Do they sterilize manicure tools in Bangkok beauty shops?

BookupAsia

Before registering a nail shop into our online booking system we check out the ways they disinfect their tools in the shop. Most of them use cleansing alcohol solutions, but we hardly find thermo or UV sterilizing processing. Do you pay attention to it before you have your manicure done in Bangkok beauty shops?

That place I go for my ingrown toenails is a beauty salon and they keep the tools in Detol so no problem. They also put Detol in the hot water foot bath bath before doing the job.

That is not sterilization. That is just using a disinfectant. I have never seen even one manicure shop in Thailand that actually sterilizes tools. The general Thai standard is rubbing with alcohol between uses (if you're lucky). Perhaps they do occasional deeper cleanings periodically. A big perhaps. I have had incidents were there was blood and I would bet the tools got the same alcohol treatment as usual before next use. Just be aware ... up to you.

Edited by Jingthing

A couple of days ago I went to a new nail salon that opened in our condo building just a few months ago. I was amazed with the quality of their equipment and the fact that they had the absolute latest 2014 OPI colors. How did they do that? I didn't think you could ship nail polish by air. But I digress......

After they were done giving a very good mani/pedi they put all the tools into a little oven-type appliance and turned it on. It seemed to be a UV oven or something. I don't really know. Sure wasn't a cooking oven. I don't really have a basis for comparison. I've never had a professional manicure anywhere else but Thailand, I must confess. I got hooked on the habit after I moved here and learned how cheap and good they are. It's one of the few beauty treatments where you get to admire the results!

Edited by NancyL