Manchester City

mrbojangles

he has been offered the job before.

extract from the guardian newspaper.

The Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has revealed that he could have been in the home dugout for his side's visit to the City of Manchester Stadium tomorrow. The Brazilian said today that he turned down an offer from Manchester City to become their manager before moving to Stamford Bridge in the summer.

Scolari confirmed that City, whose takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group last month has made them richer than Chelsea, had approached him when the club was owned by Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Yes, they offered it [the manager's job] to me," he said. "It was a very good offer but at that time I was with Portugal and I said I needed time to think. They came to Portugal and they talked to me about their ideas for the team in the next three or four years."

Well its half time 0-0!!!!!!!

I dont know about you guys, but I get the distinct impression that Robinho is taking the p!ss :D

Ever since he received his fine for his disappearing act, he has been completely anonymous.

In midweek, he apparantly was brilliant, yet today he cant even pass a ball. He has got to be doing this on purpose!! :D How can a world class player like this play as bad as he has the last 3 games?

Logan might be a great prospect, but it is too soon for him, and he is completely overmatched.

Has to sub Logan and Robinho and bring on Caicedo and lets see what Berti is like.

Of course that aint going to happen as Hughes is more reactive than proactive. Go 0-1 down first, then lets see!!!!!

Anyway, as I am sure you guys can see its pure sh!te at its best :o

I dont know about you guys, but I get the distinct impression that Robinho is taking the p!ss :D

Ever since he received his fine for his disappearing act, he has been completely anonymous.

In midweek, he apparantly was brilliant, yet today he cant even pass a ball. He has got to be doing this on purpose!! :D How can a world class player like this play as bad as he has the last 3 games?

Logan might be a great prospect, but it is too soon for him, and he is completely overmatched.

Has to sub Logan and Robinho and bring on Caicedo and lets see what Berti is like.

Of course that aint going to happen as Hughes is more reactive than proactive. Go 0-1 down first, then lets see!!!!!

I agree City were very poor and I thought due to their "GOOD" players they would winn easily 3 - 0 BUT they were beaten without a fight 2 - 0 :D

Ah well may be Man UTD will win 3 - 0 there is hope after all :P

I don't think many people on Prediction league will have the correct score except maybe Mr Bo and he supports them :D

BT :wai:

Robinho's dip in form also coincided with the failure of City to sign Kaka.

Absolutely awful last night. Pompey deserved the win and they battled for every single ball, like their lives were depending on it. Don't know if the sacking of Adams spurred them on but City never looked interested.

So how long before Hughes gets the sack?

I reckon it's coming.

Absolutely awful last night. Pompey deserved the win and they battled for every single ball, like their lives were depending on it. Don't know if the sacking of Adams spurred them on but City never looked interested.
So how long before Hughes gets the sack?

I reckon it's coming.

And I thought from the look on Hughes' face that he reckons that also!

Its a shame really for Sparky as he did a good job with Wales and Blackburn but looks as though he hasnt got it when managing a bigger club with players with even bigger egos.

He'd probably still do a decent job at an unfashionable Premiership club in the future.The likes of Blackburn,Bolton,Fulham,Wigan etc.if a managerial vacancy came up in the next season or two.

Makes City's decision to sack Erickkson look even more ridiculous.OK he's not the greatest but I bet he'd have City challenging for a UEFA Cup slot.

City are killing football, blasts Solbakken

By Soccernet staff

February 17, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

FC Copenhagen coach Ståle Solbakken has stirred things up ahead of his team's UEFA Cup clash with Manchester City by claiming the Premier League club are "destroying football" with their unrealistic ambitions.

GettyImages

Solbakken: Lambasted City's transfer dealings

City travel to the Danish capital for a third round knock-out tie on Thursday night which promises to be a very hot encounter at a sold-out Parken Stadium. And Solbakken has further raised the temperature by suggesting City's Abu-Dhabi investors, who were willing to pay over £100million to sign Kaka from AC Milan, are ruining football with absurdly large transfer bids.

"The amounts of money that has been mentioned are incredible," Solbakken to Danish paper Ekstra-Bladet. "I think that such incredible sums will take part in destroying football."

"They are creating too big a mental distance between what we call reality and then Manchester City.

"The hardest part for City is that they, by tradition, are not a big football club and therefore all the money in the world does not make a difference for them," Solbakken said.

"They brought in Wayne Bridge even though he is only marginally better than what they had already and that says how hard it is to get the best players even though you have lots of money."

Man City keen to reunite Terry and Scolari?

By Soccernet staff

February 17, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City could reunite Luiz Felipe Scolari and John Terry at Eastlands this summer as the Abu Dhabi-backed club look to improve their flagging on pitch fortunes by exploiting disharmony at Chelsea.

Empics

Friends reunited? Terry and Scolari

City had an approach for Terry rejected in the January transfer window but The Guardian report that conversations between City and people close to the Chelsea and England captain suggest Terry might be interested in listening to what the Abu Dhabi United Group plan for the club.

This report runs contrary to quotes from Terry and Chelsea who both intimated that the player was committed to the Stamford Bridge club for the long-term.

On Tuesday night, Scolari's spokesman Acaz Fellegger moved to calm speculation linking the Brazilian with a move to Man City, insisting that ''Nobody has been in touch.''

Although well regarded within the game, City boss Mark Hughes is enduring a torrid season with the club struggling in mid-table and are currently closer to the drop zone than the European places.

Observers contend that Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, City's billionaire owner, believes that former Chelsea boss Scolari could get more consistent performances out of £30m striker Robinho and could be instrumental in luring Kaka to the club, if a move to bring the Brazilian playmaker from AC Milan is reprised.

If any changes are to made at City it seems likely that they will not take place until the summer, not least because, as Fellegger insists: ''Scolari has no intention of taking on another job during this season. He has no intention of doing anything before the end of May or June.''

Meanwhile, Michael Ballack has insisted that he was not responsible for making Scolari's position at Chelsea untenable.

In the immediate aftermath of Scolari's sacking it was reported that Ballack, along with goalkeeper Petr Cech and striker Didier Drogba were responsible for engineering Scolari's departure.

But the German midfielder told The Telegraph: ''This is unfair. I couldn't believe this when I heard about it when I was away on team duty with Germany. This is speculation and it is not true.''

''I had always a good relationship with every coach. I was disappointed when I heard this but I couldn't react because I was away. In recent months I've spoken only good things about Scolari. They were even surprised in Germany because I always had a lot of good words about him.''

i'd be amazed if city don't bid for terry in the summer.

i'd be amazed if he went.

I wouldn't...$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only thing Man City are good at doing/giving or offer..

Guess I will have to lower myself and cheer to city this weekend (quietly).

The guy is a total knobhead. How can we be killing football? All the top teams around Europe have been breaking transfer fees continuously for years. Now we have a bit of dosh to be able to compete with signings and all of a sudden we're killing football. :o

The guy is a total knobhead. How can we be killing football? All the top teams around Europe have been breaking transfer fees continuously for years. Now we have a bit of dosh to be able to compete with signings and all of a sudden we're killing football. :o

The difference is BJ that the rest of the clubs that throw around the money - actually do something with it. As for secretly loving you, well let me just say in Playstation, Jo and Micah are actually very good.

The guy is a total knobhead. How can we be killing football? All the top teams around Europe have been breaking transfer fees continuously for years. Now we have a bit of dosh to be able to compete with signings and all of a sudden we're killing football. :D

The difference is BJ that the rest of the clubs that throw around the money - actually do something with it.

As we will do. :D

We have had 1 transfer window. Give it another 3 or 4 before you start prematurely gobbing off :o

The guy is a total knobhead. How can we be killing football? All the top teams around Europe have been breaking transfer fees continuously for years. Now we have a bit of dosh to be able to compete with signings and all of a sudden we're killing football. :D

The difference is BJ that the rest of the clubs that throw around the money - actually do something with it.

We have had 1 transfer window. Give it another 3 or 4 before you start prematurely gobbing off :o

I guess last summer when you signed robbie didn't count? Funny math on that side of the city. :D

I guess last summer when you signed robbie didn't count? Funny math on that side of the city. :D

Well not really, as the Abu's hadn't acually taken over then. In fact they wee only just starting the Due Diligence. The money they gave Thaksin for Robbie, was in good faith.

From skysports:-

City denied in Denmark

FC Copenhagen 2 - 2 Man City

Manchester City conceded a late goal as they drew 2-2 with FC Copenhagen in the first leg of their Uefa Cup tie.

Jesper Christiansen's howler gifted City their opening goal after 29 minutes as the Copenhagen goalkeeper allowed Nedum Onuoha's weak shot to slip through his fingers and over the line.

City continued to press forward but Copenhagen equalised against the run of play on 56 minutes when Ailton capitalised on poor defending to head in William Kvist's corner.

Stephen Ireland restored City's advantage five minutes later with a fine finish from Shaun Wright-Phillips' cross.

However, Martin Vingaard nodded home Dame N'Doye's cross in stoppage time to leave City with work to do in the return leg at Eastlands later this month.

Mark Hughes' side started brightly and carved out a good chance in the 11th minute when Ireland split the defence with a superb ball.

Wayne Bridge latched on to it and delivered the cross but Craig Bellamy had strayed offside and the move broke down.

The Danes responded and Micah Richards did well under pressure to clear a corner from Oscar Wendt at the back post four minutes later.

Then Wright-Phillips made space down the right but his curling cross was easily cut out.

The winger again got clear in the 20th minute and tried to pick out Robinho only for the ball to go behind the Brazilian.

Robinho repaid the favour two minutes later by setting up Wright-Phillips but he saw his shot blocked by Christiansen.

Copenhagen were looking dangerous from set-pieces and Mikael Antonsson got clear of his marker in the 27th minute but headed over the bar following a corner from Wendt.

City took the lead two minutes later, though, and chalked up a vital away goal thanks to a dreadful error from Christiansen, who allowed a weak shot from Onuoha to squirm under his body to the delight of the travelling fans.

The visitors began the second half brightly and Wright-Phillips skipped away in the 47th minute only to send his shot into the goalkeeper's body.

Play switched down to the other end and Zdenek Pospech carved out an opening for himself but dragged his effort wide of the post.

It was a brief respite for the home side, with Ireland cracking in a shot in the 52nd minute that was deflected to safety.

Vincent Kompany then sent Bellamy scampering clear down the left but his delivery was blocked.

Copenhagen hauled themselves back into the game in the 56th minute by scoring the equaliser.

Almeida was the first to react when Thomas Kristensen delivered the corner and sent a header beyond goalkeeper Shay Given.

However, City regained the lead in the 61st minute with another goal out of nothing. A cross from Wright-Phillips went through the legs of Atiba Hutchinson and direct to Ireland.

Such is the midfielder's confidence he was not going to waste the chance and he rattled a shot into the corner of the net past a stranded Christiansen.

Substitute Jesper Gronkjaer almost pulled Copenhagen level for a second time in the 81st minute but Richard Dunne came to the rescue and cleared off the line.

City then launched a swift counter-attack and Robinho should have extended their lead but showed a distinct lack of confidence to deliver a shot into the goalkeeper's body from a good position.

Copenhagen equalised again when substitutes Vingaard and Dame N'Doye - both on their debuts - linked up in stoppage time for the former to head home.

I really do have a good feeling about Citys chances of getting to the Final of the UEFA cup.

I see a City v AC Milan final :D

If you look at the teams left, they have a great chance. The main dangers, Villa and Fiorentina, had bad results, and they will be lucky to qualify. Spurs are all but out.

The other Italian teams, Sampdoria and Udinese are nothing special. Ajax are crap this year. Valencia are not the team they used to be.

Looking at team selections, and listening to Hughes, I think they really are believing they can win it this year!!

Beat Copenhagen, get into the last 16. All they have to do is then beat 3 more teams and we are in the final :D

Man City Uefa Cup winners 2008-9. Has a nice ring to it. :o

Pretty much the same squad as we fielded last week to Portsmouth. And we lost that one !! Still without SWP, as he is still serving a ban for doing exactly the same thing as Ronaldo does, week in, week out but gets away with it :D

We should be a lot stronger defensively, this week. Both Dunney and Micah are back, so I guess Micah will replace the young kid at RB and Dunney will replace Onuha.

Zabaleta, Ireland, De Jong and Elano or else he will play ultra cautious and play Onuha at the back with Kompany playing in front of the back 4, which would mean Elano dropping to sub.

If Robinho is in the mood, it could be interesting, as Gerard isnt playing. If Robinho doesnt turn up, then it will be an easy win for Liverpool.

The first 20 minutes will reveal all. :D OR :o

hopefully your defence will continue its recent form, though shay given usually has a good game against us.

Hopefully we will have Micah Richards and Dunney playing, along with De Jong. So we might be a tad steadier at the back.

But i'm not holding out too much hope for that one :o