

Bellamy seized his opportunity, twisting and turning on the edge of the box before sending a precise shot past Harper.

Three minutes later, Bridge allowed Edgar to rob him close to the penalty area and the youngster wasted no time in providing Carroll with a tap-in - but City ended worthy winners.

Hughes - No Robinho concerns

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes insisted he had no concerns about naming Robinho in his starting XI against Newcastle.

The Brazil international has hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons in recent weeks, but responded in the perfect manner against the Magpies.

Reports of unrest at City following his Tenerife training camp exit were followed by the player being questioned by police over allegations of a serious sexual assault in Leeds.

Former Real Madrid ace Robinho was at the heart of much of City's best play, producing a series of flicks and tricks, but also incisive passes and driving runs.

He set up Shaun Wright-Phillips for the opening goal with an instant control and pass from Wayne Bridge's cross from the left and was a constant menace throughout.

Craig Bellamy looked to have sealed victory for City against his former club in the 77th minute only for Andy Carroll's swift response to set up a finale which was far tenser than it should have been for the hosts.

Hughes told Sky Sports: "He was very focused. I spoke to him this morning and he was very clear that he was ready and he was prepared for the game.

"He put in a great performance and the interplay between himself and Craig looks very encouraging.

"It is a difficult situation, we're fully supportive of him, we're fully supportive of the process that has to be gone through."

Hughes also paid tribute to Bellamy after the striker scored on his debut, the first time he has achieved the feat for the eight clubs he has represented.

The City boss added: "His movement all night long and his willingness to work for the team was capped by a great goal."

Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given, who has been strongly linked with a move to Eastlands, was not involved with his manager Joe Kinnear insisting he had an ankle injury.

Hughes confirmed he was keen to bring the Republic of Ireland international to the club, but claimed he had no further news on the progress of any possible transfer.

He said: "We put a bid in a couple of weeks back. I was concentrating on the game and preparing the team and I've had no update on that.

"He's a good quality keeper and I've said for quite some time that we need an experienced keeper to back up the exceptionally talented young keepers that we have here."

Hughes - No Robinho concerns

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes insisted he had no concerns about naming Robinho in his starting XI against Newcastle.

The Brazil international has hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons in recent weeks, but responded in the perfect manner against the Magpies.

Reports of unrest at City following his Tenerife training camp exit were followed by the player being questioned by police over allegations of a serious sexual assault in Leeds.

Former Real Madrid ace Robinho was at the heart of much of City's best play, producing a series of flicks and tricks, but also incisive passes and driving runs.

He set up Shaun Wright-Phillips for the opening goal with an instant control and pass from Wayne Bridge's cross from the left and was a constant menace throughout.

Craig Bellamy looked to have sealed victory for City against his former club in the 77th minute only for Andy Carroll's swift response to set up a finale which was far tenser than it should have been for the hosts.

Hughes told Sky Sports: "He was very focused. I spoke to him this morning and he was very clear that he was ready and he was prepared for the game.

"He put in a great performance and the interplay between himself and Craig looks very encouraging.

"It is a difficult situation, we're fully supportive of him, we're fully supportive of the process that has to be gone through."

Hughes also paid tribute to Bellamy after the striker scored on his debut, the first time he has achieved the feat for the eight clubs he has represented.

The City boss added: "His movement all night long and his willingness to work for the team was capped by a great goal."

Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given, who has been strongly linked with a move to Eastlands, was not involved with his manager Joe Kinnear insisting he had an ankle injury.

Hughes confirmed he was keen to bring the Republic of Ireland international to the club, but claimed he had no further news on the progress of any possible transfer.

He said: "We put a bid in a couple of weeks back. I was concentrating on the game and preparing the team and I've had no update on that.

"He's a good quality keeper and I've said for quite some time that we need an experienced keeper to back up the exceptionally talented young keepers that we have here."

Interesting last line!!!

I cant see Given going to City as a 'back up' :D

I thought Bellamy was great last night.Plenty of exhuberance and energy. I think that is why Hughes bought him, because in the past City kind of fall into a flat spell. With Bellamy buzzing around, complaining and whinging, there is a less likely chance of that happening.

Overall, I would say an efficient but not great performance. Newcastle are truly awful :D

And if Stephen Ireland happens to be reading this thread. :D .............. Stephen, please stick to being Stephen Ireland and do the things you are good at. Robinho you aint, so stop with these flicks and back heels :o

Oh,one other thing, the referee last night was truly awful.

Several penaltys in both areas missed. Goal kicks awarded instead of corners, fouls not given and how that big permed sack of cack was not sent off for the foul on SWP, I will never know.

This ref should go and practise in the Championship before getting anymore Prem games.

To be honest Jack, i can't remember much of the match. Here in Saudi, we have weekend on thurs and friday, so by 11pm (our time) i was a tad pished and this <deleted> Blackburn fan who was watching his match on the next screen wouldn't shut up and just wanted to talk to me all the way through. So although i watched it in body, i didn't in mind :o

The repeat of Hull and West Ham is on Supersports at the moment, so i'm hoping they will repeat City sometime today.

To be honest Jack, i can't remember much of the match. Here in Saudi, we have weekend on thurs and friday, so by 11pm (our time) i was a tad pished and this <deleted> Blackburn fan who was watching his match on the next screen wouldn't shut up and just wanted to talk to me all the way through. So although i watched it in body, i didn't in mind :o

The repeat of Hull and West Ham is on Supersports at the moment, so i'm hoping they will repeat City sometime today.

:D Sometimes thats the best way to watch City.

Last night, it was just about worth it to stay up and watch them :D

Lot of positives, but Newcastle really are poor!!

Hopefully we can get a bit of momentum going now.

To be honest Jack, i can't remember much of the match. Here in Saudi, we have weekend on thurs and friday, so by 11pm (our time) i was a tad pished and this <deleted> Blackburn fan who was watching his match on the next screen wouldn't shut up and just wanted to talk to me all the way through. So although i watched it in body, i didn't in mind :D

Hopefully we can get a bit of momentum going now.

Nah, back to normal. :o:D

B@llox to the football. I am too p!ssed off to dissect the misperformance :o

So heres to a bit of hypethetical fun.

3 deals...which, if any would you consider.........

Chelsea. Drogba +10 million for Robinho

Arsenal. Toure for Richards, straight swop

Blackburn. Santa Cruz for Sturridge plus 18 million.

Personally I would say definately NO to the third option, but 1 and 2, I would certainly consider.

B@llox to the football. I am too p!ssed off to dissect the misperformance :o

So heres to a bit of hypethetical fun.

3 deals...which, if any would you consider.........

Chelsea. Drogba +10 million for Robinho

Arsenal. Toure for Richards, straight swop

Blackburn. Santa Cruz for Sturridge plus 18 million.

Personally I would say definately NO to the third option, but 1 and 2, I would certainly consider.

Option 2 i would consider but none of the others.

Given seals City switch

Manchester City have completed the signing of goalkeeper Shay Given from Newcastle United.

The Republic of Ireland international underwent a medical at Eastlands on Sunday and has now sealed his switch to the ambitious outfit.

Given, 32, has put pen-to-paper on a four-and-a-half-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

The shot-stopper joined the Magpies in 1997 from Blackburn Rovers and made over 450 appearances for the club.

City boss Mark Hughes told the club's official website: "I have said for a long time that we need the experience of a keeper like Shay.

"I am delighted that we have been able to acquire such an accomplished keeper, and one is so highly regarded by everyone in the Premier League.

"We are getting a very good keeper, and the experience he has will help the two outstanding young keepers that we have here in Joe (Harte) and Kasper (Schmeichel).

"I am looking for them all to grow as a group, and it's important that we have that influence of a senior keeper.

"I have had a good talk with him about where we expect to be in the future. From a football point of view, and a club point of view, it's an easy thing to sell because we know we are going in the right direction. Players want to be part of that."

Magpies manager Joe Kinnear said: "I'm really sorry to see Shay go. He's been a fantastic professional and a great lad to work with.

"We bent over backwards to try and keep him at Newcastle United and offered him a longer contract to stay at the club.

"He's been with Newcastle United for a long time and has been a great servant, but he felt the time was right to move on and so realistically, we had no choice but to reluctantly agree to allow him to make this move.

"I wish him and his family all the very best for the future."

Ben Haim joins Black Cats

Defender signs from City on loan from end of season

Sunderland have secured the signing of Manchester City defender Tal Ben Haim on loan until the end of the season.

Ben Haim has struggled to make an impact at Eastlands since signing from Chelsea last summer.

The 26-year-old has now moved to the Stadium of Light after Black Cats boss Ricky Sbragia sought to bolster his backline.

Ben Haim started his career in England at Sbragia's former club Bolton before moving to Chelsea in July 2007 on a free transfer.

Sbragia told Sunderland's official website: "It's a position we have been short in so I'm delighted that Tal has joined us.

"I know all about him from his days at Bolton. He's got a lot of top-flight experience and he will be a great addition to our squad."

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us when we play them in April. Hopefully it will be in the deal that he can't play.

Toffees clinch Jo deal

Everton have confirmed the capture of Manchester City striker Jo on loan until the end of the season.

The Brazilian joined City in a big-money move from CSKA Moscow last summer but he has endured a difficult debut campaign in the Premier League.

He has fallen further down the pecking order following the arrival of Craig Bellamy from West Ham and Mark Hughes has allowed him to head to Goodison Park.

Officials from the two clubs met in Manchester on Saturday night to discuss the details of the transfer.

Jo has now agreed personal terms with Everton to provide David Moyes with an extra attacking option.

Moyes has been searching for a new forward since the start of January, with James Vaughan and Yakubu Aiyegbeni set to be sidelined for the rest of the season through injury and Louis Saha still recovering from a hamstring problem.

Everton have had to play without a recognised striker at times in recent months, although midfielder Tim Cahill has been successful in an advanced role.

I'm happy about this. Hopefully the lad will be fit soon and get a regular place.

Magpies fail in Johnson bid

City knock back offer for midfielder

Manchester City have rejected an £8million offer from Newcastle for midfielder Michael Johnson.

The Magpies have been monitoring the 20-year-old's situation for some time and lodged a bid for his services earlier on deadline day.

They had been hopeful of concluding a deal and it was understood that Johnson was open to the idea of moving to St James' Park.

However, City have turned down the approach as they view Johnson as an important part of their long-term plans.

Johnson established himself as a regular in the City side in the first half of the 2007/08 campaign before suffering an abdominal injury.

He has had fewer opportunities to impress this term with Mark Hughes making a number of new signings, but in September he penned a five-year contract with City.

Hughes happy with Roque stance

City boss not willing to pay over the odds for Rovers striker

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes insists he was not prepared to budge from his valuation of Blackburn Rovers striker Roque Santa Cruz.

Hughes made several attempts to be reunited with the Paraguayan striker, who he brought to Ewood Park from Bayern Munich 18 months ago.

However, Rovers rejected all offers for Santa Cruz, with current Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce also wanting a replacement lined up before considering letting the player go.

Former Blackburn chief Hughes again acknowledged his interest in Santa Cruz, but conceded he did not want to pay over the odds.

"Most of our business had been done by the day before, so there were a few phone calls in regard to our players which we had to look at, but any business that we were going to do had already been done," Hughes told the club's official website.

"The situation was that Blackburn were not prepared to sell their player. Their stance was that they did not have anybody to come in, they had apparently been trying to replace him but could not so there was no deal to be done.

"If we had offered more money to a certain level it would have been done, which would have negated their argument to a certain extent, but we were not going to do that. We said all along that we had values for players, and we were not going above them.

"They retained their player, and they were well within their rights to do that. We wanted to bring a good player to Manchester City, our motivation in trying to do the deal was that we thought he could help us. But it has not happened, so we move on."

Hughes did not add to his squad on transfer deadline day, but was happy to bring Wayne Bridge, Shay Given, Nigel de Jong and Craig Bellamy to the club during the window.

He added: "We have still spent a significant amount of money. What we were able to do was address a number of the key areas that we felt needed to be strengthened.

"You always have targets you are hopeful of getting in a transfer window, but you are always realistic about the likelihood of bringing each and every one of them in.

"That's been borne out, but we have probably done better than we thought when the window opened."

After all the hoohah, the transfer window turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, didn't it?

Yeah, i thought so too. Hopefully Summer will be exciting times though.

What, no post about Micah Richards being charged with assault? :o Unlike Stevie G, this is one guy I wouldn't want pissed off at me, should be playing rugby.

micah richards is a big pussy. i'd batter him.

city fans, are you losing patience with 'wonderkid' richards? he's been universally crap this season hasn't he?

I am a big fan of Richards, but I think he has gone off the rails.

There was an incident last year where he was filmed in an uncompromising position with some bird, on a night out.

This year he has been awful.

I think that he has let all the adulation go to his head, and he believes that he is a lot better than what he is.

I also think it would help if he had a vocal experienced defender to play alongside with.

He needs to knuckle down, otherwise he will just become another 'nearly man' who never quite fulfils his potential.