Wreck of WWII German U-boat found off North Carolina

webfact

I would strongly disagree with those who say that the U boat crew aren't heroes because of their evil government.

German soldiers and sailors were mostly draftees, and were only doing their duty. Maybe a percentage were Nazi supporters, but even so, they were fighting for their country.

As WWII fades further into history, I have only the greatest respect for the German and Japanese soldiers. Other than the Psycopaths, whose cruelty was criminal, they fought bravely for their country and each other. If it wasn't for the industrial capacity of the USA, the inevitable victories of the allies would have been much more costly, and maybe even fought to a stalemate.

Are you aware of the Rape of Nanking?coffee1.gif

Seems like being a psychopath was the fashionable thing back then.

One of the most harrowing books I've read - The Rape of Nanking.

German and Japanese forces ignored the rules of war, were instigators of attacks on civilians, POWs and guilty of racial based murders.

The German's were the first to introduce unrestricted submarine warfare, bombing of civilians by air, attacks using chemical weapons, executions of civilian hostages and breaches of the Hague and Geneva conventions. They carried on their "traditions" from WW1 into WW2. Win at all costs.

The barbarity and inhumanity of the servicemen of the Empire of Japan is well documented.

I can appreciate not all were right wing extremists and worshipers of Hitler or Hirohito. But many, many were. I have no respect for any one who fought for either of those evil regimes. Both believed they were the 'master race".

Both the Japanese people and the German people still cry like babies about the allied bombings both forgot who started it No they were not heroes but big babies. Still today their grandchildren are crying and complaining What a bunch of babies. But the Chinese and Russians are going to get them again this time

And today they are still crying and complaining about the bombings

Bombing civilian populations in Germany deliberately was unnecessary. It didn't do much good in the UK either even though England KNEW ( not thought) that they were going to be invaded soon.Churchill later wrote that one of his greatest worries was the activities of the Atlantic U boats. There was a gap in air cover over the Atlantic for longer than necessary due to efforts being turned towards killing civilians.

Quote from Wikipedia: Even in mid-1942, Coastal Command only had two squadrons of Liberators and B-17s,[3] and at the first sign of Coastal Command's success against U-boats, Harris sought to have their aircraft used in attacking German cities.Mad bomber Harris as he was known.

very factually correct

It is difficult and an honor to be a soldier for your own government. I salute their heroism ONLY. wai2.gif

Nothing honourable fighting for that government.

Like many other governments in the past and present, which are not supposed to be democracies.

including those which are "supposed" to be democracies!

• Like 2

This is not the only Nazi sub sunk off North Carolina, there are others and I have dove on at least one that is a 110 feet deep, it simply amazing how close they were to the US.

Yeah they got pretty close, I like this story, especially the end part

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Gulfamerica

"After the initial torpedo strike, the commander of U-123, Kapitänleutnant Reinhard Hardegen, surfaced his boat to finish the stricken tanker. In doing so he realised that they were close to the highly illuminated and populated coast of Jacksonville, and that there was the risk that if he fired, shots that flew over the Gulfamerica could hit the shore, putting civilian lives at risk. He therefore navigated around the Gulfamerica, placing himself between the shore and the tanker, and ensuring that shots that missed would land in the sea.[1] In doing so, he lost valuable time. The distress call was received, and U 123 was later engaged by the destroyer USS Dahlgren.[2]U-123 was damaged, but able to make a narrow escape back to Europe.

Hardegen survived the war, and returned to Jacksonville in 1990, where he was received as an honoured guest. He would say of the occasion that "The town was very friendly to me."[3]"