AirAsia kicks man off flight for carry-on rage (VIDEO)

webfact

I travel with a laptop bag that weighs in at over 13 kilo, the laptop and power brick alone weigh over 7 I was challenged once and when I removed the laptop and power supply they realised I could never get it below 7kilo and there was no way the laptop was going into checked baggage so they abandoned any challenge they were thinking, I travel light no other bags or luggage only - happened once in over 60 flights

If a bag fits in the overhead locker what's the problem = I've seen people boarding flights with two small cases and a pile of other %%%%% unchallenged

In saying that this guy should have been arrested and thrown off the plane and banned from travel - a rude mouth piece

When did you buy that laptop ? In 1998 ?

Mine weighs under 1.5 kilo .

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody banished him from the plane. They said they the bag was too heavy. That's all. He is a bit retarded.

He probably paid 600 baht for the low fare ticket and could not believe he had to pay 900 baht for the luggage.

If he is that poor in the first place he should have stayed home in his rural village and do some honest work.

I would probably do exactly the same as this guy. I take a domestic flight every week, many people take oversized and overweight luggage on the plane. I agree the airlines should check each handcarry lugage but they don't. Picking out one guy is just shameful and for sure an insult to that man.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Great; then I would expect, and not be disappointed, to see your misbehavior handled in the same fashion. Do that enough, and it'll stop happening. THAT's the desired outcome with respect to self-interested, spoiled people who've talked themselves into believing they don't need to play by the rules or be considerate of those that do..

I would probably do exactly the same as this guy. I take a domestic flight every week, many people take oversized and overweight luggage on the plane. I agree the airlines should check each handcarry lugage but they don't. Picking out one guy is just shameful and for sure an insult to that man.

Great; then I would expect, and not be disappointed, to see your misbehavior handled in the same fashion. Do that enough, and it'll stop happening. THAT's the desired outcome with respect to self-interested, spoiled people who've talked themselves into believing they don't need to play by the rules or be considerate of those that do..

try to see it in it's context and maybe you will understand. A nervous passenger picked out for overweight handluggage in view of all the other passengers. The crew should have known that making a fuss of this might create overreaction from the passenger. Air crew should be trained to avoid conflicts on a plane and certainly not ignite them. Thats why luggage overweight should be checked by the airline prior to boarding. Looking at the tone of your reaction, you could be a potential risk to much more than an airline.

Aside from 'losing it' by throwing the bag out, that hardly constitutes rage. As for cheapskate airlines, Air Asia is not even in the same league of miserable stinginess as Easy Jet and Ryanair

Well, I prefer EasyJet to Ryanair any day. I used to travel the routes between Oslo-Torp to Newcastle and London-Stansted. But again, I played by the rules because they have tight margins.The people who were the most obnoxious, were many of the super-arrogant Norwegians, pushing and shoving to get on first to grab the best seats on the late night Ryanair flights. They would jump ques and ignore all the rules, from check-in to getting off at the other end. Rich golfers, flying from Oslo to Glasgow, trying to get on with loads of luggage, arguing, .. then laughing together at their sport of harassing the check-in teams. I used to love seeing them having to pay more. Rich bastards who can afford to fly business, just having fun with their £1 tickets.Back to Air Asia, once having learnt the online booking system, remembering to tailor the flight to suit my needs (I booked priority seats at a time I need them after a leg injury) ... the luggage, the meals, everything, it has become a breeze. The only thing I didn't like was the transit/change-over at KL on the way to Melbourne. But that has all been fixed now too. It's great.

The Captain ordered him off because he was throwing a tantrum, being rude to staff and delaying the flight. If he had just gone and checked the bag in without making a fuss he would been able to continue with his journey. The other passengers are also chanting and cheering for him to get off.

He kept repeating that he carried his bag onboard on the way there so he should be allowed to carry it onboard on the way back. Apparently it's lost in him that he wasn't caught out the first time.

There's another clip of this chap trying to argue with a policeman for clamping his car. The policeman doesn't argue, he just ignores him except for to point at the No Parking sign and gets on his bike while this tosser gets more and more agitated while repeating "Are you a policeman? Are you really a policeman? Why aren't you answering me? Yeah there's a sign but did I see it? Did I see it?! I'm asking you, did I see that sign?".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSuETkxhq-0

Edited by Trembly

try to see it in it's context and maybe you will understand. A nervous passenger picked out for overweight handluggage in view of all the other passengers. The crew should have known that making a fuss of this might create overreaction from the passenger. Air crew should be trained to avoid conflicts on a plane and certainly not ignite them. Thats why luggage overweight should be checked by the airline prior to boarding. Looking at the tone of your reaction, you could be a potential risk to much more than an airline.

Don't be silly. He was "picked out" for no reason other than having an overweight bag. Had he cooperated and simply let them stow his bag where it belonged, there'd have been no problem. You sympathize with someone who selfishly breaks a well-publicized rule and then provokes an incident on a crowded airplane over it, whereas I sympathize with the flight attendants just trying to do their jobs, and *I'm* the potential risk. thumbsup.gif

Having any trouble staying on that barstool?

• Like 1

Definitely surcharge for over weight passengers........and if needed special seats.

How about creating a weight / size index, say 5 different categories from s to xxl? Then changing aircraft layout to seats and space from s to xxl. Seat and charge passengers accordingly.

Why stop at aircraft? Do the same for busses, trains, Mtr, taxi, cinemas, theaters, hospial beds, public pools etc.

Lets not forget seats at the local beer bar....

Is the world goin crazy?

Don't be silly. He was "picked out" for no reason other than having an overweight bag. Had he cooperated and simply let them stow his bag where it belonged, there'd have been no problem. You sympathize with someone who selfishly breaks a well-publicized rule and then provokes an incident on a crowded airplane over it, whereas I sympathize with the flight attendants just trying to do their jobs, and *I'm* the potential risk. thumbsup.gif

I respect your opinion and shouldn't have made a nasty remark for which I appologize. Nevertheless I am convinced the airline in question could have avoided this clash. Btw I don't drink alcohol..

Several months ago Air Asia tried to make me pay 1200 Baht for a carry on bag that was 5 kilos over the 7 kilo limit. That was bad enough - but then insisted I had to check it - not carry on... I said no - my computer and valuable documents are in that bag and I will not let it be checked ... the exact purpose I have it for... She would not relent on the checking of the bag. So I demanded a supervisor. She came - we went though the whole thing again. I told them that if 7 Kilos were allowed and free what is the reason I must pay for 12 kilos? No logical answer... I shouldn't have - but I wasn't on an aircraft - so I made a fuss about Baht and Farang ... The supervisor said - Okay -okay -okay - pay 300 Baht and we will special tag it and you must give it to the flight attendant for special storage up front in the plane. i said okay - I hurried to the gate - almost didn't make it... And while boarding I handed the bag to a flight attendant - pointing to the special tag --- she wouldn't take it and said - store it over my seat... WOW!

Oh I forgot --- to solve the problem earlier... I said - then let me go over to that shop over there and buy a large handbag - carry all looking thing and will reduce my carry on bag to 7 kilo and have a Personal Bag with the rest - which is allowed on Air Asia and most other air lines .. She said - NO! That is when I began my fussing about Baht and Farangs...

Most airlines (average) - Domestic flights - One checked bag of about 20 kilos, One carry on bag for overhead 7 kilos ... And a personal bag ...big hand bag often for ladies, small backpacks, and laptop bags are all general seen as 'Personal Bags' ... I should have made sure I had a personal bag which I most often use ... but didn't that time.

first letter J last letter K...and it's not hillbilly !

I respect your opinion and shouldn't have made a nasty remark for which I appologize. Nevertheless I am convinced the airline in question could have avoided this clash. Btw I don't drink alcohol..

Yes, the airline could have avoided the clash - you're correct - by letting the passenger break the rule, thus inconveniencing other passengers who don't, and encouraging the same unacceptable behavior in others. What you're missing is that the passenger could ALSO have avoided the clash - by simply complying with the rule in the first place, as most others do, OR by manning up to having been caught, letting the attendant take his bag and stow it (in the appropriate place), and NOT throwing a juvenile tantrum. The right decision was made. The customer is NOT always right; this one certainly was not. He should be placed on a no-fly list for some period of time (not for deciding to ignore the carry-on limits, but for the disruptive behavior).

If you think such rules are somehow unfair or that you should be an exception to them, find another way to travel or write your congressman... Disrupt a cabin crew and you belong OFF the airplane.

well done air asia.

just flew back from korea to bkk ysterday. the crap people bring in as hand luguage is a bloody joke. it ridiculous. no exuse.

i wish they would throw them all off.

we traveled as a family of 3. my checked in baggage was less then sm plonkers hand baggage, it a bloody joke.

again, wellll done air asia.

throw out all the idiots who think they are better than any one else.

Yes, the airline could have avoided the clash - you're correct - by letting the passenger break the rule, thus inconveniencing other passengers who don't, and encouraging the same unacceptable behavior in others. What you're missing is that the passenger could ALSO have avoided the clash - by simply complying with the rule in the first place, as most others do, OR by manning up to having been caught, letting the attendant take his bag and stow it (in the appropriate place), and NOT throwing a juvenile tantrum. The right decision was made. The customer is NOT always right; this one certainly was not. He should be placed on a no-fly list for some period of time (not for deciding to ignore the carry-on limits, but for the disruptive behavior).

If you think such rules are somehow unfair or that you should be an exception to them, find another way to travel or write your congressman... Disrupt a cabin crew and you belong OFF the airplane.

you are missing my point, i do agree with the handcarry lugage limitations, but they should check them BEFORE boarding NOT in the plane. So this whole clash could have been easily avoided if the airlines would have followed their own rules which are very important for the safety of all passengers. In the plane it is the responsibility of the crew to keep the situation as less stressful as possible. If I were the direct boss I would have fired the crew member in question.

Reported in Thai media, apparently this man had nothing in his baggage to begin with, which explains why he was able to toss it out of the plane. It also makes you wonder if this man was actually engaged in a possible publicity stunt, in conjunction with Air Asia, since they allowed him thereafter to travel on the next flight. I wouldn’t it put past them, since air line staff demonstrated a very cool and tolerate approach to dealing with this incident also publishing video imagery from his camera phone. Already Air Asia have gained significant free publicity from this stunt, if indeed this was staged.

Edited by MK1
  • Like 1

I travel with a laptop bag that weighs in at over 13 kilo, the laptop and power brick alone weigh over 7 I was challenged once and when I removed the laptop and power supply they realised I could never get it below 7kilo and there was no way the laptop was going into checked baggage so they abandoned any challenge they were thinking, I travel light no other bags or luggage only - happened once in over 60 flights

If a bag fits in the overhead locker what's the problem = I've seen people boarding flights with two small cases and a pile of other %%%%% unchallenged

In saying that this guy should have been arrested and thrown off the plane and banned from travel - a rude mouth piece

So if what's in the bag weighs 30 kilo but fits and other bags over weight in same locker all over weight what do you think might happen to that locker catch in turbulence. Saftey that's what's the problem. Any decent airline should ask to weigh cabin luggage when checking in along with hold luggage. More than 7kg then its in the hold or not going. Aircraft manufacturers give the 7kg rule for a reason the overhead bin has a limit.

you are missing my point, i do agree with the handcarry lugage limitations, but they should check them BEFORE boarding NOT in the plane. So this whole clash could have been easily avoided if the airlines would have followed their own rules which are very important for the safety of all passengers. In the plane it is the responsibility of the crew to keep the situation as less stressful as possible. If I were the direct boss I would have fired the crew member in question.

That a lowlife is somehow able to evade detection in the first place (and this thread has mentioned ways in which that's done...), is no justification for a flight attendant having to give him a "pass" later on onboard. If you fail to comply with the rule, then you're "at risk" no matter when the breach is discovered. Inability to enforce the rule "earlier in the process" doesn't in any way relieve you of the responsibility to comply with it. You think getting over on airline employees prior to boarding makes you "immune" to discovery & appropriate handling of your carry-ons by attendants onboard. Are you under the impression that the cabin door is some sort of "carry-on amnesty" goal post? If you get that far you've "gotten away with it"; "no takebacks", na-na-na-na-na. Absolutely ridiculous, incredibly juvenile, and of course, a complete fiction. It's a rule (that actually has a purpose); it's publicized; not complying with it inconveniences, and possibly even endangers, others; you're not special; deal with it (or take your business elsewhere).

Do I actually have any say here? Nope. All I can do is sit there and watch in amusement and without sympathy when some d-bag tries to do this, gets caught, and is appropriately dealt with. (I can also try & give MY business to airlines that DO enforce their own rules that make EVERYONE'S travel easier, rather than giving in to crybabies - whether the whining species or the tantrum-throwing variant - and delinquents.)

• Like 1

Do you ever read other posts than your own? Did you ever fly domestic? The guy didn't slip through pre boarding lugage control neither did he try to evade. The airlines simlply don't check. And btw what was wrong with his carry on lugage??

Do you ever read other posts than your own? Did you ever fly domestic? The guy didn't slip through pre boarding lugage control neither did he try to evade. The airlines simlply don't check. And btw what was wrong with his carry on lugage??

Do you ever read the OP? It was overweight. (Hard to believe you've been carrying on like this for so long and aren't even aware of that as the premise for pretty much this entire discussion.) Really, dude. Catch up.

If he's trying to board with an overweight carry-on, he is by definition "trying to evade" (the weight limit), as his intention is quite obviously to avoid being caught. Moreover, this whole thread is about his going postal when he finally WAS caught, which was onboard, thereby resulting in his being removed from the aircraft.

For the twelfth time, ALL he had to do was comply and let the flight attendant stow his baggage properly and where it belonged in the first place (it is after all THEIR aircraft!) and NONE of this would've happened. It's not hard to grasp. Really.

• Like 2

Keep up withe the news pal, later it was announced lugage was empty

Have been through this entire topic (again) - every page, Pal. I see no mention here of any report that his luggage was empty. Please show us where that's been reported here.