Name change, visas, work permits, oh my!

US citizen got married to another US citizen back in the US this past Feb. We both have work permits and visas for our jobs here in BKK, where we live.

My wife wants to take my name, but has put it off due to travel plans, which have meant she couldn't be without her passport for the month it takes to change.

We now have the time, and the process of getting a new passport with a new name from the embassy seems pretty straightforward, but the processes of changing the names on her WP and visa/reentry seem intricate.

Anybody experience this? Apparently, the Thai government needs "certified" copies of passports and marriage certificate. Does this mean self-certified, US embassy certified or certified from the States? Last time we went to a U.S. embassy to have the certificate certified (in KL, before my wife got her job and was renewing her Type O), they seemed baffled and said they couldn't do that.

Any pitfalls for this process to be forewarned about?

Any advice would be great.

In most cases here when the term certified copies is used it means your signature and the date signed on them.

The US embassy cannot certify any document but they can do certified copies. There is a big difference between the two.