Thai Masters Degrees.. are they worth anything? Planning a move to LOS

SS1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif universities do not make the student.

A goof student will stand out at a poor university.

A poor student will be a poor student even at a prestigious university.

Those students who look for a "good" school so they will be noticed ought to understand that they will still be a poor student and undereducated at a prestigious school if all their education consists of is Keg parties, Frat parties, and Easter Break in Florida.

Penn State might be a prestigious school, but for to many of it's students the only important thing if there "educational experience" there is the parties and the football games.

rolleyes.gif A few years ago I remember a Thai woman who was a regular on this forum.

She went through Thai schools, and then went to the Netherlands to do what I believe was her master's university training.

I remember how surprised she was at the amount of freedom she had to choose her courses and subjects and also the amount of research projects she was told she had to do on her own.

She said that in Thailand she did not have that freedom to pick her own courses and subjects.

She didn't seem to have any problem with English on this forum.

I haven't heard anything from her on this forum for several years, I've always wondered exactly what happened to her.

What Masters degrees pay off the best in Thailand ?

In the West there are many with History masters or Art masters degrees and I wonder what good they do when you are looking for a job in the real world ?

I think if you're Thai and don't have the hurdles foreigners have when working here, there are probably many masters degrees that would be beneficial.

If you are not Thai but plan to live in Thailand then something like TESOL would probably help ensure constant employment while you're here. Degrees in education also seem popular. Master's degrees help to gain employment in universities if there are shortages of university instructors. If this were your goal then the following information might be helpful.

In 2012, there were 16,999 foreign students studying in international degree producing programs in Thailand. The top 10 programs in Thailand in 2012 were (1) Business Administration (2) Thai Language (3) International Business (4) Thai for communication (5) Marketing (6) International Business Management (7) Communicative Thai Language for Foreigners (8) English Language (9) Management and (10) Business English. Of the 16,999 foreigners studying in Thailand in 2012, 6,512 (38.31%) were enrolled in these programs. However they don't indicate how many Thai people are studying these same classes. Over half of the classes listed deal with business subjects and the other half are language related either English or Thai. (SOURCE)

A masters in history may be helpful if you're looking to teach in an international K-12 program as well as a masters in Art.

Other's who read this forum may have additional information I don't have. I hope this helps.

What Masters degrees pay off the best in Thailand ?

In the West there are many with History masters or Art masters degrees and I wonder what good they do when you are looking for a job in the real world ?

I think if you're Thai and don't have the hurdles foreigners have when working here, there are probably many masters degrees that would be beneficial.

If you are not Thai but plan to live in Thailand then something like TESOL would probably help ensure constant employment while you're here. Degrees in education also seem popular. Master's degrees help to gain employment in universities if there are shortages of university instructors. If this were your goal then the following information might be helpful.

In 2012, there were 16,999 foreign students studying in international degree producing programs in Thailand. The top 10 programs in Thailand in 2012 were (1) Business Administration (2) Thai Language (3) International Business (4) Thai for communication (5) Marketing (6) International Business Management (7) Communicative Thai Language for Foreigners (8) English Language (9) Management and (10) Business English. Of the 16,999 foreigners studying in Thailand in 2012, 6,512 (38.31%) were enrolled in these programs. However they don't indicate how many Thai people are studying these same classes. Over half of the classes listed deal with business subjects and the other half are language related either English or Thai. (SOURCE)

A masters in history may be helpful if you're looking to teach in an international K-12 program as well as a masters in Art.

Other's who read this forum may have additional information I don't have. I hope this helps.

Which ones are the best for a Thai that speaks pretty good English and was not planning on being a teacher ?

But wanted to work in an business they could advance in because of English skills ?

Do Thai companies and Thai based International companies look for the same Masters degrees ?