Thai Masters Degrees.. are they worth anything? Planning a move to LOS

SS1

Thai University? From my experience. I need to go to class 5 days a week. If i missed the class 6 times that mean autometically fail in that subject without exam. But maybe master more relax but hard work.

1. Chulalongkorn same as Oxford in uk.

2. Mahidol maybe Cambridge uk

3.Tamasart popular like Imperial or UCL

4.ABAC just like LSE

Okay na.

Good luck

Assumption does nursing and engineering so why compare with LSE?

Re Thammasat, you can't compare with Imperial and UCL based on popularity, whatever that means.

Mahidol University you shouldn't compare with Cambridge. Mahidol has just signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Sussex University.

Chula's world ranking on the chart provided by the uni is number 239. I think Oxford is a little higher.

You know what? This is Thailand so University which i suggest here if you can inter to. Its not compare that way but just to give him a clue about How was uni in thailand look like for thai people. You know imagination.

PS. I went to ABAC i known how it was. My ex hubby went to top 3 uni in uk.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, thanks all for the constructive replies. Like someone said, I kind of already knew the answer to my question before asking it, but it's interesting to hear peoples opinions and speculation about the subject.

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

Absolute and utter nonsense.

To the OP - please don't be put off by the Thai bashers who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. All their research is done on bar stools usually and involves urban myths which allow them to claim their one CSE in knitting puts them on a par with foreign PhDs.

There are many good quality Thai universities that have international programs taught in English. Assumption University and Bangkok University have many international students on the masters and doctorate programs. AIT, Mahidol, Stanford, and a few others are worth checking out too. Many have and are developing links with British, American, German and French Universities. The Thai Ministry of Education is strict on post graduate standards and course assessment requirements - something I've personally seen. The fees at the private universities aren't cheap though for post graduate courses.

Good luck - and don't be put off by the silly nonsense.

Yeah, I'm kinda used to filtering all the negativity out on threads here from the grumpies on their bar stools wink.png. I posted a thread here a year ago, asking about summer job/internship opportunities in Thailand and was mostly told that my chances are close to zero. A few were more positive and told me that if you really try you can.. I tried, applied to over 25 companies and got 3 job offers at the end and took an internship for an IT company in CM, that was perfectly relevant for my degree.

There's something odd here from the OP:

I'm soon graduating from an accredited UK university with a bachelors degree in International Business and was planning to continue studies with a masters, e.g. MSc in Management. I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree

What is the OP trying to say with reference to accredited UK university. That it is one of the new, new universities whose only claim to fame is that they are accredited? It would be useful if we could be told which institution. Second, the OP refers to graduating with a first degree. Nobody uses this phrase unless they are trying to indicate that they are hoping to get a first. Is that the case here? Or are we just referring to an undergraduate degree, expectations 2:1? 2:2? 3rd? from where?

Re international job employability, nothing gained from doing a Master's in Thailand. If we are talking International business then the obvious candidates for studying in the Far East would be either Hong Kong or Singapore universities, but I think first of all we need right now to know a little more about the OP's current status.

Sorry that's just bad English there, with accredited I meant to say reputable, as in in the top 20's. About my degree, what I'm trying to say is that I've been estimated to graduate with a 1st degree (distinction) based on my previous academic record, which also counts towards my final degree. It means I would have to screw up / do something differently to not graduate with a first.

Anyways I think my conclusion is I'm still going to look at the UK distance learning programs and try and find a way to fund it. These distance learning degrees aren't any different to on-campus ones in terms of what you get as a certificate. (Your employer won't have to know it was distance learning if you dont want to).

Edited by SS1

First of all, thanks all for the constructive replies. Like someone said, I kind of already knew the answer to my question before asking it, but it's interesting to hear peoples opinions and speculation about the subject.

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

Absolute and utter nonsense.

To the OP - please don't be put off by the Thai bashers who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. All their research is done on bar stools usually and involves urban myths which allow them to claim their one CSE in knitting puts them on a par with foreign PhDs.

There are many good quality Thai universities that have international programs taught in English. Assumption University and Bangkok University have many international students on the masters and doctorate programs. AIT, Mahidol, Stanford, and a few others are worth checking out too. Many have and are developing links with British, American, German and French Universities. The Thai Ministry of Education is strict on post graduate standards and course assessment requirements - something I've personally seen. The fees at the private universities aren't cheap though for post graduate courses.

Good luck - and don't be put off by the silly nonsense.

Yeah, I'm kinda used to filtering all the negativity out on threads here from the grumpies on their bar stools wink.png. I posted a thread here a year ago, asking about summer job/internship opportunities in Thailand and was mostly told that my chances are close to zero. A few were more positive and told me that if you really try you can.. I tried, applied to over 25 companies and got 3 job offers at the end and took an internship for an IT company in CM, that was perfectly relevant for my degree.

There's something odd here from the OP:

I'm soon graduating from an accredited UK university with a bachelors degree in International Business and was planning to continue studies with a masters, e.g. MSc in Management. I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree

What is the OP trying to say with reference to accredited UK university. That it is one of the new, new universities whose only claim to fame is that they are accredited? It would be useful if we could be told which institution. Second, the OP refers to graduating with a first degree. Nobody uses this phrase unless they are trying to indicate that they are hoping to get a first. Is that the case here? Or are we just referring to an undergraduate degree, expectations 2:1? 2:2? 3rd? from where?

Re international job employability, nothing gained from doing a Master's in Thailand. If we are talking International business then the obvious candidates for studying in the Far East would be either Hong Kong or Singapore universities, but I think first of all we need right now to know a little more about the OP's current status.

Sorry that's just bad English there, with accredited I meant to say reputable, as in in the top 20's. About my degree, what I'm trying to say is that I've been estimated to graduate with a 1st degree (distinction) based on my previous academic record, which also counts towards my final degree. It means I would have to screw up / do something differently to not graduate with a first.

Anyways I think my conclusion is I'm still going to look at the UK distance learning programs and try and find a way to fund it. These distance learning degrees aren't any different to on-campus ones in terms of what you get as a certificate. (Your employer won't have to know it was distance learning if you dont want to).

If you are going to graduate with a First then you more or less have a passport to wherever you want. One of the advantages of attending a uni near the top of the tree is that you will find that doors open for you later in life. Do not underestimate this factor if you are planning a career. It also adds to one's confidence and actually enhances the First you may have achieved at a lower ranked institution. Another point, do not go backwards or even sideways in institutions. With a First you don't really need a masters unless you are pushing upwards in reputation or have a very specific vocational handle. In addition, take a course which is not only value-added (STEM again) in direct employability, but which is sponsored by a leading employer if you are able. It looks more 'right' on the CV. I think you are making a big mistake doing distance mode. It would be much better, again here is the employer link, if you were sponsored through a part-time degree and the question here is whether your current employer/job is in that bracket or you are just mooning about staying in Thailand. If you must work then with a First get a job in Hong Kong and attend a business masters at the Hong Kong OU maybe. Don't blow it.

Edited by SheungWan

Thai University? From my experience. I need to go to class 5 days a week. If i missed the class 6 times that mean autometically fail in that subject without exam. But maybe master more relax but hard work.

4.ABAC just like LSE

Okay na.

Good luck

Re Thammasat, you can't compare with Imperial and UCL based on popularity, whatever that means.

Mahidol University you shouldn't compare with Cambridge. Mahidol has just signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Sussex University.

Chula's world ranking on the chart provided by the uni is number 239. I think Oxford is a little higher.

You know what? This is Thailand so University which i suggest here if you can inter to. Its not compare that way but just to give him a clue about How was uni in thailand look like for thai people. You know imagination.

It is very difficult comparing universities across countries and all the Thai universities you mention have a good reputation. It is probably the political history of Thammasat University which gives it some kinship with the LSE. The old central campus would be a great place to study IMHO.

4.ABAC just like LSE

Okay na.

Good luck

It is very difficult comparing universities across countries and all the Thai universities you mention have a good reputation. It is probably the political history of Thammasat University which gives it some kinship with the LSE. The old central campus would be a great place to study IMHO.

I didnt compare in what subject. I just give OP a clue about how to feel in Thailand Uni when you get enter to.

Maybe he got no chance to go to top five uni in uk. But more chance in thailamd. * not about subject or anything and i known which uni in thailand got a good reputation in which subject.

okay naka

x

Thai Master's Degrees are for the most part massive networking exercises that allow ambitious 20-something Thais to form very helpful groups with like-minded others in other industries and government. Any educational benefit is purely coincidental.

• Like 1

I have called universities in America and researched universities in Thailand. Chula and Sasin are the only Thai recognized universities. If you are a Thai they will accept you in Masters programs for foreigners to America but for a foreigner returning to America with a Thai degree you will meet with many obstacles. You can always choose to go to Webster University in Bangkok.

I think this is not a meritocracy, so whether you bought a degree from Pacific University or got a 1:1 from Cambridge is irrelevant.

It's Who You KNOW

One wonders where people dream up their silly comments. Anyway to rephrase the last bit, what is important is who wants to know you and one's education background definitely helps.

By the way what on earth is a 1:1. Is it supposed to designate a First?

Good question, have you ever heard of Guanxi, In East Asian societies the boundary between business and social lives can sometimes be ambiguous as people tend to rely heavily on their closer relations and friends. This can result in nepotism in the work force, as it is common for authoritative figures to draw from family and close ties to fill employment opportunities; instead of assessing talent and suitability such as is the norm in Western societies. This practice often prevents the most suitably qualified person being employed for the position..

When we set up offices in China were advised to hire some movie star to represent us and we were Engineers, he did not know if his ass was drilled tapped or bored.

This is from one of my lectures to businesses considering investment in Asia. Pity you never attended

That I worked and lived in China and every East Asian country except North Korea since 1973, and India probably gave me some insights, and I was married to a Chinese girl.

I was even given the Chinese name Shan Dai Wong, (Sam Wat Wong by the way, not Dai To Wong if you don't know the WONGS are differentiated) The Sam Wat has Three Cross bars. (King of the Mountains, or Thieves possibly)

I think I have the credentials and authority to repeat It is NOT a meritocracy here..You do not need to wonder any longer.

Edited by ford8

I have called universities in America and researched universities in Thailand. Chula and Sasin are the only Thai recognized universities. If you are a Thai they will accept you in Masters programs for foreigners to America but for a foreigner returning to America with a Thai degree you will meet with many obstacles. You can always choose to go to Webster University in Bangkok.

Hi Bakeman, Maybe you didn't speak with the right person in America or maybe they just didn't know or understand your question.

One of my classmates from Payap University in Chiang Mai is studying now at Harvard University. Another of my classmates is studying at the London School of Economics.

I too was curious if my degree would be accepted in the USA and so I emailed admissions at Harvard, UCLA and even Cambridge in the UK a few years back. They all said if the university is accredited by the government office that regulates education in the country where the university is located, then they would accept the degree as meeting the basic educational requirements such as a bachelor's degree. They still have to pass all other admissions requirements such as an interview or writing an essay.

There are many universities in Thailand that are also approved by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for using their VA education benefits here. My bachelor's degree at Payap University was paid for by the VA as well as part of my masters degree.

Payap is also accredited by the U.S. Department of Education (US DOE) for being able to defer an existing school loan while you are a student at Payap. A foreign school participating in an US DOE program means either the student or the parent of that student can claim Payap on their US federal income taxes.

Webster University is as good as most schools in Thailand but their biggest benefit is that it is a branch of Webster University in the United States. When you graduate you will have a degree from the USA but the cost for that degree will be similar to what a degree cost in Thailand. You can also apply for FASFA if you're an American since they are part of Webster University in the USA. The tax rule applies here too.

Frankly there are some pretty mediocre graduates in easy subjects from Oxford, Stanford, Cambridge etc....I've met them and heard them speak. Don't be too easily impressed, though rankings do show a general trend...e.g. Auckland Uni was in the top 50 on the Times UK ranking some yrs ago and now is about 95th, but in social sciences and liberal arts they were about 30 and 40 globally - I never thought the standard very high and I was pretty average yet scored highly in such easy topics, although I did work hard because I enjoyed learning and believe education to have intrinsic worth for its own sake.

Son was near the top doing his business degree at Auckland Uni, but specifically wanted his masters from Bangkok because his future is here, though he could've had the degree awarded from London Sch of Economics or USA uni by doing just a few papers there. At uckland it was a breeze because he worked a lot to earn money to go skiing whilst completing his degree.

So it can be wrong to ASSUME that those who choose a Thai degree can't foot it well elsewhere. Just as it's wrong to think that only bright people get into top USA and UK unis in easy subjects...business/management is pretty easy for an average abilitied person who may or may not work hard....but science, medicine, physics etc. require higher intelligence...but the creative/innovative in any discipline have high intelligence IMO. Globally unis are competing for "bums on seats" - governments grow tertiary sectors to mask unemployment rates so the standard has been dumbed down pretty well everywhere except for a few of the top establishments like MIT...the Harvard and Yale grads often end up in quite average jobs, tho of coourse the top tier can be outstanding.

Business/management courses vary from institution to institution as far as rigour is concerned. Something that the potential student should investigate, but to stick it in the so-called easy category is a mistake IMHO. Try telling that to the LBS. The same thing would apply to writing off all arts degrees. Re your son, everybody makes their own choices, but me, I would have taken the LSE course looking at things longer term. Intentions when young can change over the years. BTW, telling an Oxbridge Graduate that his/her degree in Greats is just a doddle should generate a laugh or two. And James Bond graduated in Oriental Languages I believe. Another easy arts degree for sure.

Edited by SheungWan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dude enroll in Webster University here in Thailand get your visa and you will have a world wide accredited degree

Not a chance I would attend there..

Why is this? Just had a quick look at the Webster Uni and it seems interesting as a concept - US degree that you can do from Bangkok. It doesn't seem to rank very high in any world rankings though and some didn't even have it listed (perhaps answering my question here?)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dude enroll in Webster University here in Thailand get your visa and you will have a world wide accredited degree

Not a chance I would attend there..

Why is this? Just had a quick look at the Webster Uni and it seems interesting as a concept - US degree that you can do from Bangkok. It doesn't seem to rank very high in any world rankings though and some didn't even have it listed (perhaps answering my question here?)

I too am very interested in why jdinasia would make that statment, as Webster University is on my short list of universities for my daughter, although she would be going for a bachelors, not a masters degree.

To SS1, be careful how you use the world rankings. If you look at Webster U in wikipedia, you will see that it is a US regional school, not a national school, and is rated 21st among regional universities in the Midwest region according to college and university rankings in US News.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_University

That got me interested in what the difference was.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-regional-and-vs-national-university/

Regional universities have a wide range of bachelor level degree programs; some masters level degree programs, and very few doctoral programs.

National universities are known for their full range of degree course and programs. These include bachelor level degree courses, masters and doctoral programs. These institutions are also known for their research facilities.

According to this ranking service, Webster U is number 39 in the US Midwest.

http://www.webometrics.info/en/North_america/natmidwest

From what I have seen so far, Webster University does not look too bad, but would like to hear from someone who doesn't have that opinion.

If you are going to graduate with a First then you more or less have a passport to wherever you want. One of the advantages of attending a uni near the top of the tree is that you will find that doors open for you later in life. Do not underestimate this factor if you are planning a career. It also adds to one's confidence and actually enhances the First you may have achieved at a lower ranked institution. Another point, do not go backwards or even sideways in institutions. With a First you don't really need a masters unless you are pushing upwards in reputation or have a very specific vocational handle. In addition, take a course which is not only value-added (STEM again) in direct employability, but which is sponsored by a leading employer if you are able. It looks more 'right' on the CV. I think you are making a big mistake doing distance mode. It would be much better, again here is the employer link, if you were sponsored through a part-time degree and the question here is whether your current employer/job is in that bracket or you are just mooning about staying in Thailand. If you must work then with a First get a job in Hong Kong and attend a business masters at the Hong Kong OU maybe. Don't blow it.

Some very good points there, SheungWan.

If I'm honest about the reason I want to do a masters, it's actually to give me one or two more years to consider what to do in life and how to go on with my career path. I now have some work experience working in marketing for a large business and most recently, a Thailand based small start up-type company. My last work experience and trip to Thailand involved networking with many entrepreneurs and people involved in the start up communities, which got me very interested in entrepreneurship and startups instead of working for one of the big corporations.

As I realise I'm young and in a critical age to make decicions that can pretty much define the success of my future, I want to try and do something a little wiser than just moving to Thailand after university, since I know that building a career over there is quite challenging. Therefore I thought that by doing a distance learning masters degree, I could give myself some time to live there, network with people and get to know the startup communities, whilst still keeping an "exit strategy" in case it isn't what I want to do.

By doing a distance learning masters for e.g. The University of Liverpool (ranked 134th on some world ranking), it would work pretty well for this purpose. In case after spending some time in Thailand I would feel like returning, it would be always possible with an accredited UK degree from a reputable university. The only issue here is, as I said, that I would be only able to get a limited student grant (if anything at all) for a distance program, so I would possibly need to find other ways to support my living (e.g. freelance job or part time job in Bangkok).

Now if I chose to do an on-campus masters in Bangkok for example, I would get the full student grant, which goes well above a normal teachers salary. So to put it straight, I could either be pretty well off for a year or two, whilst working for a mediocre masters degree, or alternatively live on a very low budget and work towards a more reputable degree.

You are referring to the St.Louis campus.

I am afraid we are not able to discuss Webster in detail here.

Why not share information about it?

To be fair the first impression of Webster University (Thailand campus) doesn't seem very promising. When you click "APPLY ON-LINE NOW" e.g. for an MBA, it takes you to a "Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help" -page.

You are referring to the St.Louis campus.

I am afraid we are not able to discuss Webster in detail here.

Why not share information about it?

To be fair the first impression of Webster University (Thailand campus) doesn't seem very promising. When you click "APPLY ON-LINE NOW" e.g. for an MBA, it takes you to a "Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help" -page.

TVF policy. Do some Google searches or spend a day or two visiting the ChaAm campus.

Some very good points there, SheungWan.

If I'm honest about the reason I want to do a masters, it's actually to give me one or two more years to consider what to do in life and how to go on with my career path. I now have some work experience working in marketing for a large business and most recently, a Thailand based small start up-type company. My last work experience and trip to Thailand involved networking with many entrepreneurs and people involved in the start up communities, which got me very interested in entrepreneurship and startups instead of working for one of the big corporations.

As I realise I'm young and in a critical age to make decicions that can pretty much define the success of my future, I want to try and do something a little wiser than just moving to Thailand after university, since I know that building a career over there is quite challenging. Therefore I thought that by doing a distance learning masters degree, I could give myself some time to live there, network with people and get to know the startup communities, whilst still keeping an "exit strategy" in case it isn't what I want to do.

By doing a distance learning masters for e.g. The University of Liverpool (ranked 134th on some world ranking), it would work pretty well for this purpose. In case after spending some time in Thailand I would feel like returning, it would be always possible with an accredited UK degree from a reputable university. The only issue here is, as I said, that I would be only able to get a limited student grant (if anything at all) for a distance program, so I would possibly need to find other ways to support my living (e.g. freelance job or part time job in Bangkok).

Now if I chose to do an on-campus masters in Bangkok for example, I would get the full student grant, which goes well above a normal teachers salary. So to put it straight, I could either be pretty well off for a year or two, whilst working for a mediocre masters degree, or alternatively live on a very low budget and work towards a more reputable degree.

Sorry to tell you this but Liverpool flog their online courses with a reputation on a par with Phoenix University. ie its borderline spam and as for doing such a course I don't think it will add very much as far as your future career is concerned. If you want to hang out in an entrepreneur environment then the place to be is around Silicon Roundabout so you should get yourself down there. A suitable place for a degree to chime in would be one of three: LSE, LBS or SOAS. Any one of them. With a First you can get in but you need the financial backing to pay for these courses. IMHO your thinking is not wise. Apologies but you are just flaffing about. All that stuff about networking you mention....sadly it sounds like classic back-packer tosh.

Edited by SheungWan

Sounds like a good idea.

As coming to Thailand simply because you want to chill out for a bit might be a bit of a waste in regards to your career path, but if you do your masters at the same time, then it will be time well spent (And better than coming over to just teach English or for an extended holiday).

It'll also be a bit of a talking point on your CV, the fact that you studied outside of the UK, during job interviews etc.

Sounds like a good idea.

As coming to Thailand simply because you want to chill out for a bit might be a bit of a waste in regards to your career path, but if you do your masters at the same time, then it will be time well spent (And better than coming over to just teach English or for an extended holiday).

It'll also be a bit of a talking point on your CV, the fact that you studied outside of the UK, during job interviews etc.

IMHO the CV becomes a relevant talking point if the course was delivered in Thai and the graduate was then able to sell himself as a fluent Thai linguist or say he wanted to study how to play a Thai musical instrument to a high level or even retreat to a Buddhist temple for a year. Actually my money now is leaning towards the extended holiday story with distance mode masters on the side garnished with Khao San Road entrepreneurship. Doing a distance mode course from Liverpool does not count as overseas study in most peoples' book.

Edited by SheungWan

Studying a masters at a Thai university, or UK university via correspondence while working, doing an internship or assisting businesses in Thailand gives a legitimate reason for having knowledge of Asian business, customs and culture.

Via a Thai university would be a better talking point, via a UK university would be a better qualification but less of a talking point, much of a muchness I think. Although via a prestigious Thai university would be better on both counts.

The main thing, CV wise, would be to include some form of business on the side and use that as the basis for a project/thesis. He would then be considered an expert in that particular field, which might open lots of opportunities, particularly with companies who want to do business in Thailand or in partnership with Thai companies. Although even regular companies would see it as a valuable experience, and most importantly, something which makes his CV different from everyone else's.

Learning Thai while he's here would be an additional bonus too, and probably help with his research + work here. A certificate of some description showing the OP's competency in Thai would be a nice feather in the OP's cap too, even if it meant spending a little more time here (And quite handy if he does enjoy staying in Thailand).

• Like 2

Studying a masters at a Thai university, or UK university via correspondence while working, doing an internship or assisting businesses in Thailand gives a legitimate reason for having knowledge of Asian business, customs and culture.

Via a Thai university would be a better talking point, via a UK university would be a better qualification but less of a talking point, much of a muchness I think. Although via a prestigious Thai university would be better on both counts.

The main thing, CV wise, would be to include some form of business on the side and use that as the basis for a project/thesis. He would then be considered an expert in that particular field, which might open lots of opportunities, particularly with companies who want to do business in Thailand or in partnership with Thai companies. Although even regular companies would see it as a valuable experience, and most importantly, something which makes his CV different from everyone else's.

Learning Thai while he's here would be an additional bonus too, and probably help with his research + work here. A certificate of some description showing the OP's competency in Thai would be a nice feather in the OP's cap too, even if it meant spending a little more time here (And quite handy if he does enjoy staying in Thailand).

What we have heard so far is nothing to do with working with established companies in Thailand but rather some vague intention to work with startups whatever they may be plus a UK distance mode masters on the cheap.

For whatever it's worth, I'll reply to this. I'm in my first semester of a master's degree at PSU (Prince of Songkhla University) in Hat Yai and overall, I'm satisfied. The reading load is way way lower than just the reading load for my bachelor's at University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). But the professor's I think are first rate in some respects. The content of their teaching, the content of the classes, their requirements to really understand the material ... all of this is in my view right on. They all speak English very well (though my course work is in Thai), and at least some of them have studied overseas, or with foreign professors here in Thailand. They motivate us and inspire us to dig deep into the material, not settle for superficiality.

The classes are small. There are 11 students this year.

However, there are students who talk in class and the professors say nothing about it. They'll hold conversations in such small intimate settings, and for me anyway, it'd be disturbing if I were sitting next to them. I sit at the very front so they're chatting doesn't bother me. I once mentioned this to a professor and he said he'd talk with other professors about this, but nothing's changed, even in his own class!

The pace and atmosphere is very casual, which I like. To me, you get out of it what you put into it.

I probably wouldn't consider studying here if I didn't live here. I'm in the Agricultural Development Department and want work in this field, in Thailand or maybe some other ASEAN country and do believe that this will be respected by local and even international NGOs and foundations. I also realize that just my bachelor's degree in Cultural Anthropology from UCSC would get me a job at a local NGO for sure, and maybe an international NGO, but I'm happy to get this education just the same.

One of my professors here has told me that you really need to earn a passing grade. A friend who seems to know everything has told me though that professors will do everything possible to pass a student!

Whatever, I'm going to work locally. I believe this education is going to be useful for a career here, and that the degree won't be a hindrance to getting good work.

• Like 2

For whatever it's worth, I'll reply to this. I'm in my first semester of a master's degree at PSU (Prince of Songkhla University) in Hat Yai and overall, I'm satisfied. The reading load is way way lower than just the reading load for my bachelor's at University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). But the professor's I think are first rate in some respects. The content of their teaching, the content of the classes, their requirements to really understand the material ... all of this is in my view right on. They all speak English very well (though my course work is in Thai), and at least some of them have studied overseas, or with foreign professors here in Thailand. They motivate us and inspire us to dig deep into the material, not settle for superficiality.

The classes are small. There are 11 students this year.

However, there are students who talk in class and the professors say nothing about it. They'll hold conversations in such small intimate settings, and for me anyway, it'd be disturbing if I were sitting next to them. I sit at the very front so they're chatting doesn't bother me. I once mentioned this to a professor and he said he'd talk with other professors about this, but nothing's changed, even in his own class!

The pace and atmosphere is very casual, which I like. To me, you get out of it what you put into it.

I probably wouldn't consider studying here if I didn't live here. I'm in the Agricultural Development Department and want work in this field, in Thailand or maybe some other ASEAN country and do believe that this will be respected by local and even international NGOs and foundations. I also realize that just my bachelor's degree in Cultural Anthropology from UCSC would get me a job at a local NGO for sure, and maybe an international NGO, but I'm happy to get this education just the same.

One of my professors here has told me that you really need to earn a passing grade. A friend who seems to know everything has told me though that professors will do everything possible to pass a student!

Whatever, I'm going to work locally. I believe this education is going to be useful for a career here, and that the degree won't be a hindrance to getting good work.

Masters degrees should be fast-paced and intense. Just a reminder that students don't attend uni to be taught, Lecturers/professors are not teachers. One goes to university primarily to read and study and if not much reading is either required or available then what gets lost in the end product is the process. Lecturers can lead and inspire but if the access to texts and journals is not there then much is lost. It is the presence/absence of resources in addition to the communications that separates out the better institutions from the others.

• Like 1

SheungWan ... thanks for that. Honestly, I hadn't made the distinction about professors and lecturers not being teachers. You and / or others may ridicule me (and given what I've seen on this and other fora, I wouldn't be surprised. Yet I'm not pointing any fingers at you or anyone else in particular).

I did mention this observation to one of my professors and his response was that starting the second semester the reading load will increase.

:))

SheungWan ... thanks for that. Honestly, I hadn't made the distinction about professors and lecturers not being teachers. You and / or others may ridicule me (and given what I've seen on this and other fora, I wouldn't be surprised. Yet I'm not pointing any fingers at you or anyone else in particular).

I did mention this observation to one of my professors and his response was that starting the second semester the reading load will increase.

smile.png)

A F/T masters course is normally 12 months, so at the end of the first semester the course is almost half over apart from the project paper. There is little point querying the delivery of a course you are already embarked upon. You just have to make the best of it. It won't change while you are there. However, you do need access to resources. This is the potential weak spot of an overseas course delivered in English but where the institution's first language is not English. The risk is that you study on a diet of 1/2 set texts and some handouts. Some subjects however (eg straight instruction like SPSS) only need the lecturer to provide a work through manual. For sure you should read up and around for courseworks and the thesis.

A F/T masters course is normally 12 months, so at the end of the first semester the course is almost half over apart from the project paper. There is little point querying the delivery of a course you are already embarked upon. You just have to make the best of it. It won't change while you are there. However, you do need access to resources. This is the potential weak spot of an overseas course delivered in English but where the institution's first language is not English. The risk is that you study on a diet of 1/2 set texts and some handouts. Some subjects however (eg straight instruction like SPSS) only need the lecturer to provide a work through manual. For sure you should read up and around for courseworks and the thesis.

"A F/T masters course is normally 12 months...."!!

- It's always been my impression that, at least in the USA, a master's degree is considered to take about two years. My program is a two year course, but few people finish in two. Many students have full time jobs so committing to both full time work and full time studies is "hard". Others ... you know, not all that interested in studying. During orientation the professors told us that in order to graduate in two years you need a good amount of discipline, diligence, and determination. Some students are in their fifth year! I think that's the cut-off. If a person still hasn't graduated at the end of five years ... I don't know what happens to them.

"This is the potential weak spot of an overseas course delivered in English...." My courses are in Thai. For me, that's one weak point. Though I'm decently fluent in Thai, the reading is a bit above my level, as well as some of the lecture material. I honestly don't know what the library has available as I haven't yet had to go check out any books. Professors supply us with everything we need to read, except two professors who do require that we search out material, and, encourage us strongly to think for ourselves, and to analyze situations using what we've learned, and to synthesize information into something perhaps even new! They encourage interaction with life! I've been doing that for years, and very much appreciate a person who encourages just this.

"A F/T masters course is normally 12 months...."!!

- It's always been my impression that, at least in the USA, a master's degree is considered to take about two years. My program is a two year course, but few people finish in two. Many students have full time jobs so committing to both full time work and full time studies is "hard". Others ... you know, not all that interested in studying. During orientation the professors told us that in order to graduate in two years you need a good amount of discipline, diligence, and determination. Some students are in their fifth year! I think that's the cut-off. If a person still hasn't graduated at the end of five years ... I don't know what happens to them.

"This is the potential weak spot of an overseas course delivered in English...." My courses are in Thai. For me, that's one weak point. Though I'm decently fluent in Thai, the reading is a bit above my level, as well as some of the lecture material. I honestly don't know what the library has available as I haven't yet had to go check out any books. Professors supply us with everything we need to read, except two professors who do require that we search out material, and, encourage us strongly to think for ourselves, and to analyze situations using what we've learned, and to synthesize information into something perhaps even new! They encourage interaction with life! I've been doing that for years, and very much appreciate a person who encourages just this.

F/T = Full Time.

If the reading and the lecture material is above your language level and you still haven't gone of your own accord to the library primarily because you cannot read much proficiently then I might advise someone in your position to consider suspending their studies and use the time studying how to read and benefit from Thai texts/materials. At a more brutal level maybe you shouldn't have started just yet and anybody considering following your path possibly shouldn't just do a course because the university has offered them a place. One undertakes a course to maximise benefit and that is as much in the process as receiving the piece of paper at the end.

Edited by SheungWan

A friend who seems to know everything has told me though that professors will do everything possible to pass a student!

Wait until you fall out with any one of them. Someone's graduation is in peril because the reader of his 3 credits paper is the lecturer of a course (that had nothing to do with elt) that he declined taking. Paper was simply thrashed.

A friend who seems to know everything has told me though that professors will do everything possible to pass a student!

Wait until you fall out with any one of them. Someone's graduation is in peril because the reader of his 3 credits paper is the lecturer of a course (that had nothing to do with elt) that he declined taking. Paper was simply thrashed.

I would be rather doubtful of that, although it makes an entertaining story, because all assessments should be (at least in the UK) second marked by another member of staff plus the classwork sampled by an external examiner. Some students can be quick to claim they have been unfairly marked, but when they ask to be re-marked, suddenly lose interest when informed that the existing mark is reset at zero prior to reassessment and that the new mark might end up lower than the previous one.