Cheap Flights To Los For Aussie Members

Donz

Hey I heard there is flights from australia to Bangkok from $169.00 in November, its on the news and everything but when I do it on the website its says $1000 odd dollars.

Anyone know whats happening about them

Jet Star air fares don't include meals. You have to pay extra for food service. Jet Star only fly domestic routes at this stage. No long haul travel.

Most airline food isn't worth eating anyway and when the pilot drives over all those bumps in the sky, it does make my dry cleaner happy. :o

Hey I heard there is flights from australia to Bangkok from $169.00 in November, its on the news and everything but when I do it on the website its says $1000 odd dollars.

Checked Jetstar's website yesterday. They have one flight a week BKK-SYD via MEL at THB4400, but adding the "surcharges" bumps the total price to double. That is one-way! The return sector cost AUD435, "surcharges" extra! Not finished yet...they want to charge for meals, blankets, etc.

You're better off flying with a regular airline.

This is a promotional fare ( $169 ).There will be many restrictions on these flights.add taxes and fuel surcharges and tickets may only be valid for 7 days. No refunds,no meals,no movies but you will be issued with 1 bottle of water on boarding. Only from Sydney and Melbourne.

Buyer beware -read the fine print carefully.

its early days yet for this budget international airline & it will evolve into a much better deal in years to come.

also, it does put pressure on other arilines to compete in price & that cant be a bad thing.

the problem with one way tickets though, is that most countries immigration i travel to, require an onward international segment. dont know how thai immigration will view a one way ticket especially in view of a budget airline ticket. might be a bad look for the traveller.

Checked Jetstar's website yesterday. They have one flight a week BKK-SYD via MEL at THB4400, but adding the "surcharges" bumps the total price to double. That is one-way! The return sector cost AUD435, "surcharges" extra! Not finished yet...they want to charge for meals, blankets, etc.

You're better off flying with a regular airline.

Having said the above, I want to add that Jetstar is a very good airline. I prefer it to Tiger Airways anytime. Wish Jetstar will provide a good and reasonably-priced option to Australia - one of my favorite countries.

I checked some ticket prices to Australia about 2 months ago.

From Bangkok was almost twice as much as from Singapore. I saw some prices around 11K baht return filghts!

It might be worth to have a stopover if you don't mind spending the time in SIN.

I did not buy any so i am not sure if tickets can be easily bought and if they are restricted for only singapore agencies.

I heard on the news that Jetstar has concerning safety issue hehehe

I will just stick to my usual singapore/british and qantas

Jetstar ARE Qantas.

It is good news about Jetstar, with their "initial" specials (long since sold out) pricing East Coast Australia to BKK/Phuket for around AU$450. The same flights are now priced at closer to $800 at best, but still a cheap ticket.

Jetstar begin services on the 30th November from memory, and have a full search engine for prices, and seats.

I cancelled my pre-booked Bus/Class airfare to Bangkok at Christmas, with another airline, to give Jetstars new "star-class" a go instead. At around $1900 Brisbane to Bangkok, (now more like $2200), it's still a pretty good price for that extra comfort and service.

I heard on the news that Jetstar has concerning safety issue hehehe

I will just stick to my usual singapore/british and qantas

Jetstar ARE Qantas.

It is good news about Jetstar, with their "initial" specials (long since sold out) pricing East Coast Australia to BKK/Phuket for around AU$450. The same flights are now priced at closer to $800 at best, but still a cheap ticket.

Jetstar begin services on the 30th November from memory, and have a full search engine for prices, and seats.

I cancelled my pre-booked Bus/Class airfare to Bangkok at Christmas, with another airline, to give Jetstars new "star-class" a go instead. At around $1900 Brisbane to Bangkok, (now more like $2200), it's still a pretty good price for that extra comfort and service.

Comfort with Jetstar :o business class just have a choice whether to use the outside toilets or not , always disturbing when the stewardess has longer facial hair than myself :D :jap:Nignoy

Quote from Bangkok Post - TRAVELLERS'S TALES

Fair game for a tease

DON ROSS

When an airline posts a 1,000 baht fare for a 9-hour flight between Bangkok and Melbourne you have to say someone thinks consumers are a gullible bunch at best.

Jetstar, an offshoot of Qantas, prides itself on always delivering the lowest fare in Australia's highly contested domestic market. Every day it battles for booking against archrival Virgin Blue. Has it outdone itself this time as it prepares to launch its first international services to Southeast Asia?

The temptation was too much to resist. I tapped in http://www.jetset.com to try my luck.

Jetset was selling a 1,000 baht fare on an unspecified number of seats available for just three days to promote the launch of three weekly flights Bangkok-Melbourne due to start this November. A similar 910 baht treat was up for grabs on three weekly services between Phuket and Sydney.

If I was lucky the advertisement claims I would be able to use the ticket for flights any time up to early mid-2007 although I noted the web site warning that says the flights could be cancelled at any time. Not very reassuring but why not see if the 1,000 baht fare was an achievable reality?

The first web page asks you to click on either the one-way or roundtrip button and tap in the travel dates. Not a hint of a fare bargain? Depending on the dates you choose, certain fares will pop up on the second web page.

For example if you type in January 23, 2007, the lowest available fare is 8,400 baht and that continues all the way to end of February when the server closes down your search with a "communication error."

I stayed with the inaugural date November 23, hoping that would deliver the world's lowest fare for an 8 hours 50-minute nonstop flight.

Jetstar's second page was promising. Three fares were neatly presented the teaser one-way 1000 baht fare, a 15,200 baht flexi fare and the top-of-the-line 20,900 baht Star Class fare that gives you a Qantas premium economy class seat and meal service. The two latter fares are roundtrip.

Now all I have to do is get through the web site's page three and sign off with a credit card payment. Almost immediately, the 1,000 baht fare begins its retreat into a fairy tale world. Do I want a meal, the airline asks. Of course, I do on a long-haul flight and knowing this particular airline specifically forbids carry on meals from the airport's fast food outlet.

That ups the fare by 700 baht, about the same price as a buffet lunch at a five-star hotel here in Bangkok.

Then it asks me if I want a pillow, blanket and an amenities bag? How many hours have we shivered tucked in under a flimsy airline blanket wishing someone would fix the draft of artic air blowing down our necks?

I can suffer a flight without free samples from unknown cosmetic companies, but a pillow, blanket and an eye-mask are essential for flight survival. Add another 200 baht to the credit card.

Now the truth dawns as the web site tells me it about to deduct 5,795 baht from my credit card. I had pursued a mirage through the web-site all based on a fare the airline had not the slightest intention of giving to a single passenger.

Of course, the airline will argue that the asterisk on the advertising clearly states that the surcharge and tax are not included. That should be sufficient to warn passengers that the 1,000 baht fare is actually fictitious.

But why bother with the pretence of a 1,000 baht fare in the first place, I mused as I clicked okay and gained an almost instant confirmation on the booking and payment.

Jetstar lives up to its claim that it always delivers the lowest fare between two points so why tease customers?

Where can you find a Bangkok-Melbourne one-way fare for 5,795 baht. The answer is you cannot but that should not detract from the obvious disdain that most airlines adopt when dealing with customers.

It is a pity that Jetstar started its career in Bangkok with a merry-go-round approach to fare presentation especially when its bottom line price is a solid 70 percent discount on the nearest competitor.

Today's cheapest fare on a full service airline between Bangkok and Melbourne is 27,000 baht return, on a Thai Airways International flight that departs at 0800. There is a drawback; TG 991 makes a pit stop in Sydney for one hour and 35 minutes. That extends the flight time to Melbourne of 11 hours and 45 minutes.

THAI's nonstop service to Melbourne TG 981 is more logical with a fare of 29,000 baht, valid for 60 days. It departs at 0015 and arrives in Melbourne at 1205. These are bottom line fares inclusive of surcharges and taxes. That is the only way I want to view a price tag. Give me the bottom line and recognise that travellers are not gullible fools who can be teased by silly unrealistic offers.

An airline fare has to be one of the few commodities that fails to sport the correct price on the label. We can hardly imagine a beer company adding a surcharge due to the vagaries in the supply channel of essential ingredients such as hops and water. Yet the airlines get away with it and consumer protection agencies turn a blind eye to potential indiscretions.

Of course, Jetstar will claim it is unfair to single it out as a blatant teaser. Yet the airline does omit to explain just what is included in the flat 3,895 baht surcharge. It mentions a tax, but fails to state the amount, and how much of the surcharge goes to Thailand's revenue department.

We might also mull over the fact that payment goes through a web site, so is the tax payable to the Australian or Thai government on a purchase in cyberspace?

While recognising, Jetstar is presenting an unrivalled low-cost travel option to two Australian cities, its opening salvo in the market appears to suggest that it believes Thailand's consumer are fair game for a tease.

Quote from Bangkok Post - TRAVELLERS'S TALES

Fair game for a tease

DON ROSS

When an airline posts a 1,000 baht fare for a 9-hour flight between Bangkok and Melbourne you have to say someone thinks consumers are a gullible bunch at best.

Jetstar, an offshoot of Qantas, prides itself on always delivering the lowest fare in Australia's highly contested domestic market. Every day it battles for booking against archrival Virgin Blue. Has it outdone itself this time as it prepares to launch its first international services to Southeast Asia?

The temptation was too much to resist. I tapped in http://www.jetset.com to try my luck.

Jetset was selling a 1,000 baht fare on an unspecified number of seats available for just three days to promote the launch of three weekly flights Bangkok-Melbourne due to start this November. A similar 910 baht treat was up for grabs on three weekly services between Phuket and Sydney.

If I was lucky the advertisement claims I would be able to use the ticket for flights any time up to early mid-2007 although I noted the web site warning that says the flights could be cancelled at any time. Not very reassuring but why not see if the 1,000 baht fare was an achievable reality?

The first web page asks you to click on either the one-way or roundtrip button and tap in the travel dates. Not a hint of a fare bargain? Depending on the dates you choose, certain fares will pop up on the second web page.

For example if you type in January 23, 2007, the lowest available fare is 8,400 baht and that continues all the way to end of February when the server closes down your search with a "communication error."

I stayed with the inaugural date November 23, hoping that would deliver the world's lowest fare for an 8 hours 50-minute nonstop flight.

Jetstar's second page was promising. Three fares were neatly presented the teaser one-way 1000 baht fare, a 15,200 baht flexi fare and the top-of-the-line 20,900 baht Star Class fare that gives you a Qantas premium economy class seat and meal service. The two latter fares are roundtrip.

Now all I have to do is get through the web site's page three and sign off with a credit card payment. Almost immediately, the 1,000 baht fare begins its retreat into a fairy tale world. Do I want a meal, the airline asks. Of course, I do on a long-haul flight and knowing this particular airline specifically forbids carry on meals from the airport's fast food outlet.

That ups the fare by 700 baht, about the same price as a buffet lunch at a five-star hotel here in Bangkok.

Then it asks me if I want a pillow, blanket and an amenities bag? How many hours have we shivered tucked in under a flimsy airline blanket wishing someone would fix the draft of artic air blowing down our necks?

I can suffer a flight without free samples from unknown cosmetic companies, but a pillow, blanket and an eye-mask are essential for flight survival. Add another 200 baht to the credit card.

Now the truth dawns as the web site tells me it about to deduct 5,795 baht from my credit card. I had pursued a mirage through the web-site all based on a fare the airline had not the slightest intention of giving to a single passenger.

Of course, the airline will argue that the asterisk on the advertising clearly states that the surcharge and tax are not included. That should be sufficient to warn passengers that the 1,000 baht fare is actually fictitious.

But why bother with the pretence of a 1,000 baht fare in the first place, I mused as I clicked okay and gained an almost instant confirmation on the booking and payment.

Jetstar lives up to its claim that it always delivers the lowest fare between two points so why tease customers?

Where can you find a Bangkok-Melbourne one-way fare for 5,795 baht. The answer is you cannot but that should not detract from the obvious disdain that most airlines adopt when dealing with customers.

It is a pity that Jetstar started its career in Bangkok with a merry-go-round approach to fare presentation especially when its bottom line price is a solid 70 percent discount on the nearest competitor.

Today's cheapest fare on a full service airline between Bangkok and Melbourne is 27,000 baht return, on a Thai Airways International flight that departs at 0800. There is a drawback; TG 991 makes a pit stop in Sydney for one hour and 35 minutes. That extends the flight time to Melbourne of 11 hours and 45 minutes.

THAI's nonstop service to Melbourne TG 981 is more logical with a fare of 29,000 baht, valid for 60 days. It departs at 0015 and arrives in Melbourne at 1205. These are bottom line fares inclusive of surcharges and taxes. That is the only way I want to view a price tag. Give me the bottom line and recognise that travellers are not gullible fools who can be teased by silly unrealistic offers.

An airline fare has to be one of the few commodities that fails to sport the correct price on the label. We can hardly imagine a beer company adding a surcharge due to the vagaries in the supply channel of essential ingredients such as hops and water. Yet the airlines get away with it and consumer protection agencies turn a blind eye to potential indiscretions.

Of course, Jetstar will claim it is unfair to single it out as a blatant teaser. Yet the airline does omit to explain just what is included in the flat 3,895 baht surcharge. It mentions a tax, but fails to state the amount, and how much of the surcharge goes to Thailand's revenue department.

We might also mull over the fact that payment goes through a web site, so is the tax payable to the Australian or Thai government on a purchase in cyberspace?

While recognising, Jetstar is presenting an unrivalled low-cost travel option to two Australian cities, its opening salvo in the market appears to suggest that it believes Thailand's consumer are fair game for a tease.

Excellent article, and good points to boot....

I'm wondering where in cyberspace the author learned that StarClass provides only a Qantas premium economy seat, and not a larger bus/class seat? (I must have missed that part, and will find out in December exactly what StarClass provides outside of the QANTAS club.

Secondly, I should just point out that I'll be flying from Brisbane (to Melbourne then to BKK). included in the fare, for the same price as just flying from Melbourne... so that's worth mentioning.

Edited by jingjoe

I checked this out the day the 1000 baht special was advertised in the Bangkok Post and the cheapest all up fares i could find were 6000 baht Bkk-Melb and 11000 baht Melb-Bkk.

Still pretty good deals IMHO.