British police arrive in Thailand to observe Koh Tao murder probe

webfact

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the media photographs of the plods on Koh Tao seems to show the Region 8 policeman who chased Sean into the minimart and allegedly discussed suicide by hanging with him along with his friend, Mr Mon, standing next to a plod on Sairee Beach.

I wonder how comprehensible the Thai police's English is to the plods and vice versa. The KT police who were interviewing Abigail and Chris Ware the day of the murders ssounded virtually incomprehensible.

In fairness to the Thai police I have never had an issue and have never been asked for a bribe or even had it suggested. In fact I have been surprised how courteous they have been and have always co-operated in anything we have needed. However, I have also never been accused of a crime. I am sure there are good and bad in all areas of life including the police, but my experience of the Thai Police had always been positive.

No one really likes the police.

They get damned by the PC / Liberal do-gooder brigade, and the law and order hang'em high lot too. They either do to little or too much.

You have not been a member of this site long, since July. Don't know how long you've been here. But, because you personally have not had a problem with the RTP, or been asked for bribes, yet, doesn't mean anything. Simply your experience in a time period.

Look up the actual performance statistics of the various British police forces. But, anyone can cherry pick cases to make a point. No police force is perfect. Some officers are no doubt corrupt, some have recently been punished for their actions, deservedly so, and some will be inept.

British police are underpaid and underfunded. Training, moral and operational efficiency must be affected. Passing the tests to become a police officer are not easy. But you don't have to pay to pass, then buy your equipment from your superior officer, then buy your rank and position, then buy promotion - all with a tiny salary that has to be supplemented by other means.

If you believe the RTP are generally equal to or anywhere close to the ability, skills and professionalism of the UK police, then you should do some more research.

Yes your right I only joined the site in July but have lived/visited/Worked in Thailand for over 30 years, so you can't judge my experience of the Police or Thailand experiences on my site membership.

We have a business in Thailand and England which has to deal with the Police on occasion and to be honest the RTP are easier to deal with than the Met who seem inadequate in most of our dealings. The RTP whilst not ideal which is true at least will make a decision and try to help from our experience at least. I've also been stopped on quiet a few road blocks by the RTP over the years and by the traffic police although in Chaingmai at least as soon as the window goes down and they see a Farang they usually seem just wave me through, unless there's something glaring I once had my licence retained as the tax on the pick up had run out and we had just flown back after been away, but when I went to the Police station I paid the fine and got it back with my receipt. However, I've never had to bribe or been asked for one. Maybe I am lucky but my experience is as I say so you have to take as you find.

Unfortunately, corruption/ Framing of suspects in the UK Police is still going on and it's not just the odd case here and there. In fact when I was younger the word of a Police officer in court was universally accepted and you never wanted to be up against one, sadly even the judiciary seem to cast doubt on the truthfulness now and many occasions are reported in the press.

From my experience in other countries the lower the pay and conditions the police are employed under the more chance of corruption. Furthermore the salary of the UK Police is now quiet low compared in relative terms to what it was in the past so it is likely that the quality is also down, as to the tests to join the bar is much lower than it was. The plus point of the UK Police is at least their uniforms are not two sizes too small :-)

What is professional about seeing you are a farang, and then waving you thru ?

I do love the way you guys who spent a lot of time (according to you) in court, are not happy with the way the police acted.

The average cop in England earns around 32 thousand pounds a year. Which is better than the average wage, and overtime is on top. Plus the chance of promotion.

Instead of saying corruption and frame ups happen in England give us an example.

Your post is just an anti police post with no truth to it what-so-ever.

Hmm you must not read the British press? you must be an ex cop? or a nonse looking for an easy ride back home by been nice to the police?

Here's two cases where the Police lied Plebgate where they framed a government minister (One is in jail already). And they have a long history of it take Hillsborough for example? When they shot Mark Duggan all their evidence from the officers who shot him was almost verbatim as they were allowed to sit and discuss it before they wrote it up? One cop has just been charged with murder over a shooting not far from where I live. I am not anti Police just a realist.

Edited by japsportscarmad

JDINASIA now bases his point of view (arguement) on something nobody can possibly know, what hasn't been disclosed. All he keeps saying is they don't have to disclose to the public. Yet he is sure they have enough evidence to go and try these kids for murder. Its so non sensical its embarrassing. How about you base your argument on what we know. On what has been released to the public.

• Like 1

Could they proceed now probably.... How would you know probably.... What has been DISCLOSED is that they haven't proceeded yet..

You really should stop guessing.... How about could they proceed now, probably not. What makes your guess more correct than mine. The facts are they have not proceeded. PROBABLY because they don't have enough evidence..

What makes my position more correct than yours? Statements from the prosecution.

Intellectually I have a problem with the way the PM and the defence minister jumped in to say they were so sure the police had found the right suspects. Personally I think the PM had done a good job, at least in the first 3 months following the coup, regardless of whether the coup was justifed or not. But I would have thought that the right thing for any govt minister to say would be just that the accused will receive a fair trial from our independent judiciary and let the results of the trial show whether the police got the right men or not. Saying the police got the right men seems to presuppose their guilt before the trial.

I would certainly expect the police chief to support his men but government ministers should stay neutral in a legal case. I remember that David Cameron got a lot of flack and some pressure to resign when he made comments supportive of the awful Nigella Lawson when she was the plaintiff in a ridiculous trial that she rightly lost. I don't know much about the defene minister as he is more of an eminence grisebehind the scenes but the PM seems a man of integrity. However, the police case has so many loose ends that it is difficult to believe. In the unlikely event that the suspects were found not guilty or the case thrown out of court, I wonder if the police chief, the PM and the defence minister who have publicly supported the arrests of the suspects would consider resigning. I suppose not.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the phone records have been investigated ? I know in other countries this is looked into along with bank transactions. I do not know how the Thai police operate so I would be interested to know if this happens in Thailand.

There must be probable cause to do either.

Does anyone know if the phone records have been investigated ? I know in other countries this is looked into along with bank transactions. I do not know how the Thai police operate so I would be interested to know if this happens in Thailand.

Do you think they have done it in this case?

Would not happen here, no.

Torture, confessions, reenactments and publicly pointing a finger for photo ops however happen regularly.

Oh and the public wai asking for forgiveness.

There's your Thai policing for you.

For which they are usually paid covertly and handsomely

The Thai police mind is something to behold. I am not sure if you reside in the land of smiles but it is indeed an eye opener when you do. Personally rather take my chances with Indo coppers. Also daft, but incomparable to the Thai.

• Like 1

Highly unlikely. Who would they be looking at? The people that the conspiracy theorists want to blame have been ruled out as suspects due to having alibis

Source?

Why was one of the 'big bosses' allowed onto the crime scene? You seem to be 'knowledgable. Explain please?

Is this you?

post-209519-0-96108600-1414314518_thumb.

Source?

Why was one of the 'big bosses' allowed onto the crime scene? You seem to be 'knowledgable. Explain please?

I have no idea.

Yes your right I only joined the site in July but have lived/visited/Worked in Thailand for over 30 years, so you can't judge my experience of the Police or Thailand experiences on my site membership.

We have a business in Thailand and England which has to deal with the Police on occasion and to be honest the RTP are easier to deal with than the Met who seem inadequate in most of our dealings. The RTP whilst not ideal which is true at least will make a decision and try to help from our experience at least. I've also been stopped on quiet a few road blocks by the RTP over the years and by the traffic police although in Chaingmai at least as soon as the window goes down and they see a Farang they usually seem just wave me through, unless there's something glaring I once had my licence retained as the tax on the pick up had run out and we had just flown back after been away, but when I went to the Police station I paid the fine and got it back with my receipt. However, I've never had to bribe or been asked for one. Maybe I am lucky but my experience is as I say so you have to take as you find.

Unfortunately, corruption/ Framing of suspects in the UK Police is still going on and it's not just the odd case here and there. In fact when I was younger the word of a Police officer in court was universally accepted and you never wanted to be up against one, sadly even the judiciary seem to cast doubt on the truthfulness now and many occasions are reported in the press.

From my experience in other countries the lower the pay and conditions the police are employed under the more chance of corruption. Furthermore the salary of the UK Police is now quiet low compared in relative terms to what it was in the past so it is likely that the quality is also down, as to the tests to join the bar is much lower than it was. The plus point of the UK Police is at least their uniforms are not two sizes too small :-)

What is professional about seeing you are a farang, and then waving you thru ?

I do love the way you guys who spent a lot of time (according to you) in court, are not happy with the way the police acted.

The average cop in England earns around 32 thousand pounds a year. Which is better than the average wage, and overtime is on top. Plus the chance of promotion.

Instead of saying corruption and frame ups happen in England give us an example.

Your post is just an anti police post with no truth to it what-so-ever.

Hmm you must not read the British press? you must be an ex cop? or a nonse looking for an easy ride back home by been nice to the police?

Here's two cases where the Police lied Plebgate where they framed a government minister (One is in jail already). And they have a long history of it take Hillsborough for example? When they shot Mark Duggan all their evidence from the officers who shot him was almost verbatim as they were allowed to sit and discuss it before they wrote it up? One cop has just been charged with murder over a shooting not far from where I live. I am not anti Police just a realist.

Please expand on your first line. I would like to know how you came to those conclusions.

Highly unlikely. Who would they be looking at? The people that the conspiracy theorists want to blame have been ruled out as suspects due to having alibis

Alibis? Who? Where?

You talking about CCTV that can be proven to have been altered, or a cousin who said she was in Bangkok with suspect and was subsequently found to be in Pattaya with her BF?