Non-B Visa 11 months 3 weeks old - can it be extended in Thailand for new job?

My existing Non-B visa associated with a school in Bangkok expires on 24 October 2014.

I started a new job at another school last week. They tell me I must go to Lao and come back with a 90-day tourist visa so they can process Non-B and work permit applications.

Do I have any other option?

Thanks for your advice.

Why do so many people get confused with a Visa and extension of stay?

If you enter the country on a Non-b, for the 1st 3 months would you say you are on a Non-b visa?

Does the type of visa I enter the country affect the possible extension of stay available to me?

Why do so many people get confused with a Visa and extension of stay?

If you enter the country on a Non-b, for the 1st 3 months would you say you are on a Non-b visa?

Does the type of visa I enter the country affect the possible extension of stay available to me?

Yes, you would be on a 90 day Non Immigrant 'B' Visa Entry.

Yes, the visa you use when entering Thailand can limit the subsequent options for Extension of Permission to stay.

The OP could be on a Non-B visa, I know when I came my school sent me the paperwork and I arrived with a 12 month multi-entry Non-B. Though chances are that they are on an extension of stay, better to check and not jump to conclusions ?

If you truly are on a Non-B VISA , then quickly do a border run and get another 90 day entry.