Manchester City

mrbojangles

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

But we have started afresh and you have a different team

We have bought a keeper and box to box midfielder and 2 squad players, not much different. Hopefully this will help us not play the last month of the season with 12 first team squad players left, like last season. 

I don't know why you want to play down the fact you are so much superior...

17 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I don't know why you want to play down the fact you are so much superior...

It comes from decades of supporting a roller coaster club. I'm never cocky about us winning. Might brag a bit after but never before the fat lady and all that.

Don't forget the season before last Chelsea romped it but we bought well and Pep got them playing his way.

As for Liverpool. You were only a smidgen short last year particularly in goal. That hole seems to have been plugged so I reckon it's you who is playing down your chances

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It comes from decades of supporting a roller coaster club. I'm never cocky about us winning. Might brag a bit after but never before the fat lady and all that.

Don't forget the season before last Chelsea romped it but we bought well and Pep got them playing his way.

As for Liverpool. You were only a smidgen short last year particularly in goal. That hole seems to have been plugged so I reckon it's you who is playing down your chances

Pep paid a fortune to sort out his backline last season, and you did it without one of them, now he's back (Mendy).

Team has been set up right for a couple of seasons now, and settled. I don't see why you can't emulate last season.

Last season was the best I've seen a team play in EPL history, 32 <deleted>' wins.

We are the best we've been in a long time, but it just so happens to coincide with a generational best team at City. 

25 points is a bit more than a smidgen, but as I said, the pressure wasn't there last season, rivals let you get on over the hill to early in the season. If we can keep up it might effect you this time.

Can't say I'm not excited for this season, I really am. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Any of you "Cityzens" ? started watching the documentary series yet? First episode is pretty good, although having to relive our league match at the Etihad wasn't nice. 

I'll watch it when I get back to the sandpit

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Yes it would take an earthquake on Moss Side for you not to win it.

Even then you'd just buy 11 players in Jan!!

They only missed out on Jorginho because he worked well with Sarri otherwise there would have been another 50m quids worth!!!

Trying to make Spurs out as a rival is ridiculous and basically trying to play up what has become a one team league, although i'll freely give Liverpool the credit of being the only team to get anywhere near City.  Everyone else is effectively fighting in a different league, much as City fans try to convince themselves otherwise.

City should breeze through the league and their target obviously to win or get in the CL final, and probably plus another domestic trophy.  Unless of course they run into the mighty Wigan again!

Edited by carmine

19 minutes ago, carmine said:

They only missed out on Jorginho because he worked well with Sarri otherwise there would have been another 50m quids worth!!!

No. Jorginho had his eyes set on City and we had agreed 44m. But Napoli played hard ball after Chelsea put in a 53m bid and 7m comp for losing Sarri. City wouldn't budge on the 44m and so Napoli told Jorginho if he didn't accept Chelsea he would sit on the bench. Another example of City digging in their heels on prices but you guys don't want to know that, you just want to believe we throw money around

29 minutes ago, carmine said:

Trying to make Spurs out as a rival is ridiculous and basically trying to play up what has become a one team league

Oh stop it. Why is it so hard to retain winning the league and not been done for years? You guys are just building us up, to play your own chances down

• Like 1

Talking of goalies. Did you see the Aguero goal the other night? Ederson's distribution has to be the best I've ever seen. Strokes it around at the back, we pulled the Huddersfield players forward into our half, then he does a pin point 80 or so yard pass to Aguero

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Talking of goalies. Did you see the Aguero goal the other night? Ederson's distribution has to be the best I've ever seen. Strokes it around at the back, we pulled the Huddersfield players forward into our half, then he does a pin point 80 or so yard pass to Aguero

And the exquisite left footed chip from Aguero that he made look so easy. His hat trick earned him a smooch from Pep. Happy to see that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I thought that was very noticeable too.  He's a superb keeper, and terrific distribution.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Oh stop it. Why is it so hard to retain winning the league and not been done for years? You guys are just building us up, to play your own chances down

Think what you like but we're no rivals.  As a regular columnist for the Guardian wrote a mere two/three weeks ago Tottenham will quite possibly punch ridiculously over their weight and finish in the top four yet again.  Now, you might not agree with those sentiments but note that there was no mention of us being a rival to you.  Then you have new build Chelsea and Arsenal and the shambles created by Mourinho.

Realistically Liverpool are the only side even close to being a rival and if they get hit with a couple of nasty long term injuries then it might well be a championship by 19 points ago.

1 minute ago, carmine said:

Realistically Liverpool are the only side even close to being a rival and if they get hit with a couple of nasty long term injuries then it might well be a championship by 19 points ago.

Thought we weren't allowed to use injuries as an excuse in here. Have I mentioned KdB is injured ?

1 minute ago, carmine said:

Think what you like but we're no rivals.  As a regular columnist for the Guardian wrote a mere two/three weeks ago Tottenham will quite possibly punch ridiculously over their weight and finish in the top four yet again.  Now, you might not agree with those sentiments but note that there was no mention of us being a rival to you.  Then you have new build Chelsea and Arsenal and the shambles created by Mourinho.

After the news this morning about Bravo, an injury to Ederson could be very bad news. Not that I'd wish to see Bravo in goal, but an untested 20 year old could be even worse.

Just now, jellydog said:

After the news this morning about Bravo, an injury to Ederson could be very bad news. Not that I'd wish to see Bravo in goal, but an untested 20 year old could be even worse.

To be fair JD, he wouldn't have much to do!!! ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

A smidgen short maybe but 25 points adrift of City.  Thats an enormous gap.  And i do understand the club that City were but surely the club now is a world away from the old City.

28 minutes ago, carmine said:

A smidgen short maybe but 25 points adrift of City.  Thats an enormous gap.  And i do understand the club that City were but surely the club now is a world away from the old City.

The smidgen bit was associated with the likes of last night. Liverpool fans have said, last season they would have probably drawn last nights game but now they are starting to pick up those points that were dropped last year.

As for City. I thank the lord we are a world away from the old city but that nervousness stays with you.

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

The smidgen bit was associated with the likes of last night. Liverpool fans have said, last season they would have probably drawn last nights game but now they are starting to pick up those points that were dropped last year.

As for City. I thank the lord we are a world away from the old city but that nervousness stays with you

Funny that because i still don't relax with Spurs unless were three goals up with ten minutes to go!!!

33 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I don't believe that for a second Carms, and if you're honest you don't either. :thumbsup:

I'm only joking but in truth i think Bravo is dog average at best and for all we know the young lad might be better!!

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

I'm only joking but in truth i think Bravo is dog average at best and for all we know the young lad might be better!!

But losing Ederson would be a proper loss. He is absolutely pivotal in our current style of play making, not just shot stopping. Hopefully Grimshaw is learning lots from him

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Thought we weren't allowed to use injuries as an excuse in here. Have I mentioned KdB is injured ?

Obviously a squad strength issue. I don't subscribe to the view us or Liverpool can't compete with City over 90 mins....far more difficult over a season with injuries to key players.

Its a luxury City can afford that others cannot.

3 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Obviously a squad strength issue. I don't subscribe to the view us or Liverpool can't compete with City over 90 mins....far more difficult over a season with injuries to key players.

Its a luxury City can afford that others cannot.

Absolutely agree, both of us can go toe to toe with them for a match but not over the season, they just have too much depth.  Injuries will affect us far more than them, unless of course both Spurs and Liverpool manage to go through an entire season without serious injury like Leicester did.  And thats highly unlikely!!