Thai Masters Degrees.. are they worth anything? Planning a move to LOS

SS1

I'm soon graduating from an accredited UK university with a bachelors degree in International Business and was planning to continue studies with a masters, e.g. MSc in Management. I'm estimated to graduate with a first degree and already have relevant work experience through internships and summer jobs, so my job prospects don't seem bad at all after graduation. However, I'm not originally from the UK and can say after 3 years that I definitely don't want to stay here for the rest of my life!

I had a "great" idea recently, which unfortunately failed.. the plan was to complete a distance learning masters degree for one of the good London Universities. They actually have very nice distance masters programs, that can be completed 100% online and have plenty of choices in modules. Some let you do exams in local exam centres in most countries. I was expecting to be able to get a generous student grant from my home country government, until I found out today that for some ridiculous reason, they don't give you anything if the course is completed 100% online. This means there is no way I could afford doing it, or afford living while doing it..

So as you can guess, the plan was to complete the masters in a couple of years whilst living in Thailand, where the generous student grant would have given me a decent income. The idea was to be able to explore job/business opportunities in Thailand while studying the masters degree on the side. The point of this would have also been the fact that I wouldn't sacrifice my job opportunities by moving to Thailand, since I would be always able to return anywhere in Farangland with a UK degree.

Now I started thinking, what about completing a business masters degree in a Thai University? Would you consider this a waste of time, or could it be useful for my future?

I mean I don't expect a Thai university degree to carry the same value as a London degree would obviously, but I'm wondering what sort of value to employers give them 1. locally and 2. internationally?

Are Thai universities actually hard work, or more like UK style with 8-10 hours per week leaving you plenty of time for hobbies and a part time job?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... but I'm wondering what sort of value to employers give them 1. locally and 2. internationally?"

Answer the question yourself: Go to ANY of the University ranking sites on the net and try to find a Thai university within the top-50 worldwide...

Now I started thinking, what about completing a business masters degree in a Thai University? Would you consider this a waste of time, or could it be useful for my future?

I think you probably already know the answer to this question and are just looking for any bit of encouragement. That said a degree is South East Asian studies, Thai language and maybe some of the pure sciences might fly.

"... but I'm wondering what sort of value to employers give them 1. locally and 2. internationally?"

Answer the question yourself: Go to ANY of the University ranking sites on the net and try to find a Thai university within the top-50 worldwide...

You mean top 50 in Asia. Worldwide, I think the first Thai Uni comes in around 300, and that's for sciences majors.

• Like 1

You mean top 50 in Asia. Worldwide, I think the first Thai Uni comes in around 300, and that's for sciences majors.

Depends on where he sees his future living and working... if that is Asia, yes the top 50 Asia universities would do, but if he wants to return to Europe / US (where ever he is coming from), then he really must choose from that basis.

Really? Jesus! I can't believe there's not 300 better unis elsewhere in the world.

I think this is not a meritocracy, so whether you bought a degree from Pacific University or got a 1:1 from Cambridge is irrelevant.

It's Who You KNOW

Normally it is. But- depending on where the OP is from- when I meet a foreigner who chooses to get their degree in TH, I usually wonder why they couldn't hack it back in their own country.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I think Thai degrees are worth a bit here, and very little elsewhere. Most Thais will freely admit they'd get their degree in another country if it was up to them.

• Like 1

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

• Like 1

OP, getting a Thai degree will just look bad after the legitimate, impressive degree you will soon receive.

Everything I've ever heard about a major university in Thailand is that the students cheat a lot. You don't want a degree from such a place.

Get another legitimate degree, or none at all.

• Like 1

Almost completely worthless outside of Thailand. Basically not worth the parchment they are written on owing to low standards and inherent cheating that is endemic within the Thai education system.

That said the people I know here and overseas consider that the true level of achievement for a Thai BA, assuming no cheating, would be around the equivalent of a UK good A level pass, so there is some merit in them.

nonsense. i know thais with bachelor degrees who have done very well in western masters programs

• Like 1

Frankly there are some pretty mediocre graduates in easy subjects from Oxford, Stanford, Cambridge etc....I've met them and heard them speak. Don't be too easily impressed, though rankings do show a general trend...e.g. Auckland Uni was in the top 50 on the Times UK ranking some yrs ago and now is about 95th, but in social sciences and liberal arts they were about 30 and 40 globally - I never thought the standard very high and I was pretty average yet scored highly in such easy topics, although I did work hard because I enjoyed learning and believe education to have intrinsic worth for its own sake.

Son was near the top doing his business degree at Auckland Uni, but specifically wanted his masters from Bangkok because his future is here, though he could've had the degree awarded from London Sch of Economics or USA uni by doing just a few papers there. At uckland it was a breeze because he worked a lot to earn money to go skiing whilst completing his degree.

So it can be wrong to ASSUME that those who choose a Thai degree can't foot it well elsewhere. Just as it's wrong to think that only bright people get into top USA and UK unis in easy subjects...business/management is pretty easy for an average abilitied person who may or may not work hard....but science, medicine, physics etc. require higher intelligence...but the creative/innovative in any discipline have high intelligence IMO. Globally unis are competing for "bums on seats" - governments grow tertiary sectors to mask unemployment rates so the standard has been dumbed down pretty well everywhere except for a few of the top establishments like MIT...the Harvard and Yale grads often end up in quite average jobs, tho of coourse the top tier can be outstanding.

• Like 2

nonsense. i know thais with bachelor degrees who have done very well in western masters programs

Proves that you are talking completely rot as you would know any Thai wanting to undertake a higher main line degree in a traditional UK university are required to take 1 year transitional study.

As I said they (BA) are mostly worthless. That is not to say that there are a few exceptional Thais who indeed go on to earn a good higher degree, but only once they reach an acceptable standard to commence those studies. even then the majority are those fortunate ones with a well to do family who can afford to send their children to an overseas establishment for higher education and/or university to study for their first degree.

In any event this thread is regarding the "worth" of a masters degree awarded in Thailand. I really thing the OP, having attained his/her first degree in the UK should have had a little more common sense or be more worldly wise to have even needed to ask that question in the first place. Don't uni students have access to google in the UK ?

youre full of it pal. i know plenty who come directly to the west and study for a masters at good quality universities after getting their first degree in thailand.

Proves that you are talking completely rot as you would know any Thai wanting to undertake a higher main line degree in a traditional UK university are required to take 1 year transitional study.

As I said they (BA) are mostly worthless. That is not to say that there are a few exceptional Thais who indeed go on to earn a good higher degree, but only once they reach an acceptable standard to commence those studies. even then the majority are those fortunate ones with a well to do family who can afford to send their children to an overseas establishment for higher education and/or university to study for their first degree.

In any event this thread is regarding the "worth" of a masters degree awarded in Thailand. I really thing the OP, having attained his/her first degree in the UK should have had a little more common sense or be more worldly wise to have even needed to ask that question in the first place. Don't uni students have access to google in the UK ?

youre full of it pal. i know plenty who come directly to the west and study for a masters at good quality universities after getting their first degree in thailand.
Agreed. But I think the main point here is a Master's degree from a Thai uni pales in comparison to one obtained in the west, or possibly even in other SE Asian nations. If you have the option to get one elsewhere, you'd best do it. Edited by eldragon

Agreed. But I think the main point here is a Master's degree from a Thai uni pales in comparison to one obtained in the west, or possibly even in other SE Asian nations. If you have the option to get one elsewhere, you'd best do it.

youre blowing smoke. I know for a fact that western universities accept doctoral candidates from thai universities with M.Eng. degrees.

Sasin at Chula is excellent. It isn't cheap though.

• Like 1

Agreed. But I think the main point here is a Master's degree from a Thai uni pales in comparison to one obtained in the west, or possibly even in other SE Asian nations. If you have the option to get one elsewhere, you'd best do it.

youre blowing smoke. I know for a fact that western universities accept doctoral candidates from thai universities with M.Eng. degrees.

Next question is not how many, it is how much?

Okay. Fair enough. But I'm sure any western university will gladly take anyone's money provided they meet all the requirements for entrance. I think what's really important here is how many people with Master's degrees obtained in Thailand use said degree to get a job in the west. If the OP plans on working in the west, he/she would be better off getting his degree there. And if he/she plans on working in TH, and has the option to get his/her degree in the west, he'd be better off doing that too.

• Like 1

Okay. Fair enough. But I'm sure any western university will gladly take anyone's money provided they meet all the requirements for entrance. I think what's really important here is how many people with Master's degrees obtained in Thailand use said degree to get a job in the west. If the OP plans on working in the west, he/she would be better off getting his degree there. And if he/she plans on working in TH, and has the option to get his/her degree in the west, he'd be better off doing that too.

remind me not to ever recommend you for a job in HR

remind me not to ever recommend you for a job in HR

If it's not a better degree, then why would any Thai bother to spend their hard earned money studying abroad?