New York doctor tests positive for Ebola

webfact

The word that I had problem with is "officially free". WHO has definitions on when a country becomes "officially free" (which is a test applied to countries that were not free of the outbreak before). If there was no "outbreak" then it would not become "officially free". If it became "officially free" then there was an outbreak :P

As far as I am concerned the US is (not officially) free of ebola now.... with two incursions of ebola into the US and both hitting a brick wall of a reasonably response that most western countries would mount - it confirms to me that this hype/hysteria/panic some members had about ebola coming to the US and the end of the world was near if we did not close our borders and hide in corners until the plague had passed. Ebola is not the disease to worry about, not as much as some future flu or coronavirus outbreak...... I said back when the first case came to the US shores, that my litmus test would be if the "outbreak" hit 30 people in three months... and then I would change my mind if that happened.... it has not and likely never will. Ebola smola :P

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am concerned the US is (not officially) free of ebola now....

Well as far as I'm concerned there are currently 0 cases and there aren't likely to be any more from the people being monitored, so I think you can sleep soundly at night.

thumbsup.gif

Well as far as I'm concerned there are currently 0 cases and there aren't likely to be any more from the people being monitored, so I think you can sleep soundly at night.

thumbsup.gif

Why would anyone worry about the people being monitored? It is the people not being monitored I would be worried about.

thumbsup.gif

Why would anyone worry about the people being monitored? It is the people not being monitored I would be worried about.

Well that's about 99.99999999% of the population so I would put on your brown corduroys if I were you.

thumbsup.gif

Well that's about 99.99999999% of the population so I would put on your brown corduroys if I were you.

Silly answer. Smart people have stopped issuing visas for people in the countries where Ebola comes from. That is what we have been discussing here for the past few days.

Keep them where they are. It'll eventually stop.

Silly answer. Smart people have stopped issuing visas for people in the countries where Ebola comes from. That is what we have been discussing here for the past few days.

Not even worth recycling that particular conversation which has been discussed a long while back, other than to say that there is nothing smart about trying to close porous borders.

Not even worth recycling that particular conversation which has been discussed a long while back, other than to say that there is nothing smart about trying to close porous borders.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Was Mr. Spencer considered a national EVD outbreak?

Yes

A disease outbreak is the occurrence of cases of disease in excess of what would normally be expected in a defined community, geographical area or season.

The normal occurrence of cases within the United States is zero.... and last time I took math, 1 > 0.

Maybe you were not that good in math :o

Maybe its not a math thing, but a common sense thing.

I don't know that the cases that happened in the US could be considered an 'outbreak.'

Maybe it is a doom and gloomer outbreak hysteria predictor saving face thing. Quick, close the Texas borders or light the Rio Grande in fire before the billion Ebola zombies cross into Texas and take over the US.

That said, I am still for denying Visas to West Africans based in economic and common sense reasons. Obama is probably scared that once Visas from these areas got shut down, intelligent, rational people would realize that was a good thing and leave it that way.

I don't know that the cases that happened in the US could be considered an 'outbreak.'

More like a "break out." They were infected and told to stay home and they broke out and went bowling and stuff like that. But hey, what can you expect the guy is only a doctor!

Edited by thailiketoo

Yes but I prefer to listen to the opinions of qualified health care professionals rather than those of Daily Mail readers and Fox News viewers.

Yes but I prefer to listen to the opinions of qualified health care professionals rather than those of Daily Mail readers and Fox News viewers.

Even Fox has moved on to something else. Yes, I admit it. I watch Fox News . . . Some damn decent eye candy on there and they are entertaining to say the least.

Edited by F430murci

9 out of 10 of those surveyed said they are registered to vote

Exciting stuff.

And how many of them are qualified healthcare professionals?

rolleyes.gif

Obama is riding a wave of contempt for the most part and disgust at the least part. The average Joe figured out you could catch Ebola from a sneeze in about 10 minutes of the news appearing on Thai Visa. Do you know how long it took the CDC to figure that out?

The CDC said it doesn’t spread at all by air, then Friday they came out with this poster,” she said. “They admit that these particles or droplets may land on objects such as doorknobs and that Ebola can be transmitted that way.”

The CDC did not respond to a request for comment.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/cdc-admits-droplets-from-a-sneeze-could-spread-ebola/

WASHINGTON -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has quietly removed some Ebola information from its website. The changes follow claims from news outlets and conservative blogs that the agency hasn't been forthcoming about how the virus spreads, but it was not clear on Thursday afternoon whether the removal was related to the reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/cdc-ebola_n_6078072.html

Now you can draw your own conclusions but I knew you could get Ebola from a sneeze a long time before the CDC. Am I that smart or is the CDC that ignorant?

• Like 1

Exciting stuff.

And how many of them are qualified healthcare professionals?

rolleyes.gif

Obama is riding a wave of contempt for the most part and disgust at the least part. The average Joe figured out you could catch Ebola from a sneeze in about 10 minutes of the news appearing on Thai Visa. Do you know how long it took the CDC to figure that out?

The CDC said it doesn’t spread at all by air, then Friday they came out with this poster,” she said. “They admit that these particles or droplets may land on objects such as doorknobs and that Ebola can be transmitted that way.”

The CDC did not respond to a request for comment.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/cdc-admits-droplets-from-a-sneeze-could-spread-ebola/

WASHINGTON -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has quietly removed some Ebola information from its website. The changes follow claims from news outlets and conservative blogs that the agency hasn't been forthcoming about how the virus spreads, but it was not clear on Thursday afternoon whether the removal was related to the reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/cdc-ebola_n_6078072.html

Now you can draw your own conclusions but I knew you could get Ebola from a sneeze a long time before the CDC. Am I that smart or is the CDC that ignorant?

The CDC has not modified its advice.

Can Ebola be spread by coughing or sneezing?

There is no evidence indicating that Ebola virus is spread by coughing or sneezing. Ebola virus is transmitted through direct contact with the blood or body fluids of a person who is sick with Ebola; the virus is not transmitted through the air (like measles virus). However, droplets (e.g., splashes or sprays) of respiratory or other secretions from a person who is sick with Ebola could be infectious, and therefore certain precautions (called standard, contact, and droplet precautions) are recommended for use in healthcare settings to prevent the transmission of Ebola virus from patients sick with Ebola to healthcare personnel and other patients or family members.

There is no evidence indicating that Ebola virus is spread by coughing or sneezing. Ebola virus is transmitted through direct contact with the blood or body fluids of a person who is sick with Ebola; the virus is not transmitted through the air (like measles virus). However, droplets (e.g., splashes or sprays) of respiratory or other secretions from a person who is sick with Ebola could be infectious, and therefore certain precautions (called standard, contact, and droplet precautions) are recommended for use in healthcare settings to prevent the transmission of Ebola virus from patients sick with Ebola to healthcare personnel and other patients or family members.

First they said you couldn't get from sneezing and any fool knew you could so they changed their opinion to reflect what everyone else knew anyway.

Can Ebola be spread by coughing and sneezing? Yes it can. Because the CDC says no it can't in the first paragraph and yes it can in the second paragraph notwithstanding.

• Like 1

First they said you couldn't get from sneezing and any fool knew you could so they changed their opinion to reflect what everyone else knew anyway.

Can Ebola be spread by coughing and sneezing? Yes it can. Because the CDC says no it can't in the first paragraph and yes it can in the second paragraph notwithstanding.

It doesn't say that at all.

In fact they have clearly stated several times that they know of not one single infection caused by sneezing or coughing.

I think you've been watching too much Fox News.

It doesn't say that at all.

In fact they have clearly stated several times that they know of not one single infection caused by sneezing or coughing.

I think you've been watching too much Fox News.

1. Ebola can't be spread by sneezing and coughing. CDC "There is no evidence indicating that Ebola virus is spread by coughing or sneezing."

2. Ebola can be spread by sneezing and coughing, CDC "However, droplets (e.g., splashes or sprays) of respiratory or other secretions from a person who is sick with Ebola could be infectious"

PS. Splashes or sprays of respiratory secretions are coughing and/or sneezing.

• Like 1

The Sneeze debate continues. The World Health Organization has just issued new guidelines for health workers that specify protective equipment should be worn to protect the mouth, nose and eyes from contaminated droplets and fluids.

So, how far can a sneeze travel? CDC 3 feet. Massachusetts Institute of Technology says 20 feet. Who do you believe?

Sneezing can probably travel up to 20 feet, but in general the type of sneeze that would contain fluid droplets would be heavier and less likely to travel that far. The point is, Ebola is not spread by air. It is spread by contact with bodily fluids.

So, how far can you spit? How far can you pee?

There have been people on buses and planes and even in the same household as those with Ebola and they haven't caught it.

What exactly is the infection rate in the US right now?

Sneezing can probably travel up to 20 feet, but in general the type of sneeze that would contain fluid droplets would be heavier and less likely to travel that far. The point is, Ebola is not spread by air. It is spread by contact with bodily fluids.

So, how far can you spit? How far can you pee?

There have been people on buses and planes and even in the same household as those with Ebola and they haven't caught it.

What exactly is the infection rate in the US right now?

If Ebola is not spread by air what is the medium by which the sneeze droplets are transported from A to B? Do they travel in a vacuum.

CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/cdc-admits-droplets-from-a-sneeze-could-spread-ebola/

If Ebola is not spread by air what is the medium by which the sneeze droplets are transported from A to B?

So then using that criteria, anything which can move or be projected through the air can therefore be "spread by air"?

"Spread by air" is an imprecise term. If you mean airborne, then say it. Fleas are one of the top ten jumpers in the world, jumping 200 times their own body length through the air. But we certainly don't say that bubonic plague is spread by air.

If Ebola is not spread by air what is the medium by which the sneeze droplets are transported from A to B?

So then using that criteria, anything which can move or be projected through the air can therefore be "spread by air"?

"Spread by air" is an imprecise term. If you mean airborne, then say it. Fleas are one of the top ten jumpers in the world, jumping 200 times their own body length through the air. But we certainly don't say that bubonic plague is spread by air.

U.S. Army has published a widely used medical management handbook, now in its seventh edition, that warns viral hemorrhagic fever, the category of viruses that includes Ebola, can be an airborne threat in certain circumstances.
World Health Organization urges sneeze protection
Not everyone is trying to deflect the fact that a sneeze or cough is droplets in air and has a range of up to 20 feet.

World Health Organization

Theoretically, wet and bigger droplets from a heavily infected individual, who has respiratory symptoms caused by other conditions or who vomits violently, could transmit the virus – over a short distance – to another nearby person.

This could happen when virus-laden heavy droplets are directly propelled, by coughing or sneezing (which does not mean airborne transmission) onto the mucus membranes or skin with cuts or abrasions of another person.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/world-health-organization-forced-to-admit-that-ebola-might-be-spread-to-healthcare-workers-through-coughing-and-sneezing.html

If you breath air; (who knows?) if you are close to a person who has Ebola most sane people would wear a mask. I don't think the mask will do you much good if the person vomits on you but the World Health Organization and the US Army think it may help in case of coughing and sneezing (however unlikely) infectious droplets (commonly called phlegm or other less savory names).

PS do you take my name off the posts you respond to to confuse people?

Edited by thailiketoo

If ebola was spread through coughs and sneezes in a similar manner as your standard cold or flu virus -- the US would be an ebola hot-zone right now - all these theoretical might be / maybe situations aside. A sane person would not get near an ebola person -- mask or no-mask (unless you are a medical professional) -- long developed self-preservation instincts would kick in in a normal sane person....

Seriously, the Republicans won the election, so they've mostly stopped the scaremongering.

So should everyone else.

As long as resources continue to be put into the effort in the hot zone, this outbreak will be quelled.

Not that I'm saying thousands won't die of a viral outbreak this winter, but I never saw the 'flu get this kind of hysterical coverage.

If ebola was spread through coughs and sneezes in a similar manner as your standard cold or flu virus -- the US would be an ebola hot-zone right now - all these theoretical might be / maybe situations aside. A sane person would not get near an ebola person -- mask or no-mask (unless you are a medical professional) -- long developed self-preservation instincts would kick in in a normal sane person....

You wrote, "If ebola was spread through coughs and sneezes in a similar manner as your standard cold or flu virus -- the US would be an ebola hot-zone right now" CDC admits droplets from a sneeze could spread Ebola

The World Health Organization has just issued new guidelines for health workers that specify protective equipment should be worn to protect the mouth, nose and eyes from contaminated droplets and fluids.

The WHO guidelines are based on a review of care of Ebola patients, the U.N. agency said.

Meanwhile, Friday, the CDC website removed a “Fact Sheet” posted Thursday that stirred controversy by admitting after weeks of apparent denial that Ebola can be spread by coughing and sneezing.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/who-urges-sneeze-protection-while-cdc-retreats/

^ You're just repeating the maybes and mights again.... I read that before I posted. I was just saying from observation - the theory that it might be spread through coughs and sneezes (which is not a symptom of ebola) seems to be statistically insignificant based on observation....