What does your partner and her family think of your family.

sipi

I have been putting this off for a while (oh no, not another "in-laws" thread).

But I would like to ask just one question.

There have been so many topics about the father-in-law who drinks to much, the sister-in-law who talks too much (or doesn't talk at all), the weird brother-in-law, the lovely mother-in-law. . And rightly so.

But how does your family stack up?

My family don't know the difference between Chang Beer and Chiang Mai. They think "sticky lice" is a sexually transmitted parasite. "Khao pad" is what dairy farmers do. A "dtot" is a fart, but only if you push to hard.

Did, or does your family treat you, your partner and her family with "Thai wife syndrome"?

If you want to hear my boring life story then read on, otherwise feel free to hit the reply button now.

. . . . .

When my wife and I got married in Thailand it was a three day celebration of eating and dancing. When we got married in Australia my family didn't even bother turning up.

When I arrived at my wife's parents place for the first time it was wai's and food all around. When my wife first went to Australia, we picked up my car at the airport and went shopping. We passed my mother and brother coming the other way. They stared vacantly ahead, not even a nod.

Things have changed over the last 10 or 12 years. My now widowed mother thinks my wife descended from heaven, and my now divorced brother has asked me to help fun him a good Thai lady (not a chance)

So back to the topic.,

What does your wife think of her in-laws?

My wife and son love my familly ,they have holidayed with them ,stayed with them ,gone shopping with them and have even lived with my daughter for years untill she got married ,my familly all get on with my wife like a house on fire.

• Like 1

My wife has now been to Oz 3 times. My siter and BIL love her and she loves them. My two 30yr+ sons love her and think she is crazy - in a nice way. So do I. My sons stay in Thailand maybe every 15 months or so . We've been married for 12 years now. Its more companionate than sexual, but I'm an old bugger so that's ok for me and my wife is not bothered. She still talks about money a lot, but is really quite happy with our life. Most of our concerns are about my unmotivated 18yr old stepson, whose main activities are his phone and skateboard.

• Like 2

My mum worships the ground my wife walks on and vice versa. Mum says any woman that can endure me for twenty years deserves a medal while my wife says that any woman that could rear me successfully must be a genius!!!

• Like 1

I have a very large family in PA where we live and they absolutely adore my wife without exception. Even my adult daughter from my first marriage adores her because she sees that we love each other and her father is happy and well cared for. My wife also fits right in and loves being part of such a large family. She loves cooking Thai food for everyone and talking about life in Thailand. She also loves visiting the farmers markets here with the other ladies in my family to get fresh cooking ingredients. She has a degree in tourism and owns a travel agency here that has been quite successful so she meets a lot of the local people who love to ask her about SE Asia and where they should go. Other than that her being Thai is not an issue that comes up or matters to my family or those here in our town.

That is interesting to note AZBill. I have had two wives from Southeast Asia--Vietnam and the Philippines. I took them both to the States. Both met, and got along well, with my family--so much so that my mother took their sides in any disagreements, and my step-father could not say enough nice things about either of them. Other family members were similarly inclined. I get along well with my Southeast Asian in-laws too. However, the point to which I make note, the wives went to my country, acclimated to Western culture and then we traveled overseas again. Perhaps the key, they both saw the streets and realized they were not made of gold.

Fewer cross-cultural problems exist, if you expose your spouse to your culture and you expose yourself to theirs.

• Like 1

My sister and mother adore my husband. (though tbh mom loses track of who he is.)

He loves them as well.

I barely know my Thai in-laws but they have been both kind and generous with me.

All told.. Just the way I want things!

• Like 1

When my parents visited the village, everyone got on fine - though they really loved my mom and accepted my dads crankiness. My mom loved my wife, who she had met before, but instantly loved her bone thin mother, hugged her and cried on first meeting. When we went away together my mom held their hand the whole time. I guess love begets love.

• Like 1

My sister and mother adore my husband. (though tbh mom loses track of who he is.)

He loves them as well.

I barely know my Thai in-laws but they have been both kind and generous with me.

Are you guys legally married ... or is that a euphemism?

He loves them as well.

Are you guys legally married ... or is that a euphemism?

Married in the US last month.

• Like 1

All our intertwined relationships are great...My parents have been to Thailand once to meet my inlaws and we had a Buddhist marriage celebration while they were over here.. Later in the year, her (the wife) parents came to the USA with us and we had another buddhist ceremony at a Lao temple in Rhode Island before we signed the actually legal marriage papers...everyone gets along very well, the inlaws have met each other twice now, one time for each on their home turf and one time away...both times with great meals and lovely time spent together....

My parents will be returning in February for another round of some family time....My Folks dearly love my wife and the feelings are reciprocated, I can see just how fond of them she is.... I believe my inlaws dearly love me and I have lots of love for them too, so everything is Hunky DORY!!

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

mmhhh, if you want to compare...

you have thrown money to the parents to marry/buy their daughter

so you get some wai maybe in your face and you feel good, but no respect and backtalk behind your back

true love from your wife & family start to be tested, the day the money well starts to dry up

see how the love you now

(jingle of that famous show on dmax ... how you love me now ....)

I hear way too often about how these falang men are "walking ATMs" for their partners family I think the large age difference in many cases perpetuates that concept. My wife and I are the same age (26) her parents have never asked me for anything. When we got married I paid a Sin Sot, but was immediately returned the whole chunk of money, so it was merely a ceremony/formality... Plus, her family is solid middle class, they don't need anything from me....I think a lot of the time, the men are just as much to blame for the wives family leeching off them...Hey sorry, if you are 60 years old and you meet your 35 year old wife who comes from a poor family in Bumf*** Sakhon Nakon at a bar in pattaya, get so whipped by whats between her legs that you will do just about anything and find yourself ending up in a situation where family is "taking advantage of you," you got yourself into this mess, by not thinking clearly

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

About 4 years ago, I took my wife to Greece to meet my mother and brothers.

My father was dead at the time.

I was amazed at my wife's reaction and warmth that she treated my mother.

She couldn't stop being next to her, holding her hand and trying to be affectionate to her, although they couldn't communicate because of the language barrier.

My mother reciprocated fully.

2 years ago my mother died.

My wife has never stop talking about her with affection.

My wife's regret is that she never had the opportunity to have her MIL in Thailand.

And I know for a fact she always mentions her in her prayers.

That's my experience, OP

If he was dead "at the time" does that mean he is now back with us?