How does one say 'little brother' in thai

advancebooking

My wifes elder brother is in late 20's and she is slightly younger. I am 13 yrs senior to him. He has not been treating me with respect.

Someone said call him 'little brother'. is that pronounced 'nong chai'?

when he arrives at my house, for example, is it correct that I should not wai him at all. We've had our issues and as he is younger he is supposed to wai me. If he does this should I wai him back or not?

thanks

น้องชาย (nong chai)

Sounds like this:

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/P197356.mp3

No, you should not wai him first.

Thats for sure.

If he does not wai, best ignore him.

If he does a wai I would smile at him and nod.

Best talk to your wife how to handle him.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Don't wai at anyone. Makes life so much easier.

sooo right.......we have 10 staff and when they come and go they wai and I answer it. That get a real exercise.....If we grow than 8-9 and 16-17 will be only wai time....

Everyone else I just respond with a big smile.

Any chance he has an issue with the age difference between you and his sister? I find it's kinda 50/50 here. Some Thais clearly don't care about age difference. Some though have a big issue with it. One of my recent gf was 15 years younger and a few of my more conservative Thai friends thought it was totally inappropriate.

Whatever it is, I'd worry less about what you call him and just try to show him you're a cool guy. Take him out for a few beers or something.

He is full of himself. I call all my wife's brothers by their nickname, and they are in their 30's. They call me by my first name.

Sipi you are lucky that they call you by your first name.

They call me Farang.......w00t.gif

At least haven't heard them calling me Buk Farang.......but who knows what the say behind my back.

That's another secret to extract from my wife......whistling.gif

• Like 1

He is full of himself. I call all my wife's brothers by their nickname, and they are in their 30's. They call me by my first name.

Sipi you are lucky that they call you by your first name.

They call me Farang.......w00t.gif

At least haven't heard them calling me Buk Farang.......but who knows what the say behind my back.

That's another secret to extract from my wife......whistling.gif

It actually took a while to figure out that they were addressing me by my first name. They would call me "Pillif", and when I asked my wife "What is the English translation of the Thai word "Pillif?" She replied...."They are calling you by your first name...Phillip"

And yes, I get called Farang (normally in the third person); but I love it. It is their country and I find it a term of endearment.

• Like 1