Suthep declines court summons over killing of Japanese reporter

webfact

Suthep Declines Court Summons Over Killing of Japanese Reporter

By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Former Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban says he will not attend a court hearing over the killing of a Japanese reporter during the military crackdown on Redshirt protests he authorised in 2010.

Suthep was summoned to give testimony for a court inquest into the death of Muramoto Hiroyuki, the Reuters reporter who was shot dead while covering the clashes between Redshirt protesters and security forces on Din So Road on the night of 10 April 2010.

The crackdown was authorized by Suthep and then-PM Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Suthep, who is now living as a monk in southern Thailand, said he would not attend the court hearing because he has already given testimonies in other court cases related to the 2010 crackdown, an official at the public prosecutor’s office said yesterday.

According to the official, the court will issue another summons for Suthep to provide testimony in court on 25 November. It is unclear whether the former deputy PM will face any legal action if he refuses to attend the hearing.

The inquest was convened by the Criminal Court to determine who was responsible for Mr. Muramoto’s death. The deaths of two Redshirt protesters, Wasan Phuthong and Tossachai Mek-ngamfah, will also be scruitinised in the same hearing.

Twenty-five people were killed in the crackdown on 10 April 2010, which was ordered in an attempt to clear Redshirt protesters from Ratchadamnoen Avenue, though it was later called off after a group of armed militants exchanged fire with security forces, killing five soldiers, including the commander of the operation.

The Redshirt protests were eventually be quelled by another crackdown in May 2010. In total, more than 90 people were killed in the unrest.

Suthep and Abhisit have repeatedly insisted on their innocence, claiming that the military operation was necessary to restore order in the capital city. They also alleged that many of the civilian casualties were in fact caused by "Blackshirt" militants allied to the protesters, not security forces.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-23

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here we go again .

The self proclaimed peoples champion is now the bullet proof monk.

Yinglucks got the gonads to go the distance yet this bloke hides behind monks robes and thinks he's above the law.

Oh those elite there just a little bit above the average thai so why should any of them take notice of the law.

Heheee you really crack me up.
  • Like 1

Suthep has done so much for Thailand the opposition will always try and make false stories .

He is completely innocent should have been awarded for all his effort in containing the red shirt armed militants . The day will come when recognised for being a brave and courageous man that took on these heavily armed people and bought back peace to the country.

• Like 1

Suthep has done so much for Thailand the opposition will always try and make false stories .

He is completely innocent should have been awarded for all his effort in containing the red shirt armed militants . The day will come when recognised for being a brave and courageous man that took on these heavily armed people and bought back peace to the country.

OK fine then "brave and courageous man" shows up in court - yes. Or does he hide? As you say innocent - so show up and tell them why - he is summoned by the court not the red shirts.

• Like 1

No need to make up false stories!!

Try to google Suthep+corruption.

He is no worse than the rest of the bunch, but he certainly isn't better!!

• Like 1

He declines to show up to a court summons? Arrest his ass and make him attend.

How can Thailand ever claim to have a rule of law when those and such as those can thumb their noses at court summonses, when as suspects get interview dates and extensions at their convenience and on and on ?

Exactly. It's pathetic. They know it's pathetic. 'But it the Law'. What is Law if it isn't enforced? And what is Democracy without such enforcement. Flies right over their silly heads. Most of 'em wink.png

He declines to show up to a court summons? Arrest his ass and make him attend.

Attend what? and for what reason?

Just to repeat the same BS thrown at him over the years?

Just to explain once more the reasons behind the order, he and Adhisit issued to supress the clashes?

They had every right to order these actions.

And I hope this case is thrown out of the court.

Not because I'm not against the killings although nobody still knows where the bullets came from, but for the reasons politicians still pursue these court hearings to gain political benefits.

"although nobody still knows where the bullets came from"

Oh, I think they do costas, that's what inquests can, and in most cases did, reveal. Not that he ever will end up in court having to justify why he regarded using live ammunition, deploying snipers and the establishment of live fire zones as a proportionate response to the perceived threat, simply because of who he is and who his backers are. The reason why the Attorney General, not politicians, should still pursue these court hearings is because it would demonstrate that no one is above the law. A laughable concept for the amart I know, but one worth pursuing.

Of course this case will be shoved on the back burner as will any further inquests, for obvious reasons. Once again the perpetrators will get away with it and will continue to do so all the time the perpetrators play their key card. For how much longer that situation will continue, who knows.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

where do you live?his thugs almost killed so many innocent people and he did not care at all.blaming on cambodians if convenient.racist at least.not to mention his last pic with a potential murderer of the british couple in koh tao

he is the kind of man who does not care if one dies at his feet,and maybe will stomp to help...

I could be wrong but I think they were being sarcastic in the post you responded to.

I hope so anyway.

I just caught this out of the corner of my eye on Twitter.

My head is shaking of it's own accord; I can't stop it. How on earth can anyone decline a summons? In the list of things you can do and things you can't do, this would have to be very high on the can't do side, wouldn't it?

Thailand will never grow up as a democracy until the feudal system is completely and absolutely taken away, and all patronage and protection is shunned. As long as people like Suthep continue to choose which laws they will abide by and which they won't, nothing will change. How can that kind of attitude of privilege be changed?.And it's not just Suthep's attitude causing the problem, it's the attitude of society as a whole; he's being all in your face (textbook bully behaviour) and calling the shots, but the rest of society is no better when they won't stand up to him and say 'No! You will not do this. You will abide by the rules of our society, which has changed and you no longer have the privilege you previously enjoyed.'

That's all it would take.

It's not going to happen.

• Like 2

I hope one day these evil criminals are dealt with -

Its really pathetic Thailand allows so many murderous types to roam

"these evil criminals............so many murderous types."

Freddy, apart from Suthep, the subject of this thread , you must have others in mind since you used plurals?

• Like 1

I hope one day these evil criminals are dealt with -

Its really pathetic Thailand allows so many murderous types to roam

"these evil criminals............so many murderous types."

Freddy, apart from Suthep, the subject of this thread , you must have others in mind since you used plurals?

Its clear who were behind the 2010 slaughter -

Names need not be mentioned

• Like 2