Microsoft ditching the Nokia name on smartphones

webfact

Microsoft ditching the Nokia name on smartphones

(BBC) Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name from new devices, less than a year after acquiring the Finnish mobile firm.

New Nokia Lumia smartphones will instead by known as Microsoft Lumia, the company said.

Nokia's non-mobile division, which is not owned by Microsoft, will continue to use the name.

The mobile operation was bought by Microsoft in April in a deal worth $7.2bn (£4.6bn).

Since then, Microsoft has quietly shifted away from the Nokia brand.

A post on Nokia France's Facebook page confirmed the branding shift. The renaming will roll out globally in due course, Microsoft has said.

The announcement comes despite Microsoft agreeing to a 10-year deal to use the Nokia name on mobile products.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29724072

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-23

Good news indeed!

The Lumia range is an insult to the name Nokia.

My crappy little 600 baht Samsung is streets ahead of my junk Lumia with Win 8.1

I can't list single messages - I get "threads" which everyone knows are contiguous groups of comments on the same subject. Not random SMS as Microsoft think. Oh! The illiteracy of Microsoft's egocentric little script kiddies.

I can't delete a single message from my SMS's - great for my privacy

I can't delete a call from the call log - great for my privacy.

My "PEOPLE" tile insists on showing all my contacts photos - great for my privacy

I can't throw files down a data lead to my 8TB of LAN storage I must save files to a freakng cloud - a euphemism perhaps for NSA servers???

I must have a Microsoft account to be able to even use my phone. I have an AIS account THAT should be enough. They are the PHONE service providers.

To access files on the phone from my PC I must have the unusable Windows 8 on my PC. Yeah right! I put Win 8.1 on a virtual machine and still cannot access my phone files or send SMS as I could 10 years ago on my NOKIA(!) 3330

Thank you again Microsoft for dropping the Nokia name. I will live happily remembering REAL NOKIA phones before your corporate arrogance destroyed a good company. I still have my 8110 'Banana phone" from 1998 ... and several others that were all user friendly.

Microsoft is so keen on Windows 8.1 that they have declared it defunct already and announced that the next Windows will bypass Windows 9 & go stright to Windows 10. Never mind, the cheap the cheap Nokias/Microsofts still have Android at this stage. Sorry you go stuck with a Windows 8.1 phone. My brother in law has one & struggles with it. My wife who is passable on XP & Win 7 struggles with it for him. She is picking up Android real quick. It is so intuitive.

I have a desktop on XP & an Acer notebook on 7, and am seriously contemplating a Microsoft-free future. I LOVE XP & 7. Windows 10 had better be damned good or I will join the rats leaving. I could not bring myself to defect to Apple IOS & Android on a nice tablet with an external drive and a fast charge backup pack might be the way of the future for me & millions of others. Android has all the intuitiveness that we used to like on Windows and I can't wait to get my hands on the latest Android version announced a week or so ago & hope it is available as an upgrade on my Note 3.

• Like 2

I've been using a Nokia Lumia 920 for almost two years, currently updated to Microsoft Phone 8.1 (Lumia Cyan).

I can't list single messages - I get "threads" which everyone knows are contiguous groups of comments on the same subject. Not random SMS as Microsoft think. Oh! The illiteracy of Microsoft's egocentric little script kiddies.

On my phone text messages have always been threaded simply by the sender without regard to the message content.

I can't delete a single message from my SMS's - great for my privacy.

I can. I just touch the message until a menu comes up, one of who's options is to delete the message.

I can't delete a call from the call log - great for my privacy.

I can. I just touch the call record until a menu comes up, one of who's options is to delete the record.

My "PEOPLE" tile insists on showing all my contacts photos - great for my privacy

My People tile has never shown contact photos.
(Sorry, switching quoting style, hit the forum limit for "quoted blocks of text.")
farangbanok: I can't throw files down a data lead to my 8TB of LAN storage I must save files to a freakng cloud - a euphemism perhaps for NSA servers???
I copy photos, videos and other files back and forth between my PC and phone all the time using a USB cable.
farangbanok: I must have a Microsoft account to be able to even use my phone. I have an AIS account THAT should be enough. They are the PHONE service providers.
I did set up a Hotmail address just for my phone when I first got it, but I've never used, or been required to use, the address since. Instead, I've been able to use my existing e-mail addresses for everything without a problem.
farangbanok: To access files on the phone from my PC I must have the unusable Windows 8 on my PC. Yeah right! I put Win 8.1 on a virtual machine and still cannot access my phone files or send SMS as I could 10 years ago on my NOKIA(!) 3330
My PC is Windows 7 and I've never had a problem accessing my phone with it over a USB cable.
  • Like 2

I've been using a Nokia Lumia 920 for almost two years, currently updated to Microsoft Phone 8.1 (Lumia Cyan).
On my phone text messages have always been threaded simply by the sender without regard to the message content.
I can. I just touch the message until a menu comes up, one of who's options is to delete the message.
I can. I just touch the call record until a menu comes up, one of who's options is to delete the record.
My People tile has never shown contact photos.
(Sorry, switching quoting style, hit the forum limit for "quoted blocks of text.")
farangbanok: I can't throw files down a data lead to my 8TB of LAN storage I must save files to a freakng cloud - a euphemism perhaps for NSA servers???
I copy photos, videos and other files back and forth between my PC and phone all the time using a USB cable.
farangbanok: I must have a Microsoft account to be able to even use my phone. I have an AIS account THAT should be enough. They are the PHONE service providers.
I did set up a Hotmail address just for my phone when I first got it, but I've never used, or been required to use, the address since. Instead, I've been able to use my existing e-mail addresses for everything without a problem.
farangbanok: To access files on the phone from my PC I must have the unusable Windows 8 on my PC. Yeah right! I put Win 8.1 on a virtual machine and still cannot access my phone files or send SMS as I could 10 years ago on my NOKIA(!) 3330
My PC is Windows 7 and I've never had a problem accessing my phone with it over a USB cable.

Perhaps here lies the problem, IT'S NOT USER FRIENDLY...

I happened to recently read that the little NOKIA 1100 and it's variants was not only the best selling cell phone of all time...it was the best selling electronic device of all time.

A sad end to a great name.

Whenever somebody suggest that some government operation "should be run like a business", I think of the monumentally stupid corporate decision making process that leads to disasters like the demise of the NOKIA brand, or POLOROID, or DIGITAL EQUIP. CORP or any of the dozens of others that once ruled their industry. They spend billions on consultants and data yet can never seem to see the writing on the wall.

I remember AN WANG, founder of the once dominant ($50,000 dedicated word processors) WANG LABS stating at an annual meeting:

"No toy box (the IBM PC) will ever be entrusted by the corporate world for it's vital communications."

Bankrupt five years later.

Edited by dddave

It's not the NOKIA name they should drop, it is the Windows 8 operating system. What a piece of crap.

I must admit that I sometimes wonder what would have happened to Nokia if they'd produced Android and Windows phones (like HTC), rather than picking Windows only. (The Android phones they did produce hid the fact they were Android).

• Like 1

It's not the NOKIA name they should drop, it is the Windows 8 operating system. What a piece of crap.

I must admit that I sometimes wonder what would have happened to Nokia if they'd produced Android and Windows phones (like HTC), rather than picking Windows only. (The Android phones they did produce hid the fact they were Android).

Nokia was already well on the way to the grave when they adopted Windows O/S. It was their obstinate refusal first of all to not recognize the incredible market potential of "Smartphones", as they continued to develop and market "feature" phones while Samsung and HTC stole their lunch with constantly improving Android models. Secondly, once they did begin to develop smartphones, they saddled them with the dead in the water Symbian operating system:

"Aps'?? The average consumer doesn't care about aps!"

I totally agree. I am about to return to Thailand after two months in the U.S. All the good apps from banks, transportation companies and retail outlets only work on Apple and Android operating systems. Haven't seen hardly any that work on Windows. I think that says a lot.

This is truly the best thing for Nokia who I read is developing new phones to be released after contract with Microsoft allows them. Microsoft dropping the Nokia name breaks consumers associating Nokia with crap Windows phones. Maybe Nokia can hit a homerun again with a solid Android device later.