Koh Tao suspects to meet parents Thursday

Lite Beer

CRIMES
Koh Tao suspects to meet parents tomorrow
Nyan Win Shein
Aung Zaw Tun

30246071-01_big.jpg
Thai police officers guard the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok as the parents of two murder suspects meet their sons

BANGKOK: -- Parents of Koh Tao suspects to visit them in jail tomorrow while Thailand is urged to ensure human rights protection

The parents of the two Myanmar migrant workers accused of killing two British tourists on Thailand's southern island of Koh Tao will fly to Samui Island tomorrow to visit them in jail, according to migrant rights advocate Andy Hall who met the two 21-year-old suspects on Monday.

The parents are expected to be allowed to visit their sons tomorrow, after their arrival in Bangkok today and a meeting with defense lawyers at the Myanmar Embassy this afternoon. They left their hometown in Rakhine State on October 12 to Yangon to seek assistance and news about their sons.

According to Hall, the two migrant workers - Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun - recanted their confessions and a petition was filed to prosecutors by the Lawyers Council of Thailand, after three of its members interviewed the pair.

The signed confessions were written in Thai, said Hall.

Hall, an adviser to the Migrant Worker Rights Network, expressed "deep concern" yesterday that the suspects were "being shackled 24/7 [with] heavy chains on their feet".

"Lawyers informed me shackling of 'accused' suspects not convicted of any crime and 24/7 both in and outside prison seems unlawful/unfair," he said on his Facebook page.

After meeting them on Monday, Hall - who is also fluent in Thai and Burmese - said the two were eager to meet their parents and were aware of the outpouring of support for them within Myanmar, Thailand and the UK. British police are expected to arrive in Thailand next week to observe the controversial case in which the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists.

Both insisted they had nothing with the murder and that they had been tortured into confessing, Thai and British media reported today.

Both are charged over the September 15 murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao and are being detained at a prison on nearby Samui Island.

Myanmar National Human Rights Commission chairman Win Mra yesterday sent a formal request to the chairperson of National Human Rights Commission of Thailand urging that the two suspects not be subjected to torture or ill treatment.

The letter also calls for the commission to ensure a fair trial amidst widespread allegations that they are being used as scapegoats by the Thai police.

The letter follows a statement by Thai National Human Rights Commissioner Niran Pitakwachara on Monday that the commission would meet with authorities to determine if there was evidence to suspect that they had used force or torture to force the suspects to confess. He told Thai media that the suspects had informed members of the commission that they had been tortured.

The letter from the Myanmar rights watchdog notes widespread allegations that the suspects had been subjected to torture and ill-treatment by the Thai police in order to extract confession. As a result, it is appealing to its Thai counterpart to ensure that the suspects are not subjected to any form of torture or ill-treatment in accordance with the stipulations under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The letter also requests that the Thai rights commission urge the Thai government to ensure that officials of the Embassy of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar in Bangkok can visit the two suspects and that their parents are allowed to visit their sons in prison.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/aec/Koh-Tao-suspects-to-meet-parents-tomorrow-30246071.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-22

Absolutely agree JOC. I hope the 2 boys realise how much support they have from the outside world. I hope they hang on for justice to be served.

I will be happy to put my hand in my pocket to create a fund for them to start again when their day comes.

They must be going through hell.

Absolutely agree JOC. I hope the 2 boys realise how much support they have from the outside world. I hope they hang on for justice to be served.

I will be happy to put my hand in my pocket to create a fund for them to start again when their day comes.

Taking a guess I think there are many people around the world who would be happy to provide some future assistance to these two victims.

"The signed confessions were written in Thai, said Hall." wai2.gifwai.gif

"Hall, an adviser to the Migrant Worker Rights Network, expressed "deep concern" yesterday that the suspects were "being shackled 24/7 [with] heavy chains on their feet".

This is a Barbaric, Savage, Cheap, Third Rate Country, brothers...

At least, it will hit the International News.

*I've posted before on another topic; PM me and I will send you an Editorial in BP from last year.

It will clearly explain the mindset of these cretins.

And how according to it, truth is inconvenient in their culture.

Edited by iReason

" the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists"

This is incomplete. It should read:

the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists, in order to avoid investigation and persecution of well known influential person/s who are highly suspicious to be the real murderer/s and rapist/s

You don't know, how right you are!!

Just talked to my wife about the case, and according to her on Thai social media they are openly discussing that fact the the family on Koh Tao has been supplying drugs to the visitors for decades. To be left alone they have paid big money, not only to the chief of police at Koh Phangan but all the way to the real bigwigs in Bangkok. No wonder they are protected, we are talking millions of baht here for everyone involved!!

On the same note, when my wife studied law, there was a younger policeman in the class with high ideals and an honest wish to go out and serve society. She met him a couple of years later, and sadly he was just like the rest of the corrupt bunch. Wondering what had happend to the high ideals, he explaned, that for 6 months he really tried to be a god copper, but was treated like a black sheep/pariah until he decided to join the fraternity of corruption!!

Two Thai couples we know have moved to New Zeeland, because they couldn't live with the Thai ways of lies, deception and corruption!

That is how bad it is!!

• Like 2

The more I read about this case, the more angry I get!!

Wellmeaning human rights activists, free lawyers and a lot of sympathy from abroad doesn't change the fact, that those two kids have been locked up for more than a month. Probably treated worse than animals in prison all for a crime they IMO didn't commit!!

And at the same time the real culprit (s) are having a good time in one of the familys bars on the island.

Feeling more invincible and untouchable than ever before!!

Make me wanna puke!!

They are shackled although not yet proven guilty whilst a certain rich little "gentleman" who refuses to take a DNA swab is enjoying life supported by is rich father who also refuses a DNA swab but rushes around like a chook ( chicken) with its head cut off offering money all over the place and threatening to sue every man and his dog ! w00t.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

If what Andy Hall says is correct the confessions written in Thai is an important point, or at least it would be in other jurisdictions but who knows about here ?

In essence the so called confessions were recorded in a language neither suspect speaks or presumably reads so they could have been signing anything. In addition there is the part played by an unofficial interpreter who cannot, apparently, speak the home dialect of the two suspects.

All of this would be enough to have the confessions thrown out in the jurisdictions I am familiar with and i would suggest in others too.

• Like 1

Wellmeaning human rights activists, free lawyers and a lot of sympathy from abroad doesn't change the fact, that those two kids have been locked up for more than a month. Probably treated worse than animals in prison all for a crime they IMO didn't commit!!

And at the same time the real culprit (s) are having a good time in one of the familys bars on the island.

Make me wanna puke!!

They are shackled although not yet proven guilty whilst a certain rich little "gentleman" who refuses to take a DNA swab is enjoying life supported by is rich father who also refuses a DNA swab but rushes around like a chook ( chicken) with its head cut off offering money all over the place and threatening to sue every man and his dog ! w00t.gif

Can anybody clarify, refused DNA test or never asked?

• Like 1

Thailand wake up for goodness sake this is the 21st Century. You have two people in chains, who I read have not been charged and may not be charged.

You are being watched and the tourists are going elsewhere.

"You are being watched and the tourists are going elsewhere."

And that's a good thing, Thailand has had it's day and now people are seeing the true corrupt and dark Thailand.

With countries like Myanmar and Cambodia opening up and being developed for tourism Thailand is fast becoming a less desirable travel destination. Especially with all the 'other' bad press Thailand is receiving, tourist deaths and suicides and scams. When was the last time you heard a positive news story about Thailand, outside of Thailand?

• Like 1

Thailand wake up for goodness sake this is the 21st Century. You have two people in chains, who I read have not been charged and may not be charged.

And that's a good thing, Thailand has had it's day and now people are seeing the true corrupt and dark Thailand.

With countries like Myanmar and Cambodia opening up and being developed for tourism Thailand is fast becoming a less desirable travel destination. Especially with all the 'other' bad press Thailand is receiving, tourist deaths and suicides and scams. When was the last time you heard a positive news story about Thailand, outside of Thailand?

You have clearly never been to Myanmar or Cambodia!!whistling.gif

I hope British Team will have/obtain all DNA necessary to charge a right suspect(s) and clear the case of all these commotions, accusation, mistreatment, false accusations, and get the guilty of this horrible crime to court for sentencing. Otherwise Thailand with it's corruption is in jeopardy.

Gen. Prayut has gotten himself personally involved in this case by putting his support completely behind the police investigation and even announcing a reward to the police for the "impossible" capture of the accused in such a short time. This case has now grown beyond the simple question of guilt or innocence to one of alleged human rights violations and possibly international diplomatic reprocussions.

For a politician to make such a novice mistake would be a sure disaster to their career come election time and the electorate might even force a politician prematurely from office through public ridicule and protest. Unfortumately, when a typical coup-led government makes political mistakes, they just "double down" and continue to make more mistakes, insulated from public recriminations only by exercise of their absolute power over the electorate. Military coup leaders do not learn from their mistakes in the battlefield of civilian politics which makes them ultimately failed public leaders. A nation that cannot reform its military leadership cannot reform its civilian leadership.

I would add:

And a Military Coup every few years with civilians dying in the streets... wai2.gifwai.gif

Taking a guess I think there are many people around the world who would be happy to provide some future assistance to these two victims.

Love the way some people just "instinctively know" they are innocent. Must be, can't be such young, small, innocent looking boys. Could'it?

Now some are trying to turn them into charity cases. What next a Nobel prize?

Our "nice young innocent looking sweetie" of a Burmese Nanny robbed us of many valuables despite being given several chances, being well paid and helped with her education. Long story - but moral is appearances can and often are deceptive.

Of course, they could not possibly have done this, or even been involved at all, could they?

Think I'll wait until the British Police comment before regarding these two suspects as potential saints.

Edited by Baerboxer

" the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists"

This is incomplete. It should read:

the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists, in order to avoid investigation and persecution of well known influential person/s who are highly suspicious to be the real murderer/s and rapist/s

I just came to my mind the following wording would be more appropriate:

the Thai police have been accused of using the two Myanmar nationals as scapegoats for the brutal murder of the two young British tourists, this way avoiding investigation and persecution of well known influential person/s who are highly suspicious to be the real murderer/s and rapist/s

Make me wanna puke!!

Can anybody clarify, refused DNA test or never asked?

Refused or never asked, neither here nor there. They never volunteered ,which speaks volumes.

• Like 1