Koh Tao murder suspects tell rights commission they were beaten

webfact

"Tourism police, tour operators and community leaders on Koh Tao yesterday held a meeting over what to do to boost tourist safety and provide better services.

The proposals included encouraging tourists to dress properly when not swimming or sunbathing, ask them not to commit intimate acts in public, as well as regulate taxi services and publishing do's and don'ts about Thai |culture on leaflets and in other media."

Is Thailand new Saudi arabia??

Koh Tao 2015

Anybody who visits Thailand might reasonably be expected to have done a bit of basic research on the country where they will be staying. Every guide book contains sensible advice, such as how to dress and conduct oneself in public. I see nothing wrong with the tourist authority and police publicly reinforcing these messages in the interests of locals and foreigners alike.

The poster's comparison with Saudi Arabia is ludicrous, as anyone even vaguely acquainted with with the Gulf state will know. Walking Saudi streets half naked, as many tourists routinely do in Thailand, and committing "intimate acts" in public can easily lead to arrest, incarceration and/or deportation. Not permitting people to drink themselves stupid to the point where they commit such offences is one way the Saudis and other nations of Islam curb such offensive behavior by tourists. Maybe Thailand has something to learn here, in respect of its own population as well as visitors from overseas.

Not just Muslim countries, but many others insist on reasonable standards of dress and behavior and have on occasion display intolerance to foreigners who flout their cultures and conventions. Young acquaintances of mine who went to Crete were manhandled by the police and pushed on to a plane home for canoodling on a public beach. The story made indignant headlines in the UK. A few days later an English woman sunbathing nude on an isolated cove along the same beach had to flee for her life from a passing local shepherd who had spotted her and been unable to control himself. There's a moral there somewhere.

Thailand is remarkably tolerant, in my view, about the frequently outrageous and offensive behavior of Western visitors, who would do well to conform to the old maxim, "When in Rome do as the Romans do". To do otherwise in a country where violent behavior and sexual assault are commonplace is to court not mere disapproval, but also danger - and possibly disaster.

If you think the Thai police are SO CORRUPT that they can't get at the truth in this crime, or protect any innocent tourists, then why are you still in Thailand?

Did you disbelieve the police when they helped convict the Thai railway worker recently of the rape and murder of that little girl? Or is it only when a foreigner is the victim? Correct me if I am wrong, but both cases involved a confession and DNA evidence, if I recall.

As for me, I'm withholding judgement until the DNA evidence is examined by the UK police. At some point, you have to trust someone. Or go home where it's safe, I suppose.

Two different cases!! What does Thailand have to lose by convicting a nobody railway worker? If as some people believe that there is a cover up of wealthy suspects on a island that runs exclusively on tourism then Thailand has a lot to lose.

From Post #7 above: Very disturbing but what can you do against multi millions of dollars

As Wendall (played by Willie Nelson) put it in The Electric Horseman:

Wendall: I'm gonna get me a bottle of tequila and find me one of them Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and just kinda kick back.

This is a grown-up discussion, you know. Or supposed to be at least.

Sorry but thai visa forum is infiltrated by the mafia,that means police and army henchmen.

Censorship and people on the payroll of the mafia are here and sabotage constantly this forum.

Very disturbing but what can you do against multi millions of dollars

Thailand´s system is incurable sick.

And no,this is not off topic.

This desease of corruption is everywhere and will prevail in this country,its just too deep in the society.

Really sad but there is no solution.

To install normal society in this country its too late,

Too many generations of greed army and police at work already

Impossible to repair,its just irreparable

I don't think it's impossible but the hardest part is getting it off the ground. Prayud seems to have done that.

You wish...

Sorry but thai visa forum is infiltrated by the mafia,that means police and army henchmen.

Censorship and people on the payroll of the mafia are here and sabotage constantly this forum.

This desease of corruption is everywhere and will prevail in this country,its just too deep in the society.

Errrr can you give some examples of this "inliltration by the mafia" and "sabotage" on this forum? Sounds like a bad case of paranoia. to me

If you think the Thai police are SO CORRUPT that they can't get at the truth in this crime, or protect any innocent tourists, then why are you still in Thailand?

Did you disbelieve the police when they helped convict the Thai railway worker recently of the rape and murder of that little girl? Or is it only when a foreigner is the victim? Correct me if I am wrong, but both cases involved a confession and DNA evidence, if I recall.

As for me, I'm withholding judgement until the DNA evidence is examined by the UK police. At some point, you have to trust someone. Or go home where it's safe, I suppose.

555 every time I read one of your posts, I hear it being spoken in the voice of Henry Fonda.

And every time I read one of your posts, I shake my head at the irony that you call yourself "Tom Joad".

Tom Joad would never have uttered one sentence that you have posted on these forums ... his opinions on the matter would be the exact opposite of yours.

Quite the opposite!

What a relief there still are posters out there with integrity enough to express their own opinions, instead of following the flag of the crimesolving, Thaihating and know-it-all Thaivisa-fraternity.

All whilst cross-"liking" eachothers posts!!whistling.gif

He's completely entitled to his opinion ... and I respect his right to post it regardless of whether I agree or not.

But if you think his opinions are anything like what Tom Joad's would be, then you have never read the book, or even watched the movie.

No matter how much you were beaten no matter what kind of threats are you going to sit there in silence with your life on the line.

If you guys want to believe that these 2 were privately tutored in what they had to do when reinacting the crime then you are dumb.

They knew how the murders were committed, what weapon was used, where theygot it, how many blows were struck and went through te entire act without hesitation

Not one of them but both stayed silent because they were scared they would get another beating? Never mind if found guilty the death penalty awaits them.

Not a peep out of either of them but then along come their lawyers and suddenly "We were beaten"

Of course their lawyers ...lets call them Snow White and the Seven dwarfs would never advise their client to lie so the must be innocent.

Case closed let them go because all you would be detectives on Thai visa say so

Your post has mis-statements in it (mistakes) which I'm not going to parse for you, the info is out there. So your conclusion is meaningless. Learn the facts or best keep quiet and not muddy the waters with your ill-formed opinions.

Has anyone read to book written by Aussie business get duped into a contract to supply oil rig divers for locations in Asia by some people who advertised in an oil magazine. The Aussie guy had a supply company in Australia who supplied divers on contract for oil work.

He lost some large money deposits and tried to get it back, had fight etc with the main guy Falange from US I think, this Falange guy got knife wound, it was reported to the Bangkok tourist police who arrested the Aussie guy and charged him with murder although no body found.

The book the Aussie guy wrote was unbelievable to what he went through, he spent 14yrs in prison most of the time in the BKK Hilton.

In the book he described his confession torture by the tourist police, electric shocks beating to parts of his body that do not show bruising, wet clothes over his face and the plastic bag over his face which he said was the worst.

You can buy this book in most book stores in the airports. Very frightening, you should read it. He also described his time in courts as completely useless as his defence lawyer would not insist things to the judge because you cannot push a judge in court, it is not done.

I am not accusing that the police did anything like this to the 2 your guys, just about this book. I forget the book name but it stands out on the shelf.

IIRC he said the police hit him with telephone books because they didn't leave marks. There are many ways in fact to cause pain without causing much in the way of external marks. Regardless, as was pointed out, by now they'd have disappeared.

Funny thing is there is no-one on this forum who knows what happened that night...no-one was there or witnessed it from this board...no-one knows whether the Burmese were beaten, whether they are guilty or innocent...there is a simple prejudice at work against the Thai police, meaning that if the Thai police say anything, then the posters on here will assert it is untrue. Their assertions are meaningless because they don;t know anything at all about the case...only what they have read in the press, and most of that is baloney. Witches were burned at the stake by self righteous folk like these.

• Like 1

Look at these two kids. The girl could have taken on both of them while the boy friend watched. I know for sure these kids could not beat up a British guy. Drunk it not drunk. Smell corrupted! Chia Mai

You can't know that.. maybe these two kids have been working in construction or something that made them strong and resilient.. Maybe they had one more assailant with them (police found 3 types of dna on the victims bodies from the beginning.. ) Maybe the victims were drugged .. Maybe they suprise attacked the victims striking them with a hoe in the back of the head... Getting hit in the back of the head can make anyone ko'd ...

If you're going to post your opinion get your facts straight first: David had no injuries attributable to the hoe; this is one of the inconsistencies in the police's story. Your parroting it shows how dangerously effective misinformation is, which is why certain folks hammer on these points despite being discredited; it's called pushing the propaganda and again is very effective.

• Like 1

you must be a troll or a thai police man

Hey, nothing wrong with beating and pain to get the truth. Works every time on me. First the truth comes out. Then, when the beating continues, I tell them what they want to hear. Truth and satisfaction - win-win, wouldn't you say? :-^

Or have made a pretty good sarcastic joke, which is how I read it.

• Like 2

Thailand was one of the countries US used for "rendition", as I recall. I'm sure Thai could have learned many techniques to "interrogate" without leaving marks, water boarding being most popular. Beating is so "old school". And Bush's lawyers somehow convoluted that sort of "interrogation" as not being torture, so Thais could also use that excuse. Love those cross cultural exchanges. Or as Chuck Colson famously posted on his wall "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow".

• Like 1

"Tourism police, tour operators and community leaders on Koh Tao yesterday held a meeting over what to do to boost tourist safety and provide better services.

The proposals included encouraging tourists to dress properly when not swimming or sunbathing, ask them not to commit intimate acts in public, as well as regulate taxi services and publishing do's and don'ts about Thai |culture on leaflets and in other media."

Is Thailand new Saudi arabia??

Koh Tao 2015

Anybody who visits Thailand might reasonably be expected to have done a bit of basic research on the country where they will be staying. Every guide book contains sensible advice, such as how to dress and conduct oneself in public. I see nothing wrong with the tourist authority and police publicly reinforcing these messages in the interests of locals and foreigners alike.

The poster's comparison with Saudi Arabia is ludicrous, as anyone even vaguely acquainted with with the Gulf state will know. Walking Saudi streets half naked, as many tourists routinely do in Thailand, and committing "intimate acts" in public can easily lead to arrest, incarceration and/or deportation. Not permitting people to drink themselves stupid to the point where they commit such offences is one way the Saudis and other nations of Islam curb such offensive behavior by tourists. Maybe Thailand has something to learn here, in respect of its own population as well as visitors from overseas.

Not just Muslim countries, but many others insist on reasonable standards of dress and behavior and have on occasion display intolerance to foreigners who flout their cultures and conventions. Young acquaintances of mine who went to Crete were manhandled by the police and pushed on to a plane home for canoodling on a public beach. The story made indignant headlines in the UK. A few days later an English woman sunbathing nude on an isolated cove along the same beach had to flee for her life from a passing local shepherd who had spotted her and been unable to control himself. There's a moral there somewhere.

Thailand is remarkably tolerant, in my view, about the frequently outrageous and offensive behavior of Western visitors, who would do well to conform to the old maxim, "When in Rome do as the Romans do". To do otherwise in a country where violent behavior and sexual assault are commonplace is to court not mere disapproval, but also danger - and possibly disaster.

I too have thought that the Thai's are extremely tolerant, and have myself been pretty disgusted countless times by the behaviour of foreigners in Thailand as well as elsewhere in Asia. I think though that some of this tolerance is merely self-enforced due to the income factor, but that in turn sets up inner conflict in many Thai people (those who deal with farang) which can cause explosive behaviour.

I don't think comparing Thailand to other countries in this regard is fair: East is East and West is West, if nothing else. Visitors to Thailand should try much harder to not offend.

That said, to make any connection between this and the crime at hand is ridiculous as there's not only no evidence either of the victims was behaving "improperly," they bother appeared to not be amongst the flagrant violators of Thai mores, and regardless, of course, violence of any sort, to say nothing of what was done, is an appropriate response.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

'But police spokesman Lt-General Prawuth Thawornsiri has denied the suspects' claim, saying that the men underwent three medical examinations and showed no sign of being physically assaulted.'

But why the medical examination? and 3 times?

I suppose one could ask if the examination was before or after the alleged beatings.

Then again there are other methods of torture that can be done that won’t leave physical marks. A plastic bag around the head is a form of torture?

I think it is wrong that the independent counsel is getting involved with the media trial. With the current regime there is the tendency to only report what is good for the regime.

Look at these two kids. The girl could have taken on both of them while the boy friend watched. I know for sure these kids could not beat up a British guy. Drunk it not drunk. Smell corrupted! Chia Mai

You can't know that.. maybe these two kids have been working in construction or something that made them strong and resilient.. Maybe they had one more assailant with them (police found 3 types of dna on the victims bodies from the beginning.. ) Maybe the victims were drugged .. Maybe they suprise attacked the victims striking them with a hoe in the back of the head... Getting hit in the back of the head can make anyone ko'd ...

If you're going to post your opinion get your facts straight first: David had no injuries attributable to the hoe; this is one of the inconsistencies in the police's story. Your parroting it shows how dangerously effective misinformation is, which is why certain folks hammer on these points despite being discredited; it's called pushing the propaganda and again is very effective.

Spot on. The pancake `translator` in his tv interview said David was "killed with a wine bottle" but the suspects were too drunk to remember what they did with the mystery wine bottle.

"if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Goebbels, Reichs Minister for Propaganda and National Enlightenment.

That was pre social media. "You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you cant fool all of the people all of the time!" is more like it now.

'But police spokesman Lt-General Prawuth Thawornsiri has denied the suspects' claim, saying that the men underwent three medical examinations and showed no sign of being physically assaulted.'

But why the medical examination? and 3 times?

I suppose one could ask if the examination was before or after the alleged beatings.

Then again there are other methods of torture that can be done that won’t leave physical marks. A plastic bag around the head is a form of torture?

I think it is wrong that the independent counsel is getting involved with the media trial. With the current regime there is the tendency to only report what is good for the regime.

waterboarding?

I dont want to repeat info in one of the local newspapers for fear of defamation and so those that have Thai girlfriends can have them tell you about what is being printed about the head man, the son, the Police, the fight, the date rape drug, the missing video.

Follow the money.

Anybody got any suggestions on how the PM can backtrack from the praise he gave the RTP for the "perfect" job they did? I am concerned that the case has proceeded so far that it would be such a huge embarrassment for the PM if the two Burmese boys are found not guilty. Forget the evidence for the moment as most think it's been a huge shambles. It seems that the key for securing these boys' release (if innocent) is based upon how the PM can damage control his way out of this.

• Like 1

The main problem here seems to be that all the wrongdoings, bribery, extortion, beating and threatening of suspects, committed by cops in the past leads to the point that no one believes their statements anymore.

and i didn't get the taxi driver to lie for them

and it didn't get their star witness to lie for them either,

did anyone else notice that they went from 3 star witnesses, to 1 star witness, to no star witness, and then they went silent about witnesses?

and, for the people who think the alleged killers and their friends are posting on Thai Visa

because they think that "we" are the idiots,

they must also think we wouldnt notice their inability to know how we write and speak, versus an island thai

Actually the misinformation, and infowars as someone put it, on TV are posted not by mafia types but, if the number of people who click inanely on like buttons is anything to go by, the rank and file of this site who claim to know the truth. For many this forum is just an excuse to bash Thailand and the Thai people for any reason they can - this always indicates frustration. Maybe they are frustrated with not knowing the language, cannot get to grips with the culture or it might be that most are men who feel powerless with their Thai wives calling the shots. It's a pity, as this attitude with all its belligerent know-it-all amateur internet sleuthing is actually counter productive. It's interesting to note that if a lot of the negative opinions spouted here were aired in the street or in earshot of Thai people the perpetrators would be in peril. Here, of course, they feel safe to rant and air their frustrations. Sometimes I wonder why i feel so at odds with the majority of people on this site....then I realise my exceptional Thai language skills, in depth knowledge of Thai culture and residence book in the top drawer came from a lifelong commitment to the country and its people. Ah well, even my missus may call the shots most of the time but at least i get in my twopence halfpenny some of the time. Get over it people...the Thai police have made arrests and these people will be tried in a court of law as in all civilised countries. The court will decide whether they are guilty or not.

• Like 1

Anybody got any suggestions on how the PM can backtrack from the praise he gave the RTP for the "perfect" job they did? I am concerned that the case has proceeded so far that it would be such a huge embarrassment for the PM if the two Burmese boys are found not guilty. Forget the evidence for the moment as most think it's been a huge shambles. It seems that the key for securing these boys' release (if innocent) is based upon how the PM can damage control his way out of this.

the PM will claim he was referring to a different case, and the media, will not be permitted to ask anymore questions on the topic,

for a "little while:"

Why aren't the police made to explain a bit more about this SAFE HOUSE they were taken to..... How normal is that to take supposed crims with matching DNA (according to the bib) to a safe house.... Why would they need to do that. Bags over there heads. Those 2 young boys must have been absoluting frightened beyond words.... Can you just imagine the treatment they have had since then.... I'm actually amazed they r still alive...

What about this meeting by the islanders.... Wouldn't you think somewhere in that meeting they might suggest not employing illegal aliens with no I'd... I mean isn't that the problem here. What a joke. They don't even have the smarts to talk about their cover up to make the offenders look guilty. No mention of better CCTV footage. I think the meeting might have been held and chaired by students of the local kindergarten...

According to one police announcement, it took a long time to find these alleged killers because they had to review tapes from 300 CCTV cameras.

If that's actually true and not a misprint of communication error, I'd say Koh Tao isn't far off from a maximum security prison in terms of its CCTV coverage.

And I couldn't agree more, if illegal Alina's committed this act, why isn't all the talk about having more pre employment checks, controls while on the island etc etc. it doesn't seem that the locals care much about the potential for Myanmar killers walking in their midst. Then again, some would say that the locals know more than they are telling and they know that potential Myanmar killers is not the problem.

• Like 1

Actually the misinformation, and infowars as someone put it, on TV are posted not by mafia types but, if the number of people who click inanely on like buttons is anything to go by, the rank and file of this site who claim to know the truth. For many this forum is just an excuse to bash Thailand and the Thai people for any reason they can - this always indicates frustration. Maybe they are frustrated with not knowing the language, cannot get to grips with the culture or it might be that most are men who feel powerless with their Thai wives calling the shots. It's a pity, as this attitude with all its belligerent know-it-all amateur internet sleuthing is actually counter productive. It's interesting to note that if a lot of the negative opinions spouted here were aired in the street or in earshot of Thai people the perpetrators would be in peril. Here, of course, they feel safe to rant and air their frustrations. Sometimes I wonder why i feel so at odds with the majority of people on this site....then I realise my exceptional Thai language skills, in depth knowledge of Thai culture and residence book in the top drawer came from a lifelong commitment to the country and its people. Ah well, even my missus may call the shots most of the time but at least i get in my twopence halfpenny some of the time. Get over it people...the Thai police have made arrests and these people will be tried in a court of law as in all civilised countries. The court will decide whether they are guilty or not.

what is clear,

is your vast knowledge of Thai language,

is now interfering with your reasoning skills

I studied the Thai language briefly,

I am not sure it is actually a language, more a grouping of grunts, groans and growls

• Like 2

I guess you'll be packing your bags then !

According to this video from Astv the forensic team said they were beaten and suffocated with plastic bags.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=722122301198831

Niran Pitakwatchara, chairman of the NHRC's sub-commission on civil and political rights, said his forensic team found that the Burmese was torture and abused. The torture include chest beating and suffocation using plastic bag. Dr. Niran also requested X -RAy examination for further analysis.

Is this what he said? Can someone please verify what he says in this video? If he says they were found to be beaten or they are not sure...

Thanks

I hear it the same as you.I didn't hear an absolute yes until he gets results from x rays. He said they had painful areas when pressure given to those points but he wants to see x rays. I also didn't hear that he will get to take x rays or not.

Why can't everybody just trust the word of the police, they clearly say they weren't going to use scapegoats this time and that they didn't torture the suspects. You have no idea how sad the cops are now ...

Actually I've never said they have the wrong people only that it is a possibility. Bearing in mind these boys will probably be put to death if they are found guilty I believe they should look at all evidence. After all if they are innocent and killed that means the real killer or killers will be free to do this again.

Saying it's a possibility will make the cops sad.. They promised they have the right guys,, it's 100% sure! ;)

Yes, sadly it's a big risc for these burmeese guys to be put to death even though they are innocent..

On a more positive note.. This is an opportunity for awakening for the thai people... to stand against corruption... I think Thailand (and the rest of the world too) needs a revolution.. We need to throw out our political systems and create something better. Something that represents the people,, not only the elite.. But that's en entirely different discussion.. Although I do believe it may be at the root of the problem...

Internet could allow a more direct democracy,, The reason we have elected politicians is because it used to be way too inconvinient for all people to vote on everything.. with technology today we could create something where people have a say ... Currently the people (all over the world) are voting for what to do with the scraps of the table... All the real decisions are made by the elite and their corruption and lobbyism.

• Like 1

"...encouraging tourists to dress properly when not swimming or sunbathing, ask them not to commit intimate acts in public, as well as regulate taxi services and publishing do's and don'ts about Thai culture on leaflets and in other media."

There are two things implied in this comment.

The first one about appropriate dress is virtually the same comment Prayuth got caught saying about women wearing bikinis, seeming to imply they brought it on themselves. So even after that controversy you have these idiots saying almost the same thing.

The second thing is the comment about falang needing to be more aware of Thai culture. However, it was not Thai people who supposedly killed this British couple, but two men from Myanmar, so how did not respecting Thai culture cause this problem...unless it really was Thai people who killed them...ah!

I personally do not see anything wrong with the statement.....I believe we should respect the culture of the country we are in and make sure you do not offend. Yesterday in the Bangkok Samui hospital at 10am a very large (obese) Russian was walking around in and out of the Orthapedics section not wearing a shirt; disgusting sight. How many times do you see tourists walking down the street in bikinis and/or speedos.....or in Tescos.....no Thai would ever do this. All he is saying is if you are not swimming or sunbathing please show some RESPECT for the Thai culture and wear modest attire......after all who are the ones expecting visitors/immigrants to respect our culture when in our countries.....double standards perhaps. This is not Ibiza or the Black Sea....it is Thailand which has its own culture.....respect it!

As far as i know we are guests on this country and we should go by the rules and respect.Sometimes we see things that don't make sense but thats the way they are and justice seems to go in doubt. We all know that. Times like this when 2 young guys got murdered very bad is sad. It's always amazing the way they run things but i keep to myself and carry on with my life.

I just had to like this post in a semi sarcastic way.

I am sure that just about everyone on here has committed lots of time and funds to staying here because they want to be here. I certainly have. I also disagree with Thai bashing and agree with you that there is too much here on TV.

The thing about this case is that it isn't just foreigners complaining. A huge amount of Thais are also speaking out.

• Like 1

as in all civilised countries

Sadly, this is where your post fails.....