Thalassemia

girluk77

My eldest son whose father is thai had a blood test last week as he's been suffering from excessive sweating. It's come back showing he's low in iron which is surprising as he eats a lot of iron rich foods. Is it possible that he might have the minor form of thalassemia if passed from one parent only? I'll ask the doctor to test for this when we see him next week. Just wondering how common this is among thais and does anyone have any experience?

Sent from my C5303 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thalessemia is very common in Thailand and a Thai doctor would be unlikely to miss it.

It is not, however, a cause of low iron, in fact iron levels can be dangerously high in thalessemia

It would help to know the full CBC results (blood count) as this would clarify if anemic and if so the type of anemia

Hookworm infestation needs to be considered if he has an iron deficiency anemia. Common and easily treated.

Thanks for the reply. We're in the UK, so wouldnt think it would be hookworm unless he picked it up earlier in the year when we were there. I don't have the actual results yet was just told over the phone

If his CBC is normal then the low iron levels are not considered pathological. He may need more nutritionally, (Fe rich foods) since most iron supplements are toxic.

If the CBC is abnormal, then he needs a full hematological work up to rule out a number of different etiologies.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

What are the effects of Thalassemia?

How does it affect people physically and psychologically?

Most people are non symptomatic from what I can remember. They usually find out from screening blood tests. Others may have a variety of symptoms.

Here are some sites that offer more information on the subject

http://www.thalassemia.org/learn-about-thalassemia/about-thalassemia/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thalassemia/basics/definition/con-20030316

My son was born in the UK and has never been tested. His Dad thinks he has it as was told he was anaemic when younger.

Talked with the doctor today and he's going to send him for more blood tests. All the other tests were fine, just his iron level was low

Also be aware that even with the most minor form of Thalassemia, a fever caused by a cold or flu virus or other source can cause hemolysis. Keeping a close eye on them and getting a blood count quickly if any listlessness is noted is important. The red blood count can drop rapidly with a fever.

• Like 1

Iron levels are not low in thalessemia unless here is a concurrent iron deficiency. Thalessemia itself will not only not cause low iron levels but is often marked by abnormally high iron levels.

girluk77, what puzzles me is that serum ferritin is not a test that would normally be performed as part of an initial screening or work-up, unless earlier abnormal test results has indicated a possible iron deficiency anemia.

Is it possible that the test he had was a CBC and the results showed anemia? People sometimes make the mistake of assuming that anemia and "low iron" are synonymous.

• 4 weeks later...