British police arrive in Thailand to observe Koh Tao murder probe

webfact

This is a thread about a terrible crime and an seemingly inadequate cas handling by the Thai police.

Many people have been hoping for a check by qualified police. Now the Brits are here at last and some posters

have nothing better to do then to cherrypick on some past failures by them. Which is not helpful anyway.

They'd better been quiete.

Another poster somewhere above said rightly:

"Anyone can cherry pick cases to make a point. No police force is perfect. Some officers are no doubt corrupt, some have recently been punished for their actions, deservedly so, and some will be inept."

• Like 2

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they arrived with their own interpreters and not reliable on ones provided by Police. They will also have to be careful as I imagine the police guys they work with will set up a good night out for them and behind the scenes have some ladies available so they can accuse them of ?????? If they start to get cockey, not Dick cockey, Ha.

They must be aware of set ups. Hopefully, they've been warned. Can see it now. A couple of detectives taken to a 'restaurant' for a briefing on the case. Two stunning Thai ladies in their early twenties serve the cops drinks, bending over to reveal too much cleavage as they do. ''Oops'' said Ploy as she 'accidentially' drops the officer's bill and bends over to reveal that she is going 'commando'. Next up, ''Me so tired...I want sleep...you?

Joking aside, I'm being semi-serious. They've got to aware that such a thing is a possibilty. There are some on Ko Tao that would love to discredit the UK cops.

I hope they arrived with their own interpreters and not reliable on ones provided by Police. They will also have to be careful as I imagine the police guys they work with will set up a good night out for them and behind the scenes have some ladies available so they can accuse them of ?????? If they start to get cockey, not Dick cockey, Ha.

They must be aware of set ups. Hopefully, they've been warned. Can see it now. A couple of detectives taken to a 'restaurant' for a briefing on the case. Two stunning Thai ladies in their early twenties serve the cops drinks, bending over to reveal too much cleavage as they do. ''Oops'' said Ploy as she 'accidentially' drops the officer's bill and bends over to reveal that she is going 'commando'. Next up, ''Me so tired...I want sleep...you?

Joking aside, I'm being semi-serious. They've got to aware that such a thing is a possibilty. There are some on Ko Tao that would love to discredit the UK cops.

Hmm that's a cynical view to take about the Thai Police, I doubt if they would use anyone as old as 20 :-) that would be totally incompetent as bait for some elderly podgy UK dibble to take. The Thai police would not be so incompetent as that.

I guess they will have been selected carefully and not just on rank of who is entitled to a 'jolly' surely that couldn't happen could it. As the press will be on this I hope not for all our sakes.

• Like 1

The British police may have been on occasion incompetent , corrupt and subject to political pressure but , and this is the point , the RTP are less professional in all respects by a huge margin. I doubt that any police force in the world has a reputation to equal the Brits so time to cut out the bullxxxx .
Your either an ex copper or a coppers mark or grass ain't you more likely the latter

As You know nothing about how the criminal justice system at all. The British police are no better than many out there and not as good as many. But whist many police officers are dedicated honest and hard working it would appear many are not.

Congratulations on the insulting responses , I especially liked the reference to ladyboys , always a sign of somebody who has a strong argument ! BSc from a top English university , of course you have.

Actually it's a Masters MSc I have not a Bachelors BSc did you not get the chance to enhance your educational progress? Poor man I feel sorry for you.

Perhaps a module in English Grammar and punctuation would have enhanced your credibility.

Hmm perhaps your right old chap. I am dyslexic which is not the best thing at all. However, this is a forum not an essay or dissertation, so you tend to write informally as you speak not as you actually should. I do have a Trinity college TEFL Cert actually I completed some time ago again a genuine course taken in London.

I believe the Thais will hunny trap them, unless females have been sent, and then black mail them the shut the up about anything dodgy

Or 'boys' the UK Police are 'very diverse' I am sure Stalwarts of British justice would not fall for such a thing as a Honey trap at all, wooooh I just remembered that British MP just did so maybe we're in trouble after all.

Well I will not be holding my breath on this one. I would have love to be in on the briefing the British detectives received. Remember you are guests in the country of Thailand and you are only here to observe.

This is a JOKE. There is no crime seen. Washed away by the tide, The DNA can not be trusted. What happened to the DNA in Singapore ?

The politicians of today are a joke, Political correctness overload.

I get a travel warning about Marshal Law from the Us Embassy, Nothing about the possibility of your safety from thugs,murders,scamers, and rapist.

David Cameron was promised cooperation and cooperation into examining evidence. However when the Thai PM held a press conference he back peddled to observation only.. This was hours after his promises. I have no confidence in the Thai PM.

• Like 2

Well I will not be holding my breath on this one. I would have love to be in on the briefing the British detectives received. Remember you are guests in the country of Thailand and you are only here to observe.

This is a JOKE. There is no crime seen. Washed away by the tide, The DNA can not be trusted. What happened to the DNA in Singapore ?

I get a travel warning about Marshal Law from the Us Embassy, Nothing about the possibility of your safety from thugs,murders,scamers, and rapist.

David Cameron was promised cooperation and cooperation into examining evidence. However when the Thai PM held a press conference he back peddled to observation only.. This was hours after his promises. I have no confidence in the Thai PM.

I can imagine what the British Government would do if a Thai got murdered in the UK and the Thai police wanted to re investigate it. I don't particularly trust any establishment anywhere in the world to tell the whole truth. Also the British police have no powers of investigation at all absolutely none on foreign soil so could only ever be observers in any non British territory that's how it is, they have no power at all in Thailand to even get anyone to answer a question or see anything, so maybe the Thai PM was more accurate in his answer than Cameron was, who needs to look busy and in charge.

Hmm "promised cooperation".. I must have missed that.

Since legally all that the UK police can do is observe, it is far more likely that they were only offered access to observe. See test results from DNA and medical screenings of the 2 Burmese men.

Who are these Brit policemen, what are their qualifications and experience. Which police force are they members of ?

We haven't got their names yet, but this is what we do know:

1) They are from Scotland Yard. Which is actually in London (a bit confusing I suppose).

2) Reports suggest that they are sending over some of their 'top' detectives plus a top forensics dude.

Scotland Yard are regarded by some as the best of the best when it comes to detective work in the UK. The UK probably has a similar level of police expertise as other first world nations like USA, Australia, Germany, Japan etc.

So, I would hazard a guess that these chaps are pretty good. There are obvious clues and holes in this case and I wouldn't be surprised if they simply come over and present their findings to the Thai government within a day or two. I beleive things like phone records will already have been looked at. That is one thing the cops always seem to do in serious crime cases. The UK (I beleive) has access to worldwide phone calls (mobile networks). I hear the USA also has the same system, the name of it escapes me.

You can take it as red that they already:

Have looked at phone records.

Have checked that CCTV pic of Nomsod and deemed it fake or real already.

Will know if DNA was 'planted' on Hannah. Remember, the bodies have been in the UK.

Will check social media (girlfriend of suspect) and find out if those posts were genuine ones from her.

Will have asked for access to bank details of many on the Island.Getting those may prove vital.

Will have asked for access to police radio recordings/mobile telephone numbers .Again, those may prove important.

They may be only observing, but there is a lot that they may have already done. The will present this to the RTP (and then to the Thai gov after the cops 'poo-poo' the findings). If the Thai gov dismiss any findings from Scotland Yard, it may do a lot of damage to Thailand's already damaged reputation.

Edited by Fatty123

I believe the Thais will hunny trap them, unless females have been sent, and then black mail them the shut the up about anything dodgy

Or 'boys' the UK Police are 'very diverse' I am sure Stalwarts of British justice would not fall for such a thing as a Honey trap at all, wooooh I just remembered that British MP just did so maybe we're in trouble after all.

You are really coming across as pretty pathetic, both of you.

japsportscarmad probably has too many speeding fines in his baby Nissan?

I can imagine what the British Government would do if a Thai got murdered in the UK and the Thai police wanted to re investigate it. I don't particularly trust any establishment anywhere in the world to tell the whole truth. Also the British police have no powers of investigation at all absolutely none on foreign soil so could only ever be observers in any non British territory that's how it is, they have no power at all in Thailand to even get anyone to answer a question or see anything, so maybe the Thai PM was more accurate in his answer than Cameron was, who needs to look busy and in charge.

AFAIK.. Cameron never claimed to have been promised anything. The only statement I saw was from an unnamed diplomatic source.

AFAIK.. Cameron never claimed to have been promised anything. The only statement I saw was from an unnamed diplomatic source.

Was this another meeting you attended ?

Meeting ???

No Berty. We are talking about news reports. I certainly welcome any source you care to cite from reliable sources showing I am wrong.

Oh dear very disappointed yet again.

You always post as if you are in the know. Yet all you do is report what the RTP report.

Meeting ???

No Berty. We are talking about news reports. I certainly welcome any source you care to cite from reliable sources showing I am wrong.

You always post as if you are in the know. Yet all you do is report what the RTP report.

No Berty, I post what is in reliable news sources.

Meeting ???

Well maybe you didn't read what the UK embassy spokesman said was going to be the objectives of the Brit police involvement. Two specifics: to review the DNA evidence - to review the allegation of torture. That's reliable news source.

• Like 2

Meeting ???

Well maybe you didn't read what the UK embassy spokesman said was going to be the objectives of the Brit police involvement. Two specifics: to review the DNA evidence - to review the allegation of torture. That's reliable news source.

You are wrong.

If the UK spokesman had not been authorised by the RTP then as far as the sad one is concerned it is NOT a reliable news source.

Some of us may disagree, however.

• Like 1

The Koh Tao Murders... Simply follow the Electronic Trails...

Perhaps there is great value in what the British cops could follow and observer - - This is what a well-connected and computer savvy British cop should "follow and observe" in Thailand - -

Start with the obvious: The murders were perhaps committed by a well-connected Thai. That is what everyone suspects, so why not start there? Doesn't it appear that the village headman was too keen on avoiding a police investigation of his extended family and friends? To what lengths did he go to deflect an honest inquiry?

It has only been about 6-weeks since the young British couple were slain by unknown attackers. The DNA samples may have been compromised, but the electronic trails are still very warm.

Thai people (..wealthy and powerful and average..) all love their mobile phones and their ATM cards. The British investigators should follow the electronic trails, in order to establish probable or circumstantial evidence.

Even if the Koh Tao village headman and his family have all changed their mobile phone numbers, and opened new bank accounts, it doesn't matter. The local phone company computers retain all SMS text messages, and all cell tower connection data for 90-days. (This is true for DTAC, AIS, etc.) The Thai banking and ATM and CDM data is essentially retained "forever".

The British investigator needs only a starting point. He should start by determining this - -

1. What mobile phone number(s) were in use by the Koh Tao village headman, his son, and their extended circle of family and friends and cop buddies on or about 15-Sept-2014? Start with even just one verified phone number. Follow the connections. Read the text messages. You don't need triangulation data. Just a connection record with one single tower will show where in Thailand was any given mobile on any given day. The text messages, together with the approximate location of the Thai suspects, and the spider's web circle of connections will surely raise a few eyebrows. If we were back in the real world, that is how real police would establish locations and extract electronic information. (By the way, I am not referring to GPS/GPRS data from 3G/4G mobiles. All mobiles, even old 2G phones, leave connection data on the DTAC/AIS computers. Look at the signal strength bar graph on any Thai mobile. When switched on, a mobile phone is continually "connected" to at least one cell tower. Part of the 90-day data retention record is simply the tower registration number, to which that mobile phone is connected at any given time.) (Also, please realize that when you "erase" SMS text messages from your mobile, you have only erased the local copy. The server copy still has a 90-day shelf life...)

2. What bank accounts were in use by the Koh Tao village headman, his son, and their extended circle of family, friends, mia nois, girlfriends, (and cop buddies) on or about 15-Sept-2014? Follow the ATM withdrawals and the CDM redeposits from that day forward. Follow the account-to-account transfers. Follow the money trails. Ask questions. If we were back in the real world, that is how real police would investigate "suspicious behavior" in terms of who was paying off whom from 15-Sept forward...

3. Which cops, translators and other persons of interest were involved with the young Burmese boys in the "Safe House" on Koh Tao? What mobile phone numbers were those cops using on the day that the confessions were "extracted" from the Burmese suspects? The British police should follow the connections from those cops' mobile phones to bigger fish up the food chain. Wouldn't you like to read those Thai cop mobile phone text messages from that day?

It wouldn't take Agent 007 to connect the dots on all of the above, now would it? The media reports that 7 or 8 British cops are here in Thailand looking into the murders. All you need is one computer savvy British cop, and one "honest" Thai translator, and a court order allowing unfettered access to all electronic phone and banking records still stored on local servers.

It ain't rocket science...

JD

Very good point tracing all the phone calls and messages prior to and after the murders on the island and others who have left the island may have some interesting info.

• Like 1

Meeting ???

Which embassy spokesman? BTW I think review could be synonymous with observe as opposed to investigate.

Perhaps there is great value in what the British cops could follow and observer - - This is what a well-connected and computer savvy British cop should "follow and observe" in Thailand - -

Start with the obvious: The murders were perhaps committed by a well-connected Thai. That is what everyone suspects, so why not start there? Doesn't it appear that the village headman was too keen on avoiding a police investigation of his extended family and friends? To what lengths did he go to deflect an honest inquiry?

It has only been about 6-weeks since the young British couple were slain by unknown attackers. The DNA samples may have been compromised, but the electronic trails are still very warm.

Thai people (..wealthy and powerful and average..) all love their mobile phones and their ATM cards. The British investigators should follow the electronic trails, in order to establish probable or circumstantial evidence.

Even if the Koh Tao village headman and his family have all changed their mobile phone numbers, and opened new bank accounts, it doesn't matter. The local phone company computers retain all SMS text messages, and all cell tower connection data for 90-days. (This is true for DTAC, AIS, etc.) The Thai banking and ATM and CDM data is essentially retained "forever".

The British investigator needs only a starting point. He should start by determining this - -

1. What mobile phone number(s) were in use by the Koh Tao village headman, his son, and their extended circle of family and friends and cop buddies on or about 15-Sept-2014? Start with even just one verified phone number. Follow the connections. Read the text messages. You don't need triangulation data. Just a connection record with one single tower will show where in Thailand was any given mobile on any given day. The text messages, together with the approximate location of the Thai suspects, and the spider's web circle of connections will surely raise a few eyebrows. If we were back in the real world, that is how real police would establish locations and extract electronic information. (By the way, I am not referring to GPS/GPRS data from 3G/4G mobiles. All mobiles, even old 2G phones, leave connection data on the DTAC/AIS computers. Look at the signal strength bar graph on any Thai mobile. When switched on, a mobile phone is continually "connected" to at least one cell tower. Part of the 90-day data retention record is simply the tower registration number, to which that mobile phone is connected at any given time.) (Also, please realize that when you "erase" SMS text messages from your mobile, you have only erased the local copy. The server copy still has a 90-day shelf life...)

2. What bank accounts were in use by the Koh Tao village headman, his son, and their extended circle of family, friends, mia nois, girlfriends, (and cop buddies) on or about 15-Sept-2014? Follow the ATM withdrawals and the CDM redeposits from that day forward. Follow the account-to-account transfers. Follow the money trails. Ask questions. If we were back in the real world, that is how real police would investigate "suspicious behavior" in terms of who was paying off whom from 15-Sept forward...

3. Which cops, translators and other persons of interest were involved with the young Burmese boys in the "Safe House" on Koh Tao? What mobile phone numbers were those cops using on the day that the confessions were "extracted" from the Burmese suspects? The British police should follow the connections from those cops' mobile phones to bigger fish up the food chain. Wouldn't you like to read those Thai cop mobile phone text messages from that day?

It wouldn't take Agent 007 to connect the dots on all of the above, now would it? The media reports that 7 or 8 British cops are here in Thailand looking into the murders. All you need is one computer savvy British cop, and one "honest" Thai translator, and a court order allowing unfettered access to all electronic phone and banking records still stored on local servers.

JD

Very good point tracing all the phone calls and messages prior to and after the murders on the island and others who have left the island may have some interesting info.

One problem with the scenario as presented.

The UK cops don't have the authority.

The Thai cops don't either w/o a court order.

JD

One problem with the scenario as presented.

The UK cops don't have the authority.

The Thai cops don't either w/o a court order.

would it be difficult for either of them to get authorisation ?