Observations from Today's CW trip - TM7 Thai wife Type O

Today's yearly trip to CW for renewing my extension via the TM7 form with a Thai wife and Type O visa went smoothly. This is my 3rd extension. I may have mis-read a post here as I thought I needed 2 copies of everything I was submitting today, but they only needed 1 copy of each. Better that than missing something right? smile.png

There have been a couple changes that have occurred since my last trip I thought I'd mention while I still remember them in case it's helpful for anyone.

First, I was told the time from submission to return visit for the actual extension stamp has increased to nearly 1 month. This is because now the extension submissions go through a committee where each person has to √ off and pass it along. I return there on Nov. 19th.

In looking at previous temporary, stamps this seems to be the same amount of waiting time as before, so I think that I was just being informed of the procedural difference going on. Previously, approvals were done by certain ranking officers who work there everyday doing that. This newly instituted committee does this process once a week.

2nd, 2 new forms (to me anyway) are presented by the officer, one for me and one for my wife. My wife needed to be there and fortunately she was as she needed to fill out a form confirming I was her husband, entering the country on said date and that I need to be here. My wife remembers the first time we went where we had to write a letter (as opposed to the form today) explaining my reason for being here and then an interview followed. This is a short version of that in a pre-printed form with no essay needed.

My form was to acknowledge that I am aware of the new penalties for overstaying that have recently been made more severe and hopefully all reading this are also aware of. Don't overstay more than 90 days if you want to keep living here! It will be a year or more (depending) before they let you come back.

Today I also got my 90 day checkin done, and while waiting for that, I watched and heard what another fellow went through.

He had to come in that day anyway for his 90 Day. He had also brought in a friend's passport and paperwork to get hers done too. She is late on her checkin and will have to pay 2K for that, but this guy found out someone else can't do this for you. Her's was rejected as she has to come in personally. No skin off that guys nose, but if you're already late checking in, you have to go yourself.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed TM47 to TM7
  • Like 2

I did a minor edit of the title and text. I am sure you meant TM7 not 47.

You wife has to go with you every time. What she had to do was the statement that is one of the reasons she needs to go a long.

Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

Haha and here I was trying to "fix" it haha. Good grief, u may want to try to undo my "fixing" job as I can no longer edit it. Oi.

burp.gif

I did a minor edit of the title and text. I am sure you meant TM7 not 47.

You wife has to go with you every time. What she had to do was the statement that is one of the reasons she needs to go a long.

Thanks for the report.

Edited by emanphoto

I recently did my first ever extension. Went faily smoothly and have to wait not to see if I've been aproved.

Only thing I noticed that was different to what I was advised was:

They interviewd me and not the missus (think the lady wanted to practise her english)

They let me draw the map 'til they realised I'm a spaz at drawing so missus rudely grabbed it from me.

They didn't like my condo contract. Moved in years ago and now I'm just on a rolling contract. Told them they could call my landlady and ask her. She's happy for me to just be on a rolling contract 'cos I said I didn't wanna sign a new contract 'cos been there so long.

Apart from that, it was smooth sailing. The missus, being the sweet mouthed girl that she is, asked why my salary had to support her and not vica versa, and why so much paperwork. Lady in immigration said they were making sure Thai people were not marrying bad people. Basically protecting Thai people.

And if you believe that.........

• Like 1

Quick question to you Gents if I may.

I recently done the same extension, my first by the way and as above I need to go back within 1 month. When I go back do I need to show my bank book again with the 400k? Or do I just take my passport.

Quick question to you Gents if I may.

I recently done the same extension, my first by the way and as above I need to go back within 1 month. When I go back do I need to show my bank book again with the 400k? Or do I just take my passport.

Just the passport LotusBoy, effectively you can start spending the money as soon as you have updated your passbook and have the bank letter in hand (should you wish, personally I just leave it there and forget about it).

• Like 2

I was told yesterday when doing my own O visa extension (Kap Choeng Immi) that you can do your 90 day check-in up to 2 weeks in advance if need be. Was also told not to be late for the 90 day check-in, as it will be marked in red on the computer and late check-ins are frowned upon and could cause future hassles.

And as per the immigration web site,

• If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

I was told yesterday when doing my own O visa extension (Kap Choeng Immi) that you can do your 90 day check-in up to 2 weeks in advance if need be. Was also told not to be late for the 90 day check-in, as it will be marked in red on the computer and late check-ins are frowned upon and could cause future hassles.

rkidlad, on 22 Oct 2014 - 21:52, said:

I recently did my first ever extension. Went faily smoothly and have to wait not to see if I've been aproved.

They interviewd me and not the missus (think the lady wanted to practise her english)

They let me draw the map 'til they realised I'm a spaz at drawing so missus rudely grabbed it from me.

They didn't like my condo contract. Moved in years ago and now I'm just on a rolling contract. Told them they could call my landlady and ask her. She's happy for me to just be on a rolling contract 'cos I said I didn't wanna sign a new contract 'cos been there so long.

Apart from that, it was smooth sailing. The missus, being the sweet mouthed girl that she is, asked why my salary had to support her and not vica versa, and why so much paperwork. Lady in immigration said they were making sure Thai people were not marrying bad people. Basically protecting Thai people.

I presume your talking about a map of where you live?

I use Google maps, then place the 'pin' on the address location. I then print that off and write the address in a relevant space.

Makes life easier and Immigration prefer it to a drawing.

Your welcome! Hope it was helpful.

As someone who has to do pretty much the same immigration things as everyone else who lives here in LOS, I find comfort each year when I have to do my extension and I find recent posts with reports on details of their visits and any new changes I might not be aware of. I had an opportunity to post some details yesterday and it's nice to be able to add to the pool of knowledge here and contribute for a change.

:)

what a nice informative pleasant thread, thank you

I use Google maps, then place the 'pin' on the address location. I then print that off and write the address in a relevant space.

Different offices - different requirements.

I did a google map and they refused to accept it, told my wife it had to be hand drawn. She had to do one there and then.

Different offices -different requirements.

I did my first one in July and they said to bring 2 witnesses. They interviewed them, not me or the wife, in fact I cannot even remember them talking to me at all.

I was advised to do a hand drawn one and that's what they ended up asking for. i'm surprised she asked me to draw because I was writing names of places in English and I thought they want Thai only. At the end of the day, like many things in this country, people just make stuff up as they go along.

Edited by rkidlad

Different offices -different requirements.

I did my first one in July and they said to bring 2 witnesses. They interviewed them, not me or the wife, in fact I cannot even remember them talking to me at all.

They didn't ask for any witnesses fortunately. She asked me about 5 questions - one being "why don't you have a baby?" I wanted to say mind your own business but instead just said "we're working on it" - which we are absolutely not. Just tell 'em what they wanna hear.

I did precisely that but they still asked my wife to draw a map of our home location at Chiang Mai Immigration when I first applied for my 12 month Marriage Visa extension.

Using CW only for my immigration "needs", plus after reading more posts for hand drawing than against, I've always gone with the hand drawn method. Yep a Google map printout makes WAY more sense in terms of precision, but perhaps they want uniformity in their submissions for those computer/Google illiterate folks living here or those without a printer etc etc. Once in immigration's hands and in their now committee reviews, who knows how much, if any attention these maps get.

It's definitely one of the sillier requirements needed.

I did precisely that but they still asked my wife to draw a map of our home location at Chiang Mai Immigration when I first applied for my 12 month Marriage Visa extension.