Thai Masters Degrees.. are they worth anything? Planning a move to LOS

SS1

My wife went to a top university in bkk , then went to another to complete her masters in America , she said the American university was a peice of piss !! The American one was penn state which is highly regarded there . Anyway I hope your not going to dump you obligations and student fees onto the british tax payer !

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not a better degree, then why would any Thai bother to spend their hard earned money studying abroad?

why do folks wear $10,000 rolexes? do they keep better time?

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/why-your-kids-shouldnt-go-harvard-even-if-they-could-get-in_id1247

Élite schools, like any luxury brand, are an aesthetic experience—an exquisitely constructed fantasy of what it means to belong to an élite —and they have always been mindful of what must be done to maintain that experience.

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 2

If it's not a better degree, then why would any Thai bother to spend their hard earned money studying abroad?

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/why-your-kids-shouldnt-go-harvard-even-if-they-could-get-in_id1247

Élite schools, like any luxury brand, are an aesthetic experience—an exquisitely constructed fantasy of what it means to belong to an élite —and they have always been mindful of what must be done to maintain that experience.

Who said anything about elite? Education is what you make of it. But the reputation of western universities as a whole is far better than that of Thai ones.

Btw, most job interviewers don't ask you where you got your watch. Ha ha.

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

Absolute and utter nonsense.

To the OP - please don't be put off by the Thai bashers who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. All their research is done on bar stools usually and involves urban myths which allow them to claim their one CSE in knitting puts them on a par with foreign PhDs.

There are many good quality Thai universities that have international programs taught in English. Assumption University and Bangkok University have many international students on the masters and doctorate programs. AIT, Mahidol, Stanford, and a few others are worth checking out too. Many have and are developing links with British, American, German and French Universities. The Thai Ministry of Education is strict on post graduate standards and course assessment requirements - something I've personally seen. The fees at the private universities aren't cheap though for post graduate courses.

Good luck - and don't be put off by the silly nonsense.

• Like 1

Who said anything about elite? Education is what you make of it. But the reputation of western universities as a whole is far better than that of Thai ones.

American and British Universities, rightly or wrongly, dominate the top world rankings in most of the league tables published.

As a generalization, looking at the average, you are right.

I know of people who achieved Master degrees in US and Australian Universities but can't speak or write basic English.

My wife's Masters was at Kasetsart University. One mandatory course module was in English language. The standard was most definitely Master's level. Over half failed and add to resit. From the resit half failed again. They had to wait several months and sit again with the following year. Not allowed to graduate until that module was passed. Her dissertation was certainly a similar standard to my UK Masters.

I know several visiting Professors - American, Australian, British, French, Finnish and German. All agree there are some good programs here.

• Like 2

American and British Universities, rightly or wrongly, dominate the top world rankings in most of the league tables published.

As a generalization, looking at the average, you are right.

I know of people who achieved Master degrees in US and Australian Universities but can't speak or write basic English.

My wife's Masters was at Kasetsart University. One mandatory course module was in English language. The standard was most definitely Master's level. Over half failed and add to resit. From the resit half failed again. They had to wait several months and sit again with the following year. Not allowed to graduate until that module was passed. Her dissertation was certainly a similar standard to my UK Masters.

I know several visiting Professors - American, Australian, British, French, Finnish and German. All agree there are some good programs here.

KU is a highly ranked Thai uni. But does it- or any other Thai uni- have the credibility to get anyone a decent job in the west? Or a good job for a foreigner in TH?

The general gist of responses is right. Thai degrees at any level are not at the same level as other countries. Why don't you shop around internationally for a bit. I know that several Australian unis would give you maybe half your Masters units as credits depending on the subject of your first degree. PM me if you want to talk more. Cheers Tim

After teaching here at the university level for a few years, I would say no, don't waste your time. Again, there are probably a few exceptions if you are focused on something specific and a scholar in your field (probably related to SE Asia). Even then....you would really have to research it.

I have been given dissertations at the MA level from people at big universities in big cities in Thailand and seen work that corresponds with what I did in high school. I wouldn't have believed it myself before I taught here. And the problem isn't just the English--it's the ideas themselves. A few more years in the UK will set you up much better for a career. Otherwise, as others have said, try another country for a degree first. Thailand will be here waiting for you when you finish the degree.

• Like 2

The core requirement the OP needs to decide on is whether he needs to use the Thai qualification in a career context outside Thailand. If he does, then he may find himself repeatedly needing to explain to potential employers why, after getting a degree from a UK Uni, whatever the standard, he then chose Thailand.

It isn't that there are no good reasons, and no good courses it is simply that people will be somewhat bemused by it. Cost, regional relevance, course specifics could all be offered up as reasons. Indeed, simply arguing that Thailand, as one of the more advanced emerging economies, is worth studying in its own right, could qualify for some people as adequate reason to study here. But - and it is a big *but* - any half-way decent student is probably going to have to take on board that simply following the course in Thailand is not going to be enough. You are going to have to make sure you use the library and other facilities well, to understand what is best practice in the rest of the world, and be comfortable with justifying the decision.

Of course, if you never need to use it to get a job - well, why not! I could live with a couple of years of student life in Khon Kaen, say, myself ! tongue.png

"... but I'm wondering what sort of value to employers give them 1. locally and 2. internationally?"

Answer the question yourself: Go to ANY of the University ranking sites on the net and try to find a Thai university within the top-50 worldwide...

Sasin at Chula is excellent. It isn't cheap though.

True.

But it is very Thai in terms of class mix.

Not worth the risk. I work with two Thais who have a masters in English Language from a BKK uni and can't hold a conversation at the level you would expect with that degree. coffee1.gif

Which Bangkok university? I can't believe this if you refer to Chula, Thammasat or Mahidol. All three are considered very good universities and are among the first 10 in SE Asia.

My dear friend:

This is my honest opinion and I'm always straight to the point... Very German like...

In nowadays turmoil economic transition and the forthcoming of another financial crisis, degrees such as BA, MA, MBA and what not are worth as sh*t. Our economies are already flooded with "academics". We have an over-fluctuation and that means we have more people with those degrees then actual jobs. It's pure market capitalism. New World Order, pal.

There was even news from The Nation about a few weeks ago, stating that there are too many Bachelor graduates and their futures seem less bright. Actually that applies to many other countries as well.

Now specifically talking about your question: Your intention to put yourself with a Thai degree on a Thai uni is certainly, more or less recognised by Thai employers! It goes far beyond... Well it indicates that you are willing to dive into a new culture and learn their education system. If that comes with a solid improvement of your Thai language skills, then yes, hell yes! You're going to be better off and positioned for the future. You're going to compete with a bunch of other expats. Considering your resume and path, you would look pretty good- at least on the paper. Like I said, if you could mix that with your Thai language ability, you're going to be miles ahead of your competitors.

Be advised, that step is huge step. Thai universities might not rank in the top 5 or 10. That is not the point. The point of the matter is that you make the best out of yourself. If you climb the latter up and endure those odds, then you can achieve something. Market yourself well, know the right people, connect with them. You really have to be behind your decisions and be convincing. Be good at it and be good at what you're going to do. Present something that most can't or willing to do. At the end no one, even cares from what uni you've graduated from.

If you like Thailand, you wanna stay here, why not! Do it, try it!

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more with Jonde's advice. In Asia you have a huge number of people graduating from universities who are struggling to get decent jobs. So if you want to get a good job, you need to attend one of the top universities. For Thailand I would recommend Chulalongkorn University. If you plan to stay in Thailand, a masters degree from Chula will certainly get you a good job.

Also we all know that Asia will play a much bigger role in the Global economy going forward, so if you start a job be it in London or Asia and you can already show that you have studied both in the UK and Asia and you have an understanding of different cultures etc, this is definitely a head start compared to other graduates.

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

nonsense. i know thais with bachelor degrees who have done very well in western masters programs

Proves that you are talking completely rot as you would know any Thai wanting to undertake a higher main line degree in a traditional UK university are required to take 1 year transitional study.

As I said they (BA) are mostly worthless. That is not to say that there are a few exceptional Thais who indeed go on to earn a good higher degree, but only once they reach an acceptable standard to commence those studies. even then the majority are those fortunate ones with a well to do family who can afford to send their children to an overseas establishment for higher education and/or university to study for their first degree.

In any event this thread is regarding the "worth" of a masters degree awarded in Thailand. I really thing the OP, having attained his/her first degree in the UK should have had a little more common sense or be more worldly wise to have even needed to ask that question in the first place. Don't uni students have access to google in the UK ?

Quite right.

Indeed, a Russell Group UK university would not regard a Thai undergraduate degree as satisfying the entry requirements for study for a postgraduate degree. UK NARIC, the body which benchmarks overseas qualifications against UK qualifications and degrees, does not regard a Thai undergraduate degree as being of the same standard as a UK undergraduate degree. Hence the need for a year of "top up" study first.

I note that Thai students who have successfully completed PhD studies in the UK, for example at the University of Nottingham and at King's College London, have completed a "top up" year first followed by UK master's degree.

I would agree that he OP should consider a British master's degree rather than a Thai one, given its higher standing and academic credibility. An acquaintance of mine who has lived in Cambodia for 10 years is currently undertaking a London master's degree by online learning.

It is worth bearing in mind that the rapid expansion of higher education in the UK has led to some unintended consequences, including many graduates now working in what were previously non-graduate jobs (flipping burgers in McDonald's and working as bar staff in pubs comes to mind). Employers in the UK are often more interested in where a graduate took his/her degree, and many HR departments will sift out graduate applicants from non-Russell Group universities - I know that this happens in several investment banks and law firms.

There's something odd here from the OP:

I'm soon graduating from an accredited UK university with a bachelors degree in International Business and was planning to continue studies with a masters, e.g. MSc in Management. I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree

What is the OP trying to say with reference to accredited UK university. That it is one of the new, new universities whose only claim to fame is that they are accredited? It would be useful if we could be told which institution. Second, the OP refers to graduating with a first degree. Nobody uses this phrase unless they are trying to indicate that they are hoping to get a first. Is that the case here? Or are we just referring to an undergraduate degree, expectations 2:1? 2:2? 3rd? from where?

Re international job employability, nothing gained from doing a Master's in Thailand. If we are talking International business then the obvious candidates for studying in the Far East would be either Hong Kong or Singapore universities, but I think first of all we need right now to know a little more about the OP's current status.

Here's a data point:

I asked a Thai University professor, with a Thai Master's Degree, who was studying for a PhD at Arizona State University, to explain to me in 25 words or less, what the subject of their original research at ASU was.

He couldn't do it.

That should tell you the level of mental clarity required for a Thai Master's degree.

• Like 1

Not worth the risk. I work with two Thais who have a masters in English Language from a BKK uni and can't hold a conversation at the level you would expect with that degree. coffee1.gif

Which Bangkok university? I can't believe this if you refer to Chula, Thammasat or Mahidol. All three are considered very good universities and are among the first 10 in SE Asia.

I think you will find that the best ranked uni in Thailand as far as world rankings are concerned is King Mongkut's University of Technology.

I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree and already have relevant work experience through internships and summer jobs, so my job prospects don't seem bad at all after graduation.

Then I would suggest that you get a job. Advanced degrees without work experience will not help very much in certain fields.

SheungWan: The emerging distance-learning-market is on the rise. Thus most acclaimed or better say, private institutions require to be accredited. A lot online universities are popping out lately and NOT all get certified, respectively accredited. I assume he simply wanted to point out that his college is legit.

You're right. HK and SG have an overall better position in Asia. Nevertheless. I still think it all comes down to what he does with his life and career and which people he is connected to. The rest will be future and history.

Edited by Jonde

I think this is not a meritocracy, so whether you bought a degree from Pacific University or got a 1:1 from Cambridge is irrelevant.

It's Who You KNOW

One wonders where people dream up their silly comments. Anyway to rephrase the last bit, what is important is who wants to know you and one's education background definitely helps.

By the way what on earth is a 1:1. Is it supposed to designate a First?

SheungWan: The emerging distance-learning-market is on the rise. Thus most acclaimed or better say, private institutions require to be accredited. A lot online universities are popping out lately and all get certified, respectively accredited. I assume he simply wanted to point out that his college is legit.

You're right. HK and SG have an overall better position in Asia. Nevertheless. I still think it all comes down to what he does with his life and career and which people he is connected to. The rest will be future and history.

I would advise against distance mode unless they are maybe executive-based courses linked to one's existing career and provide either evening or weekend or semester mini blocks for students and staff to get together for coursework/teamwork/social activities. Pure distance mode master's after getting say, a 2:2 from a formally legit minor college doesn't add much to the CV especially if the course lacks rigour.

• Like 1

I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree and already have relevant work experience through internships and summer jobs, so my job prospects don't seem bad at all after graduation.

Then I would suggest that you get a job. Advanced degrees without work experience will not help very much in certain fields.

The test is whether any of the internships led to the offer of a job on graduation. Students studying sandwich degrees sometimes not only get a job offer on graduation but the employer will occasionally sponsor the student's final year undergraduate fees if the student commits themselves to future employment with that company.

"... but I'm wondering what sort of value to employers give them 1. locally and 2. internationally?"

Answer the question yourself: Go to ANY of the University ranking sites on the net and try to find a Thai university within the top-50 worldwide...

You mean top 50 in Asia. Worldwide, I think the first Thai Uni comes in around 300, and that's for sciences majors.

Gosh if the University is in the top 25% in the world thats not bad for most students. Several Thai Unis are in this range at 20% the cost of the western one.

• Like 1

There are very capable thai's despite the pervasive average perception. seems to be a fraction of 1%. i have friends like this. not many thai degrees will open doors politically even if the quality is there, thats just reality albeit not fair. the worst grads from prestigious serious universities will likely have much less hassle advancing their careers than the brightest thai grads especially internationally. some exception exist within this but usually related to medical, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical fields in which other countries offer entry exams to international grads.

assumption university thailand seems to produce decent grads.

Degrees from most Thai Universities have no value outside of the Country. There are however a number of Thai Universities that run degree courses linked with Internationally recognised Universities such as UK, USA, European, Japanese, Australian and New Zealand Universities. I have one daughter doing a Degree with a Thai-Japanese University and one with a Thai-New Zealand University Degree course. According to my friends who run Sasin University it is the only International Standard University in Thailand.

Degrees from most Thai Universities have no value outside of the Country. There are however a number of Thai Universities that run degree courses linked with Internationally recognised Universities such as UK, USA, European, Japanese, Australian and New Zealand Universities. I have one daughter doing a Degree with a Thai-Japanese University and one with a Thai-New Zealand University Degree course. According to my friends who run Sasin University it is the only International Standard University in Thailand.

Chula itself is world ranked.